HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Brian Burke: "I understand the fans frustration, believe me." (Jan 28th)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
  #76
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Being a fan for 38 years, your darn right I'm invested in this team.

But your statement is all about perspective no?

Some could argue that you are to invested in hockey as a whole sitting at over 10,000 posts.

I don't mean that as a slight in anyway shape or form.

It's about perspective.

Frankly i don't know if you used to be a so called "tanker" or not but i will say this.

What is happening this year is surely taking it's tole on many ex tankers.


Nothing wrong with that.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
  #77
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
This season has taken a toll on everyone who watches the team with a strong desire to succeed. Right now this is a bad team, so the people who want to win now are upset. Those who want to tank, see the lack of a pick and get upset. What's lost in all of this is that NOBODY is happy with the current situation, there are just different ways to handle it.

It's clear to me this is the lowest point for the board since I've been a member. There's non-stop jabs and people go out of their way to attack the person rather than the concept. There's little patience at the moment for anything, for a full rebuild to take place (which I think is likely if these next two years are horrid) or for Burke's plan to take it's shape. Most of us have gotten caught up in the negativity (I'm guilty) one way or another, but at this point, the board is rather pathetic. Well thought out posts come few and far between, instead of intelligent discussion it's been replaced with bickering, stereotypes and aggressive indifference.
Well said. I'm so tired of partisan bickering. It's reached a point where one cannot post an opinion without inciting a rant from one side or the other. All threads inevitably degenerate into the same idiotic (on both sides) discussion.

LeafDangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:42 PM
  #78
080
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
Burke, you dont understand **** all.

You told us we wouldnt put up with a loser, so what did you do? You made us worse! And you gave away the one thing we have been clamoring for for years!

He thought he had a trade in November, he thought the team would do better, he thought Boston would be getting a mid first ronud pick. Well I think Burke is a pretty crappy GM.

I am so sick of Burke's excuses.
I think this sums up how most people seem to feel. The last few seasons a lot of people have been praying the team tanks - asking for players to be traded away in hopes that the team would finish even lower in the standings. Now the one time we get a shot at a top-three pick we don't have our first-rounder.

As bad as this sounds I really hope Hall/Seguin are busts. It would make me feel so much better as a Leafs fan.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
  #79
The Iceman
Registered User
 
The Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
IMO those were good signings.

Beachemin and Komi can bring a lot to a team. Kubina was a salary dump for Exelby to make room for Koni.

This summer Burke will target some big fish, what he'll get no one knows, but he will at least attempt. I mean what choice does he have? we dont have any 1st round picks for the next 17 years.

I'm guessing we miss out on Marleau and Kovy, but Burke will land Plekanecs. Who IMO could be the best signing (if he signs for 4.5-5)

Imagine Plekanecs with Kessel
Who would you rather have right now?
Kubina and the cap space and asset he can bring at the deadline, or Komi and his over-valued contract?

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:45 PM
  #80
TorFC-TML*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
I hope they turn out to be superstars.

Anything that will help get Brian Burke fired faster.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
  #81
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
This season has taken a toll on everyone who watches the team with a strong desire to succeed. Right now this is a bad team, so the people who want to win now are upset. Those who want to tank, see the lack of a pick and get upset. What's lost in all of this is that NOBODY is happy with the current situation, there are just different ways to handle it.

It's clear to me this is the lowest point for the board since I've been a member. There's non-stop jabs and people go out of their way to attack the person rather than the concept. There's little patience at the moment for anything, for a full rebuild to take place (which I think is likely if these next two years are horrid) or for Burke's plan to take it's shape. Most of us have gotten caught up in the negativity (I'm guilty) one way or another, but at this point, the board is rather pathetic. Well thought out posts come few and far between, instead of intelligent discussion it's been replaced with bickering, stereotypes and aggressive indifference.
I'm doing my best to stay positive, believe it or not.

The last time i was this furious with the ownership and GM was back in the Ballard days.

I refuse to type what i don't feel in my mind or heart.

SHRUG, who knows maybe some of you are paid to post here for different reasons or agendas? I get that.

But you have a lot of people that have tucked tail and ran since their heady posts and optimism back in sept/oct. They are either completely gone or just lurking.

Then you have those that still need to vent. But hey, there still here typing atleast.

I dare say things could get awful quiet around here if it was only the optimists chiming in.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
  #82
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I'm doing my best to stay positive, believe it or not.

The last time i was this furious with the ownership and GM was back in the Ballard days.

I refuse to type what i don't feel in my mind or heart.

SHRUG, who knows maybe some of you are paid to post here for different reasons or agendas? I get that.

But you have a lot of people that have tucked tail and ran since their heady posts and optimism back in sept/oct. They are either completely gone or just lurking.

Then you have those that still need to vent. But hey, there still here typing atleast.

I dare say things could get awful quiet around here if it was only the optimists chiming in.

The optimists have stopped posting because they get trampled by the negative side for having optimistic thoughts. "Good lord, someone still likes the leafs." Most threads turn sour. I'm an optimist and was in Sept/Oct, and well, the season didn't work out. The goaltending was expected to be so much better.

I think I just have fun calling people out for being disrespectful, rather than angry at not being respected for my opinion.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:52 PM
  #83
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,813
vCash: 50
not to be insensitive but hes a yankee he doesn't understand blue and white passion.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
  #84
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
This season has taken a toll on everyone who watches the team with a strong desire to succeed. Right now this is a bad team, so the people who want to win now are upset. Those who want to tank, see the lack of a pick and get upset. What's lost in all of this is that NOBODY is happy with the current situation, there are just different ways to handle it.

It's clear to me this is the lowest point for the board since I've been a member. There's non-stop jabs and people go out of their way to attack the person rather than the concept. There's little patience at the moment for anything, for a full rebuild to take place (which I think is likely if these next two years are horrid) or for Burke's plan to take it's shape. Most of us have gotten caught up in the negativity (I'm guilty) one way or another, but at this point, the board is rather pathetic. Well thought out posts come few and far between, instead of intelligent discussion it's been replaced with bickering, stereotypes and aggressive indifference.
Look , i would have been half as pissed as i am right now if i had never seen that ESPN interview with BB.

My major frustration is with ownership and their unwillingness to change.

I actually had half a glimmer of hope that they finally saw the light and that ALL options had been opened to BB.

Frankly, I'm also very pissed at myself for allowing that half glimmer of hope.

That whole fool me once, fool me twice.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
  #85
Azura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
well you shouldnt trade two 1sts and a 2nd if you dont have someone to play with him. The 5-6 million dollar centres that are worthy of playing with kessel dont exactly fall of trees... usually you have to draft those players... thats tough to do without 1st rounders
Exactly, which is why I didn't understand the need for Kessel. Maybe in a few years but not this season and not for the price of the Leafs future.

Azura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
  #86
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=EazyB97;23471128]This season has taken a toll on everyone who watches the team with a strong desire to succeed. Right now this is a bad team, so the people who want to win now are upset. Those who want to tank, see the lack of a pick and get upset. What's lost in all of this is that NOBODY is happy with the current situation, there are just different ways to handle it.

It's clear to me this is the lowest point for the board since I've been a member. There's non-stop jabs and people go out of their way to attack the person rather than the concept. There's little patience at the moment for anything, for a full rebuild to take place (which I think is likely if these next two years are horrid) or for Burke's plan to take it's shape. Most of us have gotten caught up in the negativity (I'm guilty) one way or another, but at this point, the board is rather pathetic. Well thought out posts come few and far between, instead of intelligent discussion it's been replaced with bickering, stereotypes and aggressive indifference.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunate but true. Maybe a segregation is required.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
  #87
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
And the realists have fun calling out the delusional apoligists who like to pretend that Burke hasnt driven this franchise off a cliff.
And I like calling out people who use big words in contexts where they don't really belong, but can't spell them. It's apologist.

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
  #88
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
The optimists have stopped posting because they get trampled by the negative side for having optimistic thoughts. "Good lord, someone still likes the leafs." Most threads turn sour. I'm an optimist and was in Sept/Oct, and well, the season didn't work out. The goaltending was expected to be so much better.

I think I just have fun calling people out for being disrespectful, rather than angry at not being respected for my opinion.
Brother that is a two way street and you know it.

I went back and checked the posts back in sept/oct and the funny thing is. The positive posters were no saints back then either.

The naysayers got their collective teeth kicked in back then.


Last edited by Faltorvo: 01-28-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:03 PM
  #89
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Brian Burke doesn't understand the typical Toronto Maple Leafs fan's frustration.

The typical fan can't actually do something about the make up of the team.

The typical fan doesn't get paid millions of dollars for what to many would be a dream job.

The typical fan doesn't get bonuses, stocks and whatever else for the organization making a profit regardless of the performance of the team.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
  #90
New Liskeard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
well you shouldnt trade two 1sts and a 2nd if you dont have someone to play with him. The 5-6 million dollar centres that are worthy of playing with kessel dont exactly fall of trees... usually you have to draft those players... thats tough to do without 1st rounders
I remeber the constant whining about the Leafs not having a first line calibre player. The Leafs finally get one and the moaning about not having a second first line player to play with the newly aquired one has begun. I suppose these things happen automatically.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
  #91
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
None of what I've posted is "based" on anything but my opinion. I'm basing it on the highly scientific "gut feeling" that Finger will get bought out. A 7th d-man making 4th d-man money is a no no and I think Burke will buy him out, or re-enter him, to give him a chance to play in the NHL. He won't bury him.

And hey, if we only disagree about 1 player in 23, do we really disagree?
Disagree on that list you posted? Nope what you put up there is inline with what I'm thinking here.

Other then Finger and that came down to semantics.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
  #92
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Brian Burke doesn't understand the typical Toronto Maple Leafs fan's frustration.

The typical fan can't actually do something about the make up of the team.

The typical fan doesn't get paid millions of dollars for what to many would be a dream job.

The typical fan doesn't get bonuses, stocks and whatever else for the organization making a profit regardless of the performance of the team.
Class War, 4:00pm tomorrow!

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:07 PM
  #93
TorFC-TML*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
And I like calling out people who use big words in contexts where they don't really belong, but can't spell them. It's apologist.

“The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.”
I apoligize for my grevious spelling mistake. My work computer doesnt have a very up to date web browser.

I would love to hear how I was using 'big words' out of context though.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:08 PM
  #94
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
And the realists have fun calling out the delusional apoligists who like to pretend that Burke hasnt driven this franchise off a cliff.
If apologist is going to be your new favourite word then at least spell it correctly.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
  #95
TorFC-TML*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If apologist is going to be your new favourite word then at least spell it correctly.
If youre going to point out spelling mistakes then at least be the first one to do so.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
  #96
The Maple Leaf
Registered User
 
The Maple Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ccountable-for

Here's a rational take on the situation written a while back in January, but it still fits the context of this season.

The Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
  #97
Courage*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
I apoligize for my grevious spelling mistake. My work computer doesnt have a very up to date web browser.

I would love to hear how I was using 'big words' out of context though.
What does your browser have to do with continually misspelling "apologist"?

Using the epithet "apologist" in this context is an attempt to give the user and this discussion an air of import far out of proportion with reality. It's a trumped up chat room. Get some perspective. Never mind that it's a rather tired tactic for negatively branding one's perceived opponents, rather than confront their opinions. It functions as an insult, rather than as an argument. It's a tired and crappy thing to do in real debates that actually matter. Here, it's absurd.


Last edited by Courage*: 01-28-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
  #98
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,405
vCash: 500
Keep it up brother, you know your pissing folks off when they resort to the heady tactic of attacking pselling, gramma and punchyouasians.

I'm glad Jacques Demers and his Stanely cup ring came out and explained to the world that one can be illiterate and still have a valid hockey opinion.

I always thought one had to be an English lit major to be taken seriously up until then.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
  #99
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Class War, 4:00pm tomorrow!
I think some fans are just arguing out loud with their own unspoken thoughts right now. I see that ULF has stopped fighting it. Welcome back to the dark side ULF. Don't let the Sunshine Police stop you! Courage, you're next. The sarcasm, the mockery, all signs that the voice inside your head knows We're right. Come join us in Negativity Hell, it's bliss!

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 04:24 PM
  #100
Volcanologist
Habitual User
 
Volcanologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kessel Apocalypse
Country: Germany
Posts: 20,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
The fact is, the team’s not winning and I haven’t made any changes. I understand, this is the GM’s problem. I accept that. You want to blame somebody, blame me.
Way ahead of ya, Burkie...

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.