HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

News & Notes 2009-2010 V

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Fools errand. I like it. What I dont like is the simple fact that Koci clearly and with malice head shot/hit in the back Green and got a pass. Green with the same no history retaliation hit with an elbow that got Gonchar zip, gets Green 3 games.

Its not the 3 games. For me its the net three games when you add the Koci hit into the mix. The next time a Caps player is the victim where will you be when that gets another walk?

Old
02-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Green deserved to be punished for pitting Frolik's head with his elbow. Fortunately Frolik bounced back up and played after a short respite, or it would have been longer. I have no problem with that suspension, and don't care how the league has or has not acted in other cases. It got the Green punishment about right, or close enough to be within the margin of error, by my reckoning.

Don't hit people in the head. You can't go far wrong following that simple dictum these days. Do and you should expect to be suspended.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Green deserved to be punished for pitting Frolik's head with his elbow. Fortunately Frolik bounced back up and played after a short respite, or it would have been longer. I have no problem with that suspension, and don't care how the league has or has not acted in other cases. It got the Green punishment about right, or close enough to be within the margin of error, by my reckoning.

Don't hit people in the head. You can't go far wrong following that simple dictum these days. Do and you should expect to be suspended.
The problem is that in two cases the Caps have recieved more severe punishment than is normally given out, and in this case the gap was severe.

Yeah, Green deserved to sit no question. The issue is bigger than that. The league is downright arbitrary with its discipline, and any time the media wants to bring the point up is fine by me. It's not about safety or upholding any kind of true standard, it's about spinning the wheel o' justice and basically ignoring any real sense.

The variability isn't acceptable. Even if the target of that specific argument is a reach the basis is strong.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:27 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Really? All this yammering over a 3 game suspension?

Take it. Move on.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:28 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:

I completely agree with there being punishment for his actions. 2 games should have been the absolute maximum though. Seriously, there has been what…1 suspension that was more then 2 games this year?

Here is something else to stir the pot… Koci which is a player with a recent reputation and Sutton with some things 2+ years ago… One gets 2 games and the other gets nothing…

Old
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Al May is smart. The media coverage sets the suspension length more the act itself. You wonder why Koci didnt get suspended? Because we were on the road and it was late. The league knew all the hypersensitive stay at home mass emailers types were all fast asleep. I think all the drugs we get pushed has created an overly hypersensitive society, when you'd think we are all emotionless robots. People feigning shock and horror when they really dont give a rats ass needs to be exposed for what they are, liars.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Al May is smart. The media coverage sets the suspension length more the act itself. You wonder why Koci didnt get suspended? Because we were on the road and it was late. The league knew all the hypersensitive stay at home mass emailers types were all fast asleep. I think all the drugs we get pushed has created an overly hypersensitive society, when you'd think we are all emotionless robots. People feigning shock and horror when they really dont give a rats ass needs to be exposed for what they are, liars.
Actually, I would go with hypersensitive media and a jaded/lethargic masses that just won't call them on it.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

Based on what? Because it was a headshot? There have been several of those this season that have been far worse. Apparently, you can't expect to be suspended. That's not the league's precedent. How many times have we heard that punishments reflect the results of the hit from credible analysts? Or that they're based on player's history? That's thrown out the window for this one case?

It was a logic-defying decision more than likely influenced by the recent Cormier hit and Boudreau and May and anyone else invested in the Caps' success have a right to be irritated by it.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
yay

Don't forget - this wasn't the normal disciplinary procedure. Murphy made the call, not Campbell.

Next time Campbell has to make one, I'm sure it will be business as usual. ie, inconsistent.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:45 PM
LetsGoBears

Let me go on the record that IF the NHL is going to start enforcing head shots (including sending someone head first into the boards) more seriously due to the Jr. incident i'll back down. The NHL has a long way to go though…

Old
02-02-2010, 12:48 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Seriously.

This was a decision made by a single person who normally does not make these decisions. And you're looking for consistency? If anything, I'd expect this one to be the aberration.

Next time you get pulled over for speeding, make sure you tell the cop that the guy next to you was going faster than you were. I'm sure he'll let you go.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Foy

Did green receive any punishment for that hit in the Rangers series last spring? That's the only thing I can think of that would give the league pause.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Did green receive any punishment for that hit in the Rangers series last spring? That's the only thing I can think of that would give the league pause.
He did not. There was chatter that he would be suspended for game 7 but he played.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:58 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Actually, I would go with hypersensitive media and a jaded/lethargic masses that just won't call them on it.
Good point. Much of hypersensitivity is perceived but I didnt delve into that because everyone perceives things differently. Although watching the anti health care bill... fanatics screaming at town hall meetings makes me think it is not perceived at all. They were basically opposing healthcare for everyone but with your eyes closed, you'd think their hair was on fire. Feigning of shock and horror became comical, an overnight youboob hit.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Seriously.

This was a decision made by a single person who normally does not make these decisions. And you're looking for consistency? If anything, I'd expect this one to be the aberration.

Next time you get pulled over for speeding, make sure you tell the cop that the guy next to you was going faster than you were. I'm sure he'll let you go.
But it's not Green doing the chattering here.

If the media lets this type of thing go, does it ever get fixed?

Maybe it never gets fixed regardless, but it's kind of their job to try.

Again, May's rant was misdirected most likely, but the issue at its core is something he's not going to ignore most likely.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Seriously.

I don't think that's the best comparison. Hundreds of thousands of people speed every day. Hits like this only happen a handful of times each season. You can't expect a speeder to provide video evidence of what the guy next do you was doing but it is very easy to point to similar incidents and the precedent that has been set.

I agree with the sentiment that if this is the beginning of a crackdown on hits like this, then it's all well and good and I'd welcome the stiffer punishment for future incidents.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:03 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Seriously.

You aren't pissed when you're whored for some minor traffic infraction bc some cop is trying to reach a state-mandated quota?

If any good comes out of this, it's the Caps taking the Us vs. the System approach. It could help them with any overconfidence.

Old
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You aren't pissed when you're whored for some minor traffic infraction bc some cop is trying to reach a state-mandated quota?
Absolutely, but it doesn't change the fact that I was driving over the speed limit, an act that I know and understand to be against the law. When I drive over the limit I accept the associated risk of getting pulled over no matter what anyone else on the road is doing.

The league made the right call with Green. They have made the wrong call on numerous occasions but that doesn't mean that they should continue making the wrong call.

Old
02-02-2010, 02:48 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
Absolutely, but it doesn't change the fact that I was driving over the speed limit, an act that I know and understand to be against the law. When I drive over the limit I accept the associated risk of getting pulled over no matter what anyone else on the road is doing.

The league made the right call with Green. They have made the wrong call on numerous occasions but that doesn't mean that they should continue making the wrong call.
What if you get pulled over for going 5 over and are cited for wreckless driving?

You'd accept that?

All I'm saying is that I can see where May and Bruce are coming from. A little consistency please.

Old
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Caps are #1 in Buccigross's newest power rankings. His explanation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buccigross
Explosive and balanced scoring, and much of that scoring is coming from young players who are still getting better. Worried about goaltending? Here are your Stanley Cup-winning goalies since the 2004-05 lockout: Cam Ward, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Chris Osgood and Marc-Andre Fleury. That isn't exactly Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. What do all four post-lockout Cup-winning teams have in common? They all scored a lot of goals.
Link to article (power rankings on the right): http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...nce-nhl-scales

Old
02-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
Caps are #1 in Buccigross's newest power rankings. His explanation:

Link to article (power rankings on the right): http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/pa...nce-nhl-scales
how does Pittsburgh have "a dynamic defense" while we have nothing but question marks?

edit: and wow, Beachgrower in the comments has to be one of the stupidest commenters I've ever seen. I'm in stitches from some of the gold he's putting up there.

Last edited by Foy: 02-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

i would love to know if anyone has found a piece that talks about Chimera and how he settled into the system we play.
whether he thinks hes got it down pat yet or whether he struggled for a while etc....

Old
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yup! There's one linked in post #113 in this thread.

Old
02-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
What if you get pulled over for going 5 over and are cited for wreckless driving?

You'd accept that?

All I'm saying is that I can see where May and Bruce are coming from. A little consistency please.
No argument from me there - they are consistently inconsistent with their rulings. But I can't sit here and say that Green shouldn't have been punished just because they've **** up their rulings in the past. Basing future decisions on past decisions is a slippery slope, especially when past decisions have been shaky.

You could argue the length of the suspension but it's generally in the right ballpark.

Old
02-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Quote:
Yup! There's one linked in post #113 in this thread.
whoa, perfect!
thanks for that. great read

Closed Thread