HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre McGuire on TEAM 990

Old
02-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Not that I'm saying I'd be for or against McGuire... but he's paid to be like that on TV. He wasn't such an insane maniac when he was on CJAD as a member of the Habs' PBP team.
I agree with this.

He's known as a 'character' on TSN and he does the role well, but if he had a position on a team he would definitely calm down act more like a GM

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:31 PM
camnly

As a Bruin's fan, I hope Pierre becomes your GM. He is a clown, that flip flops on every position as long as it suits the moment. I am not sure why anyone would hire a brodcaster to be GM. Correct me if I am wrong, but he has been talking longer than he has been coaching. Someone please tell him he was not the coach of the Pens, and that he basically opened the door for the guys coming to the bench.

camnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnly View Post
As a Bruin's fan, I hope Pierre becomes your GM. He is a clown, that flip flops on every position as long as it suits the moment. I am not sure why anyone would hire a brodcaster to be GM. Correct me if I am wrong, but he has been talking longer than he has been coaching. Someone please tell him he was not the coach of the Pens, and that he basically opened the door for the guys coming to the bench.
Gauthier is the GM.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
andy28

Quote:
well said. not gm material. i cant believe anyone would even consider this

andy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:17 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Leave it to a Bruin's fan to come on here and actually say what ALL Habs fans should be saying!!

Anybody who wants this guy as GM is an idiot. He is a failure as head coach, has zero experience as GM and was the water-boy for Scotty Bowman and claims some sort of credit for SB's achievements?

Well, BG is gone much to my regret and he will be portrayed as a villain but he did what he could in the market we have. I hope Gauthier does well because the day McGuire is GM is the day I root for 29 other teams. If the Habs hire a ZERO experience GM with a ZERO GM experience track record and a LOSING record as head coach I'll tune out for while until we regain some sort of respectability. This organization deserves better than being a proving ground for untested and unexperienced administrators simply because they are bilingual or they are visible in the media.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Leave it to a Bruin's fan to come on here and actually say what ALL Habs fans should be saying!!

Anybody who wants this guy as GM is an idiot. He is a failure as head coach, has zero experience as GM and was the water-boy for Scotty Bowman and claims some sort of credit for SB's achievements?

Well, BG is gone much to my regret and he will be portrayed as a villain but he did what he could in the market we have. I hope Gauthier does well because the day McGuire is GM is the day I root for 29 other teams. If the Habs hire a ZERO experience GM with a ZERO GM experience track record and a LOSING record as head coach I'll tune out for while until we regain some sort of respectability. This organization deserves better than being a proving ground for untested and unexperienced administrators simply because they are bilingual or they are visible in the media.
Totally agree. The Montreal Canadiens is the most storied franchise ever. Millions and millions of dollars of revenue. Trusting a guy like Maguire who has no experience whatsoever is foolishness and suicide. Any president that would give Maguire the Habs GM position at this moment would have to have no business sense, no experience and should not be in the position that he's in. The last time this happened, the Habs went into the darkest period in franchise history. How this isn't clear and evident to some fans is beyond me.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:32 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

just wondering if anyone heard McGuire tonight on team 990 ? couldn't listen online....

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
HabsoluteFate

i dont like McGuire but if he became Montreal's gm i would win either way....sort of

if he did well then i win as a fan
if he did not do well then i would win as a fan because i'd kind of get a smile deep down because he always talks like he could do a better job and he would have failed at it....

having said that if he was the gm i would hope i'm wrong and he's right and did a good job

all of this is talk for nothing because apparently gauthier has a 4 year deal which i cant understand

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 10:03 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
just wondering if anyone heard McGuire tonight on team 990 ? couldn't listen online....
Yes... he tried to play it cool and diplomatic. But his resentment / jealousy became more and more evident as the segment progressed.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
Is it true that Pierre Gauthier fired the Sens coach, Dave Allison (2-22-1) and all his assistant coaches... including Pierre McGuire? François Gagnon mentioned it here: http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon/?p=70315643

If it is true, I guess we should expect some harsh critics directed at Gauthier!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Totally agree. The Montreal Canadiens is the most storied franchise ever. Millions and millions of dollars of revenue. Trusting a guy like Maguire who has no experience whatsoever is foolishness and suicide. Any president that would give Maguire the Habs GM position at this moment would have to have no business sense, no experience and should not be in the position that he's in. The last time this happened, the Habs went into the darkest period in franchise history. How this isn't clear and evident to some fans is beyond me.
how can you equate Mcguire to Houle??? Houle had ZERO experience in hockey post his playing career... he was an exec at molson, and put in place pretty much to be the fall guy as the ownership group looked to cut player costs by unloading as many salaries as possible.

McGuire has been consistently involved in hockey for his entire life, he was a scout and an assistant coach with the cup winning pens, he has head coaching experience, and since going into the media side of things, he's quickly moved the ranks going from play-by-play guy to one of the most respected/coveted Analysts in the business.

You may not like Mcguire, or may think he'd do a bad job, but to equate hiring him to the houle hiring is simply way off base. If that's to "beyond you" to figure out... no need to say it, it's pretty obvious.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 01:55 AM
habtastic

Quote:

Agreeing fully with a bruins fan here.

I think this has also been one of the many debates that have filled our ceremonious centennial.

Whoever are saying that Pierre WOULD "calm down" if he were behind the desk and that's just a character he plays, sorry, he's not Stephen Colbert-- That's Pierre Mcguire.

However it comes out, his opinions are pure and simply hyperbolic, always over the top and when he does "notice" something at the top of his voice it's....say it with me...obbbbbvvviiioussss

but at least he had a great time in Leksand at the WJCs that we keep hearing about

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Wow...

Yeah lets not blame the coach who treated him like ****, or the GM who gave him away... Roy is the greatest Hab since Guy Lafleur and the best Hab goalie along with Plante, deal with it.
Guy Lafleur wouldn't be a good GM either. Patrick Roy would be poison.

No thanks.

Hopefully Gauthier works out.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Fozz

McGuire has done nothing in his entire career to show that he could be a successful NHL GM. I much prefer someone that has built good hockey teams in the past.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Pierre McObvious is a clown. He'd be a Larry Pleau in his younger years, a man who never saw a trade he didn't like. Pierre would be trading players between periods, and would be absolutely preyed upon by experienced managers.

His afternoon interview on 990 was revealing. Pierre couldn't hold back his bitterness. While stating twice that he doesn't know how Montreal's scouting system works (because the organization is tight and secretive) he went on to blame Gauthier for poor scouting. If you don't know how it works Pierre, then how are you so in-the-know about Gauthier's role in it?

When asked if he applied for the Montreal GM's job he went on that he's "never applied for any job he's had" going on that people come to him with offers. Pure arrogance, and nothing that any front office needs.

He's an entertainer, that's why I laugh at people here who endorse him for a management job.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Pierre McObvious is a clown. He'd be a Larry Pleau in his younger years, a man who never saw a trade he didn't like. Pierre would be trading players between periods, and would be absolutely preyed upon by experienced managers.

His afternoon interview on 990 was revealing. Pierre couldn't hold back his bitterness. While stating twice that he doesn't know how Montreal's scouting system works (because the organization is tight and secretive) he went on to blame Gauthier for poor scouting. If you don't know how it works Pierre, then how are you so in-the-know about Gauthier's role in it?

When asked if he applied for the Montreal GM's job he went on that he's "never applied for any job he's had" going on that people come to him with offers. Pure arrogance, and nothing that any front office needs.

He's an entertainer, that's why I laugh at people here who endorse him for a management job.
Which explains why he's still working for TSN. He's got it easy... He's always been in a position to critic other's work without ever having to put his own head on the block.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I was listening on team 990 yesterday for a bit...and I was shocked how many people called wanting McGuire to be the GM.

First of all, the guy was never a GM. Yes he might have the best connections and he might have a very good knowledge on every single player out there, but let's face it, I dont think he can handle a job as the Montreal Canadiens General Manager...

I'd put him as assistant maybe cuz he has all the connections and what not, but as a GM I wouldn't risk it really it could go either way

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
maci4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post

BUT BUT BUT, HE'S BILINGUAL!!!

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post
I was listening on team 990 yesterday for a bit...and I was shocked how many people called wanting McGuire to be the GM.

First of all, the guy was never a GM. Yes he might have the best connections and he might have a very good knowledge on every single player out there, but let's face it, I dont think he can handle a job as the Montreal Canadiens General Manager...

I'd put him as assistant maybe cuz he has all the connections and what not, but as a GM I wouldn't risk it really it could go either way
Let's not mistake the regurgitation of scouting reports with the actual ability to assess things. Pierre's nuts have never been in a vice and he's never been asked to make a long range prediction that he has to live with.

The guy is fickle and we have some hab examples about that. Pierre drooled over Tom Pyatt when he was drafted, but was indifferent-to-critical over him when Montreal acquired him not long after (knowing now that he's not a fan of Gauthier there are clues now as to why), the book was out on Huet, then it wasn't , and he's got an absolute over the top mancrush on the yet-to-mature Carey Price. Can't tell what that translates into hockey decisions but that sounds like a guy who hastily comes to extreme decisions about players then says "oops" once enough time passes. If Carey Price doesn't pan out I can hardly wait to hear Pierre McBacktrack talk about it.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 08:05 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
BUT BUT BUT, HE'S BILINGUAL!!!
Seriously. What do his sexual preferences have to do with anything??

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Let's not mistake the regurgitation of scouting reports with the actual ability to assess things. Pierre's nuts have never been in a vice and he's never been asked to make a long range prediction that he has to live with.

The guy is fickle and we have some hab examples about that. Pierre drooled over Tom Pyatt when he was drafted, but was indifferent-to-critical over him when Montreal acquired him not long after (knowing now that he's not a fan of Gauthier there are clues now as to why), the book was out on Huet, then it wasn't , and he's got an absolute over the top mancrush on the yet-to-mature Carey Price. Can't tell what that translates into hockey decisions but that sounds like a guy who hastily comes to extreme decisions about players then says "oops" once enough time passes. If Carey Price doesn't pan out I can hardly wait to hear Pierre McBacktrack talk about it.
or could it be the 'over-the-top' kind of analysis that goes with being a member of the media, battling for ratings by being brash and outspoken...

your comments equate to saying that Gillis (vancouver GM) would be a bad choice as GM because he's spent years trying to get the most money FOR the players and now won't be able to do the opposite.

People need to wake up and realize that any good T.V personality is basically a good actor, able to give his audience the "show" that they want... doesn't mean he walks around shouting WHAM BAM OH MOMMA HE'S A MONSTER outside of the studio.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
...would be right up there with Corey's monumental blunder of the Houle-Tremblay duo.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaMMuT View Post

Plus...when you are GM of the Habs, you connections to other teams' scouts mean squat because the last thing they will do is give you inside info on guys that THEY want to draft. The minute you take a job with a team, your connections change and they only tell you what they want to tell you.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Joe Cole

Like him or not... spell his name correctly or you opinions sound a hell of lot less worthy of thought.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Was anyone listening to Mcguire yesterday on the Melnick show? Mcguire seems not to like Gauthier one bit. Maybe they didn't get along too well in Ottawa, or maybe Mcguire has sour grapes for not getting the GM position in Montreal, who knows. But he said that most of the good moves made in Ottawa were done by Sexton before him, and that he didn't really participate in the good drafting under his reign, it was more a decision of the scouting staff. Melnick asked him how he thought the Habs would do under Gauthier's tenure and Mcguire simply answered "next question". He looked pissed.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote