HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dream cometrue: I get to scout my own team!

Old
01-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Pierre Gotye

vCash: 500
Dream cometrue: I get to scout my own team!

So we're starting up a new team composed of four of us:

Two forwards(one's a great center)
Myself prefer D but might go up this time
and our goalie(really good).

There is a draft for this league for filler players. We'll get to sit, watch and evaluate talent to be on our team. This should be fun, I've never done it before(it's adult rec league D level hockey).

Any tips or pointers? Basically we get to watch a drop-in session and have to figure it out from there.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I've had to do this for my league/team a few times. Basically, take a ton of notes, like more than you think. Maybe try to give players a rating on a one-ten scale, ie the best player out there is a ten, and so on.

Go down your list of players, and make sure you see each guy for at least two shifts.

At that level, there should be a lot of easy ways to ID different skills. And watch for guys who think right, but maybe don't have the physical skills.

Oh, and sometimes you might have a guy who used to be really good, but hasn't skated in 10 years or something (I'm assuming D level is pretty low, like some guys who can't do backwards crossovers and the like), those guys look bad, but there's usually clues that they know what they're doing but just need to remember how to skate or get their timing down.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:27 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I've had to do this for my league/team a few times. Basically, take a ton of notes, like more than you think. Maybe try to give players a rating on a one-ten scale, ie the best player out there is a ten, and so on.

Go down your list of players, and make sure you see each guy for at least two shifts.

At that level, there should be a lot of easy ways to ID different skills. And watch for guys who think right, but maybe don't have the physical skills.

Oh, and sometimes you might have a guy who used to be really good, but hasn't skated in 10 years or something (I'm assuming D level is pretty low, like some guys who can't do backwards crossovers and the like), those guys look bad, but there's usually clues that they know what they're doing but just need to remember how to skate or get their timing down.
D is beginner adult. Just take the guys who you think you will enjoy playing with.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Pierre Gotye

I think this will be somewhat of a challenge in the fact that I'll basically be assessing players once.

It should be interesting though, and looking forward to it as I think it will be a fun experience.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
shoeshine boy

how strict is the league about having players in their proper level? my league is super-strict about this. anytime I see someone that can do a flawless backwards crossover I mark them off the beginner list.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote