A gem from that genius Chelios

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Cactus Jack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
A gem from that genius Chelios

A reporter asked Chelios what he was doing in 1978 when the flames were in Atlanta, apparently the last time these two teams met. And Chelios said I was finishing high school. That's something Americans do, Canadians don't graduate.

What a jackass. Is he still bitter about settling for Silver in Salt Lake last year? Must be because dropping that bomb had nothing to do with anything!! Chelly is just a smart as his smug, whinny face would indicate.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 881
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Everybody should bring signs saying "Hey Chelios, you're uglier than Ricci", although I'm sure he already knows that.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
A reporter asked Chelios what he was doing in 1978 when the flames were in Atlanta, apparently the last time these two teams met. And Chelios said I was finishing high school. That's something Americans do, Canadians don't graduate.

What a jackass. Is he still bitter about settling for Silver in Salt Lake last year? Must be because dropping that bomb had nothing to do with anything!! Chelly is just a smart as his smug, whinny face would indicate.
Wow, I can't believe that duphus said that. Just goes to show that idiots like that don't belong in the game

Old
04-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Higgy4

Fire...meet gasoline.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Higgy4

What is your source on this exactly? I have a feeling this is either made up, or taken out of context. Chelios has friends all over the NHL who are Canadian. I doubt he would say this. And if he did, I am sure it was tongue firmly planted in cheek.

But anyway...whats the source?

Old
04-22-2004, 03:20 PM
Higgy4

Nevermind...I found it in the Detroit Free Press.

Take it whatever way you want to take it. But I can almost guarantee this was said tongue in cheek. I wouldnt be surprised if Shanahan or Yzerman were in ear-shot of Chelios when he said it.

So anyway, like I said...more fuel for the fire.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:24 PM
Cactus Jack

I read it from the Calgary Sun today. Either way, tongue in cheek or not, which I doubt (even the paper said it was incindiary), it wasn't an intellignet thing to say. Fuel to the fire is right. He's such a whiner, he belongs on the Maple Leafs. I really have trouble respecting this guy despite his longevity and accomplishments.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Higgy4

So just because you read it from a newspaper, that means you know exactly what Chelios meant by his words? I have a greek friend who I poke fun at all the time about certain Greek traits and whatnot. Does that make me anti-greek?

I know this is on a different level, obviously. But Chelios wouldnt say this seriously in a matter-of-fact way. He agitates people in many ways, but he wouldnt go out and say something offensive to people INCLUDING many of his teamates.

Trust the media, if you will. But unless we were in the Wings locker room standing right next to Chelios when he said this, none of us know for sure what he was meaning.

But oh well. I am sure I am wasting my time. Game on!

Old
04-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
So just because you read it from a newspaper, that means you know exactly what Chelios meant by his words? I have a greek friend who I poke fun at all the time about certain Greek traits and whatnot. Does that make me anti-greek?

I know this is on a different level, obviously. But Chelios wouldnt say this seriously in a matter-of-fact way. He agitates people in many ways, but he wouldnt go out and say something offensive to people INCLUDING many of his teamates.

Trust the media, if you will. But unless we were in the Wings locker room standing right next to Chelios when he said this, none of us know for sure what he was meaning.

But oh well. I am sure I am wasting my time. Game on!
You have a point, and I agree. I'm sure Yzerman and Shanny were standing right in front of him when he said that.

THis is a stupid, harmless quote. I highly doubt he meant it with any substance.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Cactus Jack

You don't need to tell me what it's like to have english be your second language, thank you very much. I actually know what that feels like.

Anyhow, I'm not offended by it. I'm simply pointing out that it was a useless and ignorant things to say. Is there anyone here thinking it was an intelligent comment that added to the series?

And I trust the media just about as far as you could throw them. However, on a trivial matter like this, your opinion on the quote is just as subjective as mine. However, I actually trust the opinion of the people who were in the dressing room at that time and that actually heard it.

Old
04-22-2004, 04:34 PM
avfan#21

I wouldn't let him get away with it. The Flames should go out and stomp a mudhole in Detroit just for that quote.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:23 PM
TeMPZ

Quote:
THis is a stupid, harmless quote. I highly doubt he meant it with any substance.
Chelios has proven time and again that he's a classless act, there isn't many players in the league that I hate more then him. The trashed hotel room and that viscous elbow in '89 come to mind quickly. Either way, its a stupid quote that just reflects negatively upon him. Another smooth move by ol' big nose.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeMPZ
Chelios has proven time and again that he's a classless act, there isn't many players in the league that I hate more then him. The trashed hotel room and that viscous elbow in '89 come to mind quickly. Either way, its a stupid quote that just reflects negatively upon him. Another smooth move by ol' big nose.
Chelios paid for the Nagano room trashing damages (possibly out of his own pocket). Not exactly a gesture of someone who's a classless act. The incident itself most likely did not include him. No point in speculating who the perps were, as members of the Canadian media beat that dead dog enough years ago.

Viscious elbow? Well, that's playoff hockey. You could've come up with a better example than something, which happened 15 years ago. Yeah, he's dirty, but a he's also a solid leader a sure-bet Hall of Famer.

As for the new comment: a few of the other posters probably took it in the spirit, that it was intended. He might very well have said it in the presence of Stevie Y & Shanny. This story is non-starter. The real story is on the ice.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Zhackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
I read it from the Calgary Sun today. Either way, tongue in cheek or not, which I doubt (even the paper said it was incindiary), it wasn't an intellignet thing to say. Fuel to the fire is right. He's such a whiner, he belongs on the Maple Leafs. I really have trouble respecting this guy despite his longevity and accomplishments.

Oh yeah, that's the turning point of the series. Who cares what he says?

I actually thought it was funny. Canadians are too sensitive. ( I am Canadian).

But given the superior wit and cleverness of Canadian fans compared to American fans I expect to see some good signs in the Dome next week.

Closed Thread