HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

NHL rule changes -- effect on the Oilers

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 01:21 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
NHL rule changes -- effect on the Oilers

To begin with, the league recommended a few notable rule changes. Does anyone know which will be brought in next year? I was under the impression that although they were "recomendations" they would all be instituted.

I am also curiouse to see what everyone feels will be the impact of the upcoming rule changes to the Edmonton Oilers.... I'll begin with my impressions.

1)NHL goaltenders are forbidden to handle the puck behind the goal line.

Although Conklin is reasonable at playing the puck, I feel that opponent goalies ability to handle the puck was a definate disadvantage to the Oilers in years past, so this should be helpful. In addition, JDD sucks at playing the puck, so it also helps out our best goalie prospect.

On the down side, I think that our slower d-men, particularly Fergeson, and Cross might struggle with the increased preasure on them. From what some people say, Lynch is also a bit slow of foot, although I must say I never really say this when I've seen him with the RR.

2)Goalies leg pads will shrink from a maximum of 12 inches wide to 10 inches

I have no idea how this will effect our goalies. I suppose it will be a bit of a burden on big goalies that play positionally, like JDD, but honestly I have no idea who this will hurt the most, and by how much.

3)Nets will be moved back 3 feet, to within 10 feet of the end boards

I don't think it will be a particularly huge change.

4)Tag-up offside will return

I guess an advantage to teams that don't clog up the neutral zone... seeing as the Oilers aren't exactly a trapping team, this will help, although I don't know how much of an impact this will be. I think the biggest bonus will be to the flow of the game... offsides really kill the mood for me.

Anyways, any comments?

Old
04-22-2004, 01:52 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I think it is a terrible rule that takes a fantastic skill out of the game. The stupidest argument I have ever heard is "do fans pay to watch goalies fire the puck out of their zone?". Well no, but I don't know of many fans who pay to watch face-offs, or pay to watch a team ice the puck, or pay to watch off-sides either. It's a part of the game, and a valuable part too.

That being said, the rule won't do anything but help the Oilers. I don't care what anyone here says, Conklin is terrible handling the puck. He can shoot the puck, but that's about it. He picks terrible times to do it, he usually misses his team mates with passes, and he gives the puck away at least half the time.

Quote:
No idea how this will effect things. I'm glad they are restricting goaltenders equipment. The stuff is 10 times lighter and it gives more protection than it did 10 years ago, yet goalies wear more of it (or at least a bigger size).

Quote:
within 10 feet of the end-boards? They already were within 10 feet... I think it's now within 3 feet, not complete sure though. Well, any team who likes to set up behind the net is screwed. The Oilers are going to have a tough time with this rule because they rely heavily on a cycle, and cutting off room behind the net is going to make it tougher to operate back there.

Quote:
I guess an advantage to teams that don't clog up the neutral zone... seeing as the Oilers aren't exactly a trapping team, this will help, although I don't know how much of an impact this will be. I think the biggest bonus will be to the flow of the game... offsides really kill the mood for me.[/QUOTE]

I love this change. It was interesting when they made the decision to get rid of it a few years ago, because the thought was a team with a good forcheck or speedy forwards would be able to create lots of turnovers... well unfortunately, the defensemen either skated all the way back to their own end, or just went off-side anyway. There were few turnovers, and more often than not, it killed the play. I'm glad they are going back to the tag-up, it should add some more life to the game and it certainly won't hurt the Oilers.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

this is a positive for the Oilers, since alot of their attacks start with a soft dump into the corner, and building a cycle from it. our Conklin and Jussi are both pretty good puck handlers, so it hurts us a bit defensively as well. it will put alot of pressure on our defenseman, and for that reason I think Cross and Ferguson need to go; but all teams have a few heavy-footed defenseman, so I dont think we'd specifically be at a disadvantage.

2)Goalies leg pads will shrink from a maximum of 12 inches wide to 10 inches.
This will be an adjustment that will effect all goalies, some more than others, depending on their styles. this will effect the Oilers, but since both goalies are relatively young, they might be able to adjust a bit faster than some of the vets on the league like Cujo, Belfour, Salo etc.

this will probably hurt the Oilers becuase it makes the cycle more difficult, and basically means they will have to force themsleves to play infront of the net, rather than behind it (maybe thats a good thing, how many times have we seen Smyth, Pisani and Horcoff all cycling in the corner, with nobody infront to pass to???)

this should be a positive for the Oilers forecheckers, but we'll see how it works.

ultimately, the rules will effect all 30 teams, its just a matter of which team adjusts to them the fastest. I think the rules that will really tip the scales are getting rid of the redline, and deciding games in shoot-outs, because them the offensive skills really come to the forefront.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:02 PM
outKast*

Conklin sucks at recovering when he makes mistakes. Therefore, if he doesn't handle the puck as often behind the net...it might actually lessen his mistakes. I hate when he tries to clear the puck behind the net....doesn't get it out and he tries to scramble back when it's too late and someone already scored on him. This rule change will prove beneficial for our "starter".

Our players are fast and will almost always win in foot races. Cory Cross needs to be released. Pilons aren't allowed on the ice with this new rule in action. He will not win any foot races and will cost us 20-30 goals next season for being slow.

Wow, this makes our marginal goaltenders even worse than before. puhhhlease...who cares? If you're a good goaltender..you would know how to stop a puck period. Although i worry for Conklin about this one. He makes a lot of toe saves and will smaller pads....he may let a lot more rebounds and let a few more soft goals past him. I think that the only way to solve this is to acquire a starting goalie.

Gives the Oilers a lot more room to operate. They are horrible at controlling the puck in the offensive zone if they're not cycling. with the added room, hopefully they can generate more scoring chances.

This is useless. They should thave kept this rule in the first place. You wont notice anything. This is not beneficial, nor will this hurt the team.

Old
04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast

Gives the Oilers a lot more room to operate. They are horrible at controlling the puck in the offensive zone if they're not cycling. with the added room, hopefully they can generate more scoring chances.
Umm... considering the Oilers do most of their puck possession low and along the boards, I don't see how this rule will help them generate more scoring chances. The teams that will benefit will have the skilled guys who like to work in and around the slot area.

Quote:

This is useless. They should thave kept this rule in the first place. You wont notice anything. This is not beneficial, nor will this hurt the team.
I beg to differ... you will notice a hell of a difference.

Old
04-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Oi'll say!

I love it. Mainly because I hate it when goalies go behind their net and blatantly interfere with forecheckers because they're "untouchable".

This will make defensemen who can get the shot on net sooo much more valuable. Most goalies just go into the butterfly when a shot comes their way through traffic and that two inches of pad being gone will make for a lot more room down low. The Oilers are screwed.

That was just a waste of space, this should help Smytty and BG with their wraparound attempts. Probably our second best rule change imo.

I liked the tag up offsides, it creates a lot more flow in the overall game when the team clearing the puck gets a couple ticks to get their stuff together. As much as I hate offsides, the dump out off of the glass is another anti-climactic side effect of the traditional blueline rule.

Old
04-22-2004, 06:44 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Umm... considering the Oilers do most of their puck possession low and along the boards, I don't see how this rule will help them generate more scoring chances. The teams that will benefit will have the skilled guys who like to work in and around the slot area.

I beg to differ... you will notice a hell of a difference.

I'd have to agree with dawgbone on this one....I think #4 is the best change of the bunch

Old
04-22-2004, 11:21 PM
Walsher

Tag up offsides was absolutely essential. Automatic offsides kills a forecheck and gives the defensive team a free pass out of their zone (unless the linesmen blow the play dead). Great rule change and will definately increase excitement offensively.

Closed Thread