Kings v. Rangers: 7 in a ROW!!!: POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS
Great Win. Trade rumors soaring, deadline coming up, should be an exciting month! Onto the next victim! What a ride! GO KINGS GO!
Haven't had 7 since Gretzky... Times are good. Stay with the plan. This is something special guys.
"It has not been a good day. I lost my glasses early this morning and I had to go buy a pair of 79 dollar reading glasses today. 79 bucks. You can literally get them at Costco, three-for-20." - Darryl Sutter's response to going up 2-0 in the series.
- Quick didn't face a ton of work but he had to make some big saves, most of which came after Smyth's goal and we went into a shell.
- Kopitar had a disgusting snipe but I wasn't terribly pleased with his game tonight. Two lazy plays on the same shift when NY scored and the ridiculous pass to Jones instead of taking advantage of a clear shot right in the slot. That said, he played a lot and he's still picking up steam. Dominating Anze is almost back.
- Overall I think most of the team played pretty well. The defense was all solid minus Jones. Jack was a +2 () and it doesn't get said enough but in the last month or two you can really see the value Scuderi brings to this team. So good.
- Not a fan of dressing Ivanans and Segal and then not playing them. They shouldn't be playing anyway but if you feel the need to make a change and dress them, I'd think you would have plans on them playing.
- Brown. 0 shots on goal. Two sweet passes, one that led to a goal. He was also throwing some big hits all night. I don't know what changed in Brown but the old Dustin we all love is back as well.
Forget the trade rumors. Just keep playing the boys we have. This group is becoming the definition of a team.
I wouldn't say don't necessarily add anyone but I don't think Lombardi should be as desperate to make any trades like some of us were thinking previously. Certainly no need to overpay unless it's a superstar.
... The Kings' defense was very good tonight, but Quick was very good once again.
These last four games (Columbus, Boston, New Jersey, New York) have marked the best four game stretch of Jonathan Quick's season, and possibly his career. He's saved 106 of 112 in these four, a save percentage of .946. And I hope he continues to make me look bad, because that means the Kings will be able to stay red-hot.
A few other things --
Johnson had a great game. He's coming around. I think the coaching staff is not asking him to do too much, and it's paying off.
Stoll had a very nice game; taking the body, winning faceoffs, playing well in all zones.
Kopitar is continuing his magnificent second wind.
With a couple exceptions, I thought Jones played pretty well.
O'Donnell played very well despite the -1, as did Greene. Scuderi was solid.
I dare anyone to look at that game and tell me the Kings have a poor defense.