HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues lack of scoring

Old
01-29-2010, 08:42 AM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Blues lack of scoring

With the Blues 2 games over .500 and 4 points out of the playoffs it is amazing when you see that the Blues are 3rd from the bottom in goals scored. Edmonton is one of the team teams who has scored less goals but they have two games in hand. The Blues have balanced scoring they just need more. I think Blues ownership needs to make the playoffs and will be buyers at the deadline if still in contention for a playoff spot.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:06 PM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I think Blues ownership needs to make the playoffs and will be buyers at the deadline if still in contention for a playoff spot.
I was wondering the same thing. Checketts might put pressure on JD to make a move because he'll need the extra revenue for the Rams deal.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
The rest of the schedule until the Olympics is pretty tough with games against Chicago (2), San Jose, Colorado, Detroit and Washington. We also play Columbus and Toronto which we would have to win. Then we play Phoenix one day before the deadline. I think St. Louis might drop back a bit in the standings and it might look like were farther out then we should be. So I hope the management doesn't panic and make us sellers because after the deadline we have 19 games left. We have 14 games against Western Conference playoff bubble teams, 3 games against Eastern Conference (NJ, NYI, NYR) and then 2 games against Chicago. We won't be way out where we can't make up the ground against this schedule but we'll be farther than 4 points out come deadline day. We have a real good chance at making the playoffs so hopefully management becomes buyers but only with small deals to acquire one or 2 scorers, nothing like Kovalchuk or someone along the lines of him. We're in good shape right now.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
The rest of the schedule until the Olympics is pretty tough with games against Chicago (2), San Jose, Colorado, Detroit and Washington. We also play Columbus and Toronto which we would have to win. Then we play Phoenix one day before the deadline. I think St. Louis might drop back a bit in the standings and it might look like were farther out then we should be. So I hope the management doesn't panic and make us sellers because after the deadline we have 19 games left. We have 14 games against Western Conference playoff bubble teams, 3 games against Eastern Conference (NJ, NYI, NYR) and then 2 games against Chicago. We won't be way out where we can't make up the ground against this schedule but we'll be farther than 4 points out come deadline day. We have a real good chance at making the playoffs so hopefully management becomes buyers but only with small deals to acquire one or 2 scorers, nothing like Kovalchuk or someone along the lines of him. We're in good shape right now.
Who would you go after?

Don't trade just to make a trade. We would need an upgrade, but who do you sit and where do you put them?

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
Who would you go after?

Don't trade just to make a trade. We would need an upgrade, but who do you sit and where do you put them?
To be honest I wouldn't even mind staying with what we have. We have a solid core right now and I guess it wouldn't make sense to go after someone who is going to become a UFA. I like where the Blues are right now.

stlblues9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

JD keeps saying he will add the pieces when the time is right...and I respect that... but what happens if pieces are not there when the time is right? Should we be planning a head or not?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Blues0307

I wouldn't mind us being sellers if we're 8 or more pts back in the standings by the time the trade deadline comes around. We'd have a lot of teams to jump over and there's no point in wasting our assets when we can get something for them. Not to mention, Tkachuk deserves one last chance in the playoffs and we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him. The only players I see us moving really would be Walt and Cola; two guys who probably won't be part of our core in the coming years.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote