HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire Sather! Fire Sather Rally TODAY At 5pm

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Another GM handing out a bad contract doesn't and shouldn't absolve Sather.
I wasn't absolving Sather. Just stating that those 4 contracts are not the 4 worst in the league. Def. up there though.

Rosy should not be in that group either. He may be $500K, may be a million overpaid. The last few months he has been earning his salary.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:49 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I was under the impression that DP's contract was actually a little bit of a bargain despite the length.
If he were healthy. The problem with DP is he could possibly be done. After all the lower body issues he had so far, it's a shame. But the length was still very questionable even if healthy. 15years is quite extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post

Rosy should not be in that group either. He may be $500K, may be a million overpaid. The last few months he has been earning his salary.
I agree with Rozi as I said above. But I can't put a player like Vinny as a worse contract than Redden.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Since the Rozi signing, I believed he was ~$1mil overpaid at most. The guy is a workhorse. He has his confidence issues but being boo'ed everytime he touches the puck in MSG doesn't help, especially when he plays well. The guy was our top Dman for years - besides for his minor slumps.

My issue with Rozi is Sather waiting until 7/1 to sign him and not try to lock him up earlier at a discount.
That's what I was saying, I think his contract is a lot better (though still not great), compared to the other guys mentioned.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
If he were healthy. The problem with DP is he could possibly be done. After all the lower body issues he had so far, it's a shame. But the length was still very questionable even if healthy. 15years is quite extreme.
Length may have been questionable, but the Cap hit I think was rather cap friendly...if memory serves me. I don't know his exact number.

Old
03-07-2010, 04:57 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Length may have been questionable, but the Cap hit I think was rather cap friendly...if memory serves me. I don't know his exact number.
$4.5 million. I think almost the entire contract is guarnteed money too. So if he'd done, the Islanders will be paying him for the next decade or so lol. I don't think it will count against their cap though.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
Goodwill from other GMs doesn't get us a cup. We have our back against the wall. Our center situation SUCKS! We have Eric freakin Christensen centering our first line.
It certainly helps. Their is an unwritten code amongst GMs that you don't go after our RFAs we don't go after yours. Last thing we need is to try to get an RFA and fail, and then let all GMs know it's open season on ours.

Also we'd be less likely to continue to make successful trades if other GMs know we don't play by the rules.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
200 people that's it? I knew this was going to be an epic fail! 1300 on facebook said they were coming lol so much for that. As for the let your voices be heard are you kidding me, it's a Sunday night, the place will be quiet. This whole rally was a big time fail.

Edit: 115 people at the rally according to Gross

Old
03-07-2010, 05:07 PM
CaptainCallahan*

Quote:
Vinny L's contract as well as DP's contract are pretty brutal as well.
Very true. Lecavalier turns 30 next month, and carries a $7.7 million cap hit for the next 10 years. It's amazing how many clueless armchair GM's on this board feel that Lecavalier will be the solution to our problems. Regardless of my personal belief that his skills have been dampened due to a major wrist and a major shoulder surgery, generously speaking, he will be out of his prime in 4 years, and at his age and price tag, all the idiots who wanted him will be comparing him to Wade Redden, that I promise.

I think the Fire Sather Rally is pretty ill-timed. It would have a hell of a lot more credibility before the lockout when we missed the playoffs for 7 straight years. Despite terrible contracts given out to Drury Gomez, and Redden, this team is still technically a top 10 team in the conference, so Sather isn't getting canned. If we were bottom dwellers continuously, like say the Blackhawks of old, then I can see a change being made, but if it hasn't happened already, it never will. Sather leaves New York when he decides to leave, he isn't getting any form of early termination.

New York is a rarity. No matter how bad the teams are, they still have guaranteed sales, thanks to all the corporations who scoop up tickets. So while you can say playoff revenues are nice, there is no additional incentive for the Dolans to care who's running the show. They collect an easy paycheck no matter how many people rally, petition, or protest.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, strange time for the rally. The week after the deadline? Makes no sense. And Dolan is the guy behind the curtain...he's the reason we weren't sellers last week. He gives the direction and Sather follows along. It's true Sather has made a lot of bonehead moves, but until Dolan sells it's going to be a lot more of the same for us Rangers fans.

Old
03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
It certainly helps. Their is an unwritten code amongst GMs that you don't go after our RFAs we don't go after yours. Last thing we need is to try to get an RFA and fail, and then let all GMs know it's open season on ours.

Also we'd be less likely to continue to make successful trades if other GMs know we don't play by the rules.
How do you know that??

Old
03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, strange time for the rally. The week after the deadline? Makes no sense. And Dolan is the guy behind the curtain...he's the reason we weren't sellers last week. He gives the direction and Sather follows along. It's true Sather has made a lot of bonehead moves, but until Dolan sells it's going to be a lot more of the same for us Rangers fans.
Again, the reason the Rangers were not sellers at the deadline was because they were tied for 8th place.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Said there was a weak turnout, oh well what can you do.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
At its high point there were about 200 there.. Regardless of the turnout I was happy with what happened, to those of you who came and offered the kind words thank you.. Someone had to do something its about time
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
03-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Yes... yes... Sather is fine. Not a part of the problem... in other news Smoking is cool... driving drunk is fine and please... by all means thrown your friggin trash out the window of your car. The planet is fine.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
How do you know that??
Look at the frequency (or lack thereof) of giving other teams RFAs offer sheets. Then look at the Penner offer sheet fiasco with Burke and Lowe.
Looking for more GM opinions on I you can find Sabres GM Darcy Regier say, "I still don't believe that this will be an effective way to acquire players."

Old
03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

All you guys mocking the event need to look in the mirror and do a serious self assessment. Mike and Co. don't think Sather will be fired because of the event. It's just another chink in his armor.

Hats off to the people who spent tireless hours to try and help the team they so passionately love, while a few morons who dont even have the brain or social capacity to organize such an event sit behind a keyboard crying about UFA signings from 8 years ago.

Mike, if I want in the army on assignment I would have been there supporting you first thing in the morning. Sather isnt the worst GM in the league. The game has just passed him by and it's time for a new direction.

Old
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Brooksy was impressed.

http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

Old
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
The Thomas J.*

i'm glad someone did somthing. Remember revolutions started off from nothing & grew. So who knows.

Old
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
ThirdEye

I wanted to go take some pics since I had a few minutes free but forgot my damn CF card at home.

Are there any pics?

Old
03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Again, the reason the Rangers were not sellers at the deadline was because they were tied for 8th place.
That's certainly the argument Management would give, but we all know the real reason is $. Even if this team makes the playoffs it will take a small miracle simply to win a round. They aren't winning the cup, so there was no reason not to sell and load up on picks for the future. But 2 or 3 extra nights at the Garden is more important to Dolan than a real shot at the cup down the road. Too bad we don't have a hockey lover as an owner.

Old
03-07-2010, 07:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Awesome work, Mr. Zippo! What a fantastic thing you did there. I wish I still lived in NY and coulda been there. Seriously man, props to you and everyone that attended.

It's just pain.
Old
03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
All you guys mocking the event need to look in the mirror and do a serious self assessment. Mike and Co. don't think Sather will be fired because of the event. It's just another chink in his armor.

Hats off to the people who spent tireless hours to try and help the team they so passionately love, while a few morons who dont even have the brain or social capacity to organize such an event sit behind a keyboard crying about UFA signings from 8 years ago.

Mike, if I want in the army on assignment I would have been there supporting you first thing in the morning. Sather isnt the worst GM in the league. The game has just passed him by and it's time for a new direction.

Well said mate

If i didnt live in Scotland i would have been there, all i could do was sign the petition.

Hats off to those who attended

Old
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
morffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha15 View Post
I can't make sense of the timing of this rally.

Sather has acquired a good (maybe not elite) pool of prospects....

Sather didn't trade away youth or picks for rentals at the trade deadline...

If you don't like the Rozy or Redden contracts, maybe you there should have been a rally when they were given those contracts instead of now.

Sather has assembled teams that have been in the playoffs since the lockout, one of only 4 teams I believe.

I wonder if Caps fans are going to have a rally to fire their GM if they don't win the cup considering they just gave away assets for 5 rentals players... I bet they won't

Sather was terrible before the lockout, but I think he's done a good job since then....maybe I'm in the minority

---------

you are ..but I agree with you ...this org has a bright future.

Old
03-07-2010, 08:13 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post

Well said. Glad that all that worked paid off in terms of people actually coming at and supporting this. In the end, this isn't something that would directly affect anything with Ranger management, but it's still something.

Old
03-07-2010, 09:02 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha15 View Post
I can't make sense of the timing of this rally.

Sather has acquired a good (maybe not elite) pool of prospects....

Sather didn't trade away youth or picks for rentals at the trade deadline...

If you don't like the Rozy or Redden contracts, maybe you there should have been a rally when they were given those contracts instead of now.

Sather has assembled teams that have been in the playoffs since the lockout, one of only 4 teams I believe.

I wonder if Caps fans are going to have a rally to fire their GM if they don't win the cup considering they just gave away assets for 5 rentals players... I bet they won't

Sather was terrible before the lockout, but I think he's done a good job since then....maybe I'm in the minority
^^^This. I'd say the problem is Dolan, not Sather.

Closed Thread