HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire Sather! Fire Sather Rally TODAY At 5pm

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
^^^This. I'd say the problem is Dolan, not Sather.
Of course it is. Even Sather admitted as much years ago when the team was bringing in aging stars and trading away youth/picks for the win now mentality that sold luxury suites. Dolan sets the agenda and Sather does the best he can with it.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:14 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Of course it is. Even Sather admitted as much years ago when the team was bringing in aging stars and trading away youth/picks for the win now mentality that sold luxury suites. Dolan sets the agenda and Sather does the best he can with it.
So Dolan pulls the strings and Sather just does what Dolan wants? Sorry, but I don't buy it. Dolan may mandate making the playoffs for revenue, but it's still up to Sather to put together this team, and he hasn't done a good job of it.

If Sather is just a puppet then that's even more reason to fire him. We need a GM who has a plan and is willing to follow it, not someone just looking out for his own job and his boss's wallet.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
ReverbAndDelay
In on the Kill Taker

I am so furious i missed out on tonight. I was stuck at work till just shy of 8pm. I apologize.

To the detractors of this event, I say this to you: Take your heads out of your *****. Is Sather Dolan's puppet? Quite possibly, but answer me this...for the same amount of money, a GM who still has an eye for assembling a proper team could work miracles with the money available to the rangers. To say the objective is to only make the playoff's is ridiculous. Do you understand the money to be made on a Stanley Cup champion? Just on merchandizing alone there are millions upon millions to be made. Forget ticket sales, it doesn't even come close to what they would make on the merch alone.

I'll believe Sather is holding back the rangers on Dolan's word about as readily as I am about to believe in flying pigs and the tooth fairy. Try and use some common sense.

I wish i could have been there with you guys. Great work.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:32 PM
pld459666

Quote:
That excuse didn't have legs for Neil Smith in 2000 when he got fired and it has less legs today.

Blaming Dolan absolves Sather for every crap move he's made.

It's bull crap and I'm not buying it.

Old
03-07-2010, 10:40 PM
BrettG10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikTheKing30 View Post
^^^This. I'd say the problem is Dolan, not Sather.
Dolan's main problem is that he's too loyal. I think that he gets blamed too much. People say that he doesn't care about hockey, etc. Well, do you want your owner meddling with your hockey people? Do you want Jerry Jones as owner? I don't. He shells out the necessary money for this team to compete. People say he doesn't want to rebuild and he has the compete now mentality. The Knicks have demonstrated that this is false.

He hires the wrong people. He hires bigger names. That's his fault. If he hired the right person, he'd be a great owner... Except he hasn't done so. And he remains far too loyal to them.

However, can you imagine an owner who cuts costs and spending?

I can't stand Dolan... But he gets blamed for the wrong reasons far too frequently.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:16 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Nice work. It was nice to see so many real, true fans of this club who want this sheer stupidity to end.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:22 AM
The Thomas J.*

So, did it work? was Sather fired yet? I've been under a rock all day.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:36 AM
mhurley

In Directing Marketing if you sending out a 1000 piece mailing and get a 1% response rate, your solicitaion is considered a success.

Congrats to Mike Zippo and the organizers. You got the attention of Larry Brooks and Steve Zipay, no mean feat. I was proud to stand on the line with you and would do so again in a heartbeat.

I guess the fans standing on the other side of the street by the Garden think Sather is doing a good job. That or maybe they just like giving their money to Dolan and getting kicked in the teeth.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
In Directing Marketing if you sending out a 1000 piece mailing and get a 1% response rate, your solicitaion is considered a success.

Congrats to Mike Zippo and the organizers. You got the attention of Larry Brooks and Steve Zipay, no mean feat. I was proud to stand on the line with you and would do so again in a heartbeat.

I guess the fans standing on the other side of the street by the Garden think Sather is doing a good job. That or maybe they just like giving their money to Dolan and getting kicked in the teeth.
ive done some marketing in my day...i'd say 0.5% is considered a success to be honest. most of my direct mailings usually get in the .5-1% range if I am very very lucky. my web advertising gets in the 2% range, and that is targeted advertising.

Old
03-08-2010, 12:42 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

You guys misunderstand me, and for good reason, I wasn't clear. By no means to I think that Sather is a good GM. He has done a few good things over the last few years (at least in the draft), but most of his "good" moves (ie moving Gomez) are just covering his own mistakes.

To be honest, I think that Sather is playing us (stay with me here, this may get a little out there). Sather knows that Dolan doesn't give a **** about the hockey team. He knows that all Dolan cares about is making money. As long as the Rangers are making the playoffs, Dolan makes his money and is happy.

Sather constantly and consistently overpays for free agents (no examples needed). These contracts ruin our future and make his job harder. So what does Sather do? Instead of biting the bullet and living with his mistakes (and REBUILDING), he makes moves to get the team to squeak into the playoffs.

Why? Because then Dolan makes his money, which means Sather keeps his job.

I guess my wild conspiracy is this:

Sather assembles teams each year from scratch that are borderline playoff teams (due to contracts like the ones Drury and Redden and Roszival have) so that he keeps the boss happy, instead of rebuilding.

But I guess that's what you get in a win-now kind of city like New York.

Old
03-08-2010, 01:21 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

So, was there a good turn out for this thing?

Were there signs and chants, did it get noticed...?

What happened?

Old
03-08-2010, 01:29 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post

That's a good one! Half the people at the rally went inside to watch the game after the rally ended.

Old
03-08-2010, 02:57 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
That excuse didn't have legs for Neil Smith in 2000 when he got fired and it has less legs today.

Blaming Dolan absolves Sather for every crap move he's made.

It's bull crap and I'm not buying it.
As an Oiler fan I am out of the loop with this but if I could add my two cents I would have to say there is little chance Sather is a yes man as is being postulated here. He is too old, rich and prideful to play that game anymore.

I would think if that was the case then he would just leave, which is what he did finally in Edmonton. He didnt want to take orders from the new ownership group.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:12 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
200 people that's it? I knew this was going to be an epic fail! 1300 on facebook said they were coming lol so much for that. As for the let your voices be heard are you kidding me, it's a Sunday night, the place will be quiet. This whole rally was a big time fail.

Edit: 115 people at the rally according to Gross
There was a fire Mactavish rally organized in Edmonton around this time last year. It was poorly attended, I mean like ten or twenty people. But Mact was fired, so heh, good luck to you.

Have you given any thought to who would replace Sather? Or does it even matter?

Old
03-08-2010, 03:13 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
As an Oiler fan I am out of the loop with this but if I could add my two cents I would have to say there is little chance Sather is a yes man as is being postulated here. He is too old, rich and prideful to play that game anymore.

I would think if that was the case then he would just leave, which is what he did finally in Edmonton. He didnt want to take orders from the new ownership group.
I don't think it's being a yes man. More like having to build the team a certain way...one that keeps the team in a constant "near" competitiveness which prevents a true rebuild from taking place.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Zil

Quote:
I don't think it's being a yes man. More like having to build the team a certain way...one that keeps the team in a constant "near" competitiveness which prevents a true rebuild from taking place.
I think it's just a plain lack of foresight and planning as far as free agent signings go. It's like he has some sort of cap-space-specific turrets syndrome. He has to spend all the money he has, even if there's nothing worth spending it on.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:25 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I think it's just a plain lack of foresight and planning as far as free agent signings go. It's like he has some sort of cap-space-specific turrets syndrome. He has to spend all the money he has, even if there's nothing worth spending it on.
Yeah, it's like he thinks there's a rule that requires him to spend all the cap money. Very odd indeed.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:38 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
I think you are in one of the situations where a rebuild would not be tolerated. It simply isnt an option. Sather and his horrible contracts are pretty ironic actually, since he used to complain about New York and Philly throwing money around in the pre-cap era when he was with the Oilers.

So what does he do? Goes to New York and throws even more money around than the guy he replaced. That says a lot. I feel for you guys. I wouldnt want Glen anywhere near our team, and we have donkeys running the show here.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:45 AM
gravey9

There is one huge positive to the current lot of bad contracts. The Rangers can't really give any more out right now. Thus it behooves them to hold onto their cheap young talent and prospects. In a sense the salary cap protects the fans against the pure "win now" attitude that plagues this organization under Dolan.

Old
03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
There is one huge positive to the current lot of bad contracts. The Rangers can't really give any more out right now. Thus it behooves them to hold onto their cheap young talent and prospects. In a sense the salary cap protects the fans against the pure "win now" attitude that plagues this organization under Dolan.
True, but in the short term it locks the team into mediocrity. That's why I was upset we weren't sellers. If I were running the team, and cared more about winning a cup than playing a couple more games, I would be doing everything in my power to position the team for a real shot in 2012 or thereabouts. This year is toast...and next year likely more of the same, although they should be a bit better. That's why this coming draft is key...it could really have supplied a nice piece for a competitive Rangers team a couple seasons from now.

Old
03-08-2010, 04:05 AM
gravey9

Quote:
True, but in the short term it locks the team into mediocrity. That's why I was upset we weren't sellers. If I were running the team, and cared more about winning a cup than playing a couple more games, I would be doing everything in my power to position the team for a real shot in 2012 or thereabouts. This year is toast...and next year likely more of the same, although they should be a bit better. That's why this coming draft is key...it could really have supplied a nice piece for a competitive Rangers team a couple seasons from now.
Agreed. And from what i've heard, this draft is not deep. So, it's important that we lose games in regulation and not OT. Tonight's game could end being the difference between a 7th pick or a 9th pick etc. Notice - teams were very willing to trade 2nd round picks at the deadline but no 1st rounders. It also could mean the Rangers could have a hard time moving up in the draft in the first round or securing a second first round pick. So, very important in some ways for them to lose now.

Old
03-08-2010, 04:11 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Agreed. And from what i've heard, this draft is not deep. So, it's important that we lose games in regulation and not OT. Tonight's game could end being the difference between a 7th pick or a 9th pick etc. Notice - teams were very willing to trade 2nd round picks at the deadline but no 1st rounders. It also could mean the Rangers could have a hard time moving up in the draft in the first round or securing a second first round pick. So, very important in some ways for them to lose now.
Good points. It's funny how in previous years we were hoping to get the 1 point from OT losses...and now they might be our downfall. lol

Old
03-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
The whole damn sport is just too polite now. In the New York media how no one, not one beat writer or media personality has called this man out for these contracts yet is beyond me. How not one person who interviews Chris Drury asks him where his offensive game has gone and if he feels he's hurting this team with his hi salary and low production. How no one has asked anyone in the franchise if Wade Redden was scouted before being given the friggin blank check to sign here. 14 million in two years and he's given us less than 5 goals and 40 points. New York has gotten soft, I know Yankee fans wouldn't stand for this ****.

And the media lets Torts come in and bully them around, you can tell in the post game these people are TERRIFIED to ask this guy a question. There was a day when the coach feared facing the mediea, not the other way around. If they were smart they would all stick togeather and give him some NY JAM right back, he will think twice before trying to throw a fit and dodge questions with his 100% BS answers that I heard tonight. You have to watch the tape Torts? The *** TAPE? You been coach for 60 games and you can't answer the question honestly why this team can't score? Well atleast you know all your players names now. There are so many problems with this franchise right now it's sad.

So because as with almost every subject of real importance in the USA (no not what Tiger Woods hit last week) the media has failed us and left the fans to do the job themselves. I all 200+ NYR fans who showed up today to fight for this franchise and the people who called in to Mouths show. Great job Mouth again. 1 hour of coverage EVERY game and all these experts sit around trying to figure out why the team can't score.....and they couldn't give this rally 5 seconds of air time.

Old
03-08-2010, 06:22 AM
ChrisYorkville

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7gOFwBTYr61InN

Old
03-08-2010, 07:15 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Actually the first two rounds(up until the mid second round)of this draft is considered to be deep.

Some teams didn't want to move 2nd round picks either for rentals.

The 2011 draft is considered to be very weak.

Closed Thread