HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Something has to give: Leafs versus Devils

Old
01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Something has to give: Leafs versus Devils

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308139

Quote:
Sports Network) - The Toronto Maple Leafs and New Jersey Devils will both be looking to end losing streaks when they face each other at the Prudential Center.

See the action on TSN and TSN HD today at 7pm et/4pm pt.

The Maple Leafs and Devils are meeting for the first time this season, but the clubs will get to know each over the next week. New Jersey will also visit the Leafs on Tuesday to begin a home-and-home series that will end next Friday in Newark. Jonas Gustavsson will get the start in goal for Toronto.

Toronto has lost four straight and nine of its last 11 games and comes into tonight just one point ahead of Carolina for last place in the Eastern Conference
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009

Quote:
Jonas Gustavsson will start in goal against the Devils on Friday night. Mike Komisarek's test results have not been revealed to head coach Ron Wilson yet. - TSN

Projected Lines vs. Devils

Forwards:
Ponikarovsky - Stajan - Hagman
Kulemin - Bozak - Kessel
So Fletcher traded Glassman 1 to the Blues and Burke signs Glassman 2 for 4.5 million a season in the summer.

Gustavsson better start adjusting to the NHL to secure an extension for 2010-2011 and beyond.

Wonder if Kabs will be house browsing while in Newark?

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 1963–64, 1966–67 and 1969–70 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 1970–71 and 1972–73. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 1970–71, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM
dissociater

I heard Watters speculation a few days ago about Komesarik (so take it with a grain of salt). That it's a lot more serious than they're being led to believe. He'll come back and play for 3-4 games before the Olympics, but play tentatively. Then he'll play hard in the Olympics, and then after they're done, he'll have season ending surgery to repair the damage.

Nice...

I hope he's wrong.

dissociater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:45 PM
TorFC-TML*

Would a 10-0 blowout be enough to get Ron Wilson fired?

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:47 PM
TorFC-TML*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissociater View Post
I heard Watters speculation a few days ago about Komesarik (so take it with a grain of salt). That it's a lot more serious than they're being led to believe. He'll come back and play for 3-4 games before the Olympics, but play tentatively. Then he'll play hard in the Olympics, and then after they're done, he'll have season ending surgery to repair the damage.

Nice...

I hope he's wrong.
Apparently is the Maple Leaf's job to incubate team USA and make sure theyre ready for the Olympics.

Theres no excuse for Ron Wilson still being employed.

TorFC-TML* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:53 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.thehockeynews.com/forum/v....php?f=5&t=253

Quote:
When former All-Star defenseman Red Kelly was suspended by the Detroit Red Wings for refusing a trade to New York, Imlach offered his spare defenseman Marc Reaume to Detroit for Red Kelly. Surprisingly, Jack Adams the Detroit general manager agreed to the deal - a deal that would go down as one of the most one-sided in NHL History. Toronto fans were asking why another defenseman was acquired when it was clear that they were set there for years. But Imlach had a plan all along and when Kelly first appeared on the ice wearing his familiar No. 4, he went to centre ice to face-off against a surprised Montreal Canadien also wearing No. 4. Imlach finally had his centre to check and neutralize Beliveau.

The next key to the puzzle was the arrival in October 1960 of former St. Michael’s Junior star David Keon who had astounded training camp watchers with both his offensive and defensive skills. Only the fleet Carl Brewer could compete with him in skating ability. Now with Keon in the line-up, the Leafs had their equivalent to Montreal star Henri Richard.

Throughout the 1960/1961 season, the Leafs battled the Montreal Canadiens for first place and the feeling was that the Leafs - with the additions of Kelly and Keon - were now serious contenders to dethrone the mighty Montreal Canadiens. Johnny Bower was injured late in the season, but the replacement goalies, Cesare Maniago and Gerry McNamara played well enough to preserve the Vezina Trophy for him.

Preventing goals was not a problem for this Leafs team. Besides being sound defensively, one of the skills that Red Kelly brought to the team was his superb passing skills and the Leaf player to benefit the most from these pinpoint passes was the ‘Big M’, Frank Mahovlich of whom so much was expected. With Kelly as his centre and with rookie Bob Nevin on right wing, Mahovlich burst out with 48 goals to fall just short of Maurice Richard’s record of 50 goals in a season. The Leafs now had no perceived weaknesses and the only thing that could derail the Leafs in their quest for the Stanley Cup was if their key players were injured. Unfortunately, that’s what happened.

Where could the Leafs find an excellent skating defender with superb passing skills?

Old
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:

Nice...

I hope he's wrong.
thats ****ed!!!! imo if the guy needs season ending surgery then i can accept that but if he is too hurt to play for the leafs he is too hurt to play in the olymics. not to mention the chances of him doing significant or permanent damage is greater. playing in the olympics are a privilege, playing for the leafs is his job/career. i would hope komi puts his career ahead of the olympics but i suppose with burke/wilson here, they probably covet an olympic medal more then whatever difference komi would make for the leafs. i suppose if i was in any of those 3 situation i would do the same. leafs right now =

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:

Nice...

I hope he's wrong.
Reading between the lines, I believe that very soon Komisarek will be shut down and will have an operation on his shoulder. It just sounds to me like they're letting him rehab it and see if he can play a bit before shutting him down. It's probably an injury that he can't make much worse before an operation is necessary.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Russ2582

Send a message via AIM to Russ2582
Are any Leafs going to tonights game?

Russ2582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/forum/v....php?f=5&t=253

Where could the Leafs find an excellent skating defender with superb passing skills?
Don't they already have one, and had one for years?

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsInSeven View Post
Reading between the lines, I believe that very soon Komisarek will be shut down and will have an operation on his shoulder. It just sounds to me like they're letting him rehab it and see if he can play a bit before shutting him down. It's probably an injury that he can't make much worse before an operation is necessary.
Probably a dislocated shoulder and a labrum tear. Once the labrum is torn, there is no "suction" to hold the shoulder in. The only hope is surgery. You can play with it, but the risk of dislocating again is high, and it can be hard to shoot. Taping it to stay out of certain positions, and some braces help, but not much. There is lots of time for surgery and rehab, but once it's over for the Leafs, he'll have it done to make sure he gets lots of rehab time. He'll need about 5-6 months to be completely healthy, depending on whether or not the Rotator cuff is involved, but it usually is.

Actually, about the same injury as Phil Kessel had last year.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
thats ****ed!!!! imo if the guy needs season ending surgery then i can accept that but if he is too hurt to play for the leafs he is too hurt to play in the olymics. not to mention the chances of him doing significant or permanent damage is greater. playing in the olympics are a privilege, playing for the leafs is his job/career. i would hope komi puts his career ahead of the olympics but i suppose with burke/wilson here, they probably covet an olympic medal more then whatever difference komi would make for the leafs. i suppose if i was in any of those 3 situation i would do the same. leafs right now =
Lots, and lots and lots of people have played with an injury like this. Not much chance for additional damage, and if it isn't going to work (playing) it will be noticable. However, once it is chronic, it is chronic, and you can play 10 games, or 1 shift. You never know when it will go out again, and each time it is easier to recover. BB won't risk his depth at the Olympics if there is a risk.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Johnny Mitchell, Wayne Primeau and Jeff Finger all OUT..

Rickard Wallin, Jay Rosehill and Garnet Exelby all IN.

For tonight's game.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:10 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

For tonight's game.
Wallins in? Oh man are we gonna rake in the goals tonight.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:14 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

For tonight's game.
I wonder if Primeau came back too soon?

Mitchell could use some time in the minors, but I don't think he can be sent down.

As much as they'll lose out on all Finger's offense ... I'd rather see Exelby in than Finger.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Exelby I'd guess will get the majority of games in over someone like Finger, up until the Olympic break. For reasons already known

Does anyone think John Mitchell has trade value?

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:

For tonight's game.

Is that just from TSN Ice Chips, or confirmed from somewhere else?

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Exelby I'd guess will get the majority of games in over someone like Finger, up until the Olympic break. For reasons already known

Sure, but not much. At his salary, he might as well be kept.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Mayers and Exelby cry "Uncle" and declare they've had enough and want out..

Coach Wilson shows them who's boss and tells them too bad their playing.

Lets hope the reason is Burke and Wilson are tossing Lou Lam their Idol and mentor a bone.. Lets hope they're being showcased for a potential trade to NJ.

However when Wallin is going in for anyone you have to ask yourself "why"..

Old
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Edmonton will take him.

Mitchell + 2nd for O'Sullivan

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:23 PM
darty

So, should we expect Finger complaining to the media about ice time soon given that it works in getting back in the lineup?

Let's be reality here, at this point in the season they could just have a hot dog eating competition amongst the bench warmers to determine who plays on any given night and the results would probably be the same.

darty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Is that just from TSN Ice Chips, or confirmed from somewhere else?
Jonas Siegel Leafs reporter to Leafs Lunch report..

He even tweeted it for those that missed that announcement.. http://twitter.com/Jonas640

Old
01-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Machinae

John Mitchell is only 24 years old, isn't he?

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:26 PM
SingForAbsolution

I'm going to be at this game. So the Leafs will auto-win.

SingForAbsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:27 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinae View Post
John Mitchell is only 24 years old, isn't he?
Yes, but he isn't a Fletcher or Burke pick so his best before date has expired.

Actually, they took the label of his butt and affixed it to Stempniak's butt to extend his shelf life.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Atareez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorFC-TML View Post
Would a 10-0 blowout be enough to get Ron Wilson fired?
stupid as it sounds no it wouldn't.

Atareez is offline   Reply With Quote