HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buying out Tucker

Old
01-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Down Goes Brown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
why wouldn't he waive his NTC? because he absolutely loves TO, and was the best character guy to ever wear a leafs jersey in my lifetime.
Yeah. I loved Tucker when he was here. But towards the end I think the knock against him was that he had become very good at looking like a heart and soul guy, while maybe not really backing it up when the cameras were off.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:24 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Yeah. I loved Tucker when he was here. But towards the end I think the knock against him was that he had become very good at looking like a heart and soul guy, while maybe not really backing it up when the cameras were off.
And Fletcher and Burke have filled those roles with players don't back it off or on camera.

Always looking for consistency.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:48 PM
studebaker17

the "muskoka 5" never were the problem. the talent drop off after them was the problem. i can understand the idea of breaking them up but with that should of come a clear cut decision on what direction they wanted to go in. instead they've been going in circles. the guys who were the problem are still there or clones only now they're in prime time roles.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Changing the culture has bombed on this team. I never liked the idea of buying-out Tucker and having him against the cap for 6 years. Not worth it. He may be past-his-prime, but he's got that sprak that the team is severely lacking right now.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Down Goes Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker17 View Post
the "muskoka 5" never were the problem. the talent drop off after them was the problem.
I'd argue that both were the problem.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'd argue that both were the problem.
Kind of like Nash in Columbus is the problem?

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
Looking back, seems a daft move buying out Tucker when we did. I know at the time, they were trying to change the so-called culture of the hockey team, but Tucker was making only 3 million a year, and this would be the last year of his deal. We then tournaround and offer more money to the likes of Blake and Finger, while Tucker's buyout is on the books for the next 3 years.

Tucker's output was definitely diminishing, but we could defintely use someone with his qualities on this current team,
Surprisingly enough I was against it at the time. I just didn't see the point. He had a horrible year but still played with an edge most nights at least. Just one of many bad decisions made by this organization

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
It all came down to changing the culture and clearing out the room. Same reason it made sense to deal McCabe for ten cents on the dollar. Addition by subtraction and all that... The Muskoka Five had to be destroyed if the team was ever going to find a new identity.
Well since that Culture change.... the Leafs have gotten worse. Remember in the 2nd season after the lockout (the last year when Tucker and McCabe were great), Toronto missed the playoffs by 1 point.

Now, we are on the verge of being the worst team in the league.

Say what you want, but with Kubina and McCabe here, instead of Exelby and Komisarek, and this time is much better

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 05:18 PM
jughead42*

I don't think it was a terrible move to get rid of the guy. It seems like every mediocre Leaf who has 1 decent season for the team gets frozen in time for that season in the minds of the fans. That's why there's Leaf fans out there who'd still love to see Jason Allison get a shot or to see Sundin come back.

The cap hit sucks, but its hardly a contributing factor to why we suck. When he played for the Leafs, Tucker was a contributing factor to why we sucked so he needed to go. In hindsight maybe we hold onto him and are able to offload him at the deadline this year to avoid the cap hit but I don't think its worth it to have him poisoning the dressingroom (or whatever his negative issue was) all this time just to get that.

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Burkeburger*

Been watching his games this season... he still is great. Still is the word I'm using. I was disappointed when we got rid of him.... we don't have enough vocal players and he really plays the game, even when not talking or yelling something.

Burkeburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:12 PM
william_adams

Quote:
agreed. i also got the sense that after his super 03-04 season where he had a bunch of pp goals off that good set play of him on the right side of the net, that he saw himself as more of a top 6 fwd rather than a 3rd line energy guy. also (still) looks to me like he is physically limited -- he was never fast but he's now pretty slow...

great leaf, but as painful as it was to buy him out, i think it was the right call. (i also think it was the right thing to do to re-sign him too, don't think anybody could have foreseen his relatively rapid decline.)

william_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Smif

We bought out Tucker then traded a third rounder for Mayers...good call. He had a NTC until the final year of his contract which would've brought us in a pick or two.
How many bloody picks did Fletcher trade away while he was here anyways?

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:25 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Raycrofts was more confusing to me. A goalie with 1 year left who is an upgrade on the man you replaced him with. Only logic I could see would be as a mercy move to get him out of town.

He definately is on the downside, but I'd have kept him for a 1 year trial period. We took gambles on many others last year and didn't need his cap space from the buy-out. If we went that route, we'd have 1 less year on his buy-out now too.
Agreed on both fronts.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Cleets

Quote:
It all came down to changing the culture and clearing out the room. Same reason it made sense to deal McCabe for ten cents on the dollar. Addition by subtraction and all that... The Muskoka Five had to be destroyed if the team was ever going to find a new identity.
I would much rather have the muskoka five then the broken parts we have now.

Cleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:16 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Changing the culture of this team has resulted in nothing but bad news. Buying out Tucker...pointless. Trading McCabe...would have been a bad trade straight up for Van Ryn, but we just had to throw in n extra pick. Trading Kubina...horrible trade that gave us cap room to make the Finger mistake all over again with Komisarek. The Sundin Saga...tarnished the relationship between the Maple Leafs franchise and one of the greatest to ever play for the Leafs. So, 4 out of the Muskoka Five were mishandled. At least Burke seems to be handling Kaberle the right way.

Even without the Muskoka Five, this team has never come close to finding an identity, let alone making the playoffs. In fact, we've continaully gotten worse each year. Why was it so vital that the best players on the team were removed as quickly as possible, with no interest in getting any value in return. What do we have to show for those four players? Van Ryn (he's played like 30 games for the Leafs and probably won't play for them again), Exelby (already wants out), and -$1,000,000 in cap space that goes towards Darcy Tucker's retirement fund.

Last edited by My Sweet Shadow: 01-29-2010 at 08:22 PM.
My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleets View Post
I would much rather have the muskoka five then the broken parts we have now.
I somewhat agree.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
bbgobie

Hopefully something is learned.

Which is why I don't think Blake should be bought out.

bbgobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Superdowney

Tucker was by no means great but it'd be nice to have him back.
What has this teeam come to when we all want Tucker back?

Superdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Christ

I was pissed with the Tucker buyout and was irate over moving McCabe in the way we did. Tucker was on the downward slope of his career but he was still a leader on the ice for us...his cap hit would have finished this offseason if I recall correctly, now we are paying a million a season for several more seasons for no one. Dumping McCabe hurt too...many of us are pissed that this team does not have a captain...McCabe was the best option possible.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:28 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I was pissed with the Tucker buyout and was irate over moving McCabe in the way we did. Tucker was on the downward slope of his career but he was still a leader on the ice for us...his cap hit would have finished this offseason if I recall correctly, now we are paying a million a season for several more seasons for no one. Dumping McCabe hurt too...many of us are pissed that this team does not have a captain...McCabe was the best option possible.
We don't know the real story....I think it really is something like this:
Fletcher had deals worked out leading up to the trade deadline for Sundin, Kaberle, Kubina and maybe McCabe and Tucker....Kubina had lead Fletcher to believe he would accept a trade. Leafs could have gotten Carter and a first for Kaberle, and at least that much for Sundin. A couple days prior to the deadline, they all went out for dinner and talked each other into not waiving their no trade clauses in the belief that they should stick together and make a run to the playoffs. It actually almost worked!
Kubina was a monster down the stretch; Aubin provided surprisingly solid goaltending...Sundin stayed and Leafs failed to make the playoffs but won enough games to unfortunately end up drafting 7th (Fletcher traded two 2nds and a 3 with Isles so Leafs could draft Schenn at 5.) Tucker really loved the Leafs but was a key in convincing Kaberle, Sundin and Kubina NOT to waive their no trade clause and this in hindsight was a MONUMENTAL disaster to the rebuilding Leafs. In short, in punishment, Tucker was bought out, etc.
Basically, the never say die attitude that made Tucker a success on the ice ended up hurting the team far more than anyone could have imagined. Even for the next 3 years Leafs will be charged with $1 million against the cap!
I dont really blame Tucker...I blame Fletcher!
It's really sad to think what might have been!!!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:39 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

The absence of Darcy Tucker bouncing off opposition players, getting injured, not scoring, freelancing defensively and no longer getting under the skin of the opposition is definitely not hurting the Leafs.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Every decision in the last 5 years has been wrong

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He plays a bit role in Colorado, I've seen him out there in quite a few different scenarios.

He isn't going to score you 20+ goals any more, but he does still bring some jump and plays about 60% of his ice time with rookies, either Duchene or O'Reilly.

Based on this, I'd suggest his coach is using him as a mentor for the kids.

I don't see anyone in Toronto fulfilling this role.
He still gets a fair amount of ice time on the third line and second PP unit. Problem is, he doesn't do anything with it. He takes bad penalties, has a problem staying on-side, and falls down a lot. I know you guys loved guy, and maybe he'd be playing differently had he stayed in TO but I don't think you're missing much without him.

Having said all that, he is a very classy guy. He takes time to sign autographs after the warm-ups (threw me a puck once) and seems like he is a good teammate. I think he's been a good influence on O'Reilly (They live together).

Chileiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Watch the game last night DGB? Or are you still holding out for all of February?

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Corleone

Send a message via MSN to Corleone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Kind of like Nash in Columbus is the problem?
Huh? How does Nash even compare to the leafs players? Hes on another level.

Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote