HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Next Hockey Season(whenever that is) will be make it or break it for....

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Bruinaholic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Next Hockey Season(whenever that is) will be make it or break it for....

Andy Hilbert
Hes 23 years old, hes a point per game player as well as an All Star in the AHL. he was a hobey Baker finalist in College, he felt he was so good that he left College 2 years early to go Pro, the Bruins thought enough of him to sign him early.
Forget all the "Chris Drury" Comparisons and everything else....hes showed some really good things as well as some definite negatives in his time in Boston and i realize he missed alot of time after being injured in training camp last fall.
I will take his Ice Time in the playoffs as a good sign, but we did see that w/ Landon Wilson a few years ago vs Carolina in the playoffs and what happened too him...and the World Championships this summer will hopefully be a good experience too.
Its upto him if hes gonna be Cameron Mann or if hes gonna be a contributer to this team in the long run, i for one believe hed do a better job then Knuble on the 1st line, that is if he focuses and dedicates himself to the job.

Old
04-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Remember that there were similar anxieties about Nick Boynton after he toiled a few years in Providence. The timetable for a player to take that step is unpredictable. Unless the Bruins have a better option, they should continue to give Hilbert more time to show what he can do. I was not impressed until the playoffs this year, but that gave me some hope. Will he be Cam Mann or Nick Boynton? Who knows which direction he'll go. There's no harm in letting that unfold a bit longer.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

I still have hope in Hilbert. He played quite well for the limited minute he got in the playoffs. His goal was on a bieutifull shot altought Theodore should have saved it.
Maybe with other offensive players he could blossom. I think he'll play for the big club next year and have a very good season.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:52 PM
sarge88

It's funny how unpredictable minor league success can be. I have no idea how Hilbert's career will turn out but I did compare his AHL stats to those of current MVP candidate Martin St. Louis (also a former American college star) and found them quite interesting.

St. Loius

1997-98 (split between IHL & AHL) 81 gms. 31 g. 45 a. - 76 pts.
1998-99 AHL - 53 gms. 28 g - 34 a. - 62 pts.
NHL - 13 gms. 1 g - 1a - 2 pts.
1999-00 AHL 17 gms. - 15 g. - 11 a. - 26 pts.
NHL 56 gms. - 3 g. - 15 a. - 18 pts.

Hilbert

2001-02 AHL - 76 gms - 26 g. - 27 a. - 53 pts.
2002-03 AHL - 64 gms. - 35 g. - 35 a. - 70 pts.

I'm not trying to say that Hilbert will ever be as productive as St. Louis, but given that he has been a consistent scorer in the AHL, there is hope.

Old
04-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Perry91502

I still have little hope for Hilbert, however, I think that his time is really running low. I dont believe that he will fill out his potential as a 2nd liner center, I believe that he is quickly falling to a 3rd line max potential. He hasnt shown me consistant scoring, or defense for that matter, and seems to be very streaky. Hopefully he can put together a solid full season. He was hurt this year, but put up just 8 points in 19 games compared to the last year....here is the Comparision...

2002-2003
64GP, 35-35-70, 119PIM

2003-2004
19GP, 3-5-8, 20PIM

He went from over a point per game at the AHL level, to under a 1/2 point per game. I hope he can turn it around though, as he could be a solid tool for this team.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:55 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry91502
I still have little hope for Hilbert, however, I think that his time is really running low. I dont believe that he will fill out his potential as a 2nd liner center, I believe that he is quickly falling to a 3rd line max potential. He hasnt shown me consistant scoring, or defense for that matter, and seems to be very streaky. Hopefully he can put together a solid full season. He was hurt this year, but put up just 8 points in 19 games compared to the last year....here is the Comparision...

2002-2003
64GP, 35-35-70, 119PIM

2003-2004
19GP, 3-5-8, 20PIM

He went from over a point per game at the AHL level, to under a 1/2 point per game. I hope he can turn it around though, as he could be a solid tool for this team.
tough comparison perry. look at hilbert's season before 02-03, and you'll see very good numbers again. the problem with him this season was the nagging groin problems. couple that with basically no training camp or anything, along with the yo-yo of call-ups, and i'd say that hilbert's numbers (or the lack thereof) are nothing to be alarmed about. i really like this kid, and i think all he needs is a consistent chance and 15 pounds of muscle. he'll get the chance from sullivan, and whitesides can help him with the muscle. don't write him off as a 2nd liner just yet.

Old
04-22-2004, 06:37 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Hilbert needs to be on the top two lines next year...

Old
04-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Perry91502

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
tough comparison perry. look at hilbert's season before 02-03, and you'll see very good numbers again. the problem with him this season was the nagging groin problems. couple that with basically no training camp or anything, along with the yo-yo of call-ups, and i'd say that hilbert's numbers (or the lack thereof) are nothing to be alarmed about. i really like this kid, and i think all he needs is a consistent chance and 15 pounds of muscle. he'll get the chance from sullivan, and whitesides can help him with the muscle. don't write him off as a 2nd liner just yet.
Sorry, I just have been hearing that this kid is a solid 2nd liner in the making for the past 3 years, and I just dont see it. I go to a number of P-Bruins games a year, along with my season duties to the Boston B's (BTW, I was told that I am going to be paying for tickets this year whether there is a season or not. That way I can "hold" my season tickets, and if there is no season, I will get credited. Just a warning to season ticket holders there) and I have not seen anything that leads me to believe this kid can be a reliable 2nd line center in the NHL. He seems to not skate at 100% at all times. I dont think he is rounded enough in his own end, and I think that his goal scoring abilities on the NHL level are in question. No doubt he could score goals in college, and even in the AHL, I think that he has proven to be a formidable scorer, however the NHL is a whole different story, ask guys like Cameron Mann, Andre Savage, or Pavel Rosa. Those three guys all put up big numbers on the AHL level, but really had nothing to offer at the NHL level (I believe Rosa should have gotten a better shot with LA though).

If Hilbert doesnt crack the 2nd line next year, he will be relegated to 3rd/4th line duty for his career. I dont believe he will crack a lineup with Thornton and Nylander holding the top 2 center roles (God willing). I would also put Brad Boyes ahead of him on my depth chart.

Old
04-23-2004, 03:52 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic
Andy Hilbert
Hes 23 years old, hes a point per game player as well as an All Star in the AHL. he was a hobey Baker finalist in College, he felt he was so good that he left College 2 years early to go Pro, the Bruins thought enough of him to sign him early.
Forget all the "Chris Drury" Comparisons and everything else....hes showed some really good things as well as some definite negatives in his time in Boston and i realize he missed alot of time after being injured in training camp last fall.
I will take his Ice Time in the playoffs as a good sign, but we did see that w/ Landon Wilson a few years ago vs Carolina in the playoffs and what happened too him...and the World Championships this summer will hopefully be a good experience too.
Its upto him if hes gonna be Cameron Mann or if hes gonna be a contributer to this team in the long run, i for one believe hed do a better job then Knuble on the 1st line, that is if he focuses and dedicates himself to the job.
Hilbert needs to borrow a page from the Bergeron success manual and hire a powerskating coach this summer. In fact he could save some money by splitting the cost of the sessions with Boyes.

Last edited by misterjaggers: 04-23-2004 at 04:54 AM.
Old
04-23-2004, 08:59 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
If Hilbert doesnt crack the 2nd line next year, he will be relegated to 3rd/4th line duty for his career. I dont believe he will crack a lineup with Thornton and Nylander holding the top 2 center roles (God willing). I would also put Brad Boyes ahead of him on my depth chart.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hilbert was officially a winger now? That's where we played him all year and I heard that he's been playing wing in the AHL for a few seasons now.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Magnus Fulgur

He'll be fine:

Samsonov Thornton Knuble
Hilbert Nylander Bergeron
Lapointe Boyes Axelsson
Doull Green Donato

We'll still be a great team up front...probably better without those parasitic ghosts Rolston and Murray. Next year we'll get the sixth seed and beat TB

Old
04-23-2004, 11:37 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Sorry, I just have been hearing that this kid is a solid 2nd liner in the making for the past 3 years, and I just dont see it. I go to a number of P-Bruins games a year, along with my season duties to the Boston B's (BTW, I was told that I am going to be paying for tickets this year whether there is a season or not. That way I can "hold" my season tickets, and if there is no season, I will get credited. Just a warning to season ticket holders there) and I have not seen anything that leads me to believe this kid can be a reliable 2nd line center in the NHL. He seems to not skate at 100% at all times. I dont think he is rounded enough in his own end, and I think that his goal scoring abilities on the NHL level are in question. No doubt he could score goals in college, and even in the AHL, I think that he has proven to be a formidable scorer, however the NHL is a whole different story, ask guys like Cameron Mann, Andre Savage, or Pavel Rosa. Those three guys all put up big numbers on the AHL level, but really had nothing to offer at the NHL level (I believe Rosa should have gotten a better shot with LA though).

firstly, hilbert is done as a center IMO. his career will be as a winger on either side.
secondly, i look forward to serving you a plate full-o-crow when andy pots 20 goals in his first full season with the b's. just remember, don't talk with your mouth full
it does go the other way sometimes, so i'll be happy to say i was wrong if hilbert fails.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Perry91502

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
firstly, hilbert is done as a center IMO. his career will be as a winger on either side.
secondly, i look forward to serving you a plate full-o-crow when andy pots 20 goals in his first full season with the b's. just remember, don't talk with your mouth full
it does go the other way sometimes, so i'll be happy to say i was wrong if hilbert fails.
Id absolutley LOVE to see Hilbert put up 20 goals in his first full season. Unfortunatley, I just dont see it happening.

Old
04-23-2004, 11:57 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Id absolutley LOVE to see Hilbert put up 20 goals in his first full season. Unfortunatley, I just dont see it happening.
we'll see...file this post away and hopefully we can revisit it next april

Closed Thread