HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Whitney to the Pens?

Old
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

vCash: 500
Value of Whitney to the Pens?

Hello all, I'm from the Pens insane asylum and we're all in a frenzy over a random rumor that somebody heard about us having interest in your elder staesman, Ray Whitney. We all seem to think that he's the answer to opur PP woes and that he's the trade deadline piece that makes us ready to try and repeat.

Two questions from the people who would know (you guys):

1. Is Whitney the type of player that would gel on a team like the Pens and help us push for another Cup?

2. What would you guys want to get him or more speciifcally, what do you think management would ask for to get him?

Thank for any input you can give, as I'm curious what your take might be. Good luck to you guys and hats off for giving older Staal the "C". Hell of a player and he's acting like it since he got the new letter on his sweater.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Either a first rounder, or a second plus a young roster player/ decent prospect. I am not sure how many times I have said this haha, it seems like every thread on our forum. As for your first question, Whitney could gel with anybody, he makes some crazy slick passes and his stick handling is awesome.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:56 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Whitney seems like a hell of an option to play with Malkin or Crosby. I would probably like to see him play with Geno, if this actually happened.

He's a hell of a player and we would be lucky to have him, that's for sure.

Old
01-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I think Whitney along side of Crosby would be deadly. Both smart players, both can score, and both with great vision/passing ability.

Crosby is a MUCH better player, but they share a lot of qualities and IMO, I think they would mesh well together.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I think Whitney along side of Crosby would be deadly. Both smart players, both can score, and both with great vision/passing ability.

Crosby is a MUCH better player, but they share a lot of qualities and IMO, I think they would mesh well together.
I agree with you.

What would you guys want in return? I've heard a 1st, which I doubt and a 2nd + prospect. Does this make sense?

I would imagine a 2nd rd pick + AHL prospect = done deal. Sound like something you guys would do?

Old
01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Depends on the prospect.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:03 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Depends on the prospect.
I think Jimmy finds ready for NHL prospects.. maybe i'm wrong .

we will see what will happen with The Wizard soon. Imo he will going to Kings but Nashville can be good option for him too.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:52 PM
bleedgreen

i think ray will get a first rounder or a legit almost ready prospect.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:42 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i think ray will get a first rounder or a legit almost ready prospect.
If Rutherford waits long enough or a team, like the Canes did with Weight, decides to get the jump on everyone else, it's certainly possible. With the later trade deadline this year meaning less adjustment time for rental players, there may be a better chance of of someone pulling the trigger early.

It doesn't hurt either that 8 teams are currently separated by no more than 2 points for the final 2 playoff spots. Always good to have that many potential buyers in the Eastern Conference alone, which is probably going to be Whitney's preferred destination.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Always good to have that many potential buyers in the Eastern Conference alone
I think this is why a team will trade (what fans consider to be an overpayment of) a first rounder at the very least to get Whitney. For what common wisdom says is a legitimate and consistent scoring threat who makes his linemates better, and a cap hit fits in with darn near any team, there is going to be a lot of competition for his services. That will only serve to drive his trade value a lot higher than what people would normally think.

With absolutely no offense to the original poster, I think the thing that fans of these buying teams always forget is that they aren't the only ones shopping. It isn't about what Whitney is worth to the other team...it's about what is being offered to the Hurricanes for Whitney, and whether your team is even in the ballpark with its offer. This how an overpayment comes calling, and it's why you can forget about your 2nd+AHLer even being considered...unless that AHL player is someone that the Canes management is overvaluing, of course.

The more Whitney keeps producing, the more I think that a first-round pick becomes the floor offer, and then it's a matter of whose first pick is the most attractive.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote