HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#53: Islanders @ Flyers - January 30, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET) ‎

Old
01-30-2010, 04:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2151
Post game quotes:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...373&feedID=695

Quote:
“He was good today, it seems like he has that edge when he’s most effective,” Richards said of Hartnell. “You don’t like to see him sitting in the penalty box, but it’s nice to see that fire and determination and hitting bodies and being physical in the game. When he’s like that, he’s at his best.

Quote:
“He was eating pucks up a little better tonight, not allowing rebounds and things of that nature,” Chris Pronger said. “And that’s important for a goalie, especially on a power play for the other team – when the goaltender’s eating it up, it’s very frustrating to the other team looking for loose rebounds and second and third opportunities.”

Quote:
“We played a team that was aggressive,” Laviolette said. “They were down, and anytime we’re going to play teams that are around us and you’ve got a lead you better put your hard hat on and get ready, because they’re going to be coming, and after the second was over and the swing, the change, and the momentum, the third period, we picked it back up, still not to the way we did in the first, but I think they changed their game.”

Quote:
“I think, honestly, probably every team struggles with [consistency],” Laviolette said. “If you go ask their coach right now and ask him if you thought the consistency was perfect tonight, and they’d say no. Then you go and ask anyone else playing tonight and, you know, 60 minutes, night after night, that’s what everybody strives for, and all you can do is keep working toward it.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Scoopyten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Crosby could say the exact same thing.

I just don't like it, it's a female dog move IMO.
The Flyers have had more than their fair share of guys that excelled at diving over the years. If you can get away with it, you get away with it.

Hell, Recchi and Barber were ARTISTES at diving.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:30 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
I don't think they talked to Toronto, which they can't do to reverse a play for goalie interference. But they probably looked at the replay on the scoreboard a couple times before deciding which is BS. Fraser should have had the final decision since he was on top of the play. The fact that the other ref overturned it was BS. Especially since his arm wasn't up when it happened.
My question is if one Fraser signaled goal and the other ref signaled penalty (which may or may not have been true either), then the timing of the two events is paramount. Wouldn't they be able to review the play to determine timing of goal/penalty if that was really the situation?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
The Flyers have had more than their fair share of guys that excelled at diving over the years. If you can get away with it, you get away with it.

Hell, Recchi and Barber were ARTISTES at diving.
Oh absolutely, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Crosby could say the exact same thing.

I just don't like it, it's a female dog move IMO.
When you win, you're really not all that concerned about how you win.

I've said many times, the league's apathetic, if not ignorant, approach to diving, is obvious. Painfully so to those who just want to see the game played the right way.

With the league's empty threats to curtail it, they've sent the message that embellishment and diving are not only clearly acceptable, part of the game, but part of the strategy as well.

Dive away.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
BerubeBox*

Carcillo's approach to embellishment reminded me a lot of a game when Scott Stevens was taking out our players' knees and not getting called for it. The first shift he had an opportunity, Lindros came out and made a beeline for Stevens. He could have plastered him against the boards in the usual way, but instead he plastered him into the boards and tried to low-bridge him at the same time. It wasn't very effective, but it sent the message and it got out the frustration. The message being: "if that's how it's gonna be, that's how it's gonna be".

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Oh absolutely, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
True enough. I'm not a huge fan of it, but if the refs are dumb enough to hand you a PP...

Old
01-30-2010, 07:58 PM
kicksave27

Are the flyers on "double secret probation" again? That's 2 games in two weeks where they've had a goal taken a way and put shorthanded. I think the fix is officially in against the flyers.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Go Rangers Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Charlie, do you watch the Scotties ?? My friend is the lead for Team Manitoba
I'll probably watch some of it - I was out most of the day today, and had dinner with friends. That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
peacepipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We are barely beating the Isles... what the hell
no disrespect here but i dont really like comments like that. i mean points and place in standings dont always indicate actually what a team is capable of. any nhl team can beat any other on any given night or underdogs in a playoff round win quite often

peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Kaktus*

I am just happy we did not lose this one.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:45 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
no disrespect here but i dont really like comments like that. i mean points and place in standings dont always indicate actually what a team is capable of. any nhl team can beat any other on any given night or underdogs in a playoff round win quite often
For what it's worth I want to see the Islanders in the playoffs this year. For pretty much the same reason I wanted the hawks to make it the last few years.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Never said that. But when there is times in the 2/3rd where a team who is average (no disrespect to them. They have a young team who in time will be good. They add some of their draft pieces in, and they will be contenders I think) outplays a supposedly "Stanely Cup team" it gets frustrating. Of course lower teams beat the top teams, but alot of the "top" teams lose and outplay the other team. I think we outplayed them in the 1st, but the 2nd and especially the 3rd, there were times where they were in our zone for 1-3 mins. Thats really bad.

I'd rather be a team thats on fire going into playoffs (see: Carolina) then a team thats barely .500 and wins some and loses some.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Islanders were only 1 point behind us 12 hours ago. They're not pushovers. We've beaten them 14 in a row too, so each game they're going to have that something extra.

Old
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Islanders were only 1 point behind us 12 hours ago. They're not pushovers. We've beaten them 14 in a row too, so each game they're going to have that something extra.
Well going by that logic, there are 8 teams that are as good as us since we are 1-3 points off of everyone. Going by that also means we need to step our game up or we might not make playoffs.

Old
01-31-2010, 12:48 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Well going by that logic, there are 8 teams that are as good as us since we are 1-3 points off of everyone.
They are as good as we've been during the whole season. How many other teams are essentially bringing guys off the street and/or scrap heap? At least this year they've actually played in the NHL and were under contract this season unlike last year.

Quote:
Going by that also means we need to step our game up or we might not make playoffs.
Absolutely. No room for 10-game losing streaks and losing 12 of 14 or whatever it was in this league. Boston lost 6 in a row now (won 1 of 10), 2 weeks ago when they played the Kings they were in like 5th. This time tomorrow they could be in 12th

Old
01-31-2010, 06:59 AM
Scoopyten

Quote:
The problem is that the Flyers, in the situation they are in, need to show a lot more desperation.

The Flyers should have blown the doors off New York yesterday.

Old
01-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
And we're now 3 points ahead of them with two games in hand.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Still scary that 3 points separate the Flyers and Islanders, and the Flyers are 6th and the Islanders are 13th.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

http://twitpic.com/10q1zg

Picture from practice in Calgary from the Flyers OTF Twitter. Lavy's making them skate.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
http://twitpic.com/10q1zg

Picture from practice in Calgary from the Flyers OTF Twitter. Lavy's making them skate.
Oh **** I forgot. We get to check out the new Flames 1st. Should be interesting.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Still scary that 3 points separate the Flyers and Islanders, and the Flyers are 6th and the Islanders are 13th.
I know. However, considering our new coach, the fact that our team should be better then every team behind us, that we're currently in 6th place with games in hand on everyone besides NJ, and that we have a relatively easy schedule for the rest of the year, I'm not afraid.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I know. However, considering our new coach, the fact that our team should be better then every team behind us, that we're currently in 6th place with games in hand on everyone besides NJ, and that we have a relatively easy schedule for the rest of the year, I'm not afraid.
A lot of it just comes down to if they show up every game. Even they said going into the 3rd vs Atlanta they felt they had the win and that attitude came back to bite them. They need to play on their toes for the rest of the year or their season will be over sooner than expected. Considering many said they'd win the East this year, a lot of people consider the Flyers a huge bust this year (ironically, much like the next team they play, the Flames)
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
01-31-2010, 01:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
That cushion goes away quickly when you don't win games.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
A lot of it just comes down to if they show up every game. Even they said going into the 3rd vs Atlanta they felt they had the win and that attitude came back to bite them. They need to play on their toes for the rest of the year or their season will be over sooner than expected. Considering many said they'd win the East this year, a lot of people consider the Flyers a huge bust this year (ironically, much like the next team they play, the Flames)
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure what you expect to happen. I'd be surprised if they missed the playoffs. Most people that watch hockey know that point totals can be misleading. The only reason why we're at where we're at is because of that seventeen game or so slump in the middle of the season. So far there has been two distinctly different teams on display this year. The team that was playing like the worst in the league during that slump and the team that has been playing like a top team in the East (the team from the rest of the year). It's hard to accurately judge the team right now for that reason.

They're not a "bust" until they either miss the playoffs or get eliminated in them. Until then they're still in it. Any experienced hockey fan should know that.

Quote:
That cushion goes away quickly when you don't win games.
I'm tempted to post a Captain Obvious picture. No offense.