HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2009-2010 Around the League Thread (Phaneuf Traded to Maple Leafs)

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2009, 01:26 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
The Official 2009-2010 Around the League Thread (Phaneuf Traded to Maple Leafs)

All is in the title. Let's discuss here everything non-related to the Rangers universe. Hope the moderation staff is ok with that.

Anyone caught the Isles game yesterday? I didn't watch Tavares play yet, how is he doing with the big boys?

Old
09-24-2009, 01:37 AM
OverTheCap

I watched the Isles game.

Tavares looks decent. He made a sweet little dangle and had an assist. He's definitely noticeable when he has the puck.

I think anyone expecting a Crosby-like rookie year is going to be disappointed. He'll probably have a rookie year that is more similar to what Stamkos did last season.

The Isles really do not have a good supporting cast for Tavares right now. Their big name players include Weight, Hunter, and Okposo. It will be a long season on the Island for sure....

Old
09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm actually kinda pulling for Tavares to do well. He seems to suffer from the typical post-Crosby hype that has afflicted so many other good players. It seems like some people notice the slightest flaw in his game and are ready to crown him the next Alexandre Daigle. I think he's going to be a very exciting player and should add a little interest to the rivalry again.

Old
09-24-2009, 01:49 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I'm actually kinda pulling for Tavares to do well. He seems to suffer from the typical post-Crosby hype that has afflicted so many other good players. It seems like some people notice the slightest flaw in his game and are ready to crown him the next Alexandre Daigle. I think he's going to be a very exciting player and should add a little interest to the rivalry again.
Definitely, before you know it the Garden crowd will be booing Tavares just like they do with Crosby.

I know we're supposed to revel in our rival's struggles, but the Isles-Rangers rivalry is so much more entertaining when both teams are competitive.

We had some good games against the Isles in 2006-07. The home-and-home series was just insane that year. DP played out of his mind and had 50-something saves at the Garden, and then Cullen ended up winning it for us in the shootout. Then the next game at the Coliseum was the infamous Hollweg-Simon incident. I think I despised the Isles more than I hated the Devils that year....

Old
09-24-2009, 02:03 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Yep it's always better when both teams are at maximum strength. Obviously it's going to take much longer for the Isles to get there than it did for the Penguins, but they'll be a competitive team before not much longer. You have to figure when players see Okposo and Tavares along with guys like Streit, that'll make it an intriguing place to play.

Old
09-24-2009, 04:24 AM
lebear
I have no idea

Sjöström was playing on the first line with Jokinen and Iginla tonight, he scored and got 16:26 mins on ice. Cool

Old
09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Few notes from preseason:

-I really like the addition of Malhotra for SJ. Thats a deep team, how can they not make it to the finals with that group of players?

-Florida made a hell of a pick in Kulikov, that kid looked fantastic in the two games I watched. Same goes for John Moore of Columbus, he played 20 minutes vs Boston a few nights ago and looked like a Pro.

-Atlanta's line of Kovalchuk/Antropov/Little will rack up the points, too bad thats all Atlanta has.

-Washington can beat Pitt in the long run if they stay healthy, Knuble was a good addition and the kids there now have some experience. Varlamov has looked sharp early.

Old
09-24-2009, 09:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I really like the addition of Malhotra for SJ. Thats a deep team, how can they not make it to the finals with that group of players?
Don't we say that every year?

09-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Don't we say that every year?
Definitely. Just feel like there is no better lineup that team can field then the one they have now. Philly of the West?

Old
09-24-2009, 09:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Definitely. Just feel like there is no better lineup that team can field then the one they have now. Philly of the West?
Philly has had the same problem for years — goaltending. I don't think it's quite so easy to pin-point what the Shark's downfall has been.

Old
09-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Philly has had the same problem for years — goaltending. I don't think it's quite so easy to pin-point what the Shark's downfall has been.
Yeah, but like Philly I think they're only 1, maybe 2, players away from being that good. They need a Mike Ricci gritty type guy in that lineup I think. Not sure Scott Nichol is that guy.

Old
09-24-2009, 09:48 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
-I really like the addition of Malhotra for SJ. Thats a deep team, how can they not make it to the finals with that group of players?
Also add, they got Manny for only 700k. Talk about an absolute bargain and makes you especially sad when you see Rissmiller and Voros making 1/mil a piece.

Old
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Also add, they got Manny for only 700k. Talk about an absolute bargain and makes you especially sad when you see Rissmiller and Voros making 1/mil a piece.
Thats just insane, great bargain.

Old
09-24-2009, 11:01 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Gretzky resigns

Quote:
The Phoenix Coyotes saga took another dramatic turn on Thursday, as Wayne Gretzky has stepped down from his post as the team's head coach.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292399

Old
09-24-2009, 11:07 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post
not unexpected. at all.

Old
09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

Yeah, just hope this mess will end one day, that's getting ridiculous. You think this team has hit rock bottom, that they will have some rest, and something new happens. Dave King's malaise yesterday, TGO who resigns today. A lot for this week. Long season ahead in the desert...

Old
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Definitely, before you know it the Garden crowd will be booing Tavares just like they do with Crosby.
People boo Crosby because he's a whiny little snot (or at least used to be) and he's also better than everyone else in the league not named Ovechkin or Malkin, and it's debatable on whether those guys are better than him.

Tavares will never ever be as good as Crosby.

Old
09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #97 View Post

He should have been removed a long time ago. Gonna be interesting to see who they bring in now.

Old
09-24-2009, 12:07 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Thank whoever that Gretzky has stepped down. Dave Tippett is a rumored replacement for Gretzky

Old
09-24-2009, 12:39 PM
OverTheCap

Barry Melrose said Gretzky would make a great GM.... will Sather open up a new assistant GM position for him? Edmonton reunion!

Old
09-24-2009, 01:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Barry Melrose said Gretzky would make a great GM.... will Sather open up a new assistant GM position for him? Edmonton reunion!
With Barnett and Messier in house that would make the trifecta

Old
09-24-2009, 01:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
I watched the Isles game.

Tavares looks decent. He made a sweet little dangle and had an assist. He's definitely noticeable when he has the puck.

I think anyone expecting a Crosby-like rookie year is going to be disappointed. He'll probably have a rookie year that is more similar to what Stamkos did last season.

The Isles really do not have a good supporting cast for Tavares right now. Their big name players include Weight, Hunter, and Okposo. It will be a long season on the Island for sure....
Well Tavares won't have Malkin on his wing his rookie year so anyone expecting a Crosby-like rookie year is severely mislead.

Old
09-24-2009, 02:04 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Well Tavares won't have Malkin on his wing his rookie year so anyone expecting a Crosby-like rookie year is severely mislead.
Malkin wasn't in the league during Crosby's rookie year, he was a rookie during Crosby's sophomore season.

But Tavares doesn't seem nearly as talented as either Malkin or Crosby. I think some people are under the mistaken assumption that the 1st pick of the draft must have this huge breakout rookie season otherwise they are a bust. Tavares will be good but he probably won't approach the Crosby-Ovechkin level of greatness.

Old
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Malkin wasn't in the league during Crosby's rookie year, he was a rookie during Crosby's sophomore season.

But Tavares doesn't seem nearly as talented as either Malkin or Crosby. I think some people are under the mistaken assumption that the 1st pick of the draft must have this huge breakout rookie season otherwise they are a bust. Tavares will be good but he probably won't approach the Crosby-Ovechkin level of greatness.
I agree. I think we've gotten a little bit spoiled with Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin all having huge impacts immediately. I think it will take Tavares a couple of seasons to really hit his stride.

Old
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
chosen

Quote:
Say what you want but I like a lot of the young players on Phoenix. Doesn't mean they'll pan out but I'm guessing that a couple will. If they do, it will be interesting to see if people change their opinion of Gretzky as GM. If they don't pan out, he deserves some of this stuff.

Closed Thread