HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anybody Buying The Kevlar Hockey Socks?

Old
01-29-2010, 09:18 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Anybody Buying The Kevlar Hockey Socks?

Seems like a great idea, the skate socks seem like all you would need and they aren't that highly priced. However, the skate socks are $75? After looking at the site I noticed the drag down menu for the team choices doesn't specify home or away and the skate socks are sized for your feet or the size of your skates? Probably a stupid question but the way the menus are I wanted to be sure what I was ordering. Here you go http://www.tacticssocks.com/

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:18 AM
nyr33

vCash: 500
75$? That is insane. the skate socks seem legit though. To answer your question, there is a choice of dark/or light which is most likely the home or away choice. The dark would probably be the home socks. And they are most likely asking for foot size not skate size, but im not positive. let me know how these things are, them seem really interesting.

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:37 AM
prorobo

Send a message via AIM to prorobo
The SKATE socks go directly on your leg/foot (under your shin pads/hockey socks). The HOCKEY socks are your normal team color type socks.

If you're matching the colors of the league you're playing in, the "light" would most likely be home while the "dark" would be away. But you should have both anyways unless you're somehow always home or always away, right?

Oh and, these are cut RESISTANT, not cut proof. So don't put them on and have a teammate step on your leg to test them out.

prorobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by prorobo View Post
The SKATE socks go directly on your leg/foot (under your shin pads/hockey socks). The HOCKEY socks are your normal team color type socks.

If you're matching the colors of the league you're playing in, the "light" would most likely be home while the "dark" would be away. But you should have both anyways unless you're somehow always home or always away, right?

Oh and, these are cut RESISTANT, not cut proof. So don't put them on and have a teammate step on your leg to test them out.
Yah, they explained it during the intermission of a hockey game I was watching. If you take a knife and stab the sock you'll puncture it. But if you go in a slicing motion it will not cut. That's where the $75 may turn out to be a good deal. The RBK socks seem to tear rather easily. So, based on theory, these kevlar hockey socks should last a lot longer unless you're playing in a league with Jack The Ripper. Still, in this economy no way I'm spending $75 on hockey socks when I have a closet full of them already in every different color I could possibly need. I will be buying the skate socks though, never had a problem with getting hit by blades but just knowing you're safe out there is worth the extra couple of bucks over my Vapor socks I use now. I'd like to get a review on the hockey socks from the first person who buys them though. If they do last longer I might invest in a pair.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
jsykes

I'd be interested in hearing your review on the skate socks. I like the idea, but like a real thin sock so I'd like to know how thick or thin these might be.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Yeah, light will be the socks to go with the white uniform and dark will go with the colored one.

And the skate socks are catching on with a number of guys in the NHL. Good idea, but pricey. And not a new idea- nike swift socks have a strip of kevlar sewn into the back.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Yeah, light will be the socks to go with the white uniform and dark will go with the colored one.

And the skate socks are catching on with a number of guys in the NHL. Good idea, but pricey. And not a new idea- nike swift socks have a strip of kevlar sewn into the back.
I have 2 pairs of the Swift socks, never knew that. Is the kevlar the grey fabric that touches your calf? Ordered the skate socks tonight, site says they're already overwhelmed and shipments will take 2-3 weeks.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I have 2 pairs of the Swift socks, never knew that. Is the kevlar the grey fabric that touches your calf? Ordered the skate socks tonight, site says they're already overwhelmed and shipments will take 2-3 weeks.
I would think so.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:35 PM
ModSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Yes - Gretzky insisted Nike include it when they did the testing for Swift.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote