HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Rock Riley claims Lecavalier has been asked to waive his NMC

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
CSampson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Want Revenge View Post
The NHLPA can file a grievance all they want. It's not against the rules to scratch a healthy player.
Yep, but you know they would get their sticky fingers in that situation somehow. Reminds me of McCabe and Toronto.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
HedmanIsMyHomeboy

Send a message via MSN to HedmanIsMyHomeboy
Honestly, the fact that we even give these rumors a second look at this point is just silly. There has been talk of trading Vinny long before he became the superstar he is today, and there will be talk long after. Let's review all the rumors that have occurred in the last six months:

1. We're going to trade Vinny if we end up being able to draft Tavares.

2. We're going to trade Vinny to the Kings in return for Jack Johnson.

3. We're going to trade Vinny to the Kings in return for Jack Johnson, but he doesn't want to play for us so we're going to trade him to the Penguins in return for Jordan Staal.

4. We're going to trade Lecavalier at the draft to the Canadiens, and the deal has already been worked out but Gainey is waiting to announce it during the draft because it's taking place in Montreal and he wants it to be a huge deal.

That didn't happen, so then we get this:

5. The deal was going to happen, but then Len Barrie vetoed it at the last second because the Lightning can't make any major moves without the approval of both owners. As soon as Barrie is out, Vinny leaves Tampa.

That still hasn't happened. So now in the last couple of months we have:

6. Vinny isn't happy in Tampa and wants to be traded, specifically because he's been bumped down to the third line and doesn't get to play with Marty.

7. Vinny is going to get traded to the New York Rangers and go play for Torts again.

8. Vinny is going to get traded to Philadelphia for Carter and Coburn.

9. Montreal hasn't named a captain yet because they're waiting to get Lecavalier. (This one is a personal favorite of mine.)

10. Once the Lightning gets a new majority owner, the first thing he's going to do is cut major payroll and ship Vinny off to any team that will take him.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I'd say that covers most of the rumors that have popped up in the last half-year alone. A few of them are "pending", but in the case of the others, have any of them come true? No. Not even close, from what we know. So why start taking the rumors seriously now?

Honestly, as much as we say Vinny isn't the type of guy to not waive his NMC if asked, I could see him refusing to do it at this point. He's been put through a lot, he's deeply involved in the community, his girlfriend is pregnant (and she does live with him full-time here in Tampa now, for those that didn't know)...I mean, him leaving just does not make sense right now, both professionally and personally.

With that being said, I don't think he'll be traded. I believe his home will be Tampa for many years to come.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I just can't see any trade happening. To me if they really wanted to get rid of Vinny they would have done it last year before his NMC kicked in and we weren't currently in 8th place. It was the perfect opportunity. They could have gotten some great picks for that awesome draft, and had a little more depth for this season. They could have done it at the trade deadline or the draft. This was the second season in a row we were dreadful, and there was every reason to trade him.

Seriously what is the point of a NMC if the team is going to force you to go through with the trade anyway. It can only make the team image go down, which isn't so great to begin with. After giving Vinny a NMC are you really going to do stuff to make your captain, franchise player, the most loyal player this team has ever had, Mr. Classy, who does so much for the fans and community, etc leave on those terms. If so there is no hope for this team. You did it to Boyle already and maybe to Kuba, but to do it to Vinny....that would just be terrible. If the team were to punish Vinny until he accepts a trade...

thank you!!!!!!!!!

It would just be classless to it to a guy like Vinny, the fans will not like it if they do such a low thing to him, he doesn't deserve it, he just doesn't.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
Not to mention the NHLPA filing some sort of grievance . Anyone read that article from the Hockey News? Saying that a Vinny to Habs trade was done in the summer but Bettman nixed it. The article also said that a trade to LA was on the table.

I don't have a ****ing clue what to believe anymore. Financially we can't keep Vinny long term. Stamkos and Hedman are gonna cost us, especially Stamkos. There is no way we keep Vinny over him, so logically it means Vinny needs to find a new home. If we got Simmonds and Johnson in return, like reported, I say we do it. But that's why we post on HF Boards and are not in the executive board room.
I don't really want anything to do with Jack Johnson.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:23 PM
OptimismRestrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post

Im sure it would sit very well with fans,out of town.
What fans? He certainly isn't putting ***** in seats anymore. He has become a liability, like it or not. Personally, I wouldn't buy this joke of a franchise either, especially with that contract on it.

OK has made this team a laughing stock less than 5 years removed from a Stanley Cup.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I don't really want anything to do with Jack Johnson.
Just turned 23 with all around skills. We could do worse.

01-30-2010, 03:35 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimismRestrainer View Post
What fans? He certainly isn't putting ***** in seats anymore. He has become a liability, like it or not. Personally, I wouldn't buy this joke of a franchise either, especially with that contract on it.

OK has made this team a laughing stock less than 5 years removed from a Stanley Cup.
Jay Feaster helped.

Quote:
Just turned 23 with all around skills. We could do worse.
He reminds me of Phaneuf. Flash first, then defense. Meh.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Jay Feaster helped.

He reminds me of Phaneuf. Flash first, then defense. Meh.
So getting Dan Boyle v2 will give the theoretical fans who jump ship another player to cheer for. Give him 22 and some will probably think Boyle just had a growth spurt at age 34.

Last edited by Going Back to Cally: 01-30-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I'm not sure in trading Vinny... if we trade him I'd want something better than Simmonds and Johnson

Old
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
I'm not sure in trading Vinny... if we trade him I'd want something better than Simmonds and Johnson
You would be lucky to get those 2 players.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
So getting Dan Boyle v2 will help the theoretical fans who jump ship another player to cheer for. Give him 22 and some will probably think Boyle just had a growth spurt at age 34.
Haha.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, people. Lets be honest, this was Rock ****ing Riley with this "scoop", which means he doesn't have a damn clue.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:54 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Haha.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, people. Lets be honest, this was Rock ****ing Riley with this "scoop", which means he doesn't have a damn clue.
True, but combined with the ongoing articles coming from the Hockey News, these two sources of info pair together nice to get me a bit nervous.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
True, but combined with the ongoing articles coming from the Hockey News, these two sources of info pair together nice to get me a bit nervous.
I'm not sure I would consider Riley a source of info. He seems more of the type of guy who vaguely remembers hearing about Lecavalier during 04, reads a rumor that he might be traded and decides to run with it knowing that if he's wrong it won't matter because nobody takes him seriously anyway.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Tokala

That was a nice read......

I see him being traded someday. I don't think it's this year or for a couple of more. As aggravating as it to watch a hugely talented guy play half-assed hockey most nights, he's still a 1 PPG guy. Not too shabby. Wish he pull his head out of his and with a little more effort become a 1.5 PPG player.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokala View Post
That was a nice read......

I see him being traded someday. I don't think it's this year or for a couple of more. As aggravating as it to watch a hugely talented guy play half-assed hockey most nights, he's still a 1 PPG guy. Not too shabby. Wish he pull his head out of his and with a little more effort become a 1.5 PPG player.
Exactly. I don't know what it takes to motivate that boy but I wish they'd figure it out and perfect that process. 50-goal Vinny was a FORCE. I want that guy back.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:38 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Simmonds is still something of an unknown quantity. JJ is also still developing, if we also got a good prospect, I'd be willing to take it.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:48 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Get rid of Tanguay at the trading deadline / next season and let Halpern center the 3rd again and put two real top6 wingers around Vinny and you'll get that 1.x+ PPG player he used to be, I guarantee you that. His performance has improved greatly lately. I'm talking about not only the points he's piling up the last few weeks but also factors as confidence, effort, caring, etc. He's leading the team in shots on goal, he had several magic moments lately, pulled off several brilliant passes Tangz neither was nor is able to finish. Take a look at last week's poll, a lot of you guys said he has to get his **** together. I think he's there now. It's just no Marty on his side anymore who could read Vinny's play two steps ahead and vice versa. If Tangz wasn't such a disappointment and if we had a real top6 RW besides Marty I think things could and would be very different.

Trading him in the near future IMO doesn't make a lot of sense. If we want to keep Stamkos and Hedman in Tampa after their current contracts expire we will have to consider it.

Old
01-30-2010, 04:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Get rid of Tanguay at the trading deadline / next season and let Halpern center the 3rd again and put two real top6 wingers around Vinny and you'll get that 1.x+ PPG player he used to be, I guarantee you that. His performance has improved greatly lately. I'm not only talking about the points he's piling up the last few weeks but also factors as confidence, effort, caring, etc. He's leading the team in shots on goal, he had a magic moment here and there, pulled off several brilliant passes Tangz is just not able to realize / finish. Take a look at last week's poll, a lot of you guys said he has to get his **** together. I think he's there now. It's just no Marty St. Louis on his side anymore who could Vinny's play two steps ahead and vice versa. If Tangz wasn't such a disappointment and if we had a real top6 RW besides Marty I think things could and would be very different.

Trading him in the near future IMO doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment. If we want to keep Stamkos and Hedman in Tampa after their current contracts expire we will have to consider it.
So what was the excuse when he was playing with Marty and Malone?

Old
01-30-2010, 04:54 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
So what was the excuse when he was playing with Marty and Malone?
That was Mr Elite Superstar Lecavalier not getting his act together.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
That was Mr Elite Superstar Lecavalier not getting his act together.
So we can agree on that.

For reference, just caught this bit from BP - the THN article was written by Ken Campbell, the author of "Habs Heroes" and other crap. No wonder he thinks Vinny will be moved.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:25 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

Quote:
So we can agree on that.
I never denied that. But if you watch him play and look at Vinny's game log for the last few weeks that's close to the Vinny we want him to be, I guess. You have to consider he's centering Jeff ****ing Halpern and Alex "I'm a good skater and that's about it" Tanguay.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
CSampson

Sportsnet just reported that Vinny will not waive his NMC under any circumstances...Brophy made it sound like he called and asked his agent, but wasn't specific.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

Hopefully it's not true. The Lecavalier contract was OK/LB's worst move. Hiring Melrose or trading Boyle won't even come close when we lose 25 year old Stamkos.

Old
01-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Who the hell is Rock Riley?

Old
01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
If Riley gets something right it will be an accident.

Slightly OT, why is the sports coverage in this town so horrible? And not just for hockey, although that's the worst. It's all bad. I miss Chris Thomas.
Chris Thomas. I knew Chris when I first started working in radio in Baltimore. We ran his radio show on the Sports talk station I took care of in Sarasota as well.

Great guy

Closed Thread