HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stamina problems

Old
01-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

vCash: 500
Stamina problems

Hey guys,

I play as a defensive forward at the moment but I have serious stamina problems. I like to play a good fore- and backchecking which is my biggest strenght. The problem is that after some shifts I really start to struggle. My game is pretty useless when I have no energy left. I can just go to the slot and screen the goalie/deflect shots/battle for the rebounds, but I can't play well defensively. When I played as a defender the stamina problem wasn't that essential.

I'm just hoping to get advices from experienced hockey players. What can I do to improve my stamina and how often should I do it per week? I haven't been playing hockey for that long (about one year now) and I only played soccer (naturally for a German) when I was in elementary school.

I'm sorry for my bad English...

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 11:52 AM
j12

I always had trouble with stamina as well. I was a centre too, and it's easily the toughest position to play. What I found helped were two things, one is easy to work on, the other might be difficult.

First, work on your skating. You might have an inefficient skating stride which is causing you to spend too much energy. Do one of two things - do power skating with a power skating coach, or have someone film you from a variety of angles so you can later watch and see what you might be doing wrong. Obviously having a coach who can watch you and help would be much better, but if you can't afford to go to a power skating class, at least you'll be able to watch the video of yourself and see what doesn't look right or show it to someone who can help you. You could even post it on youtube and have people from HFboards help you out. Search on youtube for power skating drills, and do those when you can.

The second thing you can do is work on your positional play, that way you're not always chasing players or the puck and you're spending energy that could be conserved by simply being in the right spot at the right time. I think this is harder because it's somewhat dependent on coaching but also on hockey smarts. This is what i was best at but it's something that doesn't come easily. Understanding where to be on the ice during different situations is typically something we learn from a coach, but you can also learn from watching other people. Watch some professional games (NHL, or any euro league) and pay close attention to what the centre does. Watch a guy like Crosby who plays the position as well as anyone I've seen. Otherwise, you're basing it on instincts and unfortunately that can't really be taught.

Hopefully that helps. Best of luck.

j12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12 View Post
I always had trouble with stamina as well. I was a centre too, and it's easily the toughest position to play. What I found helped were two things, one is easy to work on, the other might be difficult.

First, work on your skating. You might have an inefficient skating stride which is causing you to spend too much energy. Do one of two things - do power skating with a power skating coach, or have someone film you from a variety of angles so you can later watch and see what you might be doing wrong. Obviously having a coach who can watch you and help would be much better, but if you can't afford to go to a power skating class, at least you'll be able to watch the video of yourself and see what doesn't look right or show it to someone who can help you. You could even post it on youtube and have people from HFboards help you out. Search on youtube for power skating drills, and do those when you can.

The second thing you can do is work on your positional play, that way you're not always chasing players or the puck and you're spending energy that could be conserved by simply being in the right spot at the right time. I think this is harder because it's somewhat dependent on coaching but also on hockey smarts. This is what i was best at but it's something that doesn't come easily. Understanding where to be on the ice during different situations is typically something we learn from a coach, but you can also learn from watching other people. Watch some professional games (NHL, or any euro league) and pay close attention to what the centre does. Watch a guy like Crosby who plays the position as well as anyone I've seen. Otherwise, you're basing it on instincts and unfortunately that can't really be taught.

this... I don't think there's anything else you can really do, other than running, skiing, swimming or whatever. I have the same problem, but I just started this thursday so I just need to get some more trainings in my legs. As well as work on my positioning.

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Ricky Bobby

Amazing answer by j12.

Increasing your cardio level by doing other activities like the bike, running, etc. will also help. The best way to train is by doing wind sprints where you go hard for 60 to 90 seconds and then at an easier level for a bit then back to hard.

I'm not sure how you skate. You should follow j12 guide to improve that but one thing I notice with a lot of guys who started playing hockey later on is that they swing there stick side to side when they are trying to gain speed going forward. Focusing on keep your arms going forward and will have more speed and use less energy than going side to side.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Exercise bikes are dirt cheap these days. I only use in the summer though because i just dont care anymore.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Gino 14

Something simple is to look at your diet and make sure you're eating right before games to ensure you have the energy in your system to make it through the games. Not saying that conditioning isn't huge, but diet is something you need to consider also.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Areid1990

Diet is a big part of it. Like Gino said if your not properly nourished your body won't be able to handle the intensity and you will tire fast.

I like to have Pasta and maybe a piece of chicken an hour and a half before I play.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 10:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Something simple is to look at your diet and make sure you're eating right before games to ensure you have the energy in your system to make it through the games. Not saying that conditioning isn't huge, but diet is something you need to consider also.
Not only right before games but 24 hours in advance. If you eat a pizza and drink some beers for dinner on Saturday night and have a hockey game at 2 PM Sunday that beer and pizza will still be in your system. I try to watch what I eat the day before and the day after for recovery purposes. I'd also try eating a banana before a game since potassium prevents the onset of lactic acid. And don't forget your daily vitamin.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Hey guys,

I play as a defensive forward at the moment but I have serious stamina problems. I like to play a good fore- and backchecking which is my biggest strenght. The problem is that after some shifts I really start to struggle. My game is pretty useless when I have no energy left. I can just go to the slot and screen the goalie/deflect shots/battle for the rebounds, but I can't play well defensively. When I played as a defender the stamina problem wasn't that essential.

I'm just hoping to get advices from experienced hockey players. What can I do to improve my stamina and how often should I do it per week? I haven't been playing hockey for that long (about one year now) and I only played soccer (naturally for a German) when I was in elementary school.

I'm sorry for my bad English...
Hey half of Americans need to apologize for THEIR English. Yours is probably better than most here.

Okay the tips given already will help you out with this issue. The biggest thing is to not be overweight, I did not see you mention anything about your body condition.

I can tell you after I lost the 40 lbs that I had gained from being middle aged I felt tons better. My whole life I had great stamina and then after 35 years old I got fat easily, it raised my bloodpressure too which is now normal again after losing weight.

I see a guy we play with sometimes who plays about 3 times a week and he is overweight, his face is always tomato red and he is pooped half way through our games sucking wind. he plays enough to get enough cardio not to be winded and have good stamina yet he doesn't. he isn't grotesquely overweight either but you see he has extra weight on him. it makes a huge difference.

I have no idea about your situation but try out the other things mentioned by others about riding an exercise bike or jogging or whatever.

If I play less than twice a week I start to lose my stamina. if I play two times or more I stay out there longer than everyone else and what I mean is we played our hour and a half or two hours we rented and I stay on for an extra few minutes after that doing laps.

I am 41 years old, closer to 42, and play with some guys half my age.

Granted I have always had great stamina but when not doing enough cardio it slacks off and is noticable so this may be your issue. I also have an anemia issue so some days are not good for me no matter what but most are great.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:08 AM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Hey half of Americans need to apologize for THEIR English. Yours is probably better than most here.

Okay the tips given already will help you out with this issue. The biggest thing is to not be overweight, I did not see you mention anything about your body condition.

I can tell you after I lost the 40 lbs that I had gained from being middle aged I felt tons better. My whole life I had great stamina and then after 35 years old I got fat easily, it raised my bloodpressure too which is now normal again after losing weight.

I see a guy we play with sometimes who plays about 3 times a week and he is overweight, his face is always tomato red and he is pooped half way through our games sucking wind. he plays enough to get enough cardio not to be winded and have good stamina yet he doesn't. he isn't grotesquely overweight either but you see he has extra weight on him. it makes a huge difference.

I have no idea about your situation but try out the other things mentioned by others about riding an exercise bike or jogging or whatever.

If I play less than twice a week I start to lose my stamina. if I play two times or more I stay out there longer than everyone else and what I mean is we played our hour and a half or two hours we rented and I stay on for an extra few minutes after that doing laps.

I am 41 years old, closer to 42, and play with some guys half my age.

Granted I have always had great stamina but when not doing enough cardio it slacks off and is noticable so this may be your issue. I also have an anemia issue so some days are not good for me no matter what but most are great.
That's awesome that you play at 41 years old. For my spring team I made, I invited some guy at my work whos about 56 or 57 years old, and even though he had a tough time hanging with my team because were all under 20 years old, he had a fun time. Hopefully when I'm around your age I have the health to keep on playing.

And as for the stamina Salzig, the answers in the previous posts before mine are really good. Good luck out there bud.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:38 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

First of all: Thank you all for your help.

Quote:
I'll definitely work on my skating. We don't have something like skating coaches here in Germany but I will skate more often. We don't have many rinks over here - the nearest rink is about 40km away - but I hope skating on roller hockey skates will still improve my overall skating ability as well. I didn't know that my skating abilities are so close related to my stamina problems but it seems logical now.

Quote:

Yes that's another apsect I definitely have to work on. My positioning is not that bad - mostly because I watch so much hockey it's just in my head where I should go - but there is still lots of potential. I will probably communicate more often with my teammates / coach to improve my positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Increasing your cardio level by doing other activities like the bike, running, etc. will also help. The best way to train is by doing wind sprints where you go hard for 60 to 90 seconds and then at an easier level for a bit then back to hard.
That's a good idea to practive for the frequent effort which is typical for hockey. It's hard to train for shifts but that seems like a good exercise.

Quote:
Fortunately I have no weight problems at all.

Quote:
I will probably focus on jogging. I hope this will create a solid basic condition.

Again thanks to everyone who helped me out.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote