HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Snow Thou Comest - 1/30/10 - Chicago Blackhawks at Canes - 7:00 PM, FS-Carolinas

Old
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

vCash: 500
In Snow Thou Comest - 1/30/10 - Chicago Blackhawks at Canes - 7:00 PM, FS-Carolinas

The game MUST go on. Parking is free today, and if you cannot make it, you can exchange your ticket for a ticket to any of the remaining games this season.

Countdown until there is a thread made on the Business of Hockey board about the "dire situation" of hockey in Raleigh due to a 5,000 attendance at tonight's game.

@

(37-13-4, 78 pts) | (18-28-7, 43 pts)
2nd in the West | 15th in the East
6-3-1 in last 10 | 6-4-0 in last 10
Only meeting of the season

WHEN:
Saturday, January 30, 2010, 7:00 PM

WHERE:

RBC Center - Raleigh, NC

HOW:

FS-CR
WGN (HD)
99.9 The Fan

POSSIBLE LINEUPS:

CAROLINA

Ray Whitney - Eric Staal - Jussi Jokinen
Tom Kostopoulos - Matt Cullen - Sergei Samsonov
Jiri Tlusty - Brandon Sutter - Chad LaRose
Stephane Yelle - Rod Brind'Amour - Patrick Dwyer

Joni Pitkanen - Aaron Ward
Tim Gleason - Niclas Wallin
Andrew Alberts - Brett Carson

Cam Ward
Justin Peters

CHICAGO

Trowy Brouwer - Jonathan Toews - Patrick Kane
Andrew Ladd - Patrick Sharp - Marian Hossa
Dustin Byfuglien - John Madden - Kris Versteeg
Ben Eager - Colin Fraser - Kopecky

Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Jordan Hendry - Brian Campbell
Cam Barker - Brent Sopel

Cristobal Huet
Antti Niemi

INJURIES AND SUSPENSIONS:

CAROLINA
Joe Corvo (thigh)
Erik Cole (upper body)
Scott Walker (shoulder)
Tuomo Ruutu (upper body)

CHICAGO
Dave Bolland (back)
Adam Burish (knee)

STATISTICS:
CHICAGO TEAM CAROLINA
54 GP 53
37 W 18
13 L 28
4 OT 7
78 P 43
0.722 P% 0.406
3.20 G/G 2.60
2.24 GA/G 3.21
21.0 PP% 18.1
85.3 PK% 79.4
33.6 S/G 29.1
24.2 SA/G 31.1
52.8 FO% 49.1

Supporters of the tank will have to be really worried if the Canes pull off a win in this one.

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 01-30-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

so, is Legace still out with pink eye? i never heard anything about peters going back down

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Still no word on if the members of the Blackhawks will be arriving at the game via limo, or if there will be shrimp cocktail available.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Legace returned after only missing that one game; Peters was sent back down.

Old
01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

If the NC State game is any indication:

lol

Old
01-30-2010, 02:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Let the "relocate/contract/nuke the Canes" thread on the Business of Hockey (aka: bitter idiots *****ing about Balsillie not having a team) board commence.

Old
01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

If one of the latest locked topics is any indication, they don't allow new threads about relocation/contraction without official talks about the subject

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Countdown until there is a thread made on the Business of Hockey board about the "dire situation" of hockey in Raleigh due to a 5,000 attendance at tonight's game.
Funny stuff. Well played. I was just glad to hear the Hawks were able to get into town alright. I thought for sure there might be some kind of weather delay. Must've gotten in before you guys got hit with all the weather. Hope everyone stays safe out there.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Funny stuff. Well played. I was just glad to hear the Hawks were able to get into town alright. I thought for sure there might be some kind of weather delay. Must've gotten in before you guys got hit with all the weather. Hope everyone stays safe out there.
I wish they did get delayed so the game could be postponed until tomorrow

It might be awhile before they get home though. RDU is cancelling flights like crazy.

Well we are out this game. Walking around the neighborhood, underneath all the pretty white, is a sheet of ice. Not concerned about getting there its getting home when its dark and even colder. Not willing to walk home if I get stuck either, not in 16 degrees.

I'm really bummed too. Why did this crap have to happen when the Hawks are in town

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

I'm tempted to take a CAT bus to the game (or to as close as I can get), but my fear is that I will miss the bus when the game ends or they will stop running and I'll be stranded.

Probably gonna end up at home watching this one on TV.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Roads in Durham are frozen over. I'd usually leave work at 6 to get to a game like this but that would probably only get me to RDU by the opening faceoff if I did so. Not to mention we're starting to get a bunch of callouts from work, so I'm probably stuck here overnight.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
It might be awhile before they get home though. RDU is cancelling flights like crazy.
The irony, on their last game of a long road trip when all they're gonna wanna do after the game is get home. Hopefully they take that frustration out on you guys tonight.

This isn't a knock, by the way, just an amusing but totally understandable observation, but it's always funny to hear the reactions in normally mild climates when they get weather like you guys are getting. Where I'm from what you guys are getting is just another typical winter day and wouldn't keep anyone from going to the United Center for a Blackhawks game or from hanging out outside to tailgate before the Bears game. I know it's a big deal there because of the lack of resources to combat this kind of weather in terms of the roads and everything, it's just weird to hear is all. Once again, hopefully everyone stays safe.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Trust me, if this was where I grew up or even went to college I would have little to no problem getting to the game. Things are just flat out stuck here right now because, as you said, lack of resources to properly handle a situation like this. Should be a fun one tonight either way, and to the 5K that do show up, make a ton of noise.

Just disappointing that my first chance to see the Hawks since the lockout and my first ever chance to see Kane and Toews in person is iced in.

Old
01-30-2010, 03:37 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

I thought about the CAT bus too but getting home from the game is very risky. Its hard to catch a bus heading out.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:38 PM
WalkerBabe

I wonder if both teams will start out tired from having to SKATE to the RBC Center (due to the usual condition of our roads during a storm like this one.)

LET'S GO, 'CANES!!!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Let the "relocate/contract/nuke the Canes" thread on the Business of Hockey (aka: bitter idiots *****ing about Balsillie not having a team) board commence.

Yep...just waiting...first will be the OMG..only 5000 attendance on a Saturday when the best team in the NHL is in town.

Someone will counter that it is because of the weather.

Then will come "don't blame the weather...the Canes are only averaging 14-15K and are 25th in the league...followed by : "us true hockey fans up north don't let a little snow get in the way of going to a game....jeez..this is why southern cities don't deserve a team"..etc...etc..

Should be a fun read. The best approach is to just laugh it off and not try to get caught up in it.

I just drove near my home (Southern Wake). I have AWD and the roads aren't great. With good tires, you can get around, but you have to keep your speed down and be smart about how you drive.

I have tickets and will be driving over the the RBC for the game tonight. I've been looking forward to seeing the Hawks for a while.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2626
Quote:
The irony, on their last game of a long road trip when all they're gonna wanna do after the game is get home. Hopefully they take that frustration out on you guys tonight.

This isn't a knock, by the way, just an amusing but totally understandable observation, but it's always funny to hear the reactions in normally mild climates when they get weather like you guys are getting. Where I'm from what you guys are getting is just another typical winter day and wouldn't keep anyone from going to the United Center for a Blackhawks game or from hanging out outside to tailgate before the Bears game. I know it's a big deal there because of the lack of resources to combat this kind of weather in terms of the roads and everything, it's just weird to hear is all. Once again, hopefully everyone stays safe.
My biggest fear driving on these roads are the morons that don't know that they shouldn't be going 70 even if it is the speed limit. That said, my friend is driving from Greenville to the game and on 264 hasn't hit 35 MPH yet! A true die hard fan, although a stupid one!

This is another one of those games I can't be disappointed in. The Hawks are one of my favorite teams so giving them the points would be just fine. On the other hand, it would be nice to win at home and keep the warm and fuzzy feelings going...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

My cousin and I just copped 4 lower level seats for free. We both live off of trinity (Medfield area) and will sneak in the back way...It will be my kids first hockey game and we'll be pulling hard for the Canes!

I Love TFH! (Totally Free Hockey)

You all may want to put your ladies in lockdown after the game. :-) (Although I'm not sure the girls who the Blackhawks pursue could be called ladies)

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 04:59 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

People who drive 30MPH with a dusting of snow on the ground are equally as annoying (and I say this living 3 hours away not knowing what the conditions are in Raleigh at the moment).

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 05:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
People who drive 30MPH with a dusting of snow on the ground are equally as annoying (and I say this living 3 hours away not knowing what the conditions are in Raleigh at the moment).
Ice if it's anything like Durham, which I'm betting it is.

Old
01-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Denzil
NOLU

No excuse for any small attendances... maybe if management wants the prospects nearer home, the Canes can move to Schenectady instead of the Rats to Charlotte

Denzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
caniac247

Quote:

When I first moved here, 15 years ago from Ohio, we used to laugh. But what we get here is so not like up north. Also lived in Philly. The problem is that we don't have enough plows, so the streets don't get plowed. Then you have people driving on non-plowed roads, which then turns into a sheet of ice.

All we have to do is strap on some skates grab some pucks and sticks and we can have our own hockey game outside our front door. Its nothing but a big slab of ice.

Snow is fine to drive on and hell yeah I would be at the game. Ice is a totally different story. First game I've missed since 2003.

ETA: watching the news and little Katherine Fritsche in in the hospital due to a sledding accident. She was going down a hill and veered to miss a call that pulled out and hit a fire hydrant. She's got cuts/brusies on her head and they are keeping her in the hospital for tests. Needless to say, she won't be singing tonight.

Last edited by caniac247: 01-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.
caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Old
01-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Caniac4ever
Gleason 4 Norris

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
When I first moved here, 15 years ago from Ohio, we used to laugh. But what we get here is so not like up north. Also lived in Philly. The problem is that we don't have enough plows, so the streets don't get plowed. Then you have people driving on non-plowed roads, which then turns into a sheet of ice.

All we have to do is strap on some skates grab some pucks and sticks and we can have our own hockey game outside our front door. Its nothing but a big slab of ice.

Snow is fine to drive on and hell yeah I would be at the game. Ice is a totally different story. First game I've missed since 2003.

ETA: watching the news and little Katherine Fritsche in in the hospital due to a sledding accident. She was going down a hill and veered to miss a call that pulled out and hit a fire hydrant. She's got cuts/brusies on her head and they are keeping her in the hospital for tests. Needless to say, she won't be singing tonight.

You can't be too careful to miss those calls!

JK, that sucks for her. I sure hope she's ok and back singing for us soon! Also congrats on your ironman(woman) streak on games made! I'm sorry it had to end tonight!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:17 PM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

The best Aaron Ward can do is not good enough.

And LOL as I speak he turns it over AGAIN

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote