HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Season is over

Old
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy View Post
i just cannot understand what planet martin is on. we battled hard for 60 minutes? bergeron on with maxwell and gill in OT? no even strength goal for 3+ games??
THe man has lost it...honestly I have no words for the decisions this guy makes?

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:43 PM
scottyG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
The number of idiots here wanting to trade Markov is unbelievable. HF boards became lately a gathering for all internet clowns.
It doesn't matter how stupid a GM might be, no one would trade a player like Markov.
Who you calling an idiot?
Just because we don't agree with you now mean's where idiots?

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:46 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Lefley View Post
I truly can't believe the level of hysteria that has gripped this board.

The season is over
Lets tank the season
Markov and Price argued
Price has a bad attitude
Bob Gainey this Bob Gainey that

Here are some suggestions for the many "Chicken Littles" out there:
1. Take a deep breath
2. Take something to calm yourself down.
3. Look at the calendar and reminder yourself it is still JANUARY
4. Wait and see what the severity of Cammalleri's injury is
5. Note the logjam of playoff bubble teams and realize that any of 5-6 teams could be in 6th place one day and 12th two days later.
6. Expect that it will remain very tight in the standings from here until the end of the year.
7. Understand that the coach and GM will continue to put the best lineup they can together, with no intention of losing games...i know I know it is pretty shocking
8. Remind yourself that this is the Montreal Canadiens, winners of 24 Stanley Cups and the team with the richest tradition in all of hockey. It is also not the situation in Haiti or Afghanistan. Its hockey, pure and simple.

I hope you can all find a way to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheers.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
MathMan

The Habs did battle hard for 60 minutes. The problem tonight was not effort.

Execution, OTOH, was atrocious, but it was a new system they aren't familiar with. (Or it looked that way.)

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Lefley View Post
I truly can't believe the level of hysteria that has gripped this board.

The season is over
Lets tank the season
Markov and Price argued
Price has a bad attitude
Bob Gainey this Bob Gainey that

Here are some suggestions for the many "Chicken Littles" out there:
1. Take a deep breath
2. Take something to calm yourself down.
3. Look at the calendar and reminder yourself it is still JANUARY
4. Wait and see what the severity of Cammalleri's injury is
5. Note the logjam of playoff bubble teams and realize that any of 5-6 teams could be in 6th place one day and 12th two days later.
6. Expect that it will remain very tight in the standings from here until the end of the year.
7. Understand that the coach and GM will continue to put the best lineup they can together, with no intention of losing games...i know I know it is pretty shocking
8. Remind yourself that this is the Montreal Canadiens, winners of 24 Stanley Cups and the team with the richest tradition in all of hockey. It is also not the situation in Haiti or Afghanistan. Its hockey, pure and simple.

I hope you can all find a way to enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cheers.
This is the part that really bothers me. this once not only proud but revered franchise has shrunk to the point where they hope to be a bottom feeder of the playoff teams. its been like this for so long now that the history of this franchise is all but forgotten by many.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Thorn

good thing i have my tin foil hat.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:57 PM
number 11

lol @ people suggesting to trade markov. even in a rebuild you don't give up a top 3 defenceman in the league, who the hell would help develop young d-men ? it wouldn't be worth any amount of high draft picks we could get.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Call me back when we win the stanley cup.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 06:58 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
The number of idiots here wanting to trade Markov is unbelievable. HF boards became lately a gathering for all internet clowns.
It doesn't matter how stupid a GM might be, no one would trade a player like Markov.
I agree with this.

markov` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Lawl @ trading Markov....

without Markov...**** without Markov I think we start to enter in a New York Knicks franchise mode.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Well said:

I am a HUGE fan of the Habs, but I feel relaxed. I attribute the situation to the many longerm injuries and the weak bottom 6.

Who could have know this?

Life goes on, Hab fans

To me the Montreal Canadiens are still the only team that really matters in the NHL

Glory is cyclical

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:12 PM
habtastic

Cammy....

that is all

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:14 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Habs did battle hard for 60 minutes. The problem tonight was not effort.

Execution, OTOH, was atrocious, but it was a new system they aren't familiar with. (Or it looked that way.)
I think the biggest problem like the broadcasters(Carbo,Galley.) kept referring to was 5on5 goal scoring. Our pp is great and our pk is good, we are just too small to create time and space. Poulliot is doing so well here because of his size and ability to win battles in front of the net, if we had another bigger forward to play on the second line, then we would be hard to beat.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I think the biggest problem like the broadcasters(Carbo,Galley.) kept referring to was 5on5 goal scoring.
That doesn't take any great analytical skill. Habs are dead last in the league (and the guy who accounted for 20% of that just got hurt).

Quote:
Our pp is great and our pk is good, we are just too small to create time and space.
I don't think, however, that the problem is primarily one of size. The team's two best 5-on-5 goal-scorers, after all, are Cammalleri and Plekanec, and Gionta is up there when you consider all the missed icetime. The guys who DO have size and grit, the bottom 6, don't produce at all.

Usually, the problem is simple lack of aggressiveness. Their system does not generate attack and chances for, so only the guy with the most talent ever put up 5-on-5 points because they get the most of their opportunities.

Like I said, though, different gameplan tonight, but it was obvious they were very unused to it. Tonight the problem was a problem of synchronism and execution. The Sens torched the Habs in the offensive zone and it wasn't size, it was way better execution.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:24 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Gill is absolute garbage, he is so slow it forces him to take penalties. Unreal how sub par this teams defense really is, it is totally immobile and just unable to make decent passes. We were dominated this entire game because our defense is too slow and can't hit worth a damn.
I couldn't agree more.

He forgot to cover Kovalev on the first goal or he just couldn't get there in time.

At one point he had an easy chance to clear the zone but took so long to make his pass that his stick was lifted and he lost the puck. The Sens continued to pressure our tired players and Gill ended up taking a penalty that led to the Sens second goal

He skates slowly, reacts slowly and is a total liability.

But can you believe it. Martin had him on the ice in OT... the slowest skater in the league in a 4 on 4 situation. Of course Gill wound up taking yet another penalty.

Martin AND Gill should be gone... with Gainey on a short leash.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Sorry but if ever Cammy is seriously injured (what seem been the case), the season is over.. We already have enough of trouble to be the puck possession type of team Gainey and Martin were seeing, losing Cammalleri for more than 3 weeks would be a desaster.. With a solid bunch of defensemen we could survive that stretch, but its unfortunately not the case, we have too many bottom pairing D-Men quality, not mobile enough, not skilled enough..

I think Subban will become great for us but we still have to find a way to get better at this position..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
thetrueblack

Quote:
I think the biggest problem like the broadcasters(Carbo,Galley.) kept referring to was 5on5 goal scoring. Our pp is great and our pk is good, we are just too small to create time and space. Poulliot is doing so well here because of his size and ability to win battles in front of the net, if we had another bigger forward to play on the second line, then we would be hard to beat.
This x infinity.

I've been wondering ever since the team started to change up in the summer when we'd go get someone for the role. Lats couldn't cut it, Patches couldn't cut it. Gomez & Gionta stuck in a funk until Pouliot shows up (not entirely true for Gionta, but I digress). We absolutely need a crushing winger. It is up to the scouting department to find a guy we could gamble on.

We need other things as well: better lower-6 guys; a replacement for Mara, probably Spacek; playing Gill in a limited role and not with MAB or a rookie; a system which plays to our strengths, not our glaring weaknesses of size, battling along the boards (JM believes he is still coaching the Panthers); but get the top 6 sorted.

We have 2 excellent young goalies: go with one, trade the other + Skost and maybe Akost, and take a flyer on someone who doesn't maybe have the numbers but someone who can fill the role.

And I'd like to see another brute on the lower 6 (I include Moen in this category), our sense of protection / retribution is non-existent.

thetrueblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I was at work today...
Get a text
"Mike Cammalleri just pulled a Robert Lang..."
My reply
"Taylor Hall will look sexy in Montreal"

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:05 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Sucks to lose Cammalleri but we'll draft at least four or fifth overall!

Everyone, hop on the tankwagon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrueblack
We have 2 excellent young goalies: go with one, trade the other + Skost and maybe Akost, and take a flyer on someone who doesn't maybe have the numbers but someone who can fill the role.
The big player we need on the top6 right now IS Andrei Kostitsyn! Why trade him?

The core of this team isn't bad, it only needs some tweaking on defense and a more complete and productive supporting staff on the 3rd and 4th lines. Tanking and getting a future star should go a long way helping that depending on who we draft. We need hitters on the bottom two lines, right now there is only Moen and Lapierre to an extent. To make things worse, nobody on these lines is producing...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Sucks to lose Cammalleri but we'll draft at least four or fifth overall!

Everyone, hop on the tankwagon!

We'll draft another very promising prospect but people here won't like his attitude

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:11 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
We'll draft another very promising prospect but people here won't like his attitude
I wouldn't use the sarcasm smilie, you're probably right!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Everyone chill out.

Pouliot is gonna fix everything.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
Players on this team are afraid of making mistakes, that they don't take anymore chances. Both our goalies are getting messed up right now, with Martin playing musical chairs. Our young prospects don't have enough ice time to prove themselves. In the game against the Devils, Lemaire wasn't afraid of putting his rookies on the PP. In MTL, such a thing would never happen. Jacques Martin is seriously worrying me. His system ( if it exists) has killed our offensive abilities. His system was built for the wrong players. But, for me, the worst part of this whole thing is the fact that our players cannot make a mistake, and learn from it. Gomez makes a mistake, and he is stuck on the 4 th line. Pouliot fumbles, and he gets benched. I mean, I rather them be on the ice, than overplaying Gill and Bergeron. Did Gomez even play in OT? I don't know how this team's problems are so evident to the public, but the one person that matters cannot see it.
You bash Martin's handling of young players, you praise Lemaire's handling of young players, you also refer to Pouliot in the same paragraph.

Who has Pouliot played his best hockey under? Lemaire or Martin?

Good night!

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:26 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I wouldn't use the sarcasm smilie, you're probably right!
I'm not sure I like your attitude there, son!

If I was a mod, I would send you over to another board

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
E = CH²

I told everyone that Markov probably would not be back at 100% this season. This is what happens when a player misses a significant portion of the start of the season.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote