HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thrashers GM Waddell at Flyers game

Old
01-31-2010, 10:43 PM
mm6492

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Afino is on his way.

Afino - Carter - Briere?
The least physical line in the history of hockey.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:51 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I understand that having a physical element to a game intimidates the opposition and causes forced and unforced turnovers. However, last I checked, the winner of a hockey game is the team with the most GOALS, not the most HITS. Defenders would have a whole lot of trouble trying to catch Max and the magical hands of Danny would cause defenders to lose their contain and gap on the rush. If a team wants to run out of position to make a booming hit, only to make a 3-on-1 feasable, best of luck trying to get back into a game while killing off penalties. Put out Pronger and Carle with that line, and the defensive short comings are drastically decreased. Hindsight is great, isn't it?

Granted, physical play is drastically more important in the playoffs than regular season based on the 7 game series.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
Granted, physical play is drastically more important in the playoffs than regular season based on the 7 game series.
Is it really though? If you can win one hockey game with out roughing the other team up, you can win 4. Obviously roughing a team up has a chance to show up over the course of 7 games more than 1. So I can see the value of it, but not the need for it. Detroit went to back to back finals with one/two physical players (Kronwall and maybe Ericsson). Pittsburgh was a little more aggressive but not hugely so.

Also dedhed, if you think an unsigned Kovalchuk gets you Richards and Carter then you're friggin' bananas.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:44 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Hey! Carter's been throwing his weight around lately! Briere all year!

Put Gagne there instead.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You mean the guy we SHOULD have signed in the offseason?
Still dont get the fascination with him....never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhed View Post
Please tell me you're just joking here. Gagne is an injury prone older player that no team would give up a talented player to receive his services. The best the Flyers could get for Gagne is possible a 2nd round draft pick.

Kovalchuk's price would be a player like Richards, or Carter (or both). Do you really think Holmgren's gonna do that? Nyet!
First off, Gagne is not old....And I would call him injury prone either. He has had, what, 2-3 season with injuries in his career? Injury prone in my mind is someone like Lindros who missed at least 20 games basically every season!

As for Kovalchuk, I might be in the minority but I dont want him here. We have already seen what changing the lineup over and over again does, this team has been struggling with chemistry issues all season....This also means Carter is going the other way in my opinion, probably one of JVR/Giroux!

You then have to make more moves in the offseason (Hartnell, Gagne, Briere) to afford a goalie.

Enough of the big changes....This team was on the right path a couple years ago and now its just major changes every year, never going to win anything doing that.

Who I wouldnt mind getting from Atlanta is Armstrong if they decide to move him....I think he would look great next to Gagne/Richards.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:00 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
do not want Armstrong. He is awful.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
do not want Armstrong. He is awful.
He is what he is, a decent two way, physical winger that can pop in 20 goals.....hardly awful....I am guessing you were one of the guys that thought Upshall was awful as well???

I just think he would be the perfect complement on that line. Not like I care one way or the other if he comes here.

Old
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Afino sucks. As soon as he has a contract in hand he'll revert back to his lazy, worthless self.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:06 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Don't we have a bunch of high-priced players locked up for many years with no-trade clauses attached already? Why would the Flyers need another such as Kovi? The price for him is way too high...he's looking for a 10 year/85 million dollar salary, that's nuts!

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:14 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Afino sucks. As soon as he has a contract in hand he'll revert back to his lazy, worthless self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Don't we have a bunch of high-priced players locked up for many years with no-trade clauses attached already? Why would the Flyers need another such as Kovi? The price for him is way too high...he's looking for a 10 year/85 million dollar salary, that's nuts!
Exactly my point in both cases.

Old
02-01-2010, 07:43 PM
captainpaxil

aparently this is bigger than i thought

Quote:
And talks are heating up. As NHL.com's John McGourty reported Saturday from Philadelphia, NHL general managers were stacked up like planes circling the airport to speak with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.

Among the teams in Philadelphia were the Thrashers, Stars, Wild and Lightning

any thoughts on who would be involved with these other teams?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:44 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
I dont want anything from the Stars, Especially Marty "I suck balls" Turco.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
He is what he is, a decent two way, physical winger that can pop in 20 goals.....hardly awful....I am guessing you were one of the guys that thought Upshall was awful as well???

I just think he would be the perfect complement on that line. Not like I care one way or the other if he comes here.
Not at all. . . I loved Upshall. Armstrong is just a ***** who was only ever good playing with Crosby. He cheapshots everyone and never fights when people come after him. He is a poor man's Sean Avery.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 272
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...348&feedID=695

Quote:
One NHL executive said that the Flyers have had intermittent talks with Atlanta over Kovalchuk.

Atlanta General manager Don Waddell met with Holmgren at last week’s game and discussed matters. Waddell scouted the Flyers himself on Saturday during the Isles game but did not meet with Holmgren, the source said.

"Find one winger, one defenseman that adds up to what Kovalchuk makes and the Flyers could do this deal," the source said.

The Flyers think Kovalchuk will want between $9 and $9.5 million on a re-signing and because of that salary, they couldn’t afford Kovalchuk long-term.

The Rangers, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles and the Flyers are in the mix, but the source said the Flyers don’t think they can make a Kovalchuk deal any more than they could have done a deal for Phaneuf.

The source repeated nothing was imminent, but that the Flyers are willing to hear everything Waddell has to say.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:22 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I dont want anything from the Stars, Especially Marty "I suck balls" Turco.
Loui Eriksson wouldn't be bad.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:17 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Loui Eriksson wouldn't be bad.
...James Neal...Matt Niskanen...Mark Fistric

Oh and Derian Hatcher 10 years ago

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
bdemz

Kovy Deal Conversation

Here is how I hope the Kovy deal conversation went....

Homer : "What do you want for Kovy"
Wadell : "JVR, Giroux and Carter/Hartnell"
Homer : "Go ******* yourself"

Really guys, great players in FA year only cost 1 roster player, 1 prospect and 1 1st round pick.

Since the Flyers have no 1st round picks, I don't know how this gets done.

I might trade 1 of Carter, JVR or Giroux for this guy only if he signed for 10 years.

bdemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Morinisbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
aparently this is bigger than i thought

And talks are heating up. As NHL.com's John McGourty reported Saturday from Philadelphia, NHL general managers were stacked up like planes circling the airport to speak with Flyers GM Paul Holmgren.

Among the teams in Philadelphia were the Thrashers, Stars, Wild and Lightning

any thoughts on who would be involved with these other teams?
Interesting. Where did this come from?

Maybe Tanguay, Downie, Kovy, Nolan, Brunette, Johnson, Hnidy, Lehtinen, Brunnstrom, Ott?????????

All guesses. I wouldn't be upset if we went after any of those guys...depending on what it would cost, of course.

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieHexBergEry View Post

Maybe Tanguay, Downie, Kovy, Nolan, Brunette, Johnson, Hnidy, Lehtinen, Brunnstrom, Ott?????????

All guesses. I wouldn't be upset if we went after any of those guys...depending on what it would cost, of course.
Not trying to mean, but what are we going to do with ANY of those guys, and who would we trade for them?

Assuming the 4th line are keepers, our top 9 is:

Gagne NTC-Richards 12yrs-Hartnell NTC
Powe-Carter-Briere NMC
JVR-Giroux-Asham

The only two of those players who you could consider trading are Asham and Powe. Powe is valuable because he's versatile, fast and hits a lot. Asham's playing well right now and is a good fit for that line.

Who do you think you could get for Asham? Powe? Syvret? Boucher?

That's really all we have to trade, in which case we're better off standing pat and having guys like Pyorala, Nodl and Legein as call ups in various roles.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Not at all. . . I loved Upshall. Armstrong is just a ***** who was only ever good playing with Crosby. He cheapshots everyone and never fights when people come after him. He is a poor man's Sean Avery.
He had 22 goals last year on Atlanta of all teams, a career high....Saying he was only good with Crosby is a joke. I wont question the cheap shots/never fighting....but the guy is hardly awful....He is always a + player (other then 11 games with Atlanta after the trade)

He is basically Upshall (without the speed) a gritty 3rd/2nd liner. I would prefer Upshall in a hearbeat though.

Old
02-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Morinisbear

People waive those all the time. Hartnell, Coburn, and Carle could also be moved....any of them for that matter (Briere, Gagne). I was just throwing names out there that could be involved. I have no clue and I'm not starting any rumors...just trying to guess at what players they could be talking about....

You just never know. Look at what happened over the past couple days. I sure as heck didnt see those deals coming!

Morinisbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

I wouldnt mind Nolan or Lehtinen as rentals for the playoffs....as long as we dont give up much.

Old
02-02-2010, 02:50 PM
FlyersRKings

Quote:
People waive those all the time. Hartnell, Coburn, and Carle could also be moved....any of them for that matter (Briere, Gagne). I was just throwing names out there that could be involved. I have no clue and I'm not starting any rumors...just trying to guess at what players they could be talking about....

You just never know. Look at what happened over the past couple days. I sure as heck didnt see those deals coming!
Hartnell, Coburn, and Carter for Kovalchuk. Ah, just a dream of mine.

FlyersRKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:55 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersRKings View Post
Hartnell, Coburn, and Carter for Kovalchuk. Ah, just a dream of mine.

please god no

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:29 PM
tuckrr

Atlanta already offered kovy for carter + giroux
Snider said no, he thinks giroux is going to be sensational ( i agree with him there)

but this is where we stand, would you make that deal? do you think we can possibly get giroux out of there and add someone else? if so i'd do it.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote