HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved to Rags for 2nd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Big T

vCash: 500
Nedved Traded to Rags for 2nd Round Pick

I hate to make titles like this up, but I couldn't resist.

No, Nedved hasn't been traded back to the Rags (YET) but if Lowe has trouble signing him, do you think it's possible that Lowe would trade Nedved back to NYR for a conditional 2nd round pick ala Leetch last summer.

All this does it it makes Nedved slightly less desirable for any team that might sign him via free agency because the team that signs him would have to give the Oil their 2nd rounder.

Thoughts

T

Old
04-22-2004, 05:29 PM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
He will not be traded back to the Rags. I will make a bet with anyone.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T

No, Nedved hasn't been traded back to the Rags (YET) but if Lowe has trouble signing him, do you think it's possible that Lowe would trade Nedved back to NYR for a conditional 2nd round pick ala Leetch last summer.

All this does it it makes Nedved slightly less desirable for any team that might sign him via free agency because the team that signs him would have to give the Oil their 2nd rounder.

Thoughts

T
I believe you are mistaken.. the conditional second rounder (it would actually probably be a third because Nedved's contract will be less - I think at least) comes from the league, not the team who signs him.

Old
04-22-2004, 05:44 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
question:

If the Oilers decline the option on Nedved, to they get a comp pick for him if someone else signs him?

Old
04-22-2004, 05:50 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
question:

If the Oilers decline the option on Nedved, to they get a comp pick for him if someone else signs him?
No, but I think they have the option to match any offer another team makes (or maybe that option is just for RFAs)

Old
04-22-2004, 05:53 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
No, but I think they have the option to match any offer another team makes (or maybe that option is just for RFAs)
I think it's the opposite... no right to match, but a compensatory pick. Mind you, I'm just talking out of my ass.

Old
04-22-2004, 06:01 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
I guess that makes two of us, slick.

Old
04-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Brynster

Nedved

If they do not qualify him, he becomes an UFA. Oil get dick. That's the chance they took dipping into this pool. But certainly worth taking the risk for a guy who helped them down the stretch don't you think? Especially since they basically got him for nothing. Who's gives a crap about a draft pick when the League's future is in the balance anyway?

Old
04-22-2004, 06:04 PM
mudcrutch79

For some reason, I always thought that the compensatory picks only arose if the team was at a certain level in terms of budget-that would explain why a team like NYR would do the Leetch trade, getting less than the compensatory pick in the first place. If there is a compensatory pick attached to Nedved, why don't we just get it ourselves?

Old
04-22-2004, 06:14 PM
oilers24

oilers would get compension

Old
04-22-2004, 06:27 PM
HarryStrand

Teams like the Rangers with big payrolls trade away pending UFA's (Group V, I believe), because the formula used by the NHL compensates only teams with lower payrolls that lose UFA's in this category. That is why guys like Curtis Joseph get traded to Calgary from Toronto, Tie Domi from Toronto to Nashville, Theo Fleury from NYR to San Jose, and Mike Richter and Brian Leetch to Edmonton on June 30. Rich teams would not get any compensation because they can afford to sign other UFA's to replace their departing UFA's. The "poor" teams lose the UFA's on July 1, even though they really were never on the team's roster except for a few hours at the end of June.

I'm not sure who figured out this little loophole (might have been Sather, Lowe, Craig Button, Pat Quinn).

At any rate, Nedved, assuming the Oilers don't pick up his option, would fall in the same category of UFA as Steve Kariya did last year - no compensation.

(I'm not sure if the signing of Adam Oates has any impact on the position of the draft pick the Oilers will be using as compensation for losing Brian Leetch last summer. As far as I know, the exact formula used by the NHL is quite secretive and not publicly available).

I'm not sure if there will be a burst of trades of pending UFA's on June 30 this year. There are just so many pending UFA's and RFA's in all categories that it might be almost impossible to do these types of deals.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:34 PM
BlacktapeLeftside
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T

Thoughts
T
Although I would rather keep him for $4 (espec. of his chemistry with Dvorak)
I for one felt those antennas go up when Nedved was signed. No I would not be surprised at all to see him back as a Rangers (the under the table - old boys school conditional deal - so Slats could jump into the top 5 race) upon realizing they weren't going to make the playoffs.
If he returns to the New York , maybe Slats patience has run out on Jamie Lundmark

Closed Thread