HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

W Ty Rattie (2011, 32nd overall, St. Louis)

Old
11-11-2010, 03:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
IMO both Nino and Johansen will be better. Rattie has top 6 potential, but will likely be a second line player where the others will both be top line potential for their respected teams.
And yet he's scoring at a 1.58 pace compared to 1.13 and 1.17 for RyJo and Nino. Last year, those two put up .97 and .92. Numbers aren't everything, but its worth mentioning.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 07:36 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Have only watched one Portland game this year and to tell you the truth I was expecting more outta Niederreiter. He didn't look bad but I thought he was good enough to play with the men so he'd dominate the kids. Maybe it was just the one game, idk. Johansen and Rattie looked really good though.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Any Dub fans that can shed some light on how the three play, style-wise?

Old
11-12-2010, 03:34 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Can't wait to see them all live tonight!

Especially Johansen and Rattie.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
And yet he's scoring at a 1.58 pace compared to 1.13 and 1.17 for RyJo and Nino. Last year, those two put up .97 and .92. Numbers aren't everything, but its worth mentioning.
fwiw, they are both better two-way players apparently. I don't watch the WHL.

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2010, 11:18 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Any Dub fans that can shed some light on how the three play, style-wise?
I have seen all 3 of them once live and a couple games on tv (only once total for Rattie so I won't comment on him)

Johansen is a big centre, good skater, basically does everything fairly well...lots of scouts love him because his learning curve has been very steep and he shot up the rankings before the draft...lots of scouts see A TON of potential in him and think he could maybe be a Thornton-lite (at least I have seen this comparison, though not sure I agree...tough to find exact matches)...but really, what is not to love? A big potential #1C that can skate, pass, and score? Boooooo

Nino is a more prototypical powef forward...has good hands and speed for a big kid, loves to play physical, and imo is the best 2-way player of the 3 in question...he drives the net hard, has a good shot, and can dominate down low at times...I think he has the best chance to be a solid NHLer and has less risk than Rattie because even if his scoring doesn't translate to the NHL (i.e. only ends up a 20 goal guy instead of 30+) he will still be VERY effective in a defensive role with his physical play and potential shutdown ability

Rattie, I don't really know enough, so I would just be rehearsing what I have read about him from scouting rankings, etc.

Hopefully Renegade can update us on how all 3 played tonight and give us more insight on Rattie as well...I am hoping to see them all once more this year live too so I will update you guys when I see them again

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:35 AM
puckfan13

Johansen looks to me like he's somewhere between Derick Brassard and Jason Spezza, doubt he'll ever reach those Joe Thornton/franchise centre ceilings some have pegged for him.

Nino to me is pretty much Brendan Morrow's clone. He has some serious infectious enthusiasm and a great attitude that will bring him far. Can't see him not getting a letter eventually once he gets up to the bigs for good.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 03:18 AM
torero

How does Bartschi compare to these 3 ??

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:59 AM
Handlanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
How does Bartschi compare to these 3 ??
Bärtschy is performing fantastically.

He has to problems though:

1) His size (does not have to mean anything, St. Louis is small too)
2) He mainly scores with his insane wrist shot... and that will be much much MUCH more difficult at NHL level (see Jeff Tambellini as an example).

Handlanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Schenn Him

I saw Rattie and the Winterhawks (great name for a band) play the Pats a couple days ago. He's a good player, but not yet at the level of his teammates. Johansen is a big guy, and a great skater, and Nino is like a bull in a china shop. Every faceoff Nino lined up for started off with him crosschecking his counterpart as soon as the puck was dropped.

With a big line like the Winterhawks have, its easy for Rattie to get overlooked. He's a little smaller, and a little quicker than the big guys. He's a good player, but somewhat of a tweener as of right now. Its hard to tell because he doesn't get a lot of the prime minutes on the team.

Also, if anyone can tell me why he often lines up for a faceoff like this, I'd love to hear it:

Ty Rattie by leafschik1967, on Flickr

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Ovechkinstunebete

i'd like to know why he's not on the level of johanssen and nino

he has 32 points in 20 games and Bartschi has 29 points while johansen has 18 points in 17 games and nino has 4 points in 7 games

i know points are not all but 32 points in 20 games is pretty great

while 4 in 7 is not worth mentioning for a 1st round pick?

Ovechkinstunebete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Had a chance to see the Hawks last night.

Really liked what I saw from Rattie.

- Not the biggest guy, but very quick with a great first step, solid hands and a deceptive wrister. He's also a very very good playmaker, might be one of the best passers in this draft class.

- Bartschi (pronounced Bear-she) actually reminds me alot of his Swiss counterpart in Niederreiter. He plays like a bull in a china shop and isn't afraid to be aggressive and play physical. He isn't that big, but his style really makes up for it. He has a great shot and nose for the net. Very solid skater too with nice top end speed and quickness. I could see him being someone who definitely excels at the next level and rises for the draft throughout the year.

- It was my first time seeing Johansen live and came away pretty impressed. He's a big body who skates like the wind. Very strong on his stick with a quick shot. I didn't see him use his passing skills that I know are very top end, so that was kind of disappointing. Overall I still compare him to a guy like Jason Spezza more than anyone. Johansen won't likely turn out that good, but even if he comes close Nash will have a great playmaker in Columbus. I could see Johansen making the Jackets next season.

- Nino wasn't that impressive, but he does play with an edge that I love. He laid several big hits, but didn't really generate anything offensively for Portland (only 4 points in 7 games now). He does a good job of playing on the "edge". At one point Ryan Olsen of the Blades was hit from behind and fell to the ice, and Nino jumped on top of him for no apparent reason and cross checked him. It was quite dirty, but just goes to show what type of game Nino goes out to play.

- Brad Ross got tossed for coming off the bench to join a line brawl that happened after the Olsen-Nino incident, so I didn't really get to see much of him.

Old
11-13-2010, 04:12 PM
ponder

Rattie is certainly tearing it up statistically, 2nd in the WHL in scoring (32 points in 20 games, 12 of them goals) at just 17 years old, scoring in juniors obviously is not everything, but point up points at an elite level while young is always a good sign.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

WHL is a tough league to put up huge point totals in, as well. If it were the Ontario league or the Q, his stats would be easier to write off.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Had a chance to see the Hawks last night.

Really liked what I saw from Rattie.

- Not the biggest guy, but very quick with a great first step, solid hands and a deceptive wrister. He's also a very very good playmaker, might be one of the best passers in this draft class.

- Bartschi (pronounced Bear-she) actually reminds me alot of his Swiss counterpart in Niederreiter. He plays like a bull in a china shop and isn't afraid to be aggressive and play physical. He isn't that big, but his style really makes up for it. He has a great shot and nose for the net. Very solid skater too with nice top end speed and quickness. I could see him being someone who definitely excels at the next level and rises for the draft throughout the year.

- It was my first time seeing Johansen live and came away pretty impressed. He's a big body who skates like the wind. Very strong on his stick with a quick shot. I didn't see him use his passing skills that I know are very top end, so that was kind of disappointing. Overall I still compare him to a guy like Jason Spezza more than anyone. Johansen won't likely turn out that good, but even if he comes close Nash will have a great playmaker in Columbus. I could see Johansen making the Jackets next season.

- Nino wasn't that impressive, but he does play with an edge that I love. He laid several big hits, but didn't really generate anything offensively for Portland (only 4 points in 7 games now). He does a good job of playing on the "edge". At one point Ryan Olsen of the Blades was hit from behind and fell to the ice, and Nino jumped on top of him for no apparent reason and cross checked him. It was quite dirty, but just goes to show what type of game Nino goes out to play.

- Brad Ross got tossed for coming off the bench to join a line brawl that happened after the Olsen-Nino incident, so I didn't really get to see much of him.
What did you think of Curtis Hamilton last night? I wouldn't mind getting an opinion from someone who sees him regularly and knows his game...obviously his stat line is great so far this year (27pts in 20gp, +18)...and I know he brings some things that are not visible ob the statsheet

Is there someone on his line that drives the offense that he feeds off of? Or is he the player the makes things happen for his line?

I am really hoping he can find a 3rd/4th line role for team Canada at the WJC so I can get a few more viewings of him

Old
11-13-2010, 05:28 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
I saw the game on Shaw last night, and I had no idea that Niederreiter was like that. It was actually two cross checks he gave the guy, around the back of the neck when he was down. It was so dirty, he got tossed around like a rag doll afterwards before someone had to be the third man in to save him.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
What did you think of Curtis Hamilton last night? I wouldn't mind getting an opinion from someone who sees him regularly and knows his game...obviously his stat line is great so far this year (27pts in 20gp, +18)...and I know he brings some things that are not visible ob the statsheet

Is there someone on his line that drives the offense that he feeds off of? Or is he the player the makes things happen for his line?

I am really hoping he can find a 3rd/4th line role for team Canada at the WJC so I can get a few more viewings of him
He won't make team Canada, but he is truly a great prospect.

His game has come leaps and bounds from an injury plagued year last year.

He is a big guy, but has blazing speed. His skating style is a little awkward but he gets the job done.

He isn't overly physical but can use his body to shield off defenders very well. He is the best playmaker on the team and sometimes seems to have eyes in the back of his head. But, he is also a great goal scorer. A good nose for the net with an ok shot.

He is also a good two way player, playing the penalty kill as well as the powerplay.

Lots of his points have come from the amazing chemistry with his linemates Marek Viedensky (C, SJ) and Josh Nicholls (RW, Tor). They are super fun to watch and seem to take over games whenever they want to. They are also just dirty on the man advantage.

I think at the NHL level he would likely top out as a 2nd line LWer. He reminds me alot of Andrew Brunette.

Old
11-13-2010, 05:58 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He won't make team Canada, but he is truly a great prospect.

His game has come leaps and bounds from an injury plagued year last year.

He is a big guy, but has blazing speed. His skating style is a little awkward but he gets the job done.

He isn't overly physical but can use his body to shield off defenders very well. He is the best playmaker on the team and sometimes seems to have eyes in the back of his head. But, he is also a great goal scorer. A good nose for the net with an ok shot.

He is also a good two way player, playing the penalty kill as well as the powerplay.

Lots of his points have come from the amazing chemistry with his linemates Marek Viedensky (C, SJ) and Josh Nicholls (RW, Tor). They are super fun to watch and seem to take over games whenever they want to. They are also just dirty on the man advantage.

I think at the NHL level he would likely top out as a 2nd line LWer. He reminds me alot of Andrew Brunette.
Thanks, much appreciated.

I thought I read somewhere he was pretty physical, that's why I figured he might get a look on Canada's 4th line if he can be physical and chip in offensively, because Canada tends to love players like that

He didn't look all that physical in camp, so I was kinda confused about what I read...oh well, thanks again

Old
11-13-2010, 06:53 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Like I said, he has the size to be physical but doesn't really look for contact. He doesn't initiate a ton of contact, but can handle it when he comes.

Old
11-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
WHL is a tough league to put up huge point totals in, as well. If it were the Ontario league or the Q, his stats would be easier to write off.
I disagree. You could make an argument for the WHL's current crop of goaltenders being slightly better than that of the OHL, but I'd say that the OHL and WHL are equally tough to put points up in. The QMJHL does seem to boast inflated point totals, but not the OHL.

Can't speak to Rattie's skill, but Johansen's assignment coming out of the Jackets camp was to focus on his 2-way play. As a center who was already drafted and is now focused on rounding out his game, I don't know how easily he can be compared to Rattie. Niederreiter would be a simpler comparison perhaps.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 02:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I would guess the OHL leads the CHL in goals, followed by the Q, and the Dub has the fewest.

Old
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Hawkster58

Quote:
I would guess the OHL leads the CHL in goals, followed by the Q, and the Dub has the fewest.
I thought I would have a look at that, interesting...

I didn't calculate GP, but here is the total of each league as of today's date

QMJHL 1437 total goals divided by 18 teams= 79.83 per team
OHL 1429 total goals divided by 20 teams = 71.45 per team
WHL 1515 total goals divided by 22 teams = 68.86 per team

Closer than I would have thought...

Hawkster58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkster58 View Post
I thought I would have a look at that, interesting...

I didn't calculate GP, but here is the total of each league as of today's date

QMJHL 1437 total goals divided by 18 teams= 79.83 per team
OHL 1429 total goals divided by 20 teams = 71.45 per team
WHL 1515 total goals divided by 22 teams = 68.86 per team

Closer than I would have thought...
Probably better to use a goals/game stat rather than this IMO.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
2G, 2A, 4P, +3 and was the first star tonight

The kid is on fire

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Canadiens93

I've read nothing but good things about Rattie from the guys on this forum that follow the WHL pretty closely. Being ranked that low on the ISS top 30 what are the concerns from scouts about this kids game? Any glaring weaknesses?

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote