HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes @ Stars (01/31/10)

Old
01-31-2010, 11:46 PM
MP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Can someone for the love of god tell me why my Center Ice recording of the game from the Dallas feed was backed out on DirecTV, and the delayed broadcast, on FOX AZ, is the same Dallas feed? Whats the difference? Why couldn't I have had the frickin' live feed?
Here's how I think it works: if there's a broadcast on a local channel at any point in the day, even a tape-delayed rerun crammed into some godforsaken late-night time slot, the game is blacked out on CI. This happened earlier in the year, when I couldn't watch a game live, and the only apparent reason for it was that FS-A was broadcasting the game at 11:30 that same night. I don't know about anyone else but 11:30 is way way way past my bedtime and I couldn't see the game at all and it made me confused and sad and a little grouchy.

So, tonight, the FSN-AZ broadcast was scheduled for 8:30, ergo, CI is contractually obligated to cockblock viewers hoping for a live feed. It isn't inexplicable from a business standpoint, but Jesus Christ CI costs an awful lot for **** like that to happen.

Last edited by MP: 01-31-2010 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Holy ****, you can say "cockblock" on here?
MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:09 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

But I do know of 1 game earlier this year that a delayed game was not blacked out on DirecTV CI. They must have changed that rule. Stupid

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:57 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

I just finished watching the delay feed on FSN.
The third period by Bryz was just incredible.
Hopefully Doan continues this tear because that is the only way this team as currently constructed stands a chance long term. He's scored more goals this month than he did in Nov and Dec combined.

EDIT: Doan made the 3 starts on nhl.com again.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:04 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post
Amazing what can happen when you let the kid actually have some ice time and play with someone who you have proven chemistry with....
Amazing what can happen after scratching the bum and letting him know it's about time he starts moving his ass. Mueller needs to start playing like more than 3 times a season. You really think playing the kid 20 minutes a game since the beginning of the season would have led to a breakthrough??

If anything, Mueller's performance tonight proves that Tippett did the right thing by making him actually earn his ice time.

As for Boedker, I didn't think he looked good at all during those few minutes, and until he figures out how to play with the big boys, I don't want him on the ice much more than what he got tonight.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:05 AM
zz

Bryz was awesome btw.

Old
02-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Amazing what can happen after scratching the bum and letting him know it's about time he starts moving his ass. Mueller needs to start playing like more than 3 times a season. You really think playing the kid 20 minutes a game since the beginning of the season would have led to a breakthrough??

If anything, Mueller's performance tonight proves that Tippett did the right thing by making him actually earn his ice time.

As for Boedker, I didn't think he looked good at all during those few minutes, and until he figures out how to play with the big boys, I don't want him on the ice much more than what he got tonight.
Yes. It certainly wouldnt of slowed it down.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:39 AM

Seems to be the best game for Mueller in the past year at least that I can recall. Question is if they were showcasing him or he showed that jump in practice and they decided to reward him. When you see a performance like that it makes you want to take more patience with Mueller.

Bryz stood on his head in the 3rd period. That's two nights in a row where the Coyotes let the opposition take it to them in the third. Timely goal by Doan for insurance made a big difference. Doan's been playing some of his best hockey of the season in January.

Yandle is another guy that has just been unbelievable lately. I am not sure if he has now reached his previous career high, but this will clearly be a career year for him. It's nice seeing a great young player flourish in Phoenix that was developed by the franchise.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Yandle is another guy that has just been unbelievable lately. I am not sure if he has now reached his previous career high, but this will clearly be a career year for him. It's nice seeing a great young player flourish in Phoenix that was developed by the franchise.
2008-09 NHL 69GP 4G 26A 30P
2009-10 NHL 55GP 9G 18A 27P

Yep.

His 9 goals (along with Jovo and 2 others) is the 4th highest total in the league among defenseman. Speaking of Jovo, a great year from him as well. Without the blue line offense on this team they would be in a world of hurt.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:24 AM
gorsk11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post

Seriously - the all of 4 minutes he played. He had 7 shifts tonight. Not exactly easy for him to do much sitting most of the last two nights. Here is a young kid with speed that can play. He can play with the big boys if given a chance. But Tippett doesn't play him. And I don't expect him to produce anything on so little time.

He scores a goal last night and gets planted on the bench. There were some penalties and PP that contributed last night. Tonight - Korpikoski - 18 shifts - Did he do much tonight vs Dallas??

My biggest problem with Tippet -

1. He doesn't play the young guys.

2. And he runs only 3 lines when he gets the lead. We then barely hold on late...As he has a tired bench. Up 3-0 last night, Boedker played only 7 minutes. NY was all over us in the 3rd period. Same thing tonight.

Why do you think we were outshot 23 - 9 tonight in the 3rd after playing last night.
And it wasn't because of Penalties tonight....Tip sat him most of the second period.

I think Boedker has played well the last 5-6 games he's played up here. But he barely gets a sniff... With Upshall out, I think he could really help us. I don't think Mueller can produce and show effort consistently every night....I feel sorry for Bods as he really hasn't gotten much of a chance.

Anyway - It was a great win tonight. The 1st period was one of the best we played all year. Got up 1-0. Had some chances to get up by 2. We executed passes tape to tape and we smothered DAL.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:46 AM
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsk11 View Post
Tonight - Korpikoski - 18 shifts - Did he do much tonight vs Dallas??
There were a few times Dallas would have had an odd man rush and some Coyote player would come flying out of nowhere on the backcheck to stop the Stars just inside our blueline. It was Korpi. His speed and tenacity have been giving other teams all kinds of problems in every zone.

lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:55 AM
gorsk11

I wasn't bad mouthing Korpi. Just that Boedker has Korpi's speed and twice the hands. I think he can help us offensively with Upshall out.

Korpi is needed less with Winnik and Fiddler healthy.

Here are some numbers:

Korpi, 46 G, Avg 12:27 Ice time/Game, 7 Points, -11
Pyatt, 49 G, Avg 13:10 /Game, 14 Points, +7
Winnik, 49 G, Avg, 13:32 / Game, 17 points, +5
Mueller, 46 G, Avg 12:58 / Game, 16 Points, -4 - With PP Time
Boedker, 12 G, Avg 8:38 / Game, 3 Points, +2

I think Boedker could help - He had 11 G and 17 A last year.

gorsk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:24 AM
MP

According to the official shift chart, four of Boedker's seven shifts came during the first period, when it was only a 1-goal game and the Coyotes were looking for more scoring. He had only three shifts during the second and third, when they were trying to protect the lead.

It looks to me like Tippett doesn't quite trust him yet when the team has to focus on defense. Given the way the Coyotes have coughed up late goals recently, Tippett may have decided to be cautious and play guys who know his system. I'm guessing Tippett wants Boedker to become more familiar with that before he gets more time.

It's also possible something stung Boedker early in the game and he wasn't quite well enough to take a regular shift.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
zz

Quote:
My biggest problem with Tippet -

1. He doesn't play the young guys.

2. And he runs only 3 lines when he gets the lead. We then barely hold on late...As he has a tired bench. Up 3-0 last night, Boedker played only 7 minutes. NY was all over us in the 3rd period. Same thing tonight.
Boedker may provide an offensive spark, but right now he's a bit of a liability in his own end. As was shown with Mueller, Tippett will play young guys if they deserve it, and most importantly if they make us a better team at any point in the game. Which I have no problem with.

I really don't understand what there's to be unhappy about. This coach is winning games. A lot of them. We played the kids a ton last year, and we collapsed. Again - what is there to complain about?

I'll reiterate - if anything, Mueller's performance last night only shows that maybe, just maybe, after being benched & scratched numerous times, he's finally getting it. If he puts in the work, he'll get the minutes and opportunities. If he keeps it up, most of the credit should go to him, but a small part would go to the coach for handling the situation properly. Mueller got plenty of ice time last year and did nothing with it, but this seems have been easily forgotten.

And if Mueller goes back to a stretch of 5 meaningless games standing around watching others block shots and crash the net, he'll deserve to ride the bench indefinitely.

Old
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
I wasn't bad mouthing Korpi. Just that Boedker has Korpi's speed and twice the hands. I think he can help us offensively with Upshall out.

Korpi is needed less with Winnik and Fiddler healthy.

Here are some numbers:

Korpi, 46 G, Avg 12:27 Ice time/Game, 7 Points, -11
Pyatt, 49 G, Avg 13:10 /Game, 14 Points, +7
Winnik, 49 G, Avg, 13:32 / Game, 17 points, +5
Mueller, 46 G, Avg 12:58 / Game, 16 Points, -4 - With PP Time
Boedker, 12 G, Avg 8:38 / Game, 3 Points, +2

I think Boedker could help - He had 11 G and 17 A last year.
Korpi's stats are misleading. He does a lot of the little things well, a lot of things which Tippett puts high value in. It'll take time for Boedker to earn the trust of the coach, but I think he's ahead of the curve defensively compared to a lot of players his age. He threw a check or two last night, too.

Bryzgalov was unreal in the third... the added rest paid off, but I think he was a little out of it, judging by his post-game comments :
“I think (Doan’s goal) was huge because they were only one shot away from a tie, and then it’s a different game," Coyotes goalie Ilya Bryzgalov said. "But we scored right away. It was an amazing shot and we were kind of like hitting them with a hammer on the head, you know like - ‘OK guys, you’re not in the game.'”

Always good for a quote!

Last edited by wpgyotes: 02-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.
wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote