HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RFA : Erik Johnson

Old
01-31-2010, 02:32 AM
viach

vCash: 500
RFA : Erik Johnson

I am looking at the RFA list next summer....and I noticed that EJ is on this list....

IF EJ is still available next summer and IF a team made a proposal contract for him, I am sure that Blues would easily succeed in equating this proposal like Buffalo do with Vanek in 2007 when they matched the offer sheet from Edmonton. The Blues have cap room next summer (thanks Kariya ...) to sign some key players.

The Blues is a young team and don't necessarily need lot of draft pick but the signature for a RFA like EJ could allow a package like "2 1st round picks, a 2nd and 3rd round pick" and maybe more...

Ok it's maybe just a dream , but I definitely would take you one of your best player

Quote:
NHL RFA rules :
$994,433 or below - None
$994,433 to $1,506,716 - 3rd round pick
$1,506,716 to $3,013,434 - 2nd round pick
$3,013,434 to $4,520,150 - 1st and 3rd round pick
$4,520,150 to $6,026,867 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
$6,026,867 to $7,533,584 - 2 1st round picks, a 2nd and 3rd round pick
$7,533,584 - 4 1st round picks

viach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 03:05 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
The Blues will match pretty much any offer. The only way they wouldn't is if he was offered a huge 10M contract which wont happen.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
STL fan in IA

It's very doubtful EJ even makes it to July 1 still an RFA. If he does though, the Blues will likely match pretty much anything offered to him. Also, the RFA compensation table the OP posted is outdated. The table for this summer's RFAs hasn't been released yet.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
schronote

what kind of contract do people think the blues will sign him to? i was thinking 6 years 30 million at 5mil/year.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:42 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schronote View Post
what kind of contract do people think the blues will sign him to? i was thinking 6 years 30 million at 5mil/year.
Kane and Toews sort of set the bar at $6.3M for 5 years but hopefully the Blues can get EJ signed for a little less than that since he missed a year of development. He's likely going to get more than he's currently worth though - his contract is likely to be based on potential just as much if not moreso than performance. I think the Blues would be lucky if they can get him signed to a 6 yr $30M contract.

Old
01-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Does the Blues paying for last year when the didn't have to play any part in his contract?

Also can we use either Jax or Brewer's contract as a basis or do we not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Kane and Toews sort of set the bar at $6.3M for 5 years but hopefully the Blues can get EJ signed for a little less than that since he missed a year of development. He's likely going to get more than he's currently worth though - his contract is likely to be based on potential just as much if not moreso than performance. I think the Blues would be lucky if they can get him signed to a 6 yr $30M contract.
Seems like Kane and Toews had displayed more at the time of their signing than EJ has thus far. I hope he is around the 5 mill per mark or lower (optimistic).

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:57 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
I think he'll get between $4.5-$5 million. Length of the contract is whole different question.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:59 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
I think he'll get between $4.5-$5 million. Length of the contract is whole different question.
I could live with that especially if he is signed to a long contract, say eight years. However, I doubt that. Five or six is probably closer to reality.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I could live with that especially if he is signed to a long contract, say eight years. However, I doubt that. Five or six is probably closer to reality.
Duncan Keith is getting around $5.5 I believe. I think it will be close to that, I agree.

Old
02-01-2010, 01:13 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
It'll be curious what kind of loyalty he shows at being paid last year when legally the team had a strong case for not having to pay him. I wouldn't be surprised if the term is a bit shorter and the amount a bit lower, then reupping him for a monster contract before he goes to UFA. This allows EJ more of a chance to prove himself. I'm just not sure he's really shown enough yet to warrant the type of contract a #1 overall usually commands at this point.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
schronote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
It'll be curious what kind of loyalty he shows at being paid last year when legally the team had a strong case for not having to pay him. I wouldn't be surprised if the term is a bit shorter and the amount a bit lower, then reupping him for a monster contract before he goes to UFA. This allows EJ more of a chance to prove himself. I'm just not sure he's really shown enough yet to warrant the type of contract a #1 overall usually commands at this point.
As of now I agree, but lets see if he makes some noise to finish out the season. Another point streak and a blues playoff run could very well change the outlook. this offseason will be very interesting for thr blues.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Duncan Keith is getting around $5.5 I believe. I think it will be close to that, I agree.
Keith's cap hit will be $5.5M for the next 13 years but he'll be getting paid $8M/year for the next 3 years and then a little less each year bringing the average, and thus the cap hit, down to $5.5M/year. http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=63187&pos=D

I would sure hope the Blues wouldn't sign EJ to a contract anything like Keith's as he hasn't earned it yet. My guess is EJ gets signed somewhere between $5-6M for 3-5 years.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Honestly, with the way he's played this year, he'll probably get something around 3-4 million.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:35 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Honestly, with the way he's played this year, he'll probably get something around 3-4 million.
What he's worth is likely a couple mil less than what he'll likely get.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Keith's cap hit will be $5.5M for the next 13 years but he'll be getting paid $8M/year for the next 3 years and then a little less each year bringing the average, and thus the cap hit, down to $5.5M/year. http://www.capgeek.com/players/displ...id=63187&pos=D

I would sure hope the Blues wouldn't sign EJ to a contract anything like Keith's as he hasn't earned it yet. My guess is EJ gets signed somewhere between $5-6M for 3-5 years.
Thanks for that info. I certainly don't hope the Blues do that either and I think he'll be signed to a slightly smaller contract (in dollar and length) then in a few years will extend for the big bucks. Which I'm assuming will be elite dollars ($6.5-$7 million plus)

Old
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
6 years/24 million would be my guess.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Plager05

Locking him up at this time would be ignorant imo, we don't know how he's gonna turn out.

Comparing him to Kane or Toews is ridiculous.

Most people are suggesting that Johnson will become our highest paid defenseman next season. This would be unwise.

I see his cap hit staying the same (3.7) but he will be getting most of that, it won't be mostly bonuses like it is now. Probably for 2 years. Certainly an extension, leaving no chance for an offer sheet.

Not disputing his potential but he's done nothing to earn a long term contract at this point.

Zundo had a good a point about Jackman and Brewer's contracts possibly being used as a basis, I'd also like to point out Jackman and Brewer's attitude. These guys both took a little less to stay rather than pursuing the open market. Hopefully EJ does the same instead of waiting for an offer sheet.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager05 View Post
Locking him up at this time would be ignorant imo, we don't know how he's gonna turn out.

Comparing him to Kane or Toews is ridiculous.

Most people are suggesting that Johnson will become our highest paid defenseman next season. This would be unwise.

I see his cap hit staying the same (3.7) but he will be getting most of that, it won't be mostly bonuses like it is now. Probably for 2 years. Certainly an extension, leaving no chance for an offer sheet.

Not disputing his potential but he's done nothing to earn a long term contract at this point.

Zundo had a good a point about Jackman and Brewer's contracts possibly being used as a basis, I'd also like to point out Jackman and Brewer's attitude. These guys both took a little less to stay rather than pursuing the open market. Hopefully EJ does the same instead of waiting for an offer sheet.
Again, what he's worth and what he'll command are likely a million or two apart. If the Blues don't give it to him some other team will. Hopefully EJ will give a bit of a hometeam discount and hopefully the Blues can get him signed to a relatively reasonable contract but you do not want to let him reach RFA status on July 1 as he definitely will get offer sheets...ridiculous offer sheets. The problem is they likley won't be 4 1st rd picks ridiculous, they'll likely only be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd pick ridiculous. Would you want to give up EJ for only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks?

Old
02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Plager05

Quote:
Again, what he's worth and what he'll command are likely a million or two apart. If the Blues don't give it to him some other team will. Hopefully EJ will give a bit of a hometeam discount and hopefully the Blues can get him signed to a relatively reasonable contract but you do not want to let him reach RFA status on July 1 as he definitely will get offer sheets...ridiculous offer sheets. The problem is they likley won't be 4 1st rd picks ridiculous, they'll likely only be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd pick ridiculous. Would you want to give up EJ for only a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rd picks?
I totally agree. I would be a little upset with Johnson if he insisted on a contract like Kane has though, but I don't think he will. I think he will settle for a 2 year deal in the high 3's low 4's, which I think would be a great deal for Blues management and fair compensation for what EJ's contributions to the Blues would be. If he insisted on doing some sort of long term big money deal I really would consider trading him.

What pains me is the RFA compensation structure. EJ really could garner an offersheet upwards of 6 million that the Blues would have to match, the compensation being pathetic for what theoretically would be an all-star player.

Is it just me or is the compensation getting to be less and less year by year?

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:50 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
If it even begins to look like EJ won't resign before July 1st, the team should take him to arbitration so that an offer sheet isn't a possibility. I personally don't think it will come to that though.

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:16 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

not quite on the topic at hand but at least its an EJ thread

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzon...ting-accuracy/

Quote:
“The last two or three days in practice, I’ve probably taken 50 one-timers, working on hitting the net,” Johnson said. ”All that repetition hopefully turns into some scoring chances, and hopefully some more goals for us.”

Repetition isn’t the only factor. Because of how Johnson opens his blade on his shot, he’s learning that he needs to aim differently.

“For me, I open up my blade a little more, so it puts a little bit of a slice on it,” Johnson said. “I have to aim almost a foot to a foot and a half to the left of the net to put it on net. So that’s just something we’ve been looking at and working on. It’s been helping out a lot more. We just pick out one of the advertisements on the board to the left of the net to aim at, and it’s been getting better.”
that scares the crap out of me, so he's learning to NOT aim for the net.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post

I agree to some degree, but at least he is still learning.

Old
03-21-2010, 05:31 PM
General Veers

Quote:

It's not that uncommon for things involving hand-eye coordination. When I go bowling, I aim for the right pins to get the ball to go down the middle. Totally comparable, right?

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
I agree to some degree, but at least he is still learning.
"Oh, man. That was so much easier than putting. I should just try to get the ball in one shot every time."
- H.Gilmore

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
"Oh, man. That was so much easier than putting. I should just try to get the ball in one shot every time."
- H.Gilmore
Exactly!