HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying Equipment: Bauer One75/NikeBauer VaporXXXX/CCM V08

Old
01-31-2010, 09:47 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

vCash: 500
Buying Equipment: Bauer One75/NikeBauer VaporXXXX/CCM V08

I'm going to be starting my ice hockey class soon, and will need to pick up the basic gear shortly, i.e., helmets, elbow and shin pads, pants and gloves.

I've noticed that the Bauer One75, Nike Bauer Vapor XXXX, and CCM V08 lines are similar in price...any thoughts between them in terms of quality, durability, comfort, etc.?

My other question is for any NYC-metro area posters, does anyone know of a store with a large selection of gear to try on and compare? The LHS I've been to have been rather tiny with a limited selection of options.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 01:36 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

The 75 and 08 lines are the ones right below top quality. The XXXX line is a top end line that was just surpassed with the X:60 line.

Try stuff on.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:37 AM
ju87

Try stuff on if possible. Also, consider getting lower priced gear at the start. You probably won't need high level protection at first and most players end up replacing their entire set of gear because at the start, you won't know what features you like or dislike and you will develop preferences as you gain more experience.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Johan Santana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
Try stuff on if possible. Also, consider getting lower priced gear at the start. You probably won't need high level protection at first and most players end up replacing their entire set of gear because at the start, you won't know what features you like or dislike and you will develop preferences as you gain more experience.
this is very true, i am a beginner and i had all the older cheaper equipment but after a few sticks and puck sessions I am already replacing some of it with better things as I see fit, no pun intended.

Johan Santana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
stick9

As others have stated, you should really try stuff on if you can.

That said, the Vapor XXXX will be overkill for what you need. Nice gear, but you'll likely never need that level of protection. The One75 and V08 is more than enough and should be good enough to stay with you as you and your game progress.

Don't go all out right away, but don't skimp. As you develop you may find mixing brands and models better suites your needs, whether be for fit, performance, or level of protection.

Don't skimp on a helmet.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
As others have stated, you should really try stuff on if you can.

That said, the Vapor XXXX will be overkill for what you need. Nice gear, but you'll likely never need that level of protection. The One75 and V08 is more than enough and should be good enough to stay with you as you and your game progress.

Don't go all out right away, but don't skimp. As you develop you may find mixing brands and models better suites your needs, whether be for fit, performance, or level of protection.

Don't skimp on a helmet.
Thanks for all the responses. I figured I'd get high quality, gloves, pants, and a good helmet, and the other stuff (elbow pads, shin pads, stick, mouth guard, etc.) would be medium-quality.

I've been told the skates (already own), helmet, gloves and pants were key to playing/skating comfortably and safely, so I thought I should allocate the majority of budget dollars towards those items.

Also, anyone have any ideas on a good store with a large selection in the NYC-area?

The stores I've been in so far have been rather small, with just a few brands choices.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I figured I'd get high quality, gloves, pants, and a good helmet, and the other stuff (elbow pads, shin pads, stick, mouth guard, etc.) would be medium-quality.

I've been told the skates (already own), helmet, gloves and pants were key to playing/skating comfortably and safely, so I thought I should allocate the majority of budget dollars towards those items.

Also, anyone have any ideas on a good store with a large selection in the NYC-area?

The stores I've been in so far have been rather small, with just a few brands choices.
You can find some nice gloves for cheap. Again, this is something you may change over time as you develop. You may opt for lower protection for increased mobility.

Pants are tough. I like a really protective pant (boney hips), but I find most high end pants too bulky to actually play in. You have to be comfortable and mobile in what you wear. What's the point of being protected if you aren't mobile enough to get into the play....

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote