HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames Trades

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2010, 01:48 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
Wow...

What a typo.

01-31-2010, 01:50 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
You're right they aren't, but part of Calgary's problem is scoring depth. They vastly improved that and really didn't downgrade their current depth on defense much at all. Instead of having to rely on Nigel Dawes, Curtis Glencross and Craig Conroy to provide offense they can move those players into bottom 6 roles where they'll likely better succeed.
As much as Phaneuf is overrated, I think it's a stretch to say they "really didn't downgrade their current depth on defense much as all..."

When Phaneuf is on, he's a game breaker.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
keslehr*

Hahaha, two teams I absolutley despise make a trade. Funny stuff. This trade actually works from Calgary's perspective, as they needed forward depth. Don't know how the Leafs will do anything with that much invested in their D, though...

Old
01-31-2010, 01:51 PM
cc

Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Glencross Langkow Lundmark
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

a lot of depth. a lot of balanced scoring. I think it's a tough lineup to defend against. maybe replace Dawes with backlund

Old
01-31-2010, 01:53 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

a lot of depth. a lot of balanced scoring. I think it's a tough lineup to defend against
Again. It's on paper and it looks good. It has to show promise on the ice before it's declared a winner.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
Tiranis

I guess to me it just seems like Sutter couldn't decide whether they want to win now or later... the move doesn't really do enough for them to win this season and it doesn't do enough long-term either. I don't think those pieces are enough to win this season and knowing that, it probably would've been better to get some picks/prospects back.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:55 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Calgary got hosed.

Pretty much Ian White for Phaneuf.

Alberta imploding right now.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i see

interesting that burke would be willing to spend over 10 million on goalies
You must remember Burke is an astute judge of goalie talent as he amply demonstrated during his time in Vancouver.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Either way, they're improving their offence. They might not have a formidable offence but they're still much better than they were before today.

Stajan and Hagman replace guys like Glencross and Dawes who are third liners playing on the second line. They in turn replace Moss and Conroy on the third line. This could add a quarter goal per game to their lineup.
Hagman and Stajan are the biggest pieces in this trade for Calgary, imo. Is Hagman -- a notorious puck hog and shooter -- who they really needed on their top 2 lines?

On the other hand, a playmaker in need of a change of scenery like Stajan is a good pickup of them.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Slapshot_11

Phaneuf is overrated and overpaid. It will be funny when the media and fans from Toronto start getting on him.

Old
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Quote:
Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

a lot of depth. a lot of balanced scoring. I think it's a tough lineup to defend against
You just can't win without a legit number 1 center IMO.Neither Stajan or Jokinen are one.

I would do something like this

Bourque-Jokinen-Iginla
Glencross-Stajan-Hagman
Dawes-Langkow-Boyd
Nystrom-Conroy-Mayers

Old
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

a lot of depth. a lot of balanced scoring. I think it's a tough lineup to defend against. maybe replace Dawes with backlund
A lot better than:

Kulemin - Grabovski - Kessel
Ponikarovsky - Bozak - Stempniak
Stalberg - Mitchell - Sjostrom
Orr - Primeau - Hanson

Old
01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
wetcoastwhale

Quote:
Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

Probably switch Hagman and Bourque.
Giordano is having a great season and replaces the offence (DP has 22 pts, good for 42nd among D-men) lost by Phaneuf, they still have JBo to log big minutes and White is a good player.
I think they are hoping to wake up Jokinen with the addition of Hagman, and if they can click they will be a bunch better than they have been (again, not that hard to improve on a nine game losing streak.)

Old
01-31-2010, 02:00 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I guess to me it just seems like Sutter couldn't decide whether they want to win now or later... the move doesn't really do enough for them to win this season and it doesn't do enough long-term either. I don't think those pieces are enough to win this season and knowing that, it probably would've been better to get some picks/prospects back.
Exactly. They have NO ONE when guys like Iginla, Regher, Langkow, and Kipper are done. They're all getting older, and good luck luring FA's to Calgary when those guys are gone.

COME PLAY WITH NIGEL DAWES!

Calgary's in for a world of hurt in the next few years.

Hagman Stajan Iginla
Bourque Jokinen Dawes
Nystrom Boyd Moss
Prust Conroy Mayers
Mcgratton

It's decent, but I'd say instead of being 29th in scoring, they'll move to 18th-20th. They're not going to instantly become a top 10 or 15 scoring team.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
canuckerfan

Send a message via MSN to canuckerfan
calgary fans are going ******* over losing their godchild in Phaneuf. they actually got some good pieces for him and I think have gotten a whole lot better short-term. will be interesting to see how this plays out...

Old
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Phaneuf is overrated and overpaid. It will be funny when the media and fans from Toronto start getting on him.
Phaneuf is not overrated! If anything he's underrated on HF. Yes, he's been playing like crap lately, but watch him get a second breath in Toronto and return back to form. He's a solid offensive defenseman that's going to sell a lot of jerseys.

The East also seems like a good fit for him. Don't forget, he had 60 points not too long ago and he's only 24.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Phaneuf is not overrated! If anything he's underrated on HF. Yes, he's been playing like crap lately, but watch him get a second breath in Toronto and return back to form. He's a solid offensive defenseman that's going to sell a lot of jerseys.

The East also seems like a good fit for him. Don't forget, he had 60 points not too long ago and he's only 24.
As Canuck fans we should be celebrating. After this season this leaves Calgary in a world of hurt, unless they can manage to sign a legitimate number 1 center or sign Kovalchuk.

The division just lost a young dman with Norris potential. Great way to start the day!

Old
01-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
As much as Phaneuf is overrated, I think it's a stretch to say they "really didn't downgrade their current depth on defense much as all..."

When Phaneuf is on, he's a game breaker.
Which really hasn't been all season, hence the "current depth on defense". If Phaneuf was playing up to his calibre this deal doesn't happen, but that simply wasn't the case.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM
ChemicalHansen

Quote:

On the contrary, he's been playing well in a limited role. He's ranked pretty low on behindthenet in terms of quality of competition and +/- rating relative to the team; and with that, he's managed a +3 season and most goals for all Flames' defensemen.

I guess his trade value was at its peak now (without looking at his QUALCOMP stats )

Old
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Phaneuf was having a good year, Calgary got ripped off big-time. On the other hand, earlier when I mentioned some of Phaneuf's issues that i've heard about from friends, Flames fans denied them vehemently. Maybe with a fresh start Phaneuf can finally mature and start being more of a professional.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
On the contrary, he's been playing well in a limited role. He's ranked pretty low on behindthenet in terms of quality of competition and +/- rating relative to the team; and with that, he's managed a +3 season and most goals for all Flames' defensemen.

I guess his trade value was at its peak now (without looking at his QUALCOMP stats )
Behindthenet>GM's opinions

sweet.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
ChemicalHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
Phaneuf was having a good year, Calgary got ripped off big-time. On the other hand, earlier when I mentioned some of Phaneuf's issues that i've heard about from friends, Flames fans denied them vehemently. Maybe with a fresh start Phaneuf can finally mature and start being more of a professional.
Assuming his character issues involved excessive partying: Is moving to a bigger city going to change that? How about moving to a losing environment?

Leafs fans can take solace in the fact that their management may have more patience than Calgary's, evidenced by the latter's short-term move.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:19 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
Assuming his character issues involved excessive partying: Is moving to a bigger city going to change that? How about moving to a losing environment?

Leafs fans can take solace in the fact that their management may have more patience than Calgary's, evidenced by the latter's short-term move.
It wasn't even excessive partying, it was more that he wasn't a professional, i.e. not interested in going to the gym in the summer etc. The partying did play into that though. When you get drunk the night before a game it never ends well. (see Chicago Blackhawks loss)

Old
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Jesus Quintana*

On the face of it, this looks like poor return for Phaneuf. He is, after all, a Norris Trophy nominated d-man with youth on his side. However, Calgary stocks up on forward depth, and probably more importantly, they remove Phaneuf from their dressing room. Clearly, he was not liked on the team and clearly there was discontent. I like what this does for Calgary in that way - also, with some of the players becoming pending UFA's in the Summer, coupled with Jokkinen as a pending UFA - Calgary becomes a big player for a BIG name free agent in the off season.

Old
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Behindthenet>GM's opinions

sweet.
I don't think you have any idea what a complete and utter screw up Dion Phaneuf is off the ice. One of the most hated players in the NHL by his teammates and coaches. We're talking about a major league cancer here. With a salary cap you can only build around a small collection of core players and Phaneuf isn't somebody I would be comfortable putting into that group.

How the Flames make out in this will depend on the dollar figures White and Stajan re-sign for. If Sutter cannot get Stajan under contract he comes away looking pretty stupid IMO.

Closed Thread