HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Deals

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Bolt32

vCash: 500
Trading Tanguay right now would be a great thing. He hasn't produce and actually has trade value. He does not fit with the system and can bring someone that can slot in the second line for us for example Svatos from colorado. Everyone assumes that trading Tanguay and we come away losers. Even if we trade for a young gun that has been flirting with the NHL right now I still dont see us losing on the immediate basis. He has done really nothing right now to help this team.......As a second liner he has been a fail, its time we tried something else. Sure hes a great player, a player that wont resign with us....mise well get something for him.

As for Halpern, we have chewie to replace him. Find a low to mid prospect and a low to mid pick for him and ship him away and I would be happy.....

Old
02-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
Trading Tanguay right now would be a great thing. He hasn't produce and actually has trade value. He does not fit with the system and can bring someone that can slot in the second line for us for example Svatos from colorado. Everyone assumes that trading Tanguay and we come away losers. Even if we trade for a young gun that has been flirting with the NHL right now I still dont see us losing on the immediate basis. He has done really nothing right now to help this team.......As a second liner he has been a fail, its time we tried something else. Sure hes a great player, a player that wont resign with us....mise well get something for him.

As for Halpern, we have chewie to replace him. Find a low to mid prospect and a low to mid pick for him and ship him away and I would be happy.....
A young gun... do we honestly believe that Tanguay, a pending UFA who was underproduced severely with two guys that were supposed to provide immediate chemistry will fetch some young gun? The only guy who seemed stupid enough to take him just stepped down in Montreal.

We're stuck with Tanguay, I think. Its not a bad thing, its just that we have nobody who can step in and replace those points. Losing Halpern will be a blow, too. Paul Sz isn't really going to fit into that spot, the only person who looks like he could would be Blair Jones but he hasn't quite found that offensive touch yet.

Old
02-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
I'd trade a 3rd for Svatos.

Old
02-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Off Center

when considering who to replace tanguay with, you've gotta remember that during this 4 game win streak we've had our 1st half MVP playing the part of a 3rd line grinder. the only reason malone and not tanguay got pushed off of vinny's line is the fact that on top of everything tanguay lacks the grit for the bottom 6.

veilleux shouldn't be anybody's idea of a top 6 winger, but neither is the 2010 version of tanguay....if we get nothing back you've got 2 among halpern, veilleux, or malone to choose from to pair with vinny. then you promote chewy or blair jones to fill the bottom 6 spot and you're still working with known quantities in the top 6 and hopefully you can package tanguay and a norfolk Dman (we have 2 or 3 more than can realistically expect to wear a lightning sweater in the next 3 seasons) for a future piece of some kind.

3 or 4 games ago, i was a proponent of trading nitty. now i have to admit that move would be indefensible with us making a very serious playoff run that would energize the fans and help fill the coffers even if it's one-and-done.

HOWEVER, when we've got Ryan Malone on the 3rd line i think there's a case that we can move tanguay out as part of a package to help our future without denting our playoff chances

but if the long-term return's not there, forget it. and i think that's where we'll end up so this is all moot.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Mr Underhill

Something seriously needs to be done about the secondary scoring on this team. Just like before, this team is a one trick pony. They have one great line, but nothing else. And the amazing part about it is that Vinny isnt even on the freakin line that works. Hell, he isnt even on the 1st unit PP. What a freakin joke! How the hell is the "franchise" player making $10 mill be a non-factor in so many games. Tonight him and Tanguay were no-shows. It ridiculous.

I know you can easily blame the loss on the defensive breakdown in the 1st, but for the most part, the defense has been good during the second half of the season. The song remains the same for the secondary scoring though. Whoever plays with Marty and Stammer is good, everybody else sucks.

Management should seriously consider doing something to try and fix this.

Old
02-11-2010, 10:34 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
Something seriously needs to be done about the secondary scoring on this team. Just like before, this team is a one trick pony. They have one great line, but nothing else. And the amazing part about it is that Vinny isnt even on the freakin line that works. Hell, he isnt even on the 1st unit PP. What a freakin joke! How the hell is the "franchise" player making $10 mill be a non-factor in so many games. Tonight him and Tanguay were no-shows. It ridiculous.

I know you can easily blame the loss on the defensive breakdown in the 1st, but for the most part, the defense has been good during the second half of the season. The song remains the same for the secondary scoring though. Whoever plays with Marty and Stammer is good, everybody else sucks.

Management should seriously consider doing something to try and fix this.
Yeah they should. But as I posted in today's GDT it possibly won't happen as Vinik just entered the building and probably won't invest right away in the team he just bought to make this year's playoffs at all costs.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:03 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Drej

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...ode-as/1072695
Quote:
GM Brian Lawton didn't make any predictions as to what the Lightning will do at the trade deadline, but he said being part of the playoff race means the team could be a buyer.

That, and Lawton said prospective owner Jeff Vinik, who already is writing payroll checks, is open to adding payroll if the right deal comes along.

"I explained what we were doing as a management group, and it didn't rankle Jeff," Lawton said. "We're looking to be aggressive. That's the way we've been preparing for the last month and a half as we see how the team is doing. Our people are out doing what they should be doing to prepare a team that hopefully stays in the hunt for a playoff spot."

Old
02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Ok now that sounds great and is the very opposite of what I had expected from Vinik. Great news nonetheless.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
ccmmkkss

Cheechoo on waivers! I'd pick him...

Old
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmkkss View Post
God no.

Old
02-12-2010, 11:53 AM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
God no.

+1

Nerve racking day...

Old
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
CSampson

erlendssontrib

Getting the impression the #TBLightning will be quiet leading up to today's #NHLTrade freeze that goes into effect at 3 p.m. EST 5 minutes ago from mobile web

Old
02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmkkss View Post
It's 2010, not 2006.

Old
02-12-2010, 12:41 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSampson View Post
erlendssontrib

Getting the impression the #TBLightning will be quiet leading up to today's #NHLTrade freeze that goes into effect at 3 p.m. EST 5 minutes ago from mobile web
erlendssontrib further:

Would expect last two games to set up evaluation time for new owners, then devise a plan for the March 3 #NHLTrade deadline

Old
02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Jon Jordan

Dropping in here from time to time, I'm beginning to think nobody listens to me.

Ho-hum ...

JJ

Old
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post
Dropping in here from time to time, I'm beginning to think nobody listens to me.

Ho-hum ...

JJ
Speculation is fun, though!

Old
02-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Radical Yzerlamic
HFBoards Sponsor

If that's really you JJ you should become more active on this forum.

Old
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickSP0 View Post
If that's really you JJ you should become more active on this forum.
It really is him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
CSampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Jordan View Post

Ho-hum ...

JJ
Awww JJ .

Old
02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Cheechoo still has a scoring touch and still hustles, he just needs someone to give him another legitimate opportunity......downside though is his salary of 3.5/per.....

Old
02-14-2010, 04:19 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

After tonight's game I'd really welcome the Lightning getting active at the trade market after the break to make the playoffs - provided the rumors of Vinik giving his OK for this are true. I really like the idea of going after Marty Biron. A solid experienced goaltender who has the perfect contract for us ($ 1.4 million cap hit, will become an UFA after this season). With all that goaltending talent in the pipeline it wouldn't hurt our aspiring talents but it would help us a lot right now in the playoff race. I've really lost my trust in Smitty. Nitty is a hell of a goalie but he obviously hasn't the endurance for the sole number one job and we can't risk things by putting in the young guns Tokarski or Janus in 9th place with 20 games to go. Sure we could hope for the Varlamov-effect but it's too risky.

With regard to the defense we should try to figure out a way to dump Meszaros. Obviously he is going nowhere on this team. He's earning the most money except for Ohlund while contributing least of all. He is -16, his positioning sucks, his clearing efforts fail, his passing is awful and his goal scoring sense is MIA. He is such a talented guy it's just sad that he obviously doesn't match to this team. But Meszaros aside our defense mostly sucks. 15 GA in the last 3 games can't be blamed solely on the goaltending. Time for a change?

I'm a little bit speechless about our lack of secondary scoring and even more clueless about what to do. On paper we've got one of the most talented, skilled, dangerous and deep offensive in the league. Too bad the best player right now who's not a part of our first line is Nate Thompson, an alleged hard working, low scoring, defensively oriented 3rd to 4th liner. Obviously acquiring Tanguay didn't work out very well for us but trading him away now most likely won't help us in the playoff race - considering his value right now (playoff experience check, everything else nil). Halpern isn't producing as well (although being on a line with Vinny for a chunk of the season) and also isn't really effective defensively as the last games showed. He is -12 (2nd worst of the team together with Vielleux, only Meszaros is worse). He could be nice trade bait but what's his counter-value? Maybe a 3rd round pick? Nothing that would help us immediately (nonetheless we should go for it as he's a UFA after this season and most likely won't be resigned anyways).

So there isn't really much we have to offer if we're looking for an instant boost in the playoff race. A few underachievers (Meszaros, Smitty) and a bunch of pending UFAs with low value (Vielleux, Tanguay, Hale) except for Foster, Nitty and maybe Halpern.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 02-14-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Mr Underhill

As shizity as it sounds, how nice would Plekanec, 1st, and blah blah blah look right now?!?!

Or Jack Johnson, 1st, and blah blah blah.....

How about Price, Gomez, and a 1st or prospect

Last edited by Mr Underhill: 02-14-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
gobolt7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
Cheechoo still has a scoring touch and still hustles, he just needs someone to give him another legitimate opportunity......downside though is his salary of 3.5/per.....
Dear God no...

I would be shocked...SHOCKED...if Lawton were able to dump off Tanguay or Meszaros on anyone. And before anyone says anything about the blackhawks..totally untrue. I think Halpern is about the only one you will see moved, maybe.

Old
02-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
I wouldn't complain about Cheechoo on re-entry waivers.

Old
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Jon Jordan

Tee-hee, tee-hee ... It's really me.

And I would be more active around here except I kind of have to be careful.

It's really easy, in a casual message board setting, to say things I would never say in my writing! (Found out early last year that some well-connected folks browse through here routinely.)

In essence, I don't trust myself!

For what it's worth, my stance on the deadline has changed (a little). I still wouldn't expect anything too dramatic.

JJ

Closed Thread