O'Connell and Nilan on WEEI this afternoon

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 08:22 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
O'Connell and Nilan on WEEI this afternoon

Mike O'Connell was on for a good half hour with the big show today and soon after Chris Nilan checked in with some interesting comments.

O'Connell started of by talking about one of the areas the Bruins in his mind were hurt was paying attention to details specifically saying during line changes and the play around the bluelines (I bet he was thinking of Gill's unnecessary icing that led to the faceoff right before the Habs goal; I know I was)

He talked about players who needed to step up and named two players specifically....care to guess? Murray and Rolston. Later on speculating about Murray's perceived value you get the impression the Bruins will make atleast a half assed effort on him. Still, I think it buh-bye to both from the sounds of it.

UFA's- he hopes to keep a 'few' of these players. Hmmmmm.....(by the way Nylander did have a concussion in game 2 hit by Bay-jin; and Samsonov got a minor one on that hit by Kommisarik. Few? sounds like the door is open and don't hit your butts on the way out.

He mentioned Raycroft as a top goalie and 'another on the way' in Toivonen; that the Bruins should be outstanding in this area for atleast another 7-8 years and that they have this local kid Kevin Regan they drafted in the 9th round who is headed for UNH who could be very good. He said with these two kids (Raycroft and Toivonen it's almost impossible for him to screw it up.

He mentioned how he purposely has composed the staff with Boston guys who have to hear 'it' (Gorton, Coady, Sullivan); he said they all are subject to the comments from Bruins fans in thier travels and said even his kids have to constantly deal every day with Bruins, Bruins, Bruins.

He said the reason the Bruins have become so strong drafting and developing players is because he only goes and watches them once or twice now (lightheartedness but truthful) and that he has great scouts in place who put a premium on being diligent on research and checking out the character and personality of the (top) players (specifically); Think of Stuart and Bergeron, Toivonen, Raycroft; he mentioned Morrisonn and how he has a chance to be a very good player and was used for Gonchar. He said the scouting staff budget has been increased as well as the overall scouting putting much more emphasis in this approach and it is paying off.

Speaking of Gonchar- he said he will be back no matter what the award in arbitration. He expects him to do well and get a raise but the Bruins will bring him back.

Interestingly, he talked about the Thornton bru-ha and said Joe said he could play and its up to the player with obvious input from the (medical) staff. I found it interesting how he thought Joe could have played better- MOC wants Joe to shoot more and become more of a threat the way Sakic is going off the side and willing to shoot quite a bit and keep defenses honest. He did mention how its a delicate situation but I found it interesting how he thought Joe could have played better. He had said that if Thornton was healthy the Bruins could very well have won.

MOC said his only complaints with the overall play were games 3 and 5. He gave Montreal great credit and mentioned how there defense were quick and the Habs played as a team. I read this as a direct shot at some of the Bruins defenseman and even the speed of the forwards. He said when you play a top 8 team like the Habs or any of the other playoff teams they are better than the bottom 8 because they do things better- and you have to be on your game and do the little things. He thought the Bruins battled hard but they didn't pay close enough attention to the details.

BERGERON- he talked about how level headed he is but made a couple of very interesting comments: 1) if he never improves and stays this way the Bruins would be very happy; 2) had they known he was this good they would have taken him with their first round pick.

FUTURE OF GAME: MOC said there is no reason for players to make $11 million a year; fans to have to pay $100 for a tix; and owners to lose $10 mil a year. He said there is enough for everyone to be happy and the game to thrive

MOC said they are presently going over what they think will happen with this team and will look at that but then get ready for the draft in June. After that who knows what will happen its going to be hard to tell.

Chris Nilan was on soon after and talked about Thornton. He had nothing but glowing word for Joe. Nilan said he had the same injury and could barely breathe he was in such pain- let alone play hockey. He thought KDP went to far and went on with a fantastic comparison of growing into it like Yzerman, Sakic, Messier, Modano. He said Joe is still young and these guys above didn't all win right away and it takes many personalities but Thornton has great guts and is a leader in toughness by doing what he did. Actually a bunch of very good points for Knuckles.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:33 PM
erfus

Thanks for that wrap-up, DKH. You've saved us the pain of having to endure EEI for ourselves.

Most of MOC's comments seem to echo what he said in the Globe, particularly keeping Gonchar (and also alluding to bringing back the core RFAs, Sammy, Thornton, et al) and avoiding specific and enthusiastic talk about bringing back the vets. I really feel as if this organization is finally well-prepared and headed in a proper direction.

Old
04-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Grapes

Thanx so much !!

Sounded like it was a great show

Great news to hear how he wants to keep Gonchar no matter what. Nothing about Nyles staying ..?
Murray & Rolston gone,..well no surprise there.

i liked Nilan's comments

Old
04-22-2004, 08:40 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfus
Thanks for that wrap-up, DKH. You've saved us the pain of having to endure EEI for ourselves.

Most of MOC's comments seem to echo what he said in the Globe, particularly keeping Gonchar (and also alluding to bringing back the core RFAs, Sammy, Thornton, et al) and avoiding specific and enthusiastic talk about bringing back the vets. I really feel as if this organization is finally well-prepared and headed in a proper direction.
it also sounds as if it's fait accompli that rolston is gone, and murray's return unlikely as well. OC has ALWAYS been a knuble guy- in fact, knuble himself mentioned a few times how OC believed in him and gave him his chance. my gut feeling is that unless knuble hits the jackpot (which seems unlikely in this climate), OC will bring him back. you may even see a top line of sammy-thornton-knuble, which i wouldn't mind seeing at all.

they said 14 UFAs, and i'm trying to figure out if that's right. rolston, murray, knuble, nylander, zamuner, donato, grosek, moran, odonnell, mcgillis, potvin, green, slegr (i'm missing 1 player ). IMO, you'll see maybe 4-6 guys back. i'll say 5 for now: 1 of odonnell or mcgillis (i think they will trade gill over the summer), knuble, donato, nylander and green.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:33 PM
hockeyscribe22
HFB Partner

Potvin

is the one you're missing and I hope they keep him and give Toinoven more time!

Old
04-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
Potvin is on his list.

I'm just guessing.. Doull?

Old
04-23-2004, 04:18 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
Mike O'Connell was on for a good half hour with the big show today and soon after Chris Nilan checked in with some interesting comments...
DKH-Thanks for recognising the importance of the interview and neatly summing it up. O'Connell sounded like he was bouyed by a recent vote of confidence from Jacobs. His trade deadline deals impressed the boss. (O'Connell was also magnaminous in crediting the scouting staff for being the best judges of talent.)

O'Connell's signing decisions will apparently be well-informed by the Canadien series. I hope this means the Bruins will sign Nylander and Gonchar, acquire some quicker defensemen and replace Murray (especially).

Old
04-23-2004, 06:39 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
If there is a positive to take from the loss to the Habs it is that MOC knows what our weaknesses are once the playoffs start (slow D, guys not willing to pay the price and step up). Let's hope he gets it done this offseason!

Old
04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
BruinsGirl

How come our guys got concussions and we didn't concuss anybody.

Old
04-23-2004, 08:54 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
How come our guys got concussions and we didn't concuss anybody.

cause we got penalized for hitting people in the head...................as someone else did not

Old
04-23-2004, 11:19 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
DKH-Thanks for recognising the importance of the interview and neatly summing it up. O'Connell sounded like he was bouyed by a recent vote of confidence from Jacobs. His trade deadline deals impressed the boss. (O'Connell was also magnaminous in crediting the scouting staff for being the best judges of talent.)

O'Connell's signing decisions will apparently be well-informed by the Canadien series. I hope this means the Bruins will sign Nylander and Gonchar, acquire some quicker defensemen and replace Murray (especially).
I don't know if you heard it but this is how I read it also. They'll take a decent shot at Murray but there will be no ringing of hands- if its a good deal he'll be back; but I'll go record right now he's back in LA. I expect Knuble, O'Donnell and Nylander back- maybe Green (hopefully, but with a glut of centers with Bergeron a natural, Nylander we can only hope, and Boyes, I'd say Green doubtful) and possibly McGillis or Slegr. Rolston and Murray will be gone imo

Old
04-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Bruin_Ron

Thanks alot for the summary, DKH. Very impressive.

My thoughts: I'm happy to hear Gonchar will be back. We just need some players to that will help him shine. His reputation grew in Washington, playing the PP with guys like Lang, Jagr, Bondra, and others. Murray does not fit the bill.

I believe MOC didn't have a choice but to say that they'd try with Murray. He couldn't exactly go out there and say "Nope, we ain't resigning him!"

As for Rolston, I still think we should have acquired Arnott while we could have. He would have been great in the Black & Gold

Thanks again, DKH!

Old
04-23-2004, 11:53 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22
i was thinking it might be doull as a group VI, but not sure.

anyway, we don't need potvin and his 1.3 million dollar salary. IMO, thomas can do a fine job for about 1/4 of that money. if not thomas, there will be other guys available who can carry razor's bags for him.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:07 PM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin_Ron
As for Rolston, I still think we should have acquired Arnott while we could have. He would have been great in the Black & Gold
Arnott didn't exactly light it up this playoff.

2003-2004 Stars 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS -1+/- 2PIM

Old
04-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Habsp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
cause we got penalized for hitting people in the head...................as someone else did not
The Nylander and Samsonsoft hits were bone crushing but legal. Komisarek got his hands up on the Thornton hit, but it was marginal. There is a difference when you hit someone in the teeth with your stick like Thornton.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:11 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyscribe22
MacDonald?

Old
04-24-2004, 08:17 AM
howaryuh

Thanks for putting it all down DKH! It's good to be able hear this stuff up here in the north.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21
Arnott didn't exactly light it up this playoff.

2003-2004 Stars 5GP 1G 1A 2PTS -1+/- 2PIM
No, he didn't. But who knows what would have happened in Beantown

Old
04-24-2004, 04:14 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsp
The Nylander and Samsonsoft hits were bone crushing but legal. Komisarek got his hands up on the Thornton hit, but it was marginal. There is a difference when you hit someone in the teeth with your stick like Thornton.
You must be trying to rile us up with that Samsonsoft comment.
Especially since you claim to like the guy.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...65#post1243065

Funny how Mr. Soft never mentioned the concussion, never missed a shift or stopped play to kick his legs or stare at the ceiling like he'd been shot.

Old
04-24-2004, 09:26 PM
mattkaz

Here's the list I found of FA's:

UNRESTRICTED
Rich Brennan
Ted Donato
Travis Green
Mike Knuble
Dan McGillis
Ian Moran