HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues' Entry Draft Poll v.2

View Poll Results: Whom should the Blues take with the 17th overall pick in the Entry Draft?
Al Montoya, G, Michigan (CCHA) 11 31.43%
Cory Schneider, G, Philips-Andover Academy (US HS) 2 5.71%
Lukas Kaspar, LW, Litvinov (Czech) 11 31.43%
Vaclav Meidl, C, Plymouth (OHL) 1 2.86%
Ladislav Smid, D, Liberec (Czech) 4 11.43%
Mike Green, D, Saskatoon (WHL) 5 14.29%
Other player (please elaborate in your post) 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Blues' Entry Draft Poll v.2

Based on the results of several mock drafts here at HF, most of the players on the first poll will be long gone by the time the Blues draft. So I've created a new list of six potential picks (two G, two F, two D) for the Blues and their fans to look at with the 17th overall pick.

Stats to come when I get a few minutes to put them together. Just a few notes about these guys, however...

Al Montoya: CSB's top-ranked North American goalie at mid-term. Still a good prospect, but may be available at the 17th pick if Edmonton or some other team also in need of a franchise goalie doesn't snatch him up. Still has three years to play at Michigan under Red Berenson.

Cory Schneider: A dark-horse goalie, 7th on the CSB list at mid-term, backstopped the U-18 team USA to the silver medal in the U-18 world championships earlier this week. Good size at 6-02, 195. Will spend the next four years at Boston College. The more I look at this kid, the better I like him.

Lukas Kaspar: Still the guy I think the Blues ought to take. A LW with good size at 6-02, 202. Scored a lot of points in the Czech junior league, and played a lot of the season with Litvinov in the Czech Extraliga, where he did not embarrass himself.

Vaclav Meidl: A big (6-05, 198 lbs) center from Plymouth of the OHL. Didn't score a lot of points, but is very likely a Michal Handzus type of player for the Blues.

Ladislav Smid: Big (6-03, 209 lbs) Czech defenseman. Stay-at-home type.

Mike Green: Offensive-minded right-shooting defenseman from Saskatoon of the WHL. Decent size at 6-01, 195 lbs.

As I said above, stats to come later. Looking forward to everyone's vote.

PrussianBlue

Old
04-22-2004, 09:16 PM

It's funny you list Meidl...I've kind of been keeping an eye on him.

He should be available in round 2 and I think that's where the Blues should grab him (although I did vote for him).

Old
04-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
It's funny you list Meidl...I've kind of been keeping an eye on him.

He should be available in round 2 and I think that's where the Blues should grab him (although I did vote for him).
Y' know, if the Blues drafted Schneider and Meidl 1-2, I'd be happier than a pig in mud.

PrussianBlue

Old
04-22-2004, 09:36 PM

I'm not sure that drafting a G with the Blues 1st rounder is needed...I'm content with seeing what they already have lined up there has to offer.

Old
04-23-2004, 09:03 AM
Frenzy1

Tough Choice. I like the idea of Green because he is a Righty, which we don't have in the system. But I picked Lukas Kaspar because of lack of LW in system. Yes, Zak has moved over, but....

I do have a question for everyone else. Do you think it is easier to find a solid top 4 D man later in the draft, or do you think it is easier to find a solid top 6 after the 1st round.

I would really like to move up in the draft, especially if we can get a package of picks for one of the big 3, and trade those to move.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Blueski

oops

Meant to vote for Meidl...voted for Smid....is there anyway I can change that?

Old
04-23-2004, 01:31 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Tough Choice. I like the idea of Green because he is a Righty, which we don't have in the system. But I picked Lukas Kaspar because of lack of LW in system. Yes, Zak has moved over, but....

I do have a question for everyone else. Do you think it is easier to find a solid top 4 D man later in the draft, or do you think it is easier to find a solid top 6 after the 1st round.

I would really like to move up in the draft, especially if we can get a package of picks for one of the big 3, and trade those to move.

Actually we do have a righty in the system, Robin Jonsson. People just forget about him because of his cancer issue a few years ago(I am guilty of this also). If I remember correctly he was rated higher than Backman prior to the cancer and fell dramatically after he was diagnosed.

I do agree though, go with Kaspar. We need the LW's even with Zak moving over.

Old
04-23-2004, 07:15 PM
barnburner

Since I have never seen any of these guys play, my opinion is worth about the same as the amount of cyber ink used to express it. But, since the premier forwards will probably be gone before the Blues pick, I'm kind of interested in Green.
The similarity in the scouting reports of Green and Jackman before he was drafted, is intriguing. Like Jackman, Green will probably be drafted somewhat late because of his lack of size.
Like Jackman, he appears to be a hardnosed defender that plays much bigger than his size. Being older than dirt, and having had the chance to watch the Plagers, Noel Picard, etc.., I do love tough hardnosed dmen.The fact that Green is righthanded certainly is a plus.

Old
04-24-2004, 11:25 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
Based on the results of several mock drafts here at HF, most of the players on the first poll will be long gone by the time the Blues draft. So I've created a new list of six potential picks (two G, two F, two D) for the Blues and their fans to look at with the 17th overall pick.
Well, I think from my posts in V.1, you should know who I picked. I still believe in BPA. I'm truly biased on him but from others that I've talked to, he's at least a well-rounded 3/4, which isn't a bad thing.

Otherwise, just a couple of things that I thought were strange:

I think it would be an absolute miracle if Al Montoya were to last until 17th.

What happened to Boris Valabik? Was he actually brought up to the top ten by people? I think the possibility of him being a seriously good defenceman is super, but not enough to move him into the upper bracket.

EDIT - Cory Schneider I know nothing about, but I think that a 1st round pick on a high school goalie (especially a 17th pick) would be the most wanton case of "throwing caution to the wind". I don't care if it's a goalie from St. Sebastiens or not.

Last edited by King of Stankonia: 04-24-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old
04-25-2004, 10:14 PM
degroat*

I really think the Blues should go defenseman in the 1st round. Belle is only defenseman with top pairing potential in the organization.

Barker will obviously be gone. Thelen probably will be too, but if he falls, then there's no doubt they should take him.

So, we're hoping one of Green or O'Neill falls to #17 and if he doesn't then Smid or perhaps Fransson or Hedman. I have no interest in Valabik in the 1st round.

Old
04-26-2004, 09:19 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
I really think the Blues should go defenseman in the 1st round. Belle is only defenseman with top pairing potential in the organization.

Barker will obviously be gone. Thelen probably will be too, but if he falls, then there's no doubt they should take him.

So, we're hoping one of Green or O'Neill falls to #17 and if he doesn't then Smid or perhaps Fransson or Hedman. I have no interest in Valabik in the 1st round.
The problem with that is, we have 4 Dmen in this organization that are capable top 4 guys, and each will be around for close to 10 years+.

If we have a chance to snatch up a (as close as it can get at 17) sure thing top 6 forward, or a big time goaltender, we've got to do it.

Pronger - 29 years old With his physical style I'm not too sure he could play into his 40s, but if there's someone on this team who could, I think it'd be him.

Jackman, 23, He's got 14+ years left.

Backman, 23 (his birthday is this Wednesday), Same, he's got 14+ years.

Belle, 19, He's got a good 20 years ahead of him.

That's not to say we shouldn't draft Dmen with top 4 potential, it's just not a serious need right now. I want a 1st round caliber goaltender. But that's just me. In my short stint of playing high school hockey (as well as my younger years), I was a defensman. So it's understandable why I would love a goaltender that plays consistantly dominant hockey.

Old
04-27-2004, 09:28 PM
degroat*

I understand your point about the defensemen at the NHL level being much better than the forwards, but with the amount of time it takes players to develop combined with the fact that it's nearly impossible to know if any one of those defenseman you named will be with the team in three years (especially when you consider the uncertainty with the new CBA), I don't think you should take depth at the NHL level into consideration when making the pick.

Old
04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
Epoch

Lukas Kaspar.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:17 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
The problem with that is, we have 4 Dmen in this organization that are capable top 4 guys, and each will be around for close to 10 years+.

If we have a chance to snatch up a (as close as it can get at 17) sure thing top 6 forward, or a big time goaltender, we've got to do it.

Pronger - 29 years old With his physical style I'm not too sure he could play into his 40s, but if there's someone on this team who could, I think it'd be him.

Jackman, 23, He's got 14+ years left.

Backman, 23 (his birthday is this Wednesday), Same, he's got 14+ years.

Belle, 19, He's got a good 20 years ahead of him.

That's not to say we shouldn't draft Dmen with top 4 potential, it's just not a serious need right now. I want a 1st round caliber goaltender. But that's just me. In my short stint of playing high school hockey (as well as my younger years), I was a defensman. So it's understandable why I would love a goaltender that plays consistantly dominant hockey.
You left out Robin Jonsson. He is 20 and has a good 15-20 years ahead of him. Also, Zach Fitzgerald could be a top 4 guy(in the Salvador mold). Also don't forget that we have Salvador on the NHL roster and he is a solid number 4 D man. That is potentially 7 guys in the system(not counting Byrne or Walker, both of whom caould be quality NHL defensemen) with top 4 potential. There comes a point when you have too much depth, the Blues are getting close to that point.

Old
04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Buannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
You left out Robin Jonsson. He is 20 and has a good 15-20 years ahead of him. Also, Zach Fitzgerald could be a top 4 guy(in the Salvador mold). Also don't forget that we have Salvador on the NHL roster and he is a solid number 4 D man. That is potentially 7 guys in the system(not counting Byrne or Walker, both of whom caould be quality NHL defensemen) with top 4 potential. There comes a point when you have too much depth, the Blues are getting close to that point.

zack fitzgerald WILL be a top 4 guy....trust me

he is far more consistant than belle in my opinion
hard to tell how/if belle will mature...he can skate, but his hockey sense is...ummm....lacking (read almost non-existant)

fitzgerald has a ton of growth potential, is physical, smart and has heart

I predict he'll go a long way

I think the blues should be looking at a goalie personally

Old
05-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Senor Rational

Send a message via AIM to Senor Rational
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buannan
zack fitzgerald WILL be a top 4 guy....trust me

he is far more consistant than belle in my opinion
hard to tell how/if belle will mature...he can skate, but his hockey sense is...ummm....lacking (read almost non-existant)

fitzgerald has a ton of growth potential, is physical, smart and has heart

I predict he'll go a long way

I think the blues should be looking at a goalie personally
Since Schnieder is a young HS goalie, would there be a good possibility that we could get him with a second round pick?

Old
05-06-2004, 12:31 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Id like to change my vote to other now. Ive seen a few mock drafts now that have had chipchura slipping to us. Id love to see that.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:43 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Id like to change my vote to other now. Ive seen a few mock drafts now that have had chipchura slipping to us. Id love to see that.
From what I hear, I doubt Chipchura falls to 17, JMO.

210, PB, IB, any other...

Could you possibly post a bio for each of the choices?

IE "So and so" speedy skater with a physical presence in front of the net. (do those 2 comments usually appear together?)

If not it's ok, but I'd really appreciate it if you could.

Old
05-25-2004, 03:15 PM
degroat*

Here's my 'St Louis Blues Draft Board'....

1. Alexander Ovechkin [RW] 6-2/200
2. Evgeni Malkin [C] 6-3/205
3. Rostislav Olesz [C] 6-1/200
4. Cam Barker [D] 6-3/210
5. Lauri Tukonen [RW] 6-2/200
6. AJ Thelen [D] 6-3/210
7. Andrew Ladd [LW] 6-2/210
8. Rob Schremp [C] 5-11/200
9. Mike Green [D] 6-1/195
10. Wojtek Wolski [LW] 6-3/200
11. Ladislav Smid [D] 6-3/205
12. Wes O’Neil [D] 6-4/215
13. Alexandre Picard [LW] 6-2/190
14. Roman Tesliuk [D] 6-0/190
15. Oscar Hedman [D] 6-0/205
16. Johan Fansson [D] 6-1/180
17. Kyle Chipchura [C] 6-2/200

Old
05-28-2004, 01:05 AM
CuSa_1

Is there a chance of Boris Valabik falling to us.

Been reading about him and he seems to be a Zdeno Chara type.

Anyone have any opinions on him? I wouldn't mind trading up for him. Of course I've been screaming for a forward with our first round pick. But this is the one defensman that excites me for our first round pick.

Old
05-28-2004, 07:33 AM
degroat*

I would cry like a little girl if the Blues drafted Valabik. The guy can't skate. There's really not much more to say.

Old
05-28-2004, 11:24 AM
degroat*

From the RLR: "It's not so much that Valabik's feet are slow, it's that his head is really slooowww when making decisions."

Old
05-28-2004, 12:40 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
From the RLR: "It's not so much that Valabik's feet are slow, it's that his head is really slooowww when making decisions."

I've never seen him so I'll have to trust your opinion.

Old
05-28-2004, 02:56 PM
degroat*

I keep ending up at this thread looking at the results and every time I do so, I'm completely baffled.... for a couple reasons.

First, I dont understand why people think that we're in such a dire need for left wingers. The Blues 2 best prospects [per the polls] are left wingers.

Secondly, Kaspar is not that highly rated... especially compared to some of the players that people are not voting for (Namely: Green, Smid, & Montoya). McKeens ranks Kasper 25th overall, Montoya 10th, Green 17th, & Smid 18th. Now, that's not that big of a difference, but McKeens ranks Kasper higher than anyone else that I've seen... so in the best case scenario he's not ranked up there with some of the others on the poll. CSS ranks Kasper 14th among Europeans, which traditionally translates to a mid to late 2nd rounder... but he'll probably end up going in the early 2nd round.

I understand certain motivations behind the voting. Some people really want a forward. PB/Brian really wants to add size up front. I get that... I just think that Kaspar would be a reach at 17th... especially when you might be able to get a player like Nokelainen or Wheeler in the 2nd round.

Last edited by degroat*: 05-28-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old
05-30-2004, 11:15 PM
c-carp

I cancelled my subscription to the Hockey News a while back and was wondering if someone could tell me when their Draft issue will hit the newsstands if it hasnt already.

Thanks

Closed Thread