HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues' Entry Draft Poll v.2

View Poll Results: Whom should the Blues take with the 17th overall pick in the Entry Draft?
Al Montoya, G, Michigan (CCHA) 11 31.43%
Cory Schneider, G, Philips-Andover Academy (US HS) 2 5.71%
Lukas Kaspar, LW, Litvinov (Czech) 11 31.43%
Vaclav Meidl, C, Plymouth (OHL) 1 2.86%
Ladislav Smid, D, Liberec (Czech) 4 11.43%
Mike Green, D, Saskatoon (WHL) 5 14.29%
Other player (please elaborate in your post) 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2004, 11:19 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Weidler
Based on the results of several mock drafts here at HF, most of the players on the first poll will be long gone by the time the Blues draft. So I've created a new list of six potential picks (two G, two F, two D) for the Blues and their fans to look at with the 17th overall pick.

Stats to come when I get a few minutes to put them together. Just a few notes about these guys, however...

Al Montoya: CSB's top-ranked North American goalie at mid-term. Still a good prospect, but may be available at the 17th pick if Edmonton or some other team also in need of a franchise goalie doesn't snatch him up. Still has three years to play at Michigan under Red Berenson.

Cory Schneider: A dark-horse goalie, 7th on the CSB list at mid-term, backstopped the U-18 team USA to the silver medal in the U-18 world championships earlier this week. Good size at 6-02, 195. Will spend the next four years at Boston College. The more I look at this kid, the better I like him.

Lukas Kaspar: Still the guy I think the Blues ought to take. A LW with good size at 6-02, 202. Scored a lot of points in the Czech junior league, and played a lot of the season with Litvinov in the Czech Extraliga, where he did not embarrass himself.

Vaclav Meidl: A big (6-05, 198 lbs) center from Plymouth of the OHL. Didn't score a lot of points, but is very likely a Michal Handzus type of player for the Blues.

Ladislav Smid: Big (6-03, 209 lbs) Czech defenseman. Stay-at-home type.

Mike Green: Offensive-minded right-shooting defenseman from Saskatoon of the WHL. Decent size at 6-01, 195 lbs.

As I said above, stats to come later. Looking forward to everyone's vote.

PrussianBlue
Is this not a good year for the North American player, Who are some of the NA skaters who could be around at this time. I am not saying pick a North American over a more qualified European player, I am just askingf if there are any comparable to these guys.

Old
05-30-2004, 11:23 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buannan
zack fitzgerald WILL be a top 4 guy....trust me

he is far more consistant than belle in my opinion
hard to tell how/if belle will mature...he can skate, but his hockey sense is...ummm....lacking (read almost non-existant)

fitzgerald has a ton of growth potential, is physical, smart and has heart

I predict he'll go a long way

I think the blues should be looking at a goalie personally
Buannan, How did Zach play the last Quarter of the year. (I havent been on the Internet in Quite some time with my Computer being down) Any info on his scraps in the later part of the year.

Thanks

Old
05-31-2004, 01:27 AM
CuSa_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Buannan, How did Zach play the last Quarter of the year. (I havent been on the Internet in Quite some time with my Computer being down) Any info on his scraps in the later part of the year.

Thanks
hey c-carp, it's been a while

Old
05-31-2004, 02:05 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuSa_1
hey c-carp, it's been a while
I broke my damn computer, in fact its still broke I am just at a buddies house drinking beer and decided to touch base with you guys.

Old
06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
degroat*

Hey Brian... rumor has it that your boy Schneider is heading to Rimouski of the QMJHL next year. If it's true, Rimouski (who Crosby plays for) would immediately be the odds on favorite to win the Memorial Cup.

Old
06-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Hey Brian... rumor has it that your boy Schneider is heading to Rimouski of the QMJHL next year. If it's true, Rimouski (who Crosby plays for) would immediately be the odds on favorite to win the Memorial Cup.
Hmmm... that's interesting, to say the least. And you're absolutely right that Crosby and Schneider would make la Oceanic odds-on favorites for the 2004-05 Memorial Cup.

My understanding was that Schneider had committed to Boston College for 2005-06, so I don't know if he can play major junior next year without losing his elgibility. Maybe he's re-evaluated and figured out that major junior is a faster road to an NHL paycheck...

Over the last few years, it seems that a lot of Northeast boys have been going to play in the "Q," so this isn't far-fetched at all.

Old
06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
c-carp

I got my Hockey News Draft issue and have read it for a week now and for the perposes of this poll I voted for Montoya. The Blues really need a "Goalie of the Future and there are several highly thought of goalies in this draft.

THN had Montoya rated 8th so he would really have to slip to get to us even if the draft is as much of a crapshoot after the first two picks as they emply.

They had a goalie named Devan Dubnyk rated 17th and if he is there as they figure like he will be and Montoya is gone I would pick him. The only thing that scares me about him and I know that there is a trend towards big goalies nowadays is his size he is 6'6 and at that height I wonder if he would be agile enough to be a NHL calibre goalie. In his THN bio they say he has quick feet and hands so who knows.

As for Wingers there are a couple around 17 that interested me.

At 13 they had Alexander Radulov. The thing that struck me about him other that being projected to be a skilled forward is that they say that he will run over peop;e to get the puck.

At 19 they had Wojtek Wolski A Polish born forward who grew up and was trained in North America. He has size and high end skill and they speak very highly of his Cheracter in the bio.

On D there were also some interesting choices. Just readint the thumbnail Bio's I kept going back to Mike Green who was mentioned in the poll. THN had him at 32, largely due to the fact that his Junior team in Saskatoon won just 7 games all year. One GM was even quoted as saying that if he was on a better team he would be a top 10 pick. That comment puzzles me to no end, why punish the kid in your rankings because his team sucked.

At 20 they had a kid from Slovakia. Boris Valabik, who is 6'7 and they call him a Zdeno Chara clone.

At 15 they had a kid from Michigan State AJ Thelen who has good size at 6'3 and was expected to be a skilled d-man.

Every year it seems like there are guys who THN has rated fairly high who slip like Anthony Stewart did for some reason last year when he slipped all the way to the Florida Panthers.

Since we already have a goalie in our poll Montoya who would have to slip to get to the Blues I thought I would throw out the names of a couple of Other players who would have to slip in the eyes of THN to get to the Blues and people who get to read a lot more than thumbnail Bio's in THN can tell why they could slip or why I am out of my mind.

At No 4 they had a RW from Finland named Lauri Tukonen who is projected to be a Power Forward. just for calling him a potential Power Forward and knowing how hard those are to come by I would pick him if he slipped to us.

At 7 they had a big forward from Calgary in the WHL Andrew Ladd the quote that got me interestes was the one that said that he had a "bit of Rick Nash in him. The other thing that I liked was that he led the WHL with a plus 39.

While you all read these and make your comments keep in mind that I wrote this knowing that my only reference was the THN draft issue and that alone could lead to a lot of comments that some who follow these kids more could consider stupid. I know that I know almost nothing about these kids.

Old
06-09-2004, 12:21 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
I got my Hockey News Draft issue and have read it for a week now and for the perposes of this poll I voted for Montoya. The Blues really need a "Goalie of the Future and there are several highly thought of goalies in this draft.

THN had Montoya rated 8th so he would really have to slip to get to us even if the draft is as much of a crapshoot after the first two picks as they emply.

They had a goalie named Devan Dubnyk rated 17th and if he is there as they figure like he will be and Montoya is gone I would pick him. The only thing that scares me about him and I know that there is a trend towards big goalies nowadays is his size he is 6'6 and at that height I wonder if he would be agile enough to be a NHL calibre goalie. In his THN bio they say he has quick feet and hands so who knows.
I don't think that there's any way that Montoya slips to St. Louis, but there is always hope. The Ducks got it last year when Getzlaf slipped from a top-ten pick to almost in the 20's. If I were a Sharks fan I'd be kicking myself for selecting Steve Bernier.

I think that there has already been a couple of conversations about Dubnyk here with a couple of people basically going against that idea. I personally don't think that there's anything wrong with selecting a guy who's raw like Dubnyk is in the late teens of the draft, but there might be better available.

Quote:
As for Wingers there are a couple around 17 that interested me.

At 13 they had Alexander Radulov. The thing that struck me about him other that being projected to be a skilled forward is that they say that he will run over peop;e to get the puck.

At 19 they had Wojtek Wolski A Polish born forward who grew up and was trained in North America. He has size and high end skill and they speak very highly of his Cheracter in the bio.
Radulov probably won't make it to us either. He was one of the guys who was climbing the charts all season long and has reached a super-hype status. If the draft was held 3 months ago, then maybe.

Wolski is pretty much the opposite of Radulov who's stock has dropped significantly since the beginning of the season. I wouldn't feel safe with him at all. Robert Dome anyone?

Quote:
On D there were also some interesting choices. Just readint the thumbnail Bio's I kept going back to Mike Green who was mentioned in the poll. THN had him at 32, largely due to the fact that his Junior team in Saskatoon won just 7 games all year. One GM was even quoted as saying that if he was on a better team he would be a top 10 pick. That comment puzzles me to no end, why punish the kid in your rankings because his team sucked.

At 20 they had a kid from Slovakia. Boris Valabik, who is 6'7 and they call him a Zdeno Chara clone.

At 15 they had a kid from Michigan State AJ Thelen who has good size at 6'3 and was expected to be a skilled d-man.
I think I've said enough about Mike Green to make you guys puke. I love the kid and would be ecstatic if the Blues picked him up even in the 1st round.

Boris Valabik I would have no problems with either, but I believe there was a general "no" from the intelligentsia on the Blues board on that one. I disagreed, but I also go by BPA.

AJ Thelen is one that I have never seen play, but looks like a great package. Defense can be taught , which is apparently his weakness, but 6-3 220 can't.

Quote:
Every year it seems like there are guys who THN has rated fairly high who slip like Anthony Stewart did for some reason last year when he slipped all the way to the Florida Panthers.

Since we already have a goalie in our poll Montoya who would have to slip to get to the Blues I thought I would throw out the names of a couple of Other players who would have to slip in the eyes of THN to get to the Blues and people who get to read a lot more than thumbnail Bio's in THN can tell why they could slip or why I am out of my mind.

At No 4 they had a RW from Finland named Lauri Tukonen who is projected to be a Power Forward. just for calling him a potential Power Forward and knowing how hard those are to come by I would pick him if he slipped to us.
Tukonen won't fall, he's far too good. I don't think I've seen a list with him lower than 7th.

Quote:
At 7 they had a big forward from Calgary in the WHL Andrew Ladd the quote that got me interestes was the one that said that he had a "bit of Rick Nash in him. The other thing that I liked was that he led the WHL with a plus 39.

While you all read these and make your comments keep in mind that I wrote this knowing that my only reference was the THN draft issue and that alone could lead to a lot of comments that some who follow these kids more could consider stupid. I know that I know almost nothing about these kids.
Actually carp, it's a pretty fair assessment of the kids in the draft. I wouldn't call it stupid.

Closed Thread