Notices

Kotalik Coming To Calgary

Old
01-31-2010, 10:50 PM
flames123

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Can you explain why White costs $0 for the rest of the season? And is not on "active roster"?
He does not.

Lets say there is 100 days in the season.

A player is paid 100$ for the year.

This player plays 80 days for team A, then is traded to team B.

Team A is given a cap hit of 80$ for that player, while team B only take on a 20$ cap hit... because that is how long they had him for.

So when we gave away Phaneuf, we took on a CAP hit that was equal to the ammount of days he played... Just as Toronto took on a salary hit for every day their players were on contract. That is why you heard Burke and Sutter talking about the "right time" to do a trade, because the players are worth less now, and enough of Phanuefs contract had been paid by Calgary for them to take it on.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

And to the right..Chris Higgins!

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
He does not.

Lets say there is 100 days in the season.

A player is paid 100$ for the year.

This player plays 80 days for team A, then is traded to team B.

Team A is given a cap hit of 80$ for that player, while team B only take on a 20$ cap hit... because that is how long they had him for.

So when we gave away Phaneuf, we took on a CAP hit that was equal to the ammount of days he played... Just as Toronto took on a salary hit for every day their players were on contract. That is why you heard Burke and Sutter talking about the "right time" to do a trade, because the players are worth less now, and enough of Phanuefs contract had been paid by Calgary for them to take it on.
I understand all that. But if you look at the site, Ian White is listed as "not on active roster" and his salary is $0 for the rest of the season. Not a huge difference, probably only $300k or so. So instead of 4.3m they have 4m. Or is there a reason why Ian White would be free for the rest of the season?

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:53 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

He's ****in fat.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:56 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

What type of player is Prust?

FYI, Kotalik has an amazing shot from the point on the PP, but is otherwise useless. Higgins just plays hard, but I've never seen a player get more metal than he does. Comes ridiculously close to scoring all the time, it's frustrating to watch.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
flames123

Quote:
I understand all that. But if you look at the site, Ian White is listed as "not on active roster" and his salary is $0 for the rest of the season. Not a huge difference, probably only $300k or so. So instead of 4.3m they have 4m. Or is there a reason why Ian White would be free for the rest of the season?
That is because he was not added to our roster yet (when a trade is made the players go to the minors and then get called up) he has not been added to out roster because there is not enough roster space. It may also be that Sutter needs to squeeze an extra few days out of his CAP hit.

Old
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post

FYI, Kotalik has an amazing shot from the point on the PP, but is otherwise useless. Higgins just plays hard, but I've never seen a player get more metal than he does. Comes ridiculously close to scoring all the time, it's frustrating to watch.
Prust is actually a really good skater and a great energy guy that is a great scrapper.

Old
01-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
That is because he was not added to our roster yet (when a trade is made the players go to the minors and then get called up) he has not been added to out roster because there is not enough roster space. It may also be that Sutter needs to squeeze an extra few days out of his CAP hit.
Ah. Thanks for clarifying that. I think I just got confused with this cap stuff because of the fact that LTIR players don't give you room the same way that trades do. Bah, I'll just have to start using capgeek more.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 10:59 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:

Grinder/energy guy. Good on the cycle. Will fight pretty much anyone. I'm sure he'll be a fan favorite in New York.

Jokinen has been pretty frustrating for us flames fans this season. He's hit a ton of metal as well this season.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:00 PM
flames123

Quote:
Ah. Thanks for clarifying that. I think I just got confused with this cap stuff because of the fact that LTIR players don't give you room the same way that trades do. Bah, I'll just have to start using capgeek more.
The post CBA world is stupid. Tracking CAP's is pretty much impossible. Thanks god for capgeek.com.

Old
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
bigbaddbruins

flames did great, upped your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
Look deeper...Flames have TOO many players now...
you guys picked up 4 fowards who are capable of scoring 20 or more goals. ian white is a very good d man who has just as many points as phanef and a plus 1 playing on the second worst team in the league. guaurenteed you will be syked to have him and your d wont be much worse than phaneuf

for the fowards dont look at kotalik and higgind numbers this year, look at years past. they are great fowards who just wernt adjusting in new york. the problem with calgary is you didnt have enough good fowards and now you can pull out three really good lines, on top of your d which mark my words white isnt to far behind white, which you all will realize ,so you lost a minimum amount of d for two very good fowards in hagman and stajan. hagman is on pace for 32 goals 20 assists and the 26 year old stajan is on pace for 60 points.
conroy may be sucking now, but he has good passing skills and playing in between these new wingers i feel his numbers will rise dramatically.

jokinin and phaneuf are two big name players, but it just wasnt enough with the rest of the players you had. you added players in positions that will make the players you still have even better throughout 3 lines, and add mayers who is a great shutdown man that with adding glencross,dawes, or moss can even make the best 4th line the best in the league who can put up goals.

i am 100 percent bruins fan, but i had to mention how much better of a team you are. to all the naysayers to this post, watch and learn in this case more is better

bigbaddbruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Grinder/energy guy. Good on the cycle. Will fight pretty much anyone. I'm sure he'll be a fan favorite in New York.

Jokinen has been pretty frustrating for us flames fans this season. He's hit a ton of metal as well this season.
Sounds good, pretty much a permanent 4th line guy though? Does he ever play on the pk?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
flames123

Quote:
Sounds good, pretty much a permanent 4th line guy though? Does he ever play on the pk?
Hell no.

Old
01-31-2010, 11:06 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 50
Quote:
No, strictly a 4th liner.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaddbruins View Post
you guys picked up 4 fowards who are capable of scoring 20 or more goals. ian white is a very good d man who has just as many points as phanef and a plus 1 playing on the second worst team in the league. guaurenteed you will be syked to have him and your d wont be much worse than phaneuf

for the fowards dont look at kotalik and higgind numbers this year, look at years past. they are great fowards who just wernt adjusting in new york. the problem with calgary is you didnt have enough good fowards and now you can pull out three really good lines, on top of your d which mark my words white isnt to far behind white, which you all will realize ,so you lost a minimum amount of d for two very good fowards in hagman and stajan. hagman is on pace for 32 goals 20 assists and the 26 year old stajan is on pace for 60 points.
conroy may be sucking now, but he has good passing skills and playing in between these new wingers i feel his numbers will rise dramatically.

jokinin and phaneuf are two big name players, but it just wasnt enough with the rest of the players you had. you added players in positions that will make the players you still have even better throughout 3 lines, and add mayers who is a great shutdown man that with adding glencross,dawes, or moss can even make the best 4th line the best in the league who can put up goals.

i am 100 percent bruins fan, but i had to mention how much better of a team you are. to all the naysayers to this post, watch and learn in this case more is better
Very good post. BTW tho, Dawes plays on the 2nd line and was on pace for 50pts but hit a speed bump in the last 2 months.

Old
01-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Tonka
Diggles

You guys are getting Kovalchuk...I can just feel it.

Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:11 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka View Post
You guys are getting Kovalchuk...I can just feel it.
I'm think Vinny L or B. Richards...

Old
01-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Fire Brunet*

what would you do if he traded iggy?team would lose its identity
Id like Iggy in Montreal<3 Sutter if you hear me...
Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:17 PM
3rdEye
@HawnzDynasty

I want Mike Richards!! Getzaf would be nice too.

One thing is for sure is CGY is looking for a top line center. No ****ing way we can go with Langkow, Stajan, Conroy, Boyd, Mayars

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:19 PM
poolio88

Quote:
I'm think Vinny L or B. Richards...
Ya im with you on Vinny....maybe something with him and Antero Niittymaki, hes a UFA and a much better back up for kipper and a fellow fin....just an idea...

poolio88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
matter2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Not a fan of Kotalik at all, and an even less fan of trading Prust in this deal. I don't like this one.

Well, people called for Sutter to shake this team in the midst of that 9 game losing streak, and we got it. Wow, a completely different team tomorrow night against the Flyers. Interested to see how these new guys will fit in.
As a Sabres fan, I can tell you Kotalik is a very frustrating player to watch over a season. He has talent, but should be a lot more effective than he is. He has a booming one timer from the point on the power play and is one of the best shootout players in the NHL, but other than that, he doesn't offer much. Goes invisible for many games at a time, and does not play physical, although he has the size to do so. If he played with more effort on a consistent basis, he could be a 25-30 goal scorer and have 65-75 points a year.

Unfortunately what you end up getting is a player you always wish you could get more from...

matter2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Noori

What is Sutter doing?

Well, I guess by the trade deadline we'll know if he's a genius, or if needs to be institutionalized. I don't want to give up Joker for crap like Higgins and Kotalik.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

What a terrible, terrible day.

The Sutter honestly think that blowing up the team mid season will actually lead to anything good? You would have thought he would have learned his lesson last year about disrupting team chemistry when he acquired Jokinen.

Jokinen's been bad, yes, but this trade is beyond awful.

Sutter needs to go.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Suter to MacInnis

This is the worst day to be a Flames fan that I can remember if that Jokinen deal is as reported.

Kotalik's contract is as bad as Sarich's. Higgins is a UFA

Black Sunday

Suter to MacInnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Phaneuf+Jokinen+Sjorstrom+Aulie+Prust for Kotalik+Hagman+Stajan+White+Mayers+Higgens

Wow just wow.

WTF is sutter doing, is he trying to tank?. This is going to make canucks vs flames games boring as hell, without Dion there.

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 01-31-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote