HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we keep Poni now?

Old
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
Poni is our 2nd best forward. We've already lost so much offence today. Doubt we'd get a 1st round for him.
We won't get a 1st for him if Antropov only got us a 2nd. I would love to have Antro right now, but apparently Burke didn't feel the same way...

Kessel-Antropov-Poni

So much open ice, nice set up man for Kessel...Oh well....

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Poni seems like a burke like player, I don't know why we always talk of dealing him

Hero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Azumi*

Why does Kulemin never get a permanent top-ix role? Just read the practice lines, and he is together with Wallin and Finger I think..

I don't get it. We should be trying to develop offense from the guy, not delaying his offensive development in a throw away year.

Ron Wilson really annoys me sometimes.

Last edited by Azumi*: 02-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Azumi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Bleed Blue and White

I would like to keep him, if it is for the right price, however, Burke has said that he wants to give his scouts something to do in the first two rounds of the draft, so perhaps trading poni was his idea of recooping the 2nd rounder? I doubt stempy will get us a 2nd.... and exelby certainly won't.

Bleed Blue and White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I don't disagree, like I said it'll be dependent on how the young players that are auditioning, play out.

And it will come down to Ponikarovsky's demands. With Ponikarovsky being the top goal scorer on the team now, his demands may go up.
True, I am hoping we can get him signed for 3 mil a year for 2-4 years, 12 mil for 4 year? We could even front load it so he gets his money, 6mil, 3mil, 1.5mil, 1.5mil (I am pretty sure it can go like that no more then half drop from year to year?). There is no other team where he would get 6 mil for next year. Plus if we wanted to trade him near the end I am sure a team with an internal budget would love to have a player like Pony and only pay 1.5mil a year in salary.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
After seeing this thread again, I reiterate:

**** NO!

Scoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Burkeburger*

I hope he's gone... never thought he was a guy who can win something for us. He is experienced, but it doesn't show on him in anyway. So why keep him? Let him go.

We need canadians. Real, canadians.

Burkeburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wheels

I was all in favour of trading him before we ridded ourselves of any depth up front.

If they can't re-sign him before the deadline, yes, trade him, but I'd be trying to bring him back for maybe 3 more years. We can't have 5 guys with 1-2 seasons of NHL experience in our top six.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Pierre Gotye

I wouldn't give up Poni unless he can be packaged with Finger or Exelby to fetch a 1st rounder.

I say keep him. He's a legimite 23-25 goal scorer, can give you 50 points, goes in the corners, uses his body and goes to the net. We don't have many of those guys. He has also proven he can steadily be placed on any line.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
selltrade

Will end up with 25 goals, but will want 4 million next year like his friend Nik got in Atlanta. He's gone for a 2nd

selltrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:53 PM
rumman

Poni's a goner come deadline day.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Transplanted Caper

We Need To Rebuild And Develop Our Own Players! Stay Away From Ufa!

I Know Lets Trade Poni For A 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
leafsfuture

This is the problem with this franchise. We believe that the old folks werent good enough, when in reality, it was the old folk who got us the closest to the playoffs.

Poni is just as good if not better then just about any winger that will be available, minus Kovy. Why risk a downgrade. I mean we traded Kubina, but ended up downgrading for Komi. We traded Antropov and unded up downgrading by resigning Grabo

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

it would be hard to imagine him gone, seeing as hagman and stajan and blake are gone, but i really do think hes gone.

Burke is tearing it down, and rebuilding it. He's said he wants to add a 1st round pick, and I think he will do what he can to get one.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
I'm not sure, I think aquiring Aulie kind of helps with the second round pick part of the deal. So a 2nd isn't as needed.

I'd easily send him to a team for a prospect that can be ready in a couple years max as opposed to a draft pick with a unknowledge timeline of development.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I ws all for keeping him if they could get rid of Blake or Hagman. They got rid of both, so I guess he can stay, but seeing what Burke turned those other plugs into, I'd like to see what he can do next.

If Burke trades him for a 2nd, I'd love to see a <$1 000 000 player come back too. A throw in who fits the bottom 6 mold of BB. Kinda like Shoestring, or whatever his name is.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
HockeyAustralia

Trading poni doesnt make our offense better.

HockeyAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

**** NO!

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Mr_Fun
phil kesel fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

**** NO!
I agree.

I don't dislike Poni, but I think this team needs a complete face lift. Poni and Kabs should be traded, ASAP.

Mr_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Dutch Dreams

I'd been on about ridding ourselves of Ponikarovsky ever since the emergence of Stalberg, and especially Kulemin; but, Kulemin has developed quite an independent role for himself with his versatility. So, it really boils down to whether Stalberg can step it up, and from what I've seen he just can't right now. I'd really like to re-sign Ponikarovsky for between 2.5/3.0 at 2/3 years. The guy is really in his prime and has established a great level of consistency both in production, and in impactful play, not to mention how durable the guy is. He really is an important part of this team. Stalberg is still at least a year away in my opinion. He's signed into next season, so if he can improve his consistency overall, toughen-up a little, and finish.. then he definitely could complement, even substitute Poni soon.

Having said that, he could definitely fetch us an ok return; at least a 2nd and +.... I wouldn't have this though. Only way this guy goes is if we can get a similar, almost NHL-ready prospect that can rotate with Stalberg if need be, AND the 2nd to draft another Poni. Of course we could just deal him and have him sign with us in the off. I don't like those deals though haha. You see, it's difficult anyway, because Poni is nicely developing into a 50/60 point player for us, while Stalberg or any prospect we could get in a trade or draft would most likely not even be ready for the NHL or be a 30 point guy, 3rd line guy. We need top-six men, and Ponikarovsky is one. Kulemin is aspiring, I see him in a top-six role next season definitely, but Stalberg does not replace Ponikarovsky, no way - not right now.

Last edited by Dutch Dreams: 02-02-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Call of the loonie

If Burke is offering 2.5/3m for 2 or 3 years then Ponikarovsky will just wait for July 1. This is the guys one chance for a big payday and he will sign for either big $ or a long term. And I think that if J.Mitchell is "NHL ready" than Stalberg sure as hell is too.

edit - He is one of a few players left from a team that was content being not quite good enough. I say good riddance.

Call of the loonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue and White View Post
I would like to keep him, if it is for the right price, however, Burke has said that he wants to give his scouts something to do in the first two rounds of the draft, so perhaps trading poni was his idea of recooping the 2nd rounder? I doubt stempy will get us a 2nd.... and exelby certainly won't.
What do you think Stemps will fetch? How about your 4th back and a low level prospect?

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
I would like to keep him period. He's a good player, not yet 30 and I don't think getting rid of him gets us much of a return.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
so far stalberg is a ahler

don' count your chickensb4 the eggs have hatched

I think burkes offense needs to take a ride on our trusted and beloved lil poni

Leaf Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
so far stalberg is a ahler

don' count your chickensb4 the eggs have hatched

I think burkes offense needs to take a ride on our trusted and beloved lil poni
Word, for next season I'd like to see the reuniting of the Poni-Grabo-Kule line as our second.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote