HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Do we keep Poni now?

Old
02-03-2010, 10:02 AM
mbrooks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dreams View Post
Word, for next season I'd like to see the reuniting of the Poni-Grabo-Kule line as our second.
That second line will find the leafs right back in the position they are currently in.

near or at the bottom of the eastern conference.

mbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:08 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Ponikarovsky looked like a dead man walking in yesterdays game.

02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
After seeing this thread again, I reiterate:

**** NO!
I'm with you, keep turning over the roster.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrooks View Post
That second line will find the leafs right back in the position they are currently in.

completely agree 2/3rds of that line should hopefully be playing elsewhere next year, if a contract for reasonable $$$ can be agreed on, I'd love to see Kulemin stick, but with the KHL offering big $$$, I'd be leery of not trading him if overpayment can be attained, I'm thinking Pittsburgh might want him to play with Maulkin.

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:00 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

Don't you think that will depend on who is on the 1st line? and on the 3rd line. That line is as productive as most teams 2nd lines around the league.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
completely agree 2/3rds of that line should hopefully be playing elsewhere next year, if a contract for reasonable $$$ can be agreed on, I'd love to see Kulemin stick, but with the KHL offering big $$$, I'd be leery of not trading him if overpayment can be attained, I'm thinking Pittsburgh might want him to play with Maulkin.
Pittsburg management has to be as asute as you, in knowing what his contract will be. If the threat of a big contract is there, Pitt can't afford him and won't trade for him. Kulemin came here for a reason, and you have to sign him for what he is worth. You can't always worry about the KHL. If Kuli, Poni and Grabo are your 2nd line and score 60-70 goals, the team will be ok, providing the 1st line is productive.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:27 PM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Pittsburg management has to be as asute as you, in knowing what his contract will be. If the threat of a big contract is there, Pitt can't afford him and won't trade for him. Kulemin came here for a reason, and you have to sign him for what he is worth. You can't always worry about the KHL. If Kuli, Poni and Grabo are your 2nd line and score 60-70 goals, the team will be ok, providing the 1st line is productive.
OK, in your opinion, what's Kulemin worth?

rumman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Dutch Dreams

Quote:

Unfortunately, I'm speaking realistically... Burke signed Grabovski to a multi-year deal; he's not going anywhere. He'll be in his third full season in the NHL and should be improving. Ponikarovsky is a steady force on the second and Kulemin I can see scoring 20-25 goals next year. Like, who would you replace these guys with? These guys are right here, right now... and frankly I don't see much better options; realistic at least. Bozak will most likely continue as a fill-in on the first, so then you've got Grabovski... the line's had success. Stajan is no longer here... Kadri doesn't look to be too ready for any permanent position on the club.. You hope to see 2/3rds of these guys gone??? Who's going to replace them? Mitchell? Stalberg? THAT's when you'll see us in the position you are talking about. Like DYNE said, the line can put up 60-70 goals.. about the production of any second line..we've gotta work with what we have, and these guys are the best options right now.. I suggest you propose something better

The real dilemma is the first.. if Bozak and Kessel are tops, which alternate scorer do you place on the left?? Because, as I've said; Kulemin/Ponikarovsky are better suited on the second with Grabo due to their previous success together, not mention their individual talent. Just can't keep wishing we were better and treat our players as garbage, they are useful and shipping everybody out of here will not solve anything.. We're not like Chicago where we already have good players, and if we want even better ones we can just trade the ones we don't like

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
MrPiff17
Bay St. Bullies

Consistantly 20+ goals and 30+ assists per year and a + player, what else can we ask for? We don't expect him to be a top 10 point getter in the league, he is a perfect role player, and does all the dirty stuff for the team like go to the net, and work the boards, Def resign him, unless he asks for more than 3 mil

MrPiff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
sounds like edm or pit will get him

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Dutch Dreams

Edmonton was rumoured to be in the hunt if they were in playoff position.... they're currently last in the league. I don't see anything Pittsburgh could get us worth Ponikarovsky, anything they would be willing to give up anyways...

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiff17 View Post
Consistantly 20+ goals and 30+ assists per year and a + player, what else can we ask for? We don't expect him to be a top 10 point getter in the league, he is a perfect role player, and does all the dirty stuff for the team like go to the net, and work the boards, Def resign him, unless he asks for more than 3 mil
Have to agree. The guys a sold second-line player. Tearing up the whole roster isn't necessary. It's not the fault of the second line or the third line that this team sucks. It's the fact that we don't have a first line. We're stuck with Grabovski for a couple years. Ponikarovsky can pretty much play anywhere on the roster. Those two have both had a bit a chemistry together. Might as well maximize the assets we have (Grabovski) by retaining Ponikarovsky to play with him.

Plus I think he'll come cheaper than any other player with similar production.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

No, trade him like we did Stajan & Hagman! Never liked Poni and never liked Stajan

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Ponikarovsky looked like a dead man walking in yesterdays game.
He really did. The camera cut to him for a moment while he was sitting on the bench and he looked like he was in a completely different world.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

I wouldn't. The guy played with energy last night, but he almost never does. I think he's lazy.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
No, trade him like we did Stajan & Hagman! Never liked Poni and never liked Stajan
same.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote