HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Rangers need to foster a winning attitude

Old
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Olympic nut

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The Rangers need to foster a winning attitude

(This is tangental from the "have the Rangers improved" thread, so I thought I'd start a new thread, rather than clutter up the older one).

Some posters on the board chime in every so often that it would be better if the Rangers suck for the rest of the season so that they can get a higher draft pick and maybe into the lottery.

I can't disagree more. The Rangers need to foster a winning attitude from top to bottom in the organization and that they can't do that if it's acceptable to lose late in the season.

I think Detroit and New Jersey are two great examples of teams who are able to maintain a high level of success year after year, despite not having high draft picks to work with. The main way they do this is by good drafting, but even more, by making it clear that losing is never acceptable. They expect to win every game.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:57 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, then this is the man we need

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Well, then this is the man we need
I'm not sure Gary Coleman is the answer to our problems...

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
(from the other thread) Detroit was horrendous until they sucked enough to draft Yzerman and Federov. Credit their scouts and gm for Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterburg but they benefited from the draft lottery as much as anyone.

You got me on Jersey, though. They have a plan, a mission statement and the guts to see it through. They understand the importance of buying into the team concept while maintaining a winning and constructive atmosphere. Cancers are cut away. Losers are jettisoned. Of course, it's not hard to stick to the plan when you have a good GM.
You're right that Detroit used to suck, but it was almost 20 years ago that they sucked, well before the draft lottery. Yzerman was picked at #4, when they were REALLY bad and played for several years before they became good. Federov was a 4th-round pick. Things really picked up for them around the same time Yzerman discovered himself as a leader.

The last time the Devils were really bad was essentially in the '80s, and they had several years of being a 1st, 2nd-round playoff team before they took the Rangers to 7 games in '94 and they haven't looked back since, though several coaches and lots of different lineups.

Of course, you're absolutely right about the GM...

Old
02-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Nick00

It's hard to maintain a winning attitude if you're not good enough to be a winning team.
The Rangers aren't talented/well constructed enough to hold high expectations and they all know it.
Hence the cycle of mediocre effort.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Yeah.

The winning is the hardest part of that statement.

And BTW...

Gary Coleman IS what this team needs!!!

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
I see London, I see France... I can see a bit more than underpants...

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:06 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Gary Coleman IS what this team needs!!!
We're small enough!

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
It's hard to maintain a winning attitude if you're not good enough to be a winning team.
The Rangers aren't talented/well constructed enough to hold high expectations and they all know it.
So what, you give in to it? All that does is ruin the young players you're hoping to rebuild with. The idea is not that you win every game, it's that you go in to every game going 100% to win it and never accept a loss. I think it goes beyond the coaches and through to every member of the organization. This gets into the players and eventually you reach a point where a team can become more than the sum of its parts.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
We're small enough!
What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?

Anyway, I know a lot of people don't want Mess, but he's a winner and would do a lot more to promote that in the organization than Glen Sather.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Kinda agree. What about Pitt and Chicago though.

They both tanked.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Coleman's got spunk though.

lol

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick00 View Post
Yup, Lundqvist recognizes this:

Quote:
"We are what we are - we're not a top team," the goaltender said. "We are in the pack there, we're right in the middle and we're going to fight for the last couple spots in the playoffs. I know I have to play my best hockey right now for this team to have a chance."
They are better off admitting that they are not that good instead of deluding themselves into thinking that they are a great, winning team. The players shouldn't be satisfied by merely making it to the playoffs-- the goal is to win the Cup.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
(This is tangental from the "have the Rangers improved" thread, so I thought I'd start a new thread, rather than clutter up the older one).

Some posters on the board chime in every so often that it would be better if the Rangers suck for the rest of the season so that they can get a higher draft pick and maybe into the lottery.

I can't disagree more. The Rangers need to foster a winning attitude from top to bottom in the organization and that they can't do that if it's acceptable to lose late in the season.

I think Detroit and New Jersey are two great examples of teams who are able to maintain a high level of success year after year, despite not having high draft picks to work with. The main way they do this is by good drafting, but even more, by making it clear that losing is never acceptable. They expect to win every game.
Agree 100%. We already have a bunch guys up that should be a part of the team for the foreseeable future and we're going to need them to be winners. People complain about the team seeming soft and not competitive, well then saying it's okay to tank is just going to make the next group like that too.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Kinda agree. What about Pitt and Chicago though.

They both tanked.
Pittsburgh tanked to get Mario Lemieux (and it's part of the reason I don't like that team too much), who is a once-in-a-generation talent. Sure it worked for them, but it still took them several years.

I guess with Chicago the jury's still out (in that they're good this year, but have yet to win a Cup). I did think that their contract screw-ups last offseason were a bit of poetic justice!

In addition, I think the Rangers are further along the path than either of these teams were when they were really bad. The emergence of Lundqvist, Staal and Del Zotto plus guys like McDonough, Bobby Sangs and maybe Heikkinen and Sauer soon ready to step in on the blueline gives a good base for the defensive side of the game.

A lot depends on the Rangers recent drafting of forwards. If Stepan and Krieder work out and guys like Horak and Hagelin can fill in on the 3rd or 4th lines, they could join a still in his prime Gaborik, Dubinsky and Callahan to form a pretty solid core.

The Rangers would still need to add some scoring talent, but it wouldn't do them much good to make these players believe that they don't want to win.

Old
02-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Nick00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
So what, you give in to it? All that does is ruin the young players you're hoping to rebuild with. The idea is not that you win every game, it's that you go in to every game going 100% to win it and never accept a loss. I think it goes beyond the coaches and through to every member of the organization. This gets into the players and eventually you reach a point where a team can become more than the sum of its parts.
It sounds simple in theory but considering how they've been struggling this year, plus whatever "outside negativity" that Torts and several players have mentioned, team morale must be pretty low at this point.
We forget that these guys are human just like we are, they're very self-aware and not immune to all of the criticism surrounding them.
I would speculate that everyone in that locker room understands that they're a poorly constructed team that would be unable to do much in the playoffs this year.
When you have a group of players who are mentally not the toughest bunch to begin with, that can really take it's toll and show it's effects on the ice.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Agree 100%. We already have a bunch guys up that should be a part of the team for the foreseeable future and we're going to need them to be winners. People complain about the team seeming soft and not competitive, well then saying it's okay to tank is just going to make the next group like that too.
What a comment.

You know who the winners tend to be? The best players. The players we have? Most of them aren't the best. Continuing to play mediocre hockey will not only continue to produce more mediocre results, but more mediocre hockey players.

And the next group wouldn't have anything to do with this group. This group would be doing the "tanking." By and large, this group blows, and most of them need to go anyway. As does the guy who brought them here.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Yup, Lundqvist recognizes this:

They are better off admitting that they are not that good instead of deluding themselves into thinking that they are a great, winning team. The players shouldn't be satisfied by merely making it to the playoffs-- the goal is to win the Cup.
Yep. Notice you never hear in camp or pre-season from management and players how they want to be the last team standing? Or anything that suggest be a champion?

Now listen to winning organizations(Yankees, Devils etc...) talk. It's totally different.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I'm pretty positive the players are not tanking.

However, as a fan, I want a player like Fowler anchoring the defense for the next 10+ years.

Therefore, tank.

Also...on a side note... KOVALCHUK.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
What a comment.

You know who the winners tend to be? The best players. The players we have? Most of them aren't the best. Continuing to play mediocre hockey will not only continue to produce more mediocre results, but more mediocre hockey players.

And the next group wouldn't have anything to do with this group. This group would be doing the "tanking." By and large, this group blows, and most of them need to go anyway. As does the guy who brought them here.
So Lundqvist, Staal, Gilroy, MDZ, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov aren't part of your long term plans?

How many years are we "tanking" for under your plan?

Old
02-02-2010, 05:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Did I mention... Kovalchuk?

Old
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Did I mention... Kovalchuk?
Won't it be easier to convince him to come here if we're coming off a playoff birth rather than a lotto pick? The guy will have just left the thrashers I think he will want to go to a winner.

Old
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
So Lundqvist, Staal, Gilroy, MDZ, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov aren't part of your long term plans?

How many years are we "tanking" for under your plan?
That's not even half a team. Sure, they're part of my plan, but when you don't even have 10 guys that you're going forward with, it's a signal that there's still a long way to go. Especially when just one of them is a top line forward.

Another first round exit isn't going to do much to turn them into winners. Take a look at how much last year is helping this year. Real winning attitude, right?

And we don't need to "tank" for very long. Just long enough to get a legitimate offensive weapon or two. Without one, we're going nowhere.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:07 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I think he would want to go to a combination of these:

Who pays him.
Who has long term franchise health.
Who pays him.
A winner.
Who pays him.

There are not many teams who will be able to afford him beyond this season.

The only team with the cap space and is on the verge of being a winner is Los Angeles. Who I feel is the fron runner both in trade and in FA.

However...

New York, Brighton Beach, MSG, money, and a solid farm system could entice him if we free up the cap space.