Notices

What do we do with Colton Gillies?

Old
02-01-2010, 03:00 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
What do we do with Colton Gillies?

By now, it's painfully obvious he isn't going to be a finisher in the NHL. TT mentioned in a blog posting that he doesn't see Gillies getting more than 24 goals in the NHL, more like 10 (way to talk up your prospects TT!) goals a year. We have pretty much a full team of grinders and checkers (thank you DR) and that is pretty much what Gillies looks like at this point (3 goals...THREE GOALS!?).

Unlike Pouliot, Gillies showed hard work and a great attitude but he didn't have the skills and so he's not as 'valuable' to other teams like Pouliot was. He hasn't completed busted like Sheppard. But the problem is, what do we do with a guy that your top scouting director says has the upside of a 4th liner winger?

Personally, I would kick him out to defense and have him skate there. At least then you got a smooth, rough and tumble defenseman that you don't expect a ton of goals from.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

As cliche as it sounds, I'm not completely ready to write off Gillies as a failed project and try a position change.

The kid is just about set to turn 21 in a handful of days. He's got a few more years to work on his game and see where that leaves him. Yes, he's not going to be a strong scorer in all likelyhood. But he could find a niche as a power forward once he grows into his frame a little more. Sure, power forward type players are not as glamorous, but every team needs them. You'd be better off working with his few strengths and see where that leaves you, than completely starting anew with him at this point.

It is what it is, really. This is the crap situation Fletcher is left with to clean up. Hopefully a few years down the line he can turn this prospect pool around.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
He could certainly score more than 10 goals in a NHL season. However, it always depends on linemates and how receptive he is to change. I gave Sheppard another shot in big leagues, I'll give this kid a shot if he ever gets it again. However, with how this team is positioning itself, I don't really see a whole lot of callups coming any time soon.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
The Blue Llama

If you look at the type of team fletch is building, Gillies sounds like the type of guy you would use for depth. If he turns his game into a hard nosed grind it out type of player then he would fill said depth position. IMO i think thats the only way CG will be able to hold a roster spot, its just up to him to be a role player. But id say if he still doesn't pan out and want to give a last chance, then ya test him out at D. nothing to loose at that point.

The Blue Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Captain_Cunney

Move him in a package to get Brian Lee out of Ottawa. 2 prospects that need a chance of scenery.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:54 PM
saywut

Let him find his game in Houston. We have a GM with a brain now, so he doesn't have to worry about being in the NHL when he isn't close to being ready.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Move him in a package to get Brian Lee out of Ottawa. 2 prospects that need a chance of scenery.
Would he really fit in that situation though?? I wouldn't mind seeing Gillies and Burns go to the Sens, but the thing is....there isn't a whole lot up there that I really want in Minnesota. Spezza and Aflie are off limits. Cheechoo's contract is too high for what he brings. Kovalev is on the last leg anyways. Fisher isn't going to leave. So really who else is left that could fill the void that the Wild are need of??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Would he really fit in that situation though?? I wouldn't mind seeing Gillies and Burns go to the Sens, but the thing is....there isn't a whole lot up there that I really want in Minnesota. Spezza and Aflie are off limits. Cheechoo's contract is too high for what he brings. Kovalev is on the last leg anyways. Fisher isn't going to leave. So really who else is left that could fill the void that the Wild are need of??
What about Picard? He could be somewhat of a version of Johnnson or Zidlicky when one of them is gone next year?

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

How would this deal work for the Wild?

To Wild:
N. Foligno
B. Lee
J. Winchester
K. Daugavins

To Senators:
A. Brunette
C. Gillies
Toss-In/Scrub

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
What about Picard? He could be somewhat of a version of Johnnson or Zidlicky when one of them is gone next year?
Picard, Campoli are both very available I'd assume.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 29943
We knew from draft day Gillies was not going to be a scorer. And if you didn't know that then you weren't paying attention. Hence why a lot of people were po'ed that we gave up a second to pick him. It sounds like he is progressing just fine in Houston. If he turns into a Wes Walz that can bang, I'm fine with the pick. You can't have a roster full of scorers. You need players that keep the other team FROM scoring. Gillies ain't broke.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2010, 01:38 AM
J22

Right now Gillies is a bigger faster Brodziak. While i wouldnt have used a 1st and 2nd rounder to get Brodziak it doesnt mean Gillies wont be a valuable NHL player.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Karlssonlee

Hey Sens Fan here,

Just wondering whether management would consider turning him into a defenseman much like Burns. They are similar in the sense that they are are big, good skaters, and responsible defensively. I dunno just wondering what you guys thought.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Hey Sens Fan here, Just wondering whether management would consider turning him into a defenseman much like Burns. They are similar in the sense that they are are big, good skaters, and responsible defensively. I dunno just wondering what you guys thought.
I don't think that will happen. You need a certain mentality (and some smarts) to be a blueliner. Burns had that because he played some played D in Juniors before being converted. I see Gillies only as forward.

So far Gilles plays like we expected. He's a big, fast guy who forechecks hard ... He just needs to improve on two things that don't come easy; Hands and Hockey sense.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Hey Sens Fan here,

Just wondering whether management would consider turning him into a defenseman much like Burns. They are similar in the sense that they are are big, good skaters, and responsible defensively. I dunno just wondering what you guys thought.
No. Burns played D the majority of his mid-teen years. Gillies played a few games in the WHL at D in an emergency situation. Burns also possesses a much harder shot.

Gillies was drafted for the same reason Burns was, the staff thought very highly of big players with great(in the later rounds this was downgraded to good/average) skating ability. When Burns moved to D they felt they needed to replace him in the system at forward.

Gillies will be an NHL forward. He just needs to regain his shattered confidence and realize the role he will play at the next level. He's 6'4 with great speed and work ethic, you teach the guy to use his stick/frame and there isn't a player in this league he won't be able to give fits to. Shutdown winger who throws his 6'4 body around on the fore-check. Gillies - X - Clutterbuck, teams won't like seeing that in a few years.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
He's 6'4 with great speed and work ethic, you teach the guy to use his stick/frame and there isn't a player in this league he won't be able to give fits to. Shutdown winger who throws his 6'4 body around on the fore-check. Gillies - X - Clutterbuck, teams won't like seeing that in a few years.
Exactly. The Wild don't have a real shut down line any more, but it used to be fun watching Walz and Laaksonen fly around out there and do a good job of frustrating the other teams' top lines. I'd say the top end for Gillies would be as a premier shut-down winger. On the low end, as a energy guy who can cause some mayhem and give his team an energy boost. Either way, there will be a 3rd or 4th line slot open to him down the road.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 12:46 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Gilies was rushed

He should have played one more year in the WHL. Last year. This year should be his first in the AHL. He has a few more years.

I think the wild got spoiled with JL and DR having a now or never attitude with draft picks. We are falling into a team that will let players not ready for the NHL, not play in the NHL. In two years Gillies better be on his way then i will be worried.

What a waste of an extra pick though. That really stings.

Now Sheppard. Simular thing. One more year junior. One AHL. This should just be his fist NHL season. Or first call up season.

Gillies is young enough to turn around. Sheppard, like Pouliot, just needs change.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote