HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#2]

View Poll Results: #2 Red Wings Prospect
(F) Joakim Andersson 0 0%
(F) Cory Emmerton 0 0%
(F) Landon Ferraro 5 9.62%
(F) Jan Mursak 7 13.46%
(F) Gustav Nyquist 5 9.62%
(F) Mattias Ritola 1 1.92%
(D) Jakub Kindl 25 48.08%
(D) Brendan Smith 9 17.31%
(G) Daniel Larsson 0 0%
(G) Thomas McCollum 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
jacK

vCash: 500
Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Rankings [#2]

RWC's updated rankings: link
r0bert8841's prospect tracker: link
previous polls: [#1]

so, Tomas Tatar's fast start not only keeps him in the pros instead of the juniors, but it earns him the title of HF's DRW posters' #1 prospect.

again, tell us your pick for #2, tell us how/why you arrived at that choice, and tell me who you want added for the next poll.
added for round 2: Mattias Ritola.

Results:
#1 - (F) Tomas Tatar - 45.45%

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
voted Kindl.

add Nestrasil

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
zackisonfire*

While Kindl hasn't shown much progression this season he's still got all the raw tools to have high-end potential. I've got him ahead of Smith for no other reason than Kindl will play with Detroit next season.

Add Lashoff.

zackisonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
zecke26

voted kindl

add adam almqvist

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Franzenstein

Send a message via AIM to Franzenstein
Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
voted kindl

add adam almqvist
Exactly, voted Kindl.....I like Almqvist.

Franzenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
doublejack

I went outside the box and voted for Mursak. I voted that way because I'm worried that Kindl has stagnated and isn't ready for the NHL (even though he'll probably be on the roster because he's out of waiver exemptions). Kindl has the upside, but will he ever put it together? I'm not so sure.

Mursak, though, has taken some big steps this season. He'll spend another year in Grand Rapids, but he's looking like the fast, scoring winger he was projected to be when we drafted him.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Whats the story with Dick Axelsson is the organization done with him?

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
caseygraves
Don Cherry apologist

vCash: 214
Ritola, just because he was called up.

caseygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Fugu

vCash:
It's still Smith.

Old
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Kindl has too many drawbacks and question marks. Smith has a big hole in that he has no defense.

I voted Mursak, he's always had the tools and I think he's now starting to show his true colors. A solid top-6 winger in the making.

1. Tatar
2. Mursak

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Kindl has too many drawbacks and question marks. Smith has a big hole in that he has no defense.

I voted Mursak, he's always had the tools and I think he's now starting to show his true colors. A solid top-6 winger in the making.

1. Tatar
2. Mursak
mursak has the same question marks as others. i mean, he's not even close to be dominant in the AHL. he looks good at times, but he's not yet consistent. that would be the next step. and he's still very soft. so he's 2-3 years away from challenging for a spot in detroit.

Old
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I missed out on round 1. I would have voted for my boy Mursak but Tatat is a good choice as well. I got Mursak for this round. Add nestrasil, pyett, or pare.

r0bert8841 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:22 PM
r0bert8841

Quote:
mursak has the same question marks as others. i mean, he's not even close to be dominant in the AHL. he looks good at times, but he's not yet consistent. that would be the next step. and he's still very soft. so he's 2-3 years away from challenging for a spot in detroit.
Put mursak with other skilled players he will be over ppg. How often do you see playmakers as good as mursak have such an absurd goal to assist ratio.your right about him being 2 or 3 years away though, but that has more to do with strength in my opinion. With Mursak you don't really see any negatives like Kindl's turnovers.

OT but thier is a youtube of Mursak in a fight earlier this month. Pretty sweet stuff.

Old
02-01-2010, 04:33 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Well, Mursak only has one year of waiver exemptions remaining. So if he's not on the roster in 2011-12, we'll probably lose him.

He is on the soft side for sure. Part of it is just his style. I've seen him take hits, but he definitely isn't a physical player. Part of it is that he's still filling out and needs to add some muscle to his frame.

When I've seen Kindl lately, he still looks like the raw diamond in the rough he was a few years ago. That's what has me worried about him. Will the mental side of the game come to him? If so, how long will it take? Will he ever bloom into the top four d-man he projected as?

I think Mursak will be fine with another year of AHL experience and a few more pounds of muscle. At least I'm seeing positive steps. I can't say the same about Kindl.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:

1. Tatar
2. Mursak

Says who? The last comment on RWC is about a year old. While he may need to go pro to develop further, that's a far cry from saying he has huge hole.

Kindl:
http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/kindl.php

Quote:
While a strong argument could be made that Kindl is the Red Wings’ No. 1 prospect — and many within the organization would probably make it — RWC expected the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Czech to cut down on mistakes in his own zone, assert himself more physically, and contribute more offensively.
Quote:
Prone to frustrating, untimely giveaways coming out of the defensive zone ... Decision-making and hockey sense continues to be a concern ... Struggles with inconsistency ... Despite excellent size, isn't the imposing physical force that he could be.
Projections for the two players are somewhat similar as well. Kindl had a higher CSS ranking, but as you know, the Wings took him far sooner than others expected (which is a good prognosis).

Sounds like he might need some work on the hole in his D.

Old
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Anchor Town

voted smith because i feel he has more upside than kindl. add kosolov

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:36 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
I don't think Mursak necessarily has the same question marks as others. They're different than most. And fewer. And while he may be a year behind Kindl in terms of making the Wings, I don't hold it against him, especially since he was drafted a year later anyway.

Mursak has gained a good amount of strength the past couple seasons, and continues to do so, so I don't see that being a problem going forward. The only real question is consistency, but he's a very hard worker, so that works to his benefit. Kindl has consistency issues too. He also has mental/competency, offensive, and physical (given his size) issues. Being a year closer to Detroit doesn't really make up for all that, imo.

Old
02-01-2010, 06:47 PM
r0bert8841

Now that I am home

Old
02-01-2010, 06:53 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Says who? The last comment on RWC is about a year old. While he may need to go pro to develop further, that's a far cry from saying he has huge hole.
Says me I've watched him play many games in his Wisconsin career, including this season. His defense, while improved since his freshman year, is often unacceptable for the NCAA ranks, to say nothing of how that would translate to the pros. Badgers fans mostly say the same thing. He has a long way to go in his own end.

Don't get me wrong, I like Smith. I think he's a top-5 Wings prospect and I liked the pick at the time. You can't teach the skill he has. The defense you can teach, and I'm banking on him learning it well enough to be an NHLer. But right now, defensively, he's about as raw as a fresh canker sore. And since many players never do learn the defensive side well enough, I think it's a big question mark for him. At least big enough for me to rank him below Mursak

Quote:
Kindl:
http://www.redwingscentral.com/prospects/kindl.php

Projections for the two players are somewhat similar as well. Kindl had a higher CSS ranking, but as you know, the Wings took him far sooner than others expected (which is a good prognosis).

Sounds like he might need some work on the hole in his D.
I do like Kindl too, but he has a lot to put together yet, and it's getting late in the game for him. I'm by no means writing him off, but I think it's safe to say he hasn't progressed as well as originally expected.

Old
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I saw him play here recently, and felt that he was very solid on both ends of the ice.

That's fine. It's not like he's going to start on the Wings next year, so we have time to "reassess" our assessments.

Old
02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Filppula
Jurks

I voted Nyquist, his upside is huge.

But Kindl and Mursak are thereabouts.

Mursak is underrated. He's not weak, he's a finisher, he can certainly dish the puck so his low assist total isn't reflective on his set up skills. Physical, responsible defensively, plays on the PP and PK, amazing speed, he's got it all. He could definitely be a top 6 winger in Detroit.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:48 PM
zecke26

Quote:
I don't think Mursak necessarily has the same question marks as others. They're different than most. And fewer. And while he may be a year behind Kindl in terms of making the Wings, I don't hold it against him, especially since he was drafted a year later anyway.

Mursak has gained a good amount of strength the past couple seasons, and continues to do so, so I don't see that being a problem going forward. The only real question is consistency, but he's a very hard worker, so that works to his benefit. Kindl has consistency issues too. He also has mental/competency, offensive, and physical (given his size) issues. Being a year closer to Detroit doesn't really make up for all that, imo.
well, it's true that one year doesn't make much of a difference. i'm just not sure about mursak's potential. is he a legit top6er or just another hudler? at least his development is getting forward now. he looks so much different compared to last year.

kindl, well...i never liked him and he's so inconsistent. at times he looks so impressive and the next moment he screws the play. if he gets it together though he might be something really good. but that's a big if for sure. i just don't know if mursak can top that potential.

Old
02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
zecke26

Quote:
I saw him play here recently, and felt that he was very solid on both ends of the ice.

That's fine. It's not like he's going to start on the Wings next year, so we have time to "reassess" our assessments.
i guess you simply watched the wrong guy.

when i watched him my first thought was "fugu will love him" because he had so many brainfarts, it looked like lilja in his "prime". simply like someone who will make you scream to your TV.

the good thing is that he has enough hockey sense to save a lot of those situations. he really saved his butt sometimes. but he needs to stop with that stuff in the NHL.

Old
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
r0bert8841

Quote:
well, it's true that one year doesn't make much of a difference. i'm just not sure about mursak's potential. is he a legit top6er or just another hudler? at least his development is getting forward now. he looks so much different compared to last year.

kindl, well...i never liked him and he's so inconsistent. at times he looks so impressive and the next moment he screws the play. if he gets it together though he might be something really good. but that's a big if for sure. i just don't know if mursak can top that potential.
In my opinion, the only difference between Hudler and a young Datsyuk is speed. Mursak is possibly one of the fastest players on the Griffins if not the AHL. Mursak looks alot like a young Datsyuk. Or a more skilled version of Helm. Actually during the first half of the season when Mursak was in an energy role he did looked alot more like skilled version of Helm

Old
02-01-2010, 09:11 PM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

Quote:

Part of what makes prospects so interesting is the subjectivity of their nature. There are so many variables, many of which are unknown, that it's impossible to always agree. Personally, I think Mursak can easily be a top-6 guy. If Hudler had the size/strength or speed, he'd easily be top-6. Mursak doesn't have the size/strength, but he does have the speed. Lots of it.

Kindl may have a higher ceiling, I don't know. If he does, I would suspect it's negated by the likelihood of him reaching it being less than Mursak reaching his. Just my take.