Notices

Deadline Decisions; What's your move?

Old
02-01-2010, 02:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
Deadline Decisions; What's your move?

We all realize that this first deadline under a new regime could be very important to the future of the Minnesota Wild. The moves Fletcher and company make will hopefully distinguish themselves from Risebrough's short comings over his tenure.

With that said, what would you do if you were in Fletcher's shoes. Who do you move and who do you retain? Here's what you have to work with:

Pending UFA's:
Kim Johnsson, D - 4.85
Marek Zidlicky, D - 3.35
Owen Nolan, W - 2.75
Eric Belanger, C - 1.75
Derek Boogaard, W - .875
Shane Hnidy, D - .75
John Scott, D - .50
-------Total Cap space= 14.975

Players who may draw interest:
Andrew Brunette, W - 2.33 (Deal Expires in 2011)
Antti Miettinen, W - 2.33 (Deal Expires in 2011)
James Sheppard, C/W - 1.4 (RFA)
Josh Harding, G - 1.1 (RFA)*
-------Total Cap space= 7.16

Other who will likely remain:
Mikko Koivu, C - 3.25 (Deal Expires in 2011)*
Chuck Kobasew, W - 2.33 (Deal Expires in 2011)
Brent Burns, D - 3.55 (Deal Expires in 2012)
Greg Zanon, D - 1.833 (Deal Expires in 2012)
Kyle Brodziak, C - 1.15 (Deal Expires in 2012)
Niklas Backstrom, G - 6.00 (Deal Expires in 2013)
Pierre-Marc Bouchard, W - 4.08 (Deal Expires in 2013)
Nick Schultz, D - 3.50 (Deal Expires in 2014)
Martin Havlat, W - 5.00 (Deal Expires in 2015)
Guillaume Latendresse, W - .803 (RFA)*
Cal Clutterbuck, W - .725 (RFA)*
Andrew Ebbett, C - .50 (RFA)*
Robbie Earl, W - .55 (RFA)*
-------Total Cap space= 33.271
2009/2010 Salary Cap= 53,772,793
* Denotes due a slight raise, at minimum

This is my preference:
Pending UFA's:
Kim Johnsson, D
-- Interest in re-signing him: HIGH
---Contract: 3 years, 4.0/season
----Return in a trade: 2nd Round Pick + fairly highly regarded prspect
Marek Zidlicky, D
--Interest in re-signing him: NONE-MILD
---Contract: 3 years, 2.5/season
----Return in a trade: 2nd/3rd Round Pick + decent prospect depending on the pick to compensate
Owen Nolan, W
--Interest in re-signing: NONE
---Contract: N/A
----Return in a trade: 3rd Round Pick or prospect of that value
Eric Belanger, C
----Return in a trade: 2nd/3rd Round Pick + decent prospect depending on the pick to compensate
Derek Boogaard, W
----Return in a trade: Yester-year hockey memorabilia
Shane Hnidy, D
--Interest in re-signing: MILD
---Contract: 1 year, .750
----Return in a trade: 4th Round Pick
John Scott, D
----Return in a trade: Pack of Juicy Fruit?

Players who may draw interest:
Andrew Brunette, W
---Willingness to move him: LOW
----Return: NHL ready player~ winger with scoring upside or a #2 center upside
Antti Miettinen, W
---Willingness to move him: MILD
----Return: 2nd Round Pick + NHL ready player~ winger with scoring upside or a #2 center upside
James Sheppard, C/W
---Willingness to move him: HIGH
----Return: Similar struggling player, much like Latendresse/Pouliot deal
Josh Harding, G
---Willingness to move him: LOW-MILD
----Return: 2nd Round Pick + NHL ready player~ winger with scoring upside or a #2 center upside

(Try not to crucify me too much on what I'd like to see in return for some of these guys. Just ball-parking it.)

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Jbcraig1883

Because I don't want to make the mistake of overvaluing, I will simply do what Providence did, followed by something that I would like to happen, but probably couldn't. So, please don't call me as a homer as I'm not saying these are equal value-wise. I'm trying to help Providence and this forum get some more chatter!

Trade Johnsson to BUF for Stafford

Trade Zidlicky to OTT for Brian Lee+2nd

Trade Nolan to SJ for Ferriero.

Trade Sheppard/Harding to DAL for Niskanen.

Trade Belanger to NJD for D prospect, Brandon Burlon or 2nd round pick.

Trade Boogaard to TOR for 4th round pick.

Realistically,

Re-sign Johnsson for 3 years 3.8-4

Trade Zidlicky for puck-moving defensive prospect that can step in +2/3rd pick.

Trade Nolan for 3/4 pick.

Trade Belanger for 2nd, or package with Nolan for 2nd tier prospect that has top-6 potential, preferably a centerman.

Cuma, Scandella, and Falk are probably 1-2 years away, best-case scenario. Leddy is 3-4 years. Noreau may get a shot but we need Johnsson...otherwise our transition game will be quite poor next year.

Burns takes Zidlicky's spot on 1st pp. Burns can do everything Zidlicky can, plus can play better defense and be more physical. Only problem with Burns is inconsistency and potential for concussions. And a trade to get a guy like Lee who can be groomed to hopefully be a part of the defensive core when Cuma/Scandella/Leddy hopefully become NHLers.

More draft picks from Nolan.

Same from Belanger.

Or, hopefully find someone that can emerge as a #2 centerman for Lats/Havlat.

------------------------------------------

With that said, guys that I'd like to get but I don't know if we have the UFA assets+Shepp/Harding to get any of them...but for conversation purposes...

Stafford

Mike Weber

Brandon Burlon

Brian Lee

Ben Lovejoy

Oskar Osala

Jakub Kindl

Matt Niskanen

Peter Mueller

Benn Ferriero

(Patrick O'Sully)--He does play a perimeter game but I'd like to see him between Lats and Havlat+ play wall on 2nd powerplay.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

I only have one that I'd like to see happen that I can think of at the moment. I may be way off base here, straighten me out if necessary.

To TOR
Nolan
Scott OR 3/4

To MIN
Ponikarovsky

Nolan is a UFA and getting older. Poni is still only 29. It looks pretty one sided in favor of MIN but lately TOR HAS been shipping out their offense and Poni's name has come up.

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatsFan48 View Post
I only have one that I'd like to see happen that I can think of at the moment. I may be way off base here, straighten me out if necessary.

To TOR
Nolan
Scott OR 3/4

To MIN
Ponikarovsky

Nolan is a UFA and getting older. Poni is still only 29. It looks pretty one sided in favor of MIN but lately TOR HAS been shipping out their offense and Poni's name has come up.
Not that I am Brian Burke by any means but it wouldn't make sense for him to pickup Nolan, considering it is very unlikely they will make it to the playoffs. My understanding is that the Maple Leafs need young talent, not more UFAs. It would almost be like us getting Mike Modano for a younger/more offensive Belanger. It wouldn't help us today or in the future.

I would bet that Nolan goes to a team that is a lock for the playoffs, and lacks depth on the wing.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Who do you think would be the best forward, or the one that could help us most, that we could realistically and REASONABLY get at the deadline?

Old
02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
BigT2002

Brunnette will retire a Wild, flat out. So you can take him off the "he could be traded" The dumbest decision DR ever made was letting him go to Colorado. Not because he lights it up, but because he just has been a huge pice of this team for so long and the direction it has undertook.

Schultz, Burns, Bouchard, Belanger, Sheppard, Hnidy, Johnnson, Harding, and Nolan are the only players I could foresee us trading at the deadline. And we probably won't with Bouchard because his stock is basically nill at this point because of injuries, they'll wait until he's healthier before they let the sharks peck at him.

What I would like to see in return:

if we go playoffs

We've proven we can win games without pretty much those guys listed based on the core players we have. Havlat-Brodziak-Latendresse are a proven chemistry line. Mittens-Koivu-Brunnette are a proven line. Its that third and forth line which are the biggest issues when it comes to consistent play. I firmly believe when Kobasew comes back that Clutterbuck's play will step up along with probably Nolan. We need to get another solid 20 goal scorer on the team which we can rely on if someone's game goes to hell. At this point, that doesn't exist for this team, as its been proven when one of the two scoring lines flatlines. Defense could be bulked up, but I would rather see a #2 center, or a Top 6forward in general come this way.

Would be amazing to trade Burns for Jordan Staal though IMO

we don't make the playoffs

Firesale the UFA's and rebuild with what we can get out of the prospects and picks. We will suck the next year, but in the long run would probably be the best thing for us.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Hey guys. I came in here to make my own thread, but figured I would just post in here.

As an Ottawa Senators fan I'm interested in a few of your players and wondered what it would cost to aquire them? The main players I'd be interested in would be Owen Nolan, Andrew Brunette, Marek Zidlicky and Kim Johnsson.

Pieces that would be available from the Sens point of view would be Alex Picard, Brian Lee, Jonathon Cheechoo, Draft picks (not our first) and maybe prospects, but I can't see the organization trading any of their offensive ones which doesnt help Minny.

Also, would you be willing to take on the last year of Cheechoo's contract if we sweetened the pot a bit?

Basically just looking for something that could work.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Gilligans Island

great thread - keeps all us non-Wild fans in one place ;-)

From this Sharks fan, our interest is (in order)

Burns (unlikely, I know, but still our #1)
Johnsson
Zidlicky (probably more likely than Johnsson due to lower cap hit)
Nolan (only if Clowe is dealt somewhere - otherwise, not really necessary given the assets likely to acquire him)

For either Johnsson or Zidlicky, we could give up

Prospects: Joslin, Ferreiro, Zalewski or Mashinter
&
2nd or 3rd round pick

For Burns, sounds like it'd start w/ Setoguchi and that wouldn't happen until the offseason once the Sharks sort out their FAs (Marleau and Pavelski, namely)

Edit: McGinn (possibly, but that would have to be for Burns or possibly Johnsson. For Zidlicky, he'd be too much, I think.)

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Brunnette will retire a Wild, flat out. So you can take him off the "he could be traded" The dumbest decision DR ever made was letting him go to Colorado. Not because he lights it up, but because he just has been a huge pice of this team for so long and the direction it has undertook.
I wasn't nessessarily saying it'd be a great idea to move him. What I was more or less trying to convey is that Brunette will likely garner fairly significant interest. So, while I agree his a huge part to this team and their success, if a team offers up a significant return I'd hope the Wild at least listen.

Quote:
Would be amazing to trade Burns for Jordan Staal though IMO
Where do I sign? I'd be all for it.

Quote:
Firesale the UFA's and rebuild with what we can get out of the prospects and picks. We will suck the next year, but in the long run would probably be the best thing for us.
I tend to agree. However, if Johnsson isn't going to garner a decent enough return, I hope the Wild explore trying to get him re-signed sort of around the framework of what I posted in my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stempniaksen View Post
Hey guys. I came in here to make my own thread, but figured I would just post in here.

As an Ottawa Senators fan I'm interested in a few of your players and wondered what it would cost to aquire them? The main players I'd be interested in would be Owen Nolan, Andrew Brunette, Marek Zidlicky and Kim Johnsson.

Pieces that would be available from the Sens point of view would be Alex Picard, Brian Lee, Jonathon Cheechoo, Draft picks (not our first) and maybe prospects, but I can't see the organization trading any of their offensive ones which doesnt help Minny.

Also, would you be willing to take on the last year of Cheechoo's contract if we sweetened the pot a bit?

Basically just looking for something that could work.
I wouldn't mind Lee plus a pick for Zidlicky. I think something around that could be worked out depending on Zidlicky's interest around the league.

I think Nolan could be had for a fairly reasonable return. I'm not exactly sure what you'd be willing to part with for him, though.

As for Cheechoo, eh, hard to say. Never been much of a fan of him. I think the Wild would consider taking him on if they go into rebuild mode if they're given enough incentive. Would the Sens be willing to take Pierre-Marc Bouchard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
great thread - keeps all us non-Wild fans in one place ;-)

From this Sharks fan, our interest is (in order)

Burns (unlikely, I know, but still our #1)
Johnsson
Zidlicky (probably more likely than Johnsson due to lower cap hit)
Nolan (only if Clowe is dealt somewhere - otherwise, not really necessary given the assets likely to acquire him)

For either Johnsson or Zidlicky, we could give up

Prospects: Joslin, Ferreiro, Zalewski or Mashinter
&
2nd or 3rd round pick

For Burns, sounds like it'd start w/ Setoguchi and that wouldn't happen until the offseason once the Sharks sort out their FAs (Marleau and Pavelski, namely)

Edit: McGinn (possibly, but that would have to be for Burns or possibly Johnsson. For Zidlicky, he'd be too much, I think.)
I'm a fan of Ferreiro so I'd take him over all the other prospects listed. However, I'm not so sure I'd give up Johnsson for the Sharks' 2nd and him, though. I think Johnsson holds more value than that. I'd be interested in something like that for Zidlicky, but I'm not so sure how that would work out value wise in Sharks fan's perspective...

I'd be all for a deal centered around Burns and Seto. This team desperately needs a player like him on this squad. I think in the off-season would make sense for both squads. You stated the Sharks' thinking. In a Wild perspective, it gives Burns the remainder of the season to evaluate him.

Old
02-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I'm a fan of Ferreiro so I'd take him over all the other prospects listed. However, I'm not so sure I'd give up Johnsson for the Sharks' 2nd and him, though. I think Johnsson holds more value than that. I'd be interested in something like that for Zidlicky, but I'm not so sure how that would work out value wise in Sharks fan's perspective...

I'd be all for a deal centered around Burns and Seto. This team desperately needs a player like him on this squad. I think in the off-season would make sense for both squads. You stated the Sharks' thinking. In a Wild perspective, it gives Burns the remainder of the season to evaluate him.
For Zidlicky, maybe Ferreiro and a 3rd. For Johnsson, besides Ferreiro and a 2nd, what else would the Wild want? There may be something here still.

Seto, like Burns, needs the rest of the season to gauge his real value. He hasn't had Big Joe to dish him passes and hence, his scoring's down. In a way, that's good for the Sharks b/c it increases the likelihood he'll re-sign cheaper than he was projected to be re-signed for (at the start of the season, he was comp'ed against Kessel, ouch). It's looking more likely that he'll get a 1 yr, $2.5-2.75 deal to "prove" himself. That'll help the Sharks immensely.

As for Burns, he'd be an ideal replacement for Blake as a true #2. Hopefully, he continues his recovery. He looked good on Saturday (aside from Pavelski's goal).

Gilligans Island is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:57 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
For Zidlicky, maybe Ferreiro and a 3rd. For Johnsson, besides Ferreiro and a 2nd, what else would the Wild want? There may be something here still.
It's hard to say, really. The major factor being because that Johnsson holds so much value to this team. He plays in every situation here, is their shut-down defenseman, and vital to their transition game.

Like I've said before in this thread, ideally I'd like him to be re-signed. As for what could be done to improve on the 2nd + Ferriero proposal, I'm not sure. Do the Sharks having any movable pieces that they'd be willing to upgrade on it? While the Wild do need to replenish their prospect pool, I feel that can be done mainly on other deals for UFA's. I'd like to see Johnsson return a solid asset if he was moved. As for what the Sharks would be willing to do, I couldn't tell you from my perspective.

Quote:
Seto, like Burns, needs the rest of the season to gauge his real value. He hasn't had Big Joe to dish him passes and hence, his scoring's down. In a way, that's good for the Sharks b/c it increases the likelihood he'll re-sign cheaper than he was projected to be re-signed for (at the start of the season, he was comp'ed against Kessel, ouch). It's looking more likely that he'll get a 1 yr, $2.5-2.75 deal to "prove" himself. That'll help the Sharks immensely.
Fair enough. I've been a huge fan of Setoguchi since he came in the league. So whatever comes of him, hope it works out for you guys.

Quote:
He looked good on Saturday (aside from Pavelski's goal).
That's our main issue with him. He'll look strong for the most part, but will make some careless plays along the way that make you scratch your head.

Old
02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Lee plus a pick for Zidlicky. I think something around that could be worked out depending on Zidlicky's interest around the league.

I think Nolan could be had for a fairly reasonable return. I'm not exactly sure what you'd be willing to part with for him, though.

As for Cheechoo, eh, hard to say. Never been much of a fan of him. I think the Wild would consider taking him on if they go into rebuild mode if they're given enough incentive. Would the Sens be willing to take Pierre-Marc Bouchard?
No interest in Bouchard to be honest, he would add even more to the Sens cap troubles than a guy like Chechoo would. And I feel like Cheechoo would be a better fit in the bottom six if he cant recover (which he cant).

What about something like this?

Brian Lee + Ryan Shannon + 2nd in 2010 + 3rd in 2010

for

Marek Zidlicky + Owen Nolan

This is only if you guys decide to become sellers at the deadline of course.

Old
02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
BigT2002

Sens fans: Fisher is about the only thing really appealing you are going to be willing to let go because we all know Spezza and Alfie are not going anywhere

Sharks Fans: Seto

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 10:04 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Sens fans: Fisher is about the only thing really appealing you are going to be willing to let go because we all know Spezza and Alfie are not going anywhere

Sharks Fans: Seto
Fisher has a NMC for the next 2 years of his contract and is happy in Ottawa, I can't see him waiving.

And I could understand if we were asking for Burns or something, but UFA's like Zidlicky and Nolan won't be traded for Fisher.

Old
02-01-2010, 10:18 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
No interest in Bouchard to be honest, he would add even more to the Sens cap troubles than a guy like Chechoo would. And I feel like Cheechoo would be a better fit in the bottom six if he cant recover (which he cant).
Understandable.

Quote:
What about something like this?

Brian Lee + Ryan Shannon + 2nd in 2010 + 3rd in 2010

for

Marek Zidlicky + Owen Nolan

This is only if you guys decide to become sellers at the deadline of course.
The Wild wouldn't have any interest in Shannon. Lee and the picks are tempting for the pair, but I'm not sure if it'd get it done depending on the interest league wide for Zidlicky and Nolan. From a personal standpoint, I'd consider it but feel the Sens may need to add a bit more for the Wild to actually make that move.

Old
02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Understandable.

The Wild wouldn't have any interest in Shannon. Lee and the picks are tempting for the pair, but I'm not sure if it'd get it done depending on the interest league wide for Zidlicky and Nolan. From a personal standpoint, I'd consider it but feel the Sens may need to add a bit more for the Wild to actually make that move.
I get that and it makes sense. I honestly fully expect Murray to get one of Johnsson or Zidlicky before the Olympics start, but would prefer he go with a guy like Nolan. Either way it should be an interesting month with ongoing speculation from lots of teams.

Old
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I get that and it makes sense. I honestly fully expect Murray to get one of Johnsson or Zidlicky before the Olympics start, but would prefer he go with a guy like Nolan. Either way it should be an interesting month with ongoing speculation from lots of teams.
Would Nolan for Lee and a 3rd work or is the pick too much?

I could see Lee replacing Hnidy very nicely on the 3rd D pairing next year. The Wild could have:

Johnnson-Schultz
Burns-Zanon
Lee-Stoner

All 3 pairs would have a guy with puck moving skills, and a guy with stay at home skills.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:57 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
Would Nolan for Lee and a 3rd work or is the pick too much?
In my own opinion I think Lee is too much. He doesn't seem to fit into Murray's plans though, so I could see something like that happening.

What I would prefer to see is one of these...

Cheechoo + Lee + OTT 2nd + OTT 3rd for Brunette (Although I doubt Wild fans sign off)
or somthing like O'Brien + 3rd/4th for Nolan

Old
02-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Well, it'd be nice to get Bruno back but we know that ain't happening.

If the Avs were to go rental (and I kind of hope they don't) I would definitely be interested to see if Zidlicky could help our flagging power play. Not sure what we could offer in return (Liles? Naw...you don't want him). I keep thinking Sheppard could be a nice 4th line center/3rd line winger for us but I'm just not sure.

It'd be nice to somehow wrest Harding from you but I doubt that deal ever happens.

The one and only time the Avs made a deal with the Wylde that I can remember was snagging Darby Hendrickson and a pick that ended up being Brandon Yip in exchange for a 4th rounder. Hendrickson ended up being a solid role player for the Avs during his brief stint so I certainly can't complain about that deal, unlike the 20 or so we have made with our other division rival.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Fisher has a NMC for the next 2 years of his contract and is happy in Ottawa, I can't see him waiving.

Unless we persuaded Carrie to move to Minny

Old
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Quote:
Unless we persuaded Carrie to move to Minny
Please do, because then we can have Burn

Old
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Lifer

What about Picard? Other sens fans have mentioned him possibly being shipped off.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:

To TOR
Nolan
Scott OR 3/4

To MIN
Ponikarovsky

yea because that deal would make perfect sense from a toronto point of view, right?

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
In my own opinion I think Lee is too much. He doesn't seem to fit into Murray's plans though, so I could see something like that happening.

What I would prefer to see is one of these...

Cheechoo + Lee + OTT 2nd + OTT 3rd for Brunette (Although I doubt Wild fans sign off)
or somthing like O'Brien + 3rd/4th for Nolan
of course you would prefer that...but the conversation wouldn't last long with murray.

WILD: "we here you have some interest in Andrew Brunette."

SENS: "yes, we would very much like to add his skill and veteran leadership to our playoff run. what would it take to get him?"

WILD: "i was thinking a 2nd, a 3rd, Brian L--"

click.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:45 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
of course you would prefer that...but the conversation wouldn't last long with murray.

WILD: "we here you have some interest in Andrew Brunette."

SENS: "yes, we would very much like to add his skill and veteran leadership to our playoff run. what would it take to get him?"

WILD: "i was thinking a 2nd, a 3rd, Brian L--"

click.
Should have said Cheechoo first.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote