HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Value of Coburn to Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2010, 03:50 PM
  #1
Fisher For Selke
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Value of Coburn to Ottawa

He'd been struggling this season for the Flyers but i think he'd be great on a pairing with Chris Phillips. what would it take to land him?

Fisher For Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
  #2
ELab2
Registered User
 
ELab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,348
vCash: 500
He'd need to be replaced and that means Volchenkov. I'd add more, but I don't expect Ottawa to part with him while they're playoff bound

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
  #3
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher For Selke View Post
He'd been struggling this season for the Flyers but i think he'd be great on a pairing with Chris Phillips. what would it take to land him?
Preferably a young, cheap winger with a decent amount of potential in the offseason. Not so sure what the team would need to replace him if this happened before the deadline, but we'd definitely be short on the blueline.

You can't ask the world for someone who has struggled a lot this season. I would hate to see him go though since I'm confident he will rediscover his form.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:57 PM
  #4
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Maybe this off season something with Leclaire and Coburn, if Emery doesnt want to stay.

Or Volchenkov if he doesnt want to stay in Ottawa.

Foligno maybe

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
  #5
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Jared Cowen very likely joining the lineup next season makes Coburn redundant. They're essentially the same player. Most Sens fans expect Murray to resign Android anyway.

As for value, Leclaire could be an option, as stated above. Foligno is also a good idea, though it would be a shame to let him go.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM
  #6
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher For Selke View Post
He'd been struggling this season for the Flyers but i think he'd be great on a pairing with Chris Phillips. what would it take to land him?
I'd have to get Karlsson, Cowen, Regin or Lehner and a relatively high pick, say a second rounder.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:04 PM
  #7
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I'd have to get Karlsson, Cowen, Regin or Lehner and a relatively high pick, say a second rounder.
I don't mean to invade this thread or anything, but that's just ludicrous.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
  #8
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I don't mean to invade this thread or anything, but that's just ludicrous.
I don't think one of the four, plus a second is ludicrous. I'm not asking for all four and a pick.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:11 PM
  #9
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I don't think one of the four, plus a second is ludicrous. I'm not asking for all four and a pick.
Obviously. But Karlsson has shown this season that he will almost certainly be a far better defenceman than Coburn, barring a serious injury. As for Cowen, he's already been described as a Coburn-Chara hybrid. Before his knee injury, he was said by many to be in the same class as Hedman. All opinions aside, though, Murray would never trade either of them for Coburn, let alone throwing in a high draft pick.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
  #10
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Obviously. But Karlsson has shown this season that he will almost certainly be a far better defenceman than Coburn, barring a serious injury. As for Cowen, he's already been described as a Coburn-Chara hybrid. Before his knee injury, he was said by many to be in the same class as Hedman. All opinions aside, though, Murray would never trade either of them for Coburn, let alone throwing in a high draft pick.
That's a terrible joke. Coburn may be having an off year, but he has proved a whole lot more than Karlsson has.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
  #11
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,596
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
  #12
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 16,136
vCash: 500
I see a a draft day deal going. Didnt an unsigned Eminger get a first? We could probablly grab a first for Coburn. Something along the same deal.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
  #13
McNasty
Registered User
 
McNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rutgers
Country: United States
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
The two don't make very good trading partners. Flyers can't spare a defenseman, and with both of them in the hunt it wouldn't make any sense for one of them to make a deal where they receive picks and prospects.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
  #14
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Obviously. But Karlsson has shown this season that he will almost certainly be a far better defenceman than Coburn, barring a serious injury. As for Cowen, he's already been described as a Coburn-Chara hybrid. Before his knee injury, he was said by many to be in the same class as Hedman. All opinions aside, though, Murray would never trade either of them for Coburn, let alone throwing in a high draft pick.
You mean the 11 points and -5 rating Karlsson has? I don't think 39 games shows a whole lot. If Cowen was in Hedman's class, wouldn't he be playing in Ottawa, like Hedman is in Tampa.

Considering that Coburn has had success in the NHL, it's not a ridiculous price. If it's refused, great. But that is what I would ask for.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
  #15
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,482
vCash: 505
I want A-Train

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
  #16
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Maybe this off season something with Leclaire and Coburn, if Emery doesnt want to stay.
If Coburn is going for Leclaire, the Flyers better get a high draft pick or two. Leclaire just cannot stay healthy and honestly, he's not that good of a goalie to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Or Volchenkov if he doesnt want to stay in Ottawa.

Foligno maybe
I doubt Coburn lands either. If anything, the Flyers would probably get back a guy like Picard or Kuba plus a draft pick.

There just isn't a market for 6'5 underachieving defenseman who has all the physical ability in the world, but just doesn't have the brain to tie it all together.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:30 PM
  #17
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I see a a draft day deal going. Didnt an unsigned Eminger get a first? We could probablly grab a first for Coburn. Something along the same deal.
Yeah, but how many other GM's drink as much as Homer did that night? I'm convinced he lost that pick in a bet.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
  #18
Manny*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
You mean the 11 points and -5 rating Karlsson has? I don't think 39 games shows a whole lot. If Cowen was in Hedman's class, wouldn't he be playing in Ottawa, like Hedman is in Tampa.

Considering that Coburn has had success in the NHL, it's not a ridiculous price. If it's refused, great. But that is what I would ask for.
Cowen missed months with a serious injury. Rehabilitation is not instantaneous. Besides, Bryan Murray stated that Cowen would be NHL ready by November, and believes that he is. Ottawa has an overabundance of defencemen, including two rookies. There was no need for Cowen in the lineup.

As for Karlsson, I suggest you watch some of the upcoming Sens games. He's been on fire, and is easily the most entertaining player on the team. His point totals are very misleading, as he's been one of our best defencemen along with Phillips and Volchenkov.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
  #19
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Cowen missed months with a serious injury. Rehabilitation is not instantaneous. Besides, Bryan Murray stated that Cowen would be NHL ready by November, and believes that he is. Ottawa has an overabundance of defencemen, including two rookies. There was no need for Cowen in the lineup.

As for Karlsson, I suggest you watch some of the upcoming Sens games. He's been on fire, and is easily the most entertaining player on the team. His point totals are very misleading, as he's been one of our best defencemen along with Phillips and Volchenkov.
Again, a handful of NHL games-which I'm going to use as a loose interpretation of "lately"-doesn't mean he's better than Coburn or that he will be better. Cowen might not be able to step in and be as effective off the bat as you expect, either.

Anyhow, my answer to the question was given, you don't like it, great...I move on.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
  #20
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Karlsson is very good guys. I would much rather have him than Coburn

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:50 PM
  #21
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,482
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
I'd have to get Karlsson, Cowen, Regin or Lehner and a relatively high pick, say a second rounder.
Regin is about your only hope there. No reason to trade any of those other guys if you're Ottawa.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
  #22
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Karlsson is very good guys. I would much rather have him than Coburn
Nobody ever said he wasn't very good, but the way he suggested that Karlsson was a sure-fire home run was a little arrogant.

As I have said recently, this season will define Coburn's next contract, not his career.

Anyway, the Flyers have plenty of defensive prospects. I see no reason to go hard after more right now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
  #23
Scoopyten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Regin is about your only hope there. No reason to trade any of those other guys if you're Ottawa.
I'm aware, but if I ask for the moon, maybe somebody will be dumb enough to give it.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:39 PM
  #24
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I want A-Train
Me too.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:03 PM
  #25
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 114,482
vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Me too.
He won't be available now, but I'd be willing to sell out for him in July.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.