HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2006 We Hardly Knew Ye - 2/1/10 - Canes at Edmonton Oilers - 9:30 PM, FS-Carolinas

Old
02-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
2006 We Hardly Knew Ye - 2/1/10 - Canes at Edmonton Oilers - 9:30 PM, FS-Carolinas

Less than 4 years ago Carolina and Edmonton battled for Lord Stanley in one of the most entertaining Finals in recent years. Together we have a combined 1 playoff appearance since, and today we meet as the 28th and 30th ranked teams in the NHL. While the Canes are hot for really the first time all season, the Oilers could tie a franchise losing streak record tonight, and have yet to win in 2010. Edmonton has the most man games lost to injury in the NHL, while Carolina has the 3rd most.

Since we have a few extra hours before this west coast game, I'll throw something else out onto the table. I have recently realized that I am growing to detest Canada, and I'm not sure it's justified, nor is it a feeling that I desire to have. I have several friends that are Canadian, and have met many others. Everyone I have ever met from Canada has been awesome. I love so much about the country. But then I go on the Internet and read articles like this one today (http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/2/1/...t-the-gate-and) and get confused. Which is the real Canada? My personal experiences, or the hatefulness that we seem to see in forms such as this every time we play a Canadian team?

I love rivalries in sports and the "hate" between fan bases. But this isn't about the game, nor is it in good spirit.

There, that should generate a few pages of discussion before we get to game time.

@

(19-28-7, 45 pts) | (16-31-6, 38 pts)
14th in the East | 15th in the West
6-4-0 in last 10 | 0-9-1 in last 10
Only meeting of the season

WHEN:
Monday, February 1, 2010, 9:30 PM EST

WHERE:

Rexall Place - Edmonton, Alberta

HOW:

FS-CR
PPV (HD)
99.9 The Fan

POSSIBLE LINEUPS:

CAROLINA

Ray Whitney - Eric Staal - Jussi Jokinen
Tom Kostopoulos - Matt Cullen - Sergei Samsonov
Jiri Tlusty - Brandon Sutter - Patrick Dwyer
Stephane Yelle - Rod Brind'Amour

Joni Pitkanen - Aaron Ward
Tim Gleason - Niclas Wallin
Andrew Alberts - Brett Carson

Cam Ward
Justin Peters

EDMONTON

Dustin Penner - Sam Gagner - Robert Nilsson
Patrick O'Sullivan - Ryan Potulny - Gilbert Brule
Ethan Moreau - Shawn Horcoff - Fernando Pisani
Mike Comrie - Andrew Cogliano - Zack Stortini

Lubomir Visnovsky - Denis Grebeshkov
Tom Gilbert - Taylor Chorney
Alex Plante - Jason Strudwick

Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers
Devan Dubnyk

INJURIES AND SUSPENSIONS:

CAROLINA
Joe Corvo (thigh, questionable)
Erik Cole (upper body)
Scott Walker (shoulder)
Tuomo Ruutu (upper body)
Chad LaRose (upper body)

EDMONTON
Sheldon Souray (hand)
Nikolai Khabibulin (back)
Ales Hemsky (shoulder)
Steve Staio (concussion)
Ladislav Smid (concussion)
Ryan Stoner (knee)

STATISTICS:
CAROLINA TEAM EDMONTON
54 GP 53
19 W 16
28 L 31
7 OT 6
45 P 38
0.417 P% 0.358
2.63 G/G 2.51
3.18 GA/G 3.40
18.0 PP% 19.0
79.6 PK% 73.9
29.0 S/G 28.6
31.3 SA/G 31.6
49.3 FO% 47.2

Edmonton board GDT: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=732553

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 02-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
AllStarAnton

I've lurked here for years and years with very few posts, but I do have to reply to that question:

As one of (maybe the only) Canes fan in Edmonton, who'll be at the game wearing his "Champions - 06" jersey tonight, let me assure you that stupid articles like that one don't speak for the populace. That's a poorly written, badly researched entry by a guy who's still bitter about 2006. I've been to the RBC Center, on a trip that I took entirely to see a Canes game, and I love the fans in Carolina. They're passionate, and a tremendous amount of fun.

So, don't let things like that bother you. Generally, we Canadians are mostly harmless, but there's a few like that around. We try and avoid them, 'cos they're sad and bitter that a team that isn't from Canada has won a cup. Given that there hasn't been a Canadian winner in some time, the number of them keeps going. But most of us know better.

Was that enough discussion? In closing, GO CANES!!!!

AllStarAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

If you read the "article," i recommend reading the comments. They take the "writer" to task pretty hard.

One commenter noted, paraphrasing "I fail to understand why market success is defined by sellouts by some." Ding, ding, we have a winner. In what bizarre world is 92% attendance/ capacity a problem? People who write drivel like this should go back and look at the attendance on any of a plethora of successful pro sports franchises from the 1970's to the present-day. Plenty were average draws in their sport. You didn't hear about it because...no one cared. If the team is making enough money to keep the ownership happy, who cares if it is 92% instead of 97%.

In the end, the only point here is that hockey is not as popular here as it is in the NHL Canadian cities. No, really? Alert the media.

Which everyone already knows. So where's the story?

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

So RDU is the 22-24th size market depending on who you listen too and we are consistently around 18-20 in attendance... So in theory we are doing better than our market size suggests... Not to mention, we are the ONLY market set to almost double in the next 20 years... That guy is an ignorant jerk and my e-mail let him know exactly what I thought of him

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

This guy should go write for the Daily News. He'll excel at their style of journalism (ie, Brandon Dubinsky overheard saying he didn't like his pasta and chicken last night and being contradicted by Henrik Lundquist, who liked his = headline "Dissension in the Ranger Locker Room - Dubinsky, King Henrik At Odds!!!.").

Old
02-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
So RDU is the 22-24th size market depending on who you listen too and we are consistently around 18-20 in attendance... So in theory we are doing better than our market size suggests... Not to mention, we are the ONLY market set to almost double in the next 20 years... That guy is an ignorant jerk and my e-mail let him know exactly what I thought of him
I started to do the same, but guys like this measure their success by the noise they generate, the more they stir the pot the more they seem successful. Speaks volumes that some consider that helping sell product.

Wonder why there are serious issues in journalism (what's left of it) these days?

Old
02-01-2010, 05:17 PM
canesnecu

Obviously a slug fan disguised as a Canadian. What other fans are obsessed with how many sell outs there are around the league, especially in the SE.

pfffft

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Since we have a few extra hours before this west coast game, I'll throw something else out onto the table. I have recently realized that I am growing to detest Canada, and I'm not sure it's justified, nor is it a feeling that I desire to have. I have several friends that are Canadian, and have met many others. Everyone I have ever met from Canada has been awesome. I love so much about the country. But then I go on the Internet and read articles like this one today (http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/2/1/...t-the-gate-and) and get confused. Which is the real Canada? My personal experiences, or the hatefulness that we seem to see in forms such as this every time we play a Canadian team?
It isn't justified. How can you judge a nation based on the media? No doubt a lot of useless drivel is written within the U.S. as well. I'd say follow your personal experiences. Not sure why you're even questioning those.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:22 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
It isn't justified. How can you judge a nation based on the media? No doubt a lot of useless drivel is written within the U.S. as well. I'd say follow your personal experiences. Not sure why you're even questioning those.
+1 aren't we making the same generalizations and stereotypes of canadians based on one tool's blogging that we hate here? fueling their fire by giving it any attention.

Old
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Well, the fact is, most of my contact with our friends north of the border comes on these forums and the rest of the web, which is where you find most of this drivel. I guess my point is, the people who are becoming the face of Canadian hockey fans and media on the web are not necessarily representative of the way most people feel, and I don't think that's good for anyone.

If I were to not have those personal experiences, and form my opinion of Canadian hockey fans based solely on what I see around here, I would think everyone has some sort of bizarre superiority complex and wants my hockey team gone for reasons I cannot quite comprehend.

I thought now would be an interesting time to bring this topic up since we're going to be hearing a lot more of it with the possible announcement of the 2011 All-Star Game in Raleigh.

Last edited by Gotta Catch Em Staal: 02-01-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old
02-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I can definitely see what you're saying. There's a lot of Canadians who are obsessed with reminding everyone how it's "our game" every chance they get. It really comes out during international tournaments and then you can see how all the Europeans hate the attitude. As a Canadian it's really embarassing how some people behave. Don't let it affect your opinion of us, though. The internet is a gathering place for a**holes. Pretty easy to hide behind a monitor and talk smack. We really are a friendly bunch...well, most of us.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 05:55 PM
bleedgreen

all just a bunch of crap. im just looking forward to a game featuring very little quality defense, hopefully a ton of goals, just a fun game to watch. often the most fun games are the ones between two bad teams. anyway.....go oilers!!!

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I received the following e-mail response from my e-mail titled 'Your ignorance'

Brian,

Thank you for the kind words.

Keep reading!

Regards,

Derek

LOL

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
I

want

return

a

Oilers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joni.jpg‎ (2.7 KB, 95 views)

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
WWAD

Gotta give that blogger some credit. Most people who whine about "Southern Markets" choose easier targets like the Coyotes or Thrashers.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I received the following e-mail response from my e-mail titled 'Your ignorance'

Brian,

Thank you for the kind words.

Keep reading!

Regards,

Derek

LOL
auto-reply good try

Old
02-01-2010, 07:28 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Well, the fact is, most of my contact with our friends north of the border comes on these forums and the rest of the web, which is where you find most of this drivel. I guess my point is, the people who are becoming the face of Canadian hockey fans and media on the web are not necessarily representative of the way most people feel, and I don't think that's good for anyone.

If I were to not have those personal experiences, and form my opinion of Canadian hockey fans based solely on what I see around here, I would think everyone has some sort of bizarre superiority complex and wants my hockey team gone for reasons I cannot quite comprehend.

I thought now would be an interesting time to bring this topic up since we're going to be hearing a lot more of it with the possible announcement of the 2011 All-Star Game in Raleigh.
If I was to start naming off the more reputable, non biased, intelligent Caps fan posters, would you know who they are? If I named off the likes of Bladerunner would you recognize them more than the likes of the first? Idiots stand out more, it's what they do best. Bill O'Reilly made a career off it.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
let's suck tonight!!!

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:10 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

In response to the above article, I always get a chuckle out of articles like that and comments that echo those sentiments on these boards. The NHL is the only professional league in America in which attendance is used almost as a "statistic" when it comes to match-ups. You won't hear Sportscenter compare the fanbases of Indianapolis and New Orleans when they discuss and predict who will win the Super Bowl. I just chalk it up to the petty selfishness that some Canadiens feel about "their sport" being played in places like Carolina, Dallas, and Tampa Bay. Add to that the successes of these southern franchises compared to their northern counterparts and that adds an element of jealousy to these fans. I learned pretty quickly once I started posting here that's it pointless to argue, so now I just ignore it.

As for the game tonight, it would be too easy for the Hurricanes to dominate like they have the last few games. 5-1 Oilers.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:13 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAShoesm View Post
If I was to start naming off the more reputable, non biased, intelligent Caps fan posters, would you know who they are? If I named off the likes of Bladerunner would you recognize them more than the likes of the first? Idiots stand out more, it's what they do best. Bill O'Reilly made a career off it.
+1

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

By the way, no Corvo tonight. Something about a technicality; not really sure what that is about. They may not have gotten him off IR in time or something. We will be playing short a forward with no one called up to replace LaRose.

Old
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Scorvo

Hey people are reading that blog. He got what he wants out of it.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436

Just look at that crowd for the warm-ups would you! That my friends is what I desire... A true and genuine hockey market...

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:18 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac4ever View Post

Just look at that crowd for the warm-ups would you! That my friends is what I desire... A true and genuine hockey market...
There in the midst of a bad season...that's enough of an excuse.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
caniac247

That guy is a tool.

Its a shame he can't be like his fellow Edmontonians. All he needs to do is talk to the ones who made the drive down to Raleigh to know this market isn't suffering. All the ones I met back in 2006 were very gracious and were just happy to see a team hoist the cup whether it was theirs or another. Sure they would have perferred their team lift it, but quite a few told me it was a moment they won't forget.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote