HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

HF's NCAA Prospect Update

Old
02-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
HF's NCAA Prospect Update

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spects_update/

Quote:
As a result of the Canadiens' commitment to sustainable replenishment of youth through their farm system, the minor-league cupboard is overflowing. The challenge is finding a place to keep players. Over the past few years, the Canadiens have looked to the U.S. collegiate ranks, which means four years of development before having to sign these players to a contract......

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:16 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
The more I hear about Dustin Walsh, the more I really like him. Maybe he won't pan out, but I think he'll find a permanent spot on D in 2 to 3 years time.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

wooo finally. Been waiting forever for hf to have a new article on habs prospects.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
The more I hear about Dustin Walsh, the more I really like him. Maybe he won't pan out, but I think he'll find a permanent spot on D in 2 to 3 years time.
He's going to convert to defense from center and get a permanent spot on D in the next 2-3 years?

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:21 PM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

since when is ben maxwell our best prospect?????

didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by didouche View Post
since when is ben maxwell our best prospect?????
I don't mind their articles. But when it comes to grades and rankings, I don't take HF seriously at all.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Dustin Walsh isnt a defenseman though.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:29 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Oh wow. I must be confusing Walsh with someone else. Oh well, I guess drafting a big center never hurts.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:31 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I don't mind their articles. But when it comes to grades and rankings, I don't take HF seriously at all.
having busto over anyone is also pretty bad, but worse when you see he's above desharnais, cichy, pyatt stewart, torp and gabriel dumont.

Brutal.

Old
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
having busto over anyone is also pretty bad, but worse when you see he's above desharnais, cichy, pyatt stewart, torp and gabriel dumont.

Brutal.
Look again at the order.

Mayer shouldn't be anywhere near our top 20 and I don't get how Pyatt wasn't in our top 20 when they made that.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 09:34 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Look again.

Mayer shouldn't be anywhere near our top 20 and I don't get how Pyatt wasn't in our top 20 when they made that.
haha, never noticed it was in alphabetical order. Thanks for the enlightenment

Old
02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Oh wow. I must be confusing Walsh with someone else. Oh well, I guess drafting a big center never hurts.
Did you get mixed up with Bennett?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Avant-Gardien

Unfortunately, the author may have missed a few things here:
Quote:
This year's first-round selection (and hometown boy) has played a big role in Harvard's mid-season resurgence. The Crimson started the year with a woeful 1-8-2 record, but have since rebounded. In fact, they've now played their way into the Beanpot semi-final against Boston College.
The only condition Harvard satisfied to "play their way into the Beanpot semi-final" is to 'be Harvard.'

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 08:33 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avant-Gardien View Post
Unfortunately, the author may have missed a few things here:

The only condition Harvard satisfied to "play their way into the Beanpot semi-final" is to 'be Harvard.'

They don't seem to do much fact checking, but then again who cares about facts.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Scotianhab

Walsh does seem to be scoring a few goals this year as a freshman. I'm starting to like this pick more and more.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Habs

Whats the scoop on James Wyman?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:37 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Whats the scoop on James Wyman?
He's playing in Hamiton.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quailer

Seemed like such a promising pick after his freshman year.

I'm disappointed that Stejskal's offensive game is not picking up. Was glad to see a guy with a Weber-like skillset in our system, even if he's nowhere close to being a the Dman Weber is.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 02:49 PM
shutehinside

I wonder what's going to happen with Fischer. Who thinks the Habs will offer a contract at the end of the year or cut loose the experiment gone wrong?

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Tim Wallach

I'm officially completely discouraged. Almost all of these write-ups has verbage synonymous with "not living up to expectations".

I see one blue-chipper in our entire system (Subban) and a bunch of mediocre-to-longshot guys.

What the heck have the scouting staff been doing for 15 years?

Tim Wallach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:23 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I'm officially completely discouraged. Almost all of these write-ups has verbage synonymous with "not living up to expectations".

I see one blue-chipper in our entire system (Subban) and a bunch of mediocre-to-longshot guys.

You've already written off last years draft picks?? Leblanc is scoring at a point per game clip as a freshman...what more do you want? Walsh has 7 goals in 17 games as a 6th round pick, whats not to like there?? Danny Kristo is doing amazing by all accounts. Steve Quailer has fantastic potential (as showed by his rookie year), but unfortunantly he got hurt. We've obviously had some dissapointing selections as well, but all teams have those.

I'm confused by your post.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
bobsthebest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
You've already written off last years draft picks?? Leblanc is scoring at a point per game clip as a freshman...what more do you want? Walsh has 7 goals in 17 games as a 6th round pick, whats not to like there?? Danny Kristo is doing amazing by all accounts. Steve Quailer has fantastic potential (as showed by his rookie year), but unfortunantly he got hurt. We've obviously had some dissapointing selections as well, but all teams have those.

I'm confused by your post.
What about all the years before 2008 and 2009. That's not to say that those two years are anything special (taking into account how pathetic the ECAC is), but expectations were even higher before and we have nothing to show for it.

It must be the fans fault. And the media too.

bobsthebest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Quailer

Seemed like such a promising pick after his freshman year.

I'm disappointed that Stejskal's offensive game is not picking up. Was glad to see a guy with a Weber-like skillset in our system, even if he's nowhere close to being a the Dman Weber is.
Quailer is a promising pick, since he's 6'4 and fast with good hands. We'll have to see what affect the knee injury has on his speed next year, but last I heard he didn't have to go under the kife, so perhaps that means it won't have lingering effects on him in the future.

Stejskal is one of the top D in the ECAC this year, he plays on the PP, PK and has been on the top pairing for all 3 years. While the offense hasn't really shown up, and despite his booming shot, I don't ever see him being known for his offensive game, he's solid in his own end and his physical game is his best asset imo. He's nothing like Weber though, I'd say he's the opposite of Weber minus both having such hard shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I wonder what's going to happen with Fischer. Who thinks the Habs will offer a contract at the end of the year or cut loose the experiment gone wrong?
I would assume the plan will be to sign him to a PTO at the end of March or early April (depending on his class schedule as I'm under the impression he's graduating)

Then see how he does, if he were to get into any games. Either way he can work out with the team as they get ready for the playoffs. Can't hurt. If they think they can work with him, then sign him. If not then cut him lose and take the 50th overall in '11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post

The scouting staff has the most NHLers in the league, more then any other team. It's the development that's been the problem.

As for this years NCAA crop, Kristo and Leblanc will be on the All rookie teams and are both having very good seasons. Cichy will get more playing time next year, appears to have good hands and vision. Fischer has struggled to standout but is solid in his own end for sure. Pateryn I like what I see every time I watch him but he does have trouble getting ice time. Kishel and Johnson I don't know what they saw in them when they picked them. Quailer could end up being a good pick, can't fault the scouts for him being injured.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Stejskal is one of the top D in the ECAC this year, he plays on the PP, PK and has been on the top pairing for all 3 years. While the offense hasn't really shown up, and despite his booming shot, I don't ever see him being known for his offensive game, he's solid in his own end and his physical game is his best asset imo. He's nothing like Weber though, I'd say he's the opposite of Weber minus both having such hard shots.
I meant Shea Weber, not Yannick.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote