HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
DM23BK30

vCash: 500
Reading opposing fans' opinions on the trade, it amazes me how people still fail to acknowledge that Sather basically acquired Jokinen to stabilize the season and add cap space for next season.

One fan actually said Kotalik was an "okay player with a bit of the future"

???????????????????????????????????????????

Future in what? Retail?

That 3 million in cap space, coupled with a rumored/possible Redden move to Hartford, will enable Sather to work the Kovalchuk angle.

I just dont get why people outside of this board think Jokinen is a long-term acquisition.

Also, Kudos to Sather for keeping picks, BTW.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jokinen's wife wrote a nasty email to Puck Daddy

Quote:
UPDATE 3:20 p.m. EST: We dish it out, we can take it. So in the interest of fairness, we yield the floor to Katerina Jokinen, whose email address we've independently verified as being that of Mrs. Olli Jokinen. From the PD inbox, unedited:

I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to articles written about my husband and I'm not very easily disturbed or get upset so I don't want you to think about what I'm about to say comes from a wrong place but PLEASE consider changing your proffession if writing crap like this is it.
I honestly cannot remember reading a worse article in my life! Really really really BAD writing.
Yikes!

If she only knew how much support she has among Puck Daddy readers for those comments ...
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...medium=twitter

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Does this quote concern anybody else?

Quote:
Sather on Olli and Gab: "If they can develop some type of chemistry, it’ll be fine. If they don’t click...it gives us more options."
I will be really pissed off if he goes and signs Jokinen to an extension. If we let him walk, the Rangers will be able to re-sign Staal and with burying Redden in the minors, will have a serious shot at Kovalchuk.

A free agent who is finally worth the big deals Sather gives out is going to hit the market. He has to take advantage and do what he does best, throw money at Kovy and get him to come to New York.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Good for her. I love it when scribes get it returned to them.

Still doesnt measure up to what Ozzie Guillen did to jay marriotti, but I'll take it.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

I will be really pissed off if he goes and signs Jokinen to an extension. If we let him walk, the Rangers will be able to re-sign Staal and with burying Redden in the minors, will have a serious shot at Kovalchuk.

A free agent who is finally worth the big deals Sather gives out is going to hit the market. He has to take advantage and do what he does best, throw money at Kovy and get him to come to New York.
EVERYBODY has Kovalchuk number 1 on their shopping list this summer. Sather will not sacrifice a chance at Kovy for friggin Jokinen.

Vidic15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

So, if the Rangers miss out on Kovalchuk, you wouldnt take Jokinen, if he fits the system and plays well for 2 years at say 4-4.5 million? I would be okay with that type of deal if the Rangers cant get Kovalchuk.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Why should that quote cause concern?

02-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Vidic15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
If Jokinen's problem was feeding Iginla, and hes best when hes shooting, then um... why is he with Gaborik?

2+2=
If other teams know that Gaborik is the only capable shooter on his line, doesn't that make him easier to shut down?

Vidic15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:13 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:

In defence of Greg the Devil Fan, through all the backhanded complements, he was pretty much saying that he thinks this is a good trade for the Rangers...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
If other teams know that Gaborik is the only capable shooter on his line, doesn't that make him easier to shut down?
Not really. Becuase gaborik's goals, most of them, dont come on clean shooting opportunities regardless.

Gaborik's wrist shot, while its good, is not what makes him a superstar. Its speed and the knowledge of where to go for a scoring chance. I think Jokinen is going to end up centering another line.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Not really. Becuase gaborik's goals, most of them, dont come on clean shooting opportunities regardless.

Gaborik's wrist shot, while its good, is not what makes him a superstar. Its speed and the knowledge of where to go for a scoring chance. I think Jokinen is going to end up centering another line.
Oh come on, it's part of what makes him a superstar. It's not the hardest wrist shot, but I would think it's one of the more difficult to stop in the league because of it's accuracy and timing. He makes even the best goalies look bad

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:22 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
So, if the Rangers miss out on Kovalchuk, you wouldnt take Jokinen, if he fits the system and plays well for 2 years at say 4-4.5 million? I would be okay with that type of deal if the Rangers cant get Kovalchuk.
Of course I would, only considering he lights it up during his few months here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why should that quote cause concern?
Maybe It's just overreacting, but Sather has obviously handed out some absolutely terrible contracts in recent years. I could see him handing out a ridiculous contract to Jokinen, because it seems like when he has enough space to make the team better, he finds a way to mess it up completely.

In my opinion, Jokinen shouldn't even be considered being re-signed, unless he completely lights it up. Saving the cap space and waiting for a better option to come along (if we don't sign Kovalchuk), would seem like a much better idea to me, but Sather never tends to do that.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

i personally think OJ will find success with Brandon Dubinsky...Hes more of a shooting center. I think Dubinsky's primary success has off shooters on his line

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...-olli-jokinen/

Great article. Realisitc perspective on things. He shares my views on Olli.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
otto1219

Quote:

gaborik is a superstar because of his speed and quick release. Plain and simple. Though you can argue about hockey IQ or knowledge, it can help but not that drastically. Anyone in this league can get open, but Gaborik's ability to get rid of the puck in an instant is what makes him so dangerous. Look at some of his highlight videos, there are breakaways/shootouts, where the goalie doesnt even move.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Hanny73

Quote:
Sutter said he spoke to the Sabres brass about Kotalik and they gave Sutter a good report. Sutter liked the way Kotalik played in Edmonton. Change of scenery.

Sutter called Higgins "our type of player".

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=86351

3 cheers for the Buffalo brass!!

Hanny73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:31 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic15 View Post
well hes been pretty much the only capable player on this team all season and he's got how many goals?

im not concerned about gaborik being shut down for an extended period of time...a few years back Randy moss was double and tripple teamed but he still caught balls and got a ******** amount of touchdowns...in the same sense gaborik will find a way to put the puck in the net despite other teams efforts to stop him

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Maybe It's just overreacting, but Sather has obviously handed out some absolutely terrible contracts in recent years. I could see him handing out a ridiculous contract to Jokinen, because it seems like when he has enough space to make the team better, he finds a way to mess it up completely.

In my opinion, Jokinen shouldn't even be considered being re-signed, unless he completely lights it up.
I don't think Jokinen does anything to alter any potential pursuit of Kovalchuk. What he might do, provided he clicks with wingers here, is provide a decent Plan B.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:49 PM
otto1219

Quote:
I don't think Jokinen does anything to alter any potential pursuit of Kovalchuk. What he might do, provided he clicks with wingers here, is provide a decent Plan B.
Agreed, would anyone really be upset if we resigned Jokinen at 3.5-4.5 if Kovalchuk resigns with Atlanta or goes to another team? (and I don't mean "i would be upset that Kovalchuk didn't sign in New York") This of course is provided that he fits in well here and puts up respectable numbers. The only argument I suppose is the depth we have up the middle, but I personally don't see Stepan making the team next year.

Old
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Spot on SBOB.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Higgins grew more and more withdrawn as the season progressed. The sarcasticly funny Long Islander replaced by a much more quiet player who never said so, but sure seemed to want out of New York. But he, too, remained a good, hard-working teammate right up until the end, and should be commended for that. Higgins never stopped working as hard as he could to turn things around.
http://rinkrap.blogspot.com/2010/02/...i-jokinen.html

Higgins didn't like playing in New York?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Didn't like New Torts

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 04:58 PM
otto1219

Quote:

I remember hearing an interview before a game saying that it was very different with his friends and family always being around him and people he knew always coming to the garden to see him play. Maybe it was having a very bad effect on him.

Old
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:

I don't think it was playing for the Rangers that bugged him so much, but the way his season is going, wouldn't you want to go somewhere and press reset?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
OverTheCap

I would say that perhaps the pressure of being the hometown boy got to him, but it's not like he didn't face any pressure in Montreal. He grew up a Habs fans and the media there is ridiculous ("darkest day in Habs history!!!")

If he really wanted out of NY, though, I'm glad he got his wish.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote