HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/jaygeemsg

Slats will be on the pre-game show tonight addressing the minions back in New York
can someone DVR that and upload it for us out of townees?

ty

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:09 PM
otto1219

I don't know if a lot of people are big into fantasy sports, but one indicator i always look at are month by month play. Certain players, like Eric Staal are huge 2nd half of the year players, (Gomez to a lesser extent), but some players are just better at certain times of the year.

Jokinen is almost always a point per game player in March. Over the last 5 years i he hit ppg in March almost every year.

2008-2009: 13 pts in 13 games
2007-2008: 9 pts in 12 games
2006-2007: 20 points in 14 games
2005-2006: 16 points in 15 games
2003-2004: 13 points in 14 games

source: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2008

Some players are conditioned to play better late in the season, and this could prove useful during a playoff run.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Sir Glen Sather is addressing the media minions
Sather on Prust, who he saw play vs Yotes: "He’s got lots of spunk to him. I always think you can never have a team that’s tough enough."
https://twitter.com/stevezipay
Sure that's not a misprint? And Sather didn't say you can never have a team that's tough at all"?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

On zipays page it says that the deal was bigger at first. I wonder if Phaneuf was in the plans at first, then when Clgary traded him the deal was shortened.

Maybe the Callahan and Gilroy rumors were around b/c at one point they were players going the other way for Phaneuf.

Jokinen, Prust, Phaneuf for Higgins,Kotalik,Callahan,Gilroy

I think that's something it might have looked like before the deal was trimmed down.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
On zipays page it says that the deal was bigger at first. I wonder if Phaneuf was in the plans at first, then when Clgary traded him the deal was shortened.

Maybe the Callahan and Gilroy rumors were around b/c at one point they were players going the other way for Phaneuf.

I think that's something it might have looked like before the deal was trimmed down.

That wouldn't work. Maybe you can say that it was that package for Phaneuf and Prust, but then Jokinen wouldn't have been involved.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:41 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

I just got finished reading quotes from Sather about the trade. And yeah it definitantely sounded like he was trying to get Phaneuf.
He said he couldn't comment further cause he's part of another organization. You know the whole tampering thing.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Chris02NYR

more likely it was rozsival,gilroy,callahan,kotalik for jokinen,prust and phaneuf

Chris02NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
so I don't know if anyone else heard this and I can't give a link or say who exactly said this...but it was on Hockey Central on Sirius XM Radio today about 1:00PM ish and they said that when Higgins was up in Montreal and it looked like he was starting to become a pretty good player, things went down hill because he was somewhat of a partyboy off the ice and they think/hope he has changed that, but don't know for certain, and I wonder if that has anything to do with him not scoring or why he might have been traded, just not really talked about but I figured I'd bring it up and get people's opinions.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:00 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris02NYR View Post
more likely it was rozsival,gilroy,callahan,kotalik for jokinen,prust and phaneuf
I would have done that trade.

Old
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
XLJ

From Zipay here were Torts quotes on Kotalik and Higgins.

On Ales Kotalik: "He started off well....My expectations, I don’t think, were met, and I’m sure his expectations of me weren’t met. It wasn’t a personal thing, just a situation where I wanted more. Sometimes it’s a chicken-and-egg. He felt he needed more ice time to get more, I felt we gave him opportunities and it just didn’t work out. I wish him the best. I hope he lights it up. I know he’s been frustrated and it hurt him this year.”

On Chris Higgins: “I was playing him 18 or 20 minutes, and he was doing all the other things and we’ll miss that. No matter if he was not scoring, he’d kill penalties, I used him late in games checking. He did all the stuff on the wall. I loved everything about his game, he just struggled scoring. That’s a different situation, where Kots and I had a disagreement, I didn’t think he was doing enough of those small things. Higgy was.”

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
so I don't know if anyone else heard this and I can't give a link or say who exactly said this...but it was on Hockey Central on Sirius XM Radio today about 1:00PM ish and they said that when Higgins was up in Montreal and it looked like he was starting to become a pretty good player, things went down hill because he was somewhat of a partyboy off the ice and they think/hope he has changed that, but don't know for certain, and I wonder if that has anything to do with him not scoring or why he might have been traded, just not really talked about but I figured I'd bring it up and get people's opinions.
That's nothing new with Higgins. Many here have speculated he party's a lot. And that could be a factor with his somewhat poor play.
I think him and many other Ranger players are having quite a good time in NY.
Tortorella has given hints earlier in the season about this.

Old
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I would have done that trade.
i wouldnt. you have to ask yourself, would we be a better team long or short term making that deal...i dont think we would be in either situation.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
http://rinkrap.blogspot.com/2010/02/...i-jokinen.html

Higgins didn't like playing in New York?
Rangerboy about a month ago I posted on here Higgins wasn't a NYC guy and would have preferred Long Island instead of MSG. He didn't like the idea of being a Ranger his dad was the fan not him, he hung out with more islanders then Rangers

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think Tots about says it all for Higgins. Add a bit more scoring, and he's a slightly slower Ryan Callahan.

Too bad he didnt score in his contract year, kinds sucks for his next contract.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Rangerboy about a month ago I posted on here Higgins wasn't a NYC guy and would have preferred Long Island instead of MSG. He didn't like the idea of being a Ranger his dad was the fan not him, he hung out with more islanders then Rangers
His dad was a Canadians fan

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Someone wrote that OJ may be too selfish and think to shoot too much. I say give me more selfish players, if that's what they do.
Exactly! I posted earlier how Ollie had 350 SOGs in each of his last 3 years in FLA. Only Ovie shoots more. I'm tired of seeing Dubi passing up quality chances, because he has a winger on his side named Gaborik. Selfish is just what this team needs. I like Dubi, but he really doesn't see the ice well. Not like Prospal or Gabby, which is probably why Christensen is getting more icetime with them. So if Dubi is not seeing the ice well (making plays) and not shooting (Kotalik has more SOGs) then he should be playing the wing.

Ollie could be a big boost to our scoring punch. To our playoff push. I rather not talk about the benefits in the offseason, as I would like to see the Rangers turn this season around and make a run in the playoffs. We have shown signs of being a pretty good team at times, and I believe there's still time, (ala Pittsburgh last year) to get over the hump.

What a story Ollie could make hear in NY.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Not sure of Torts take on the trade has been showed so. Here ya go.

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console.j...d=729&id=59129

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Not sure of Torts take on the trade has been showed so. Here ya go.

http://rangers.nhl.tv/team/console.j...d=729&id=59129
Good interview. Thought Torts said the right things. Gonna give Ollie the best chance to succeed, playing with Gabby and Prospal.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

That post on Higgs not liking being a ranger and hanging out with isles couldn't be more inaccurate. Just not even remotely close to being accurate.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I don't think it was playing for the Rangers that bugged him so much, but the way his season is going, wouldn't you want to go somewhere and press reset?
Yeah I'd kind of guess it was more how bad he was doing in terms of scoring after being all excited at the start of the season. Things just weren't working out

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
That post on Higgs not liking being a ranger and hanging out with isles couldn't be more inaccurate. Just not even remotely close to being accurate.
Why, do you have some kind of inside info or something?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Happy Higgins..

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

He's a good friend of mine and some of the stuff on here is absurd just absurd

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:38 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
I have never brought this up on the boards, but my buddy is a fireman for the NYFD, he told me at the time we acquired Higgins that he's a big time drinker, loves to party. He was wondering how much Higgins was gonna party once in NY. Not sure how much partying he did...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
He's a good friend of mine and some of the stuff on here is absurd just absurd
he played hard, but couldnt score worth a damn, and you know it Kovy. IMHO i think hes one of those players that would be best served not playing for his hometown team and hometown distractions, IE, you.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote