HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kotalik/Higgins Traded to CGY for Jokinen/Prust

Old
02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Am I wrong, or do these moves put the current team over $56.8M?

Maybe my figures are off, but I had us right at the edge before the trade, and now we're subtracting $5.25M for Higgins & Kotalik and we're adding $5.775M for Jokinen & Prust.
I think its all pro-rated, so we're not necessarily taking on 500K. More like 200K.

Nonetheless, we are very close to the cap.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:02 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I mean, we basically were sellers in this deal, ridding the team of Kotalik's toxic contract.

Theres no way Jokinen plays for the Rangers after this year*

*I hope.
That's the difference between this being a great trade and a catastrophic trade. If Sather signs Jokinen after this season, it becomes catastrophic.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Levitate

If Jokinen signed on the cheap for a couple of years, hey that might not be so bad if he can put up 50-60 points for between $3-4 mill

Odds of that happening? Not likely

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
What's crazy, though, is that especially in a capped league where the team spends to the max every year, it's much more profitable to be a championship caliber team than a team that gets bounced in the first round each year. 4 rounds of playoffs > 1 round of playoffs.

You'd think that if Dolan wants more money, then he'd want a Cup contender each year.
More revenue + fixed cost = more profit.
Dolan does want a cup contender every year. It's not just terribly easy to build one every year, especially when you're still trying to lay the groundwork for a team that can be competitive far into the future.

And the revenue from a first round loss is probably a lot more attractive than missing that revenue for several years in order to get high picks that make the team better in the long run, etc

Old
02-02-2010, 09:10 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Dolan does want a cup contender every year. It's not just terribly easy to build one every year, especially when you're still trying to lay the groundwork for a team that can be competitive far into the future.

And the revenue from a first round loss is probably a lot more attractive than missing that revenue for several years in order to get high picks that make the team better in the long run, etc
A good businessman should know that sometimes it's better to sacrifice some short-term profits for greater long-term profits. Then again we are talking about James Dolan who went to school to major in communications, not business.

Old
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

http://capgeek.com/tracker/

according to this we have 1.1 million in acquisition space.

So taking on 500K additional salary is OK. (And 500K salary at this point in the season is ~ 200 cap space)

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Why is everyone against re-signing Jokinen? A lot of people here are so confident that we will sign Kovalchuk but what if we don't? We're going to have basically the same quality of players we had at the beginning of this season plus Grachev and maybe a few scrub free agents. We are going to have a decent amount of cap space as well.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Is there a presser scheduled?

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM
NYROrtsFan

If Prust can hit then he's better than any of the fourth liners we currently have... Someone who can hit with authority is something we are desperately missing.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Why is everyone against re-signing Jokinen? A lot of people here are so confident that we will sign Kovalchuk but what if we don't? We're going to have basically the same quality of players we had at the beginning of this season plus Grachev and maybe a few scrub free agents. We are going to have a decent amount of cap space as well.
Because he is 31, on the decline, and has the potential to be given a Drury contract by Slats. If we're going after a center instead of a winger it might as well be Marleau.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Levitate

Quote:
If he's decent for the rest of the year and was OK with signing a short, relatively small contract, then I might be OK with it. Like I said, maybe something in the $3-4 mill range for a year in order to pump his stock back up and then he can hit the FA market later to look for a bigger payday.

however, someone is probably going to be offering him $5+ mill, and I really hope it's not the Rangers.

I also wouldn't want to go after Marleau...he's not much younger, and he's going to be shooting for a gigantic contract after having a career goalscoring and possibly points year

Old
02-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Because he is 31, on the decline, and has the potential to be given a Drury contract by Slats. If we're going after a center instead of a winger it might as well be Marleau.
Other than Marleau, Kovalchuck, and Jokinen, I don't see many free agent forwards out there next summer who will improve this team. Maybe Frolov, but he isn't having a great year.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Other than Marleau, Kovalchuck, and Jokinen, I don't see many free agent forwards out there next summer who will improve this team. Maybe Frolov, but he isn't having a great year.
So heres a novel concept that I hope Sather can learn.....

RESTRAIN YOURSELF!!!!!

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

From a production standpoint in making this team better on the ice -

To be perfectly honest, I think this team is going to stink even more.

Jokinen is just another underachiever and now you lose Higgins who was valuable on the PK and actually was one of the few forechecking forwards on this team. Granted, he couldnt put the puck in the net and this team stinks anyway. I just dont think we are much better thats all.

I think Rangers fans get drunk on trades and over value whats coming in 5 fold.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:37 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Jokinen #21/ Prust #12

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

Jokinen is just another underachiever and now you lose Higgins who was valuable on the PK and actually was one of the few forechecking forwards on this team. Granted, he couldnt put the puck in the net and this team stinks anyway. I just dont think we are much better thats all.

You're making a case that the guy that's been riding pine for 8 out of the last 9 games and the other guy with 14 points is somehow better than Jokinen and Prust?

At the very worst it's a lateral move. At best, Jokinen gets energized and makes other teams pay attention to someone other than Gaborik.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:46 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
This. Jokinen is a decent player, who still has potential for one or two truly great seasons. The problem is, if he resigns with the Rangers, I doubt it would be on the cheap.

I don't think he's anywhere near the lockerroom cancer people make him out to be, nor do I think that he should be a team's primary leader. If the Rangers kept him as a 2nd-line centre (though he'd probably stay as a 1st-liner with our lineup), I'd be perfectly happy with it -- but only at a limited cost.

Thing with Slats is, he tends to throw money around at players who aren't already Rangers, and has shown a bloody-minded willingness to play hardball with his own players. Even taking into account that Olli will be UFA, unless he plays some PPG hockey from here on out, I doubt Slats will pay him what he's probably looking for.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

kotalik was useless as a healthy scratch and higgins was sorta useless in the lineup, though on the defensive side higgins okay.

who knows how jokinen will do in ny, he had an off season this year but he is a ppg player on the road this year and might find a nice fit on this team that is desperate for a solid center....if not SATHER don't re-sign him (fingers crossed)!!!!!!!!especially to a lucrative contract

prust will be good on our 4th line and add some low-priced toughness

we should be very excited about this

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:48 AM
TrueBlue9

this move is all about next season. Who cares if its a lateral move, you have a UFA coming off the books at the end of the year. The cap space is more important than anything else. Now, one of redden, rosi, or drury gets moved and you have the ability to make a run at anyone. including the man in atlanta

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:50 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

I find it hard to see how the Rangers will be worse. Jokinen will probably frustrate, but just by dint of his talent and style of play, he'll score a few more than Kotalik or Higgins. He also frees the Rangers to put some more talent on the 2nd line, either Jokinen himself or Dubinsky or even Prospal, which should help there. Neither Kotalik nor Higgins were producing, so it's not like Jokinen has a lot to make up for.

Poor Higgins is paying the price for his lack of production. All his hard work just didn't translate. He couldn't score and it's not like he made goals for his linememates, either (who must also take some blame), and ultimately, that's his value. I'll miss him, though -- he was one of my favourite players not on the Rangers and I'm sad that it didn't work out.

They'll love him in Calgary, I hope he rediscovers his scoring touch!

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:55 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

I think Prust is going to become a fan favorite.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue9 View Post
this move is all about next season. Who cares if its a lateral move, you have a UFA coming off the books at the end of the year. The cap space is more important than anything else. Now, one of redden, rosi, or drury gets moved and you have the ability to make a run at anyone. including the man in atlanta
Correct...

The Rangers removed a bad contract in Kotalik.

Regardless of what we see on the ice, that is a benefit for this team going forward.

Actually I like the idea of Prust because he may bring something we just don't have much of.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

Higgins: i am excited to come to ny and be close to my family

Higgins: ahh ****

ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fletch

I think it's hard not to like this move. It's good for today and the future. Perhaps Higgins will be missed (not his offense, but his defense and effort), but I think Jokinen, if he can click on a line, can do pretty well here. Kotalik obviously was not working out with the Rangers for whatever reason, and now he's off the books for the next two seasons.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Jokinen #21/ Prust #12
The last player to wear #12 in an NHL game for the Rangers was Ken Gernander in 03-04. He played 2 games.

The last Ranger to wear #12 for more than 10 games was Alexandre Daigle (99-00 58 games).

Eddie Olczyk was the last Ranger who wore #12 to be with the team for multiple seasons (92-95).

Kris King was the last Ranger who wore #12 to be with the team for multiple seasons AND play more than 70 games in at least one of those seasons (89-93).

The last Ranger to wear #21 was Jaime Lundmark (02-06)

The last Ranger to wear #21 over multiple seasons with 70+ games in at least one season was Mathieu Schneider (98-00)