HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

We need a defenseman

Old
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Paul4587

vCash: 500
Bieksa is not a no 2 guy, he's been brutal this year. I wouldn't mind him playing on our 2nd pairing though if he could be had for cheap.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Bieksa is not a no 2 guy, he's been brutal this year. I wouldn't mind him playing on our 2nd pairing though if he could be had for cheap.
I dunno, I sort of disagree. He's alot like Beauch in a lot of ways, physical and can log big minutes. I think Niedermayer has been saving himself for the Olympics, so afterwards I can see him crank it to 11 and that could be a dynamite pairing. Bieksa has struggled, but I'm confident he could turn that around here, especially playing with Nieds. Vancouver has a solid defense as is, and even though they're gonna lose Demitra, they could probably stand to free up some more cap room to maybe add another top-6 forward. Wiz would probably transition into their defense pretty well, and he'd come a decent amount cheaper. I think something built around the two of them could work.

Making a push for Rusty is starting to look more and more like it would be a smart move. Colorado has a good thing going for them right now and an overcrowded defense, he could come at a very cheap price. With Koci going down, maybe Parros straight up could even do it. He's maybe not the most optimal guy to add, but he does add what we need at a bargain price. Guess we'll have to watch Belarus to see how he's holding up after the injury. If he's recovered well and still has gas left in the tank, I think he'd be a pretty decent fit with Whitney.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
kenabnrmal

That Barker trade is a pretty interesting one. I'm surprised by what the Hawks were able to get in return...a recent first round pick, and an extremely solid vet. I wanted Barker, but not at that price...the Hawks are better now than they were yesterday.

However, assuming Barker gets good minutes in Minnesota, I expect you'll see his development accelerate considerably. We'll see.

Regarding Commodore...the Commodore of 08-09 I would have jumped at...this season he's a different guy. He's admitted himself that he's lost a step and doesn't feel quite right. He's fifth on the team in toi amongst D right now, but so I guess "borderline top-4" is accurate, but I don't think he's quite what we need right now unless he's turned around his game dramatically of late.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:35 AM
sammyp

Send a message via AIM to sammyp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
That Barker trade is a pretty interesting one. I'm surprised by what the Hawks were able to get in return...a recent first round pick, and an extremely solid vet. I wanted Barker, but not at that price...the Hawks are better now than they were yesterday.
Leddy has been just terrible so far this year. He really doesn't have much going for him in terms of size either, so I would venture a guess (a pre-mature one, of course) that he turns into a complete bust. I love the deal from a Wild perspective.

sammyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM
sammyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
It's more a gut feeling but it seems like he's always looking for bargain guys and hopes they overachieve as opposed to paying for established talent.

We'll see in the offseason what he does though.
I strongly disagree with your gut, Paul. Murray will have plenty of money to spend this Summer and I think he's probably just about as fed up with the defense as we are. He just hasn't panicked yet -- probably a good thing to let cooler heads prevail rather than force a trade that just doesn't make sense.

Old
02-13-2010, 11:09 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:

However, assuming Barker gets good minutes in Minnesota, I expect you'll see his development accelerate considerably. We'll see.
On one hand, trading Leddy is surprising. How often do teams trade recent first round picks? Although Paradis was also moved earlier this year, so maybe it's something about 2009 guys?

On the other hand, I wasn't very high on Leddy, and he seemed to be picked a little higher than he should have been. He just seemed like another one of those guys who all they could talk about was his skating, and no mention of how effective he actually is on the ice. Seems like more of a 2nd round type asset to me.

But yeah, so much for the opportunity to buy low on Barker. Johnsson's a guy I like too.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 07:16 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
On one hand, trading Leddy is surprising. How often do teams trade recent first round picks? Although Paradis was also moved earlier this year, so maybe it's something about 2009 guys?

On the other hand, I wasn't very high on Leddy, and he seemed to be picked a little higher than he should have been. He just seemed like another one of those guys who all they could talk about was his skating, and no mention of how effective he actually is on the ice. Seems like more of a 2nd round type asset to me.

But yeah, so much for the opportunity to buy low on Barker. Johnsson's a guy I like too.
I'm having trouble thinking of another time a 1st was traded so quickly. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't place it.

On the personal side, it's a good situation for Barker. He's as close to home as he can get in the NHL, just a 7hr drive (or more likely, an hour flight) from Winnipeg. He was traded for plenty of value, so his confidence shouldn't take too bad a hit...We'll see how it turns out.

If Chicago gets any goaltending in the playoffs, they're my pick to win it all. That defense is outstanding on paper.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 09:33 PM
caliamad

Quote:

Regarding Commodore...the Commodore of 08-09 I would have jumped at...this season he's a different guy. He's admitted himself that he's lost a step and doesn't feel quite right. He's fifth on the team in toi amongst D right now, but so I guess "borderline top-4" is accurate, but I don't think he's quite what we need right now unless he's turned around his game dramatically of late.
Apparently one of the reason's why the Wiz for Barker deal fell through was because Chicago wanted a 2nd player from anaheim in the deal (which we refused).

It looks like they were thinking of Wiz as a ufa to be (they have no salary to resign him) + a prospect. I'm glad Murray said no, but it definitely means Wiz is in play.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 04:04 AM
Finnpin

Toni Lydman has looked really good stay home dman in the Olympics... not as physical as somebody wants here but no way a softie either... just a thought and he is UFA next year...

But Douglas Murray would be my number one choice

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
getzforfighting*

Send a message via MSN to getzforfighting*
i want staios

getzforfighting* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Finnpin

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ana100222.html

With around $1.7 million in available cap space, the Register suggests the Ducks could be eyeing the likes of Dennis Seidenberg (Florida), Joe Corvo (Carolina), Sheldon Souray (Edmonton) and Dan Hamhuis (Nashville).

The Register also lists Ruslan Salei (Colorado), Aaron Ward (Carolina), Garnet Exelby (Toronto), Milan Jurcina (Columbus), Andy Sutton (NY Islanders), Steve Staios (Edmonton) and Carlo Colaiacovo (St. Louis) as other possible targets.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:18 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradycook14 View Post
i want staios
I don't want Staios...he's bad.

c4rcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 01:41 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Just wait until the offseason and sign Michalek or Volchenkov.

This season is done in my eyes.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 06:28 PM
wesott11

Another great post. I've watched staios a lot this year and last year. He is not good. At all. Plus he takes more crappy penalties than R2ken. So... Pass.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Paul4587

Hamhuis or Seidenberg would be the most ideal from that list IMO.

Old
02-24-2010, 04:53 AM
jonasty

Trade for Salei at the deadline. My ideia was:

To Ducks:
Salei

To Avs:
4th round pick
Eminger

And then just hope that in the offseason we can get Volchenkov or Michalek.

jonasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:58 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
I'm having trouble thinking of another time a 1st was traded so quickly. I'm sure it's happened, but I can't place it.
Paradis, the 27th overall by Carolina in 2009, was traded 6 months later for Tlusty. But yeah, it doesn't happen often if it isn't some kind of draft day trade (Lindros, Manning, etc).

A lot of people mention Seidenberg. Rightfully so because he seems like one of the best options and fits. Although I haven't really seen him and can't comment much.

It just worries me, though, that our track record of guys out of the southeast conference isn't very good. Defense and forwards. Montador, Artyukhin, Christensen, Sutherby (sadly he's been one of the better ones on this list), Hedican, Klee, Hnidy, Whitney (), Eminger, and Boynton. Yikes.

Hamhuis is a guy I've watched and liked. He seems at least a head above the others, though, and probably won't be cheap. To acquire or sign.

Old
02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Paradis, the 27th overall by Carolina in 2009, was traded 6 months later for Tlusty. But yeah, it doesn't happen often if it isn't some kind of draft day trade (Lindros, Manning, etc).

A lot of people mention Seidenberg. Rightfully so because he seems like one of the best options and fits. Although I haven't really seen him and can't comment much.

It just worries me, though, that our track record of guys out of the southeast conference isn't very good. Defense and forwards. Montador, Artyukhin, Christensen, Sutherby (sadly he's been one of the better ones on this list), Hedican, Klee, Hnidy, Whitney (), Eminger, and Boynton. Yikes.

Hamhuis is a guy I've watched and liked. He seems at least a head above the others, though, and probably won't be cheap. To acquire or sign.
Hamhius will probably bring in a first at the deadline. Big Bob is pretty set on keeping the pick I think, but who knows. It'll be wonders if he can ship some of our extra forwards + a late pick for him. He'd be amazing.

c4rcy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
JtotheLew

I would be down for Hamhuis. Most of the other guys on that list range from awful - the lower side of mediocre.

JtotheLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasty View Post
Trade for Salei at the deadline. My ideia was:

To Ducks:
Salei

To Avs:
4th round pick
Eminger

And then just hope that in the offseason we can get Volchenkov or Michalek.
Not sure that would really work. Well, it probably would, but it still leaves us with a hole on defense and too many forwards. Considering that R2+4th could potentially net Salei, I'd try and go that route instead.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post
Hamhius will probably bring in a first at the deadline. Big Bob is pretty set on keeping the pick I think, but who knows. It'll be wonders if he can ship some of our extra forwards + a late pick for him. He'd be amazing.
The only players I could see being attractive from Nashville's perspective form us would be Sexton, Belesky or Bodie, low cost and young. I don't think they are shooting for picks or prospects given they have a good chance to make the playoffs.

The price will be even steeper for us given we're chasing them.

Seidenberg I think is our best hope and have a reasonable chance of getting. He's not that elite shutdown guy, but putting him in over Festerling or Eminger instantly makes this team a lot better.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Dirk316

Seidenberg is about as overrated as they come on HFboards
Yes he is better than Eminger or Festerling but is he a punishing crease clearing player? Does he have a rocket from the point? Those are the traits missing and needed
Hamuis doesnt fit that fill as well

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Paul4587

He can play competent defense though, something this team sorely lacks.

Old
02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Yes he is better than Eminger or Festerling but is he a punishing crease clearing player? Does he have a rocket from the point? Those are the traits missing and needed
We need like 2-3 more competent defensemen past this season. Not all of the traits have to come in one package.

It's especially hard to find someone who has both offense (rocket from the point) AND defense (punishing crease-clearing). Souray, though, does have both. Except he's made of glass.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:27 AM
sammyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Dirk, please watch the guy play some NHL games. He wasn't great in the Olympics (playing on a bad team in a very soft environment). You of all people would love his playing style. He's exactly what we need on this team.