HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Poll: Are the Rangers Better or Worse post Kotalik for Ollie

View Poll Results: Will the Rangers be better post Kotalik for Ollie
Yes the Team is going to be better 175 96.69%
No the team will be worse off 6 3.31%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Shake and Bake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Because I'm not sold on the idea of Jokinen helping this team.
And why is that? You dont think he is an improvement over Erik Christenson or Christopher Higgins?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
And why is that? You dont think he is an improvement over Erik Christenson or Christopher Higgins?
Not to the point that's going to greatly improve this team or make up for its substantial flaws.

02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Not to the point that's going to greatly improve this team or make up for its substantial flaws.
He won't greatly improve the team, but he will improve it to a degree. He is a much better player than than what we had before.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Vitto79

I don't think they could got a better C without giving up alot. So given that this yr I don't think they can win it all then this for sure a good move. Lets hope Jokinen gets back to his old form

They also need sand paper and Prust brings that

I like it, hard not to like it for now and next yrs FA period

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think we're slightly better this season. Prust is a nice little tough guy, and Jokinen should provide more offense than Higgins. That makes us better this year. It might not translate to more wins, since we're still lacking on both sides of the puck, but I think our team becomes a bit better overall.

Better in the long haul, having shed Kotalik's deal. He was a $3MM spare forward.
Stan fischler just guaranteed that this move not only gets us into the playoffs but to at LEAST the second round.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:11 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
Stan fischler just guaranteed that this move not only gets us into the playoffs but to at LEAST the second round.
And I'm guaranteeing right now that Fischler is senile!

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:16 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Whats also great about this deal is that 3 mil gone now we have plenty of space to resign our RFA's mainly Staal

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Well, Stan Fischler is officially off his rocker.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Fletch

I believe this is a move that will help this team get to the playoffs. Sounds crazy, I understand, but there are a lot of mediocre teams out there, including the Rangers, and all they need is a hot streak from Lundqvist, a hot streak from Gabby and Jokinen to be half the player he was in Florida for this team to make the playoffs. I mean, heck, Erik Christenson has played a top line for this team. Say what you want about Jokinen, but at least he's played a top line in this league and has consitently been his team's leading scorer, including in recent years. This isn't saying the Rangers are great, just an indictment of the mediocre NHL. Higgins' hustle will be missed, but I think that will be made up elsewhere.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
I don't give a crap about joker, he's a UFA at the end of the season.

I like the deal because we got Prust, and MAINLY because we dumped kotalik.

Could care less about higgens, since again -- he's UFA at the end of the season.

I'm not counting on winning the cup this year either, so again, that's not a concern. The biggest thing we got out of this was dumping kotalik. We also get the #2 fighting major leader in the league, who's 7-5-6 this season and improving.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake and Bake View Post
He won't greatly improve the team, but he will improve it to a degree. He is a much better player than than what we had before.
But to me, that's not enough to really change things. It helps get Kotalik off the books for the future.

Jokinen is not the playmaking center this team needs and he's not the physical defenseman they need.

I hope I'm wrong.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but I hate this sort of talk. A team needs to try to win all the time. Look at Detroit, look at New Jersey, they expect to win at all times. They don't give a s*** what it does for their draft position, because they draft well no matter where they finish the season. If you want something to happen, hope for the Rangers to draft better forward prospects (Stepan and Kreider are a very good start).

If the Rangers think it's OK to lose, then it doesn't matter how good our prospects are.
Detroit was horrendous until they sucked enough to draft Yzerman and Federov. Credit their scouts and gm for Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterburg but they benefited from the draft lottery as much as anyone.

You got me on Jersey, though. They have a plan, a mission statement and the guts to see it through. They understand the importance of buying into the team concept while maintaining a winning and constructive atmosphere. Cancers are cut away. Losers are jettisoned. Of course, it's not hard to stick to the plan when you have a good GM.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:39 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Obviously its a great trade whats the worst that can happen no chemistry and we score 0 goals oh wait

Seriously tho who cares what jokinen does(I dont expect much) but what if he gets us 10more goals for the remainder of the season even 5 more goals is a bonus over the 2 slugs we gave up

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
....#1 pick here we come!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Nick00

Depends what you mean by "better"...

It should put this team in a better position after this season is over, assuming that Sather is not stupid enough to give Jokinen a new contract.

However, I'm doubtful that adding Jokinen is going to translate into more wins right now.
As others have mentioned, Jokinen will provide a little bit more offense but this team still has serious flaws that have yet to be addressed.

Nick00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I'm glad the NYR fan base isn't living in the same fantasy world he is. We still are in the playoff race, but Jokinen was no deal maker or breaker.

LA will still eviscerate us tonight, but who cares because next season looks better already. I hope Sather has some more aces in the hole before the deadline, and then retires next season as GM before giving someone a NMC.

02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I'm glad the NYR fan base isn't living in the same fantasy world he is. We still are in the playoff race, but Jokinen was no deal maker or breaker.

LA will still eviscerate us tonight, but who cares because next season looks better already. I hope Sather has some more aces in the hole before the deadline, and then retires next season as GM before giving someone a NMC.
lmao, I can't stop laughing at that avatar.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
lmao, I can't stop laughing at that avatar.

I know it's going to give me nightmares eventually.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I'm not going to hop aboard the New York Rangers bandwagon saying this is a savior, but the team is overall better. You have a regular scratch gone who was going to eat up $3M a year for the next 2 seasons, and Higgins, who in all fairness played good, but he was brought on for offense and he wasn't supplying it.

Like most people here, I'm more excited about the cap space this is freeing, provided of course Sather doesn't sign another washed up veteran like Redden or Drury. (calling it right now, Alex Tanguay signed to a $4M/year deal, 3 seasons, NTC) To add onto this, speculation right now has the Rangers possibly acquiring Raffi Torres, another UFA after this season with a $2.25M contract.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
tjs252

If Kotalik brought back nothing we'd be better for it. That we can turn him into a risk/reward UFA makes it a huge win.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

This team needs scoring and the only three scenarios I see is:

A) Ollie comes in and plays lights out and helps us

or

B) He plays as bad or worse than Kotalik/Higgins and we're rid of him after the season

or

C) Middle ground and we're rid of him after the season

Win, win unless I'm missing something

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The most important and long term info coming from all this is Sather and his continually bad judgment when it comes to signings.

When does it end? Maybe Glen just needs some pointers.

Whatever it is Glen, be open and honest with yourself and then follow these 10 simple steps:

Step 1

Write down exactly what happened with as much detail as you can. Be precise and try not to let any feelings you have about the incident cause you to edit or leave out important facts.

Step 2

Define what part you had in the incident. What actions did you take, were they deliberate acts, or were they things you were persuaded or even forced to do by someone else?

Step 3

Define who else was involved and what they actually did. It's important to be completely honest and, for instance, identify whether someone may have prevented you from doing something or perhaps tried to stop you from taking a particular course of action.

Step 4

Ask yourself truthfully what you could have done differently that would have resulted in a better outcome. Be thorough because it may only be a little thing but it could make all the difference in the future.

Step 5

Identify what anyone else involved could have done differently and what you could have done to help them to do so. Be prepared to admit where you were at fault including by maybe just standing by and letting something happen.

Step 6

Define what the best outcome would have been for everyone concerned.

Step 7

Having followed the steps so far, now write a plan for how you would achieve the desired outcome in the event of the incident occurring today. Be clear and concise in the steps you would take and how you would interact with anyone else involved.

Step 8

Write a list of all the things you have learned by carrying out this exercise. Once again you must ensure you are honest with yourself and don't ignore things that might be less then palatable to you.

Step 9

Identify how the things you have learned can help you to achieve the goals you have and what additional things you need. Establish clearly what you have learned about your strengths and weaknesses and how you can act upon them.

Step 10

Write a clear plan as to what you are going to do in order to put to use what you have learned. Only by setting and following well thought out, well-planned, and written goals will you achieve what you want in life.

We all make mistakes and get things wrong but by having a genuine desire to learn from the events in the past you can truly take advantage and move forward. Don't let the mistakes of your past spoil your (hockey's)future.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I'm not going to hop aboard the New York Rangers bandwagon saying this is a savior, but the team is overall better. You have a regular scratch gone who was going to eat up $3M a year for the next 2 seasons, and Higgins, who in all fairness played good, but he was brought on for offense and he wasn't supplying it.

Like most people here, I'm more excited about the cap space this is freeing, provided of course Sather doesn't sign another washed up veteran like Redden or Drury. (calling it right now, Alex Tanguay signed to a $4M/year deal, 3 seasons, NTC) To add onto this, speculation right now has the Rangers possibly acquiring Raffi Torres, another UFA after this season with a $2.25M contract.
Where did you see this, and who is being speculated as heading out?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Where did you see this, and who is being speculated as heading out?
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...H.html?sid=101

Quote:
Washington, Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers are said to be interested in Torres, but there likely would be others, too.
Nobody is being speculated as heading out as there's no solid tradeworks going on, it's just speculated that the Rangers are interested in him. He's a 20ish goal scorer which would be a nice addition as a rental player, because then he can be thrown out at the end of the year for another chunk of free cap space. Hi Kovalchuk.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't mean to say acquiring him, meant to say interested in him.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 12:15 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...H.html?sid=101

Nobody is being speculated as heading out as there's no solid tradeworks going on, it's just speculated that the Rangers are interested in him. He's a 20ish goal scorer which would be a nice addition as a rental player, because then he can be thrown out at the end of the year for another chunk of free cap space. Hi Kovalchuk.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't mean to say acquiring him, meant to say interested in him.
Maybe Sather can remind Scott Howson of how much he wanted to sign Redden in 2008.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote