HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking Ahead

Old
02-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Salvage21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Until Hodgson proves he is back (no pun intended) a 1st rounder (which looks to be top 10 right now) and a good prospect seems like a big gamble to me.
If he returns to form maybe it works, but we need to be sure.
I would like the Rangers to take a 'gamble' on acquiring Hodgson.. He most certainly has first line playmaking upside and already has fantastic chemistry with Grachev- they played on a line together in Brampton with Peluso. Hodgson will be 20 next season ellible for the AHL.. If you pair him up with Grachev(who I think needs another year seasoning) it would help them grow as players going forward together

Salvage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 10:35 AM
beastly115

Our next 10 games:

NJ L
NSH W
PIT L
TB W
OTT L
PIT L
WASH L
BUFF L
NJ L
ATL W

I'm seeing a 3-7 record there. At best we'll walk away 4-6. Maybe a few OT pts but who knows. Any way you look at it, that's a damn brutal stretch.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Our next 10 games:

NJ L
NSH W
PIT L
TB W
OTT L
PIT L
WASH L
BUFF L
NJ L
ATL W

I'm seeing a 3-7 record there. At best we'll walk away 4-6. Maybe a few OT pts but who knows. Any way you look at it, that's a damn brutal stretch.
Nashville will beat the Rangers and so will TB. 1-9

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:29 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Girardi is going want like $3M/year with his new contract. I say dump him, he's a #4 or #5 defenseman...
3 mil a year is not that much. We need to clear cap space and getting rid of Rozy and Redden will clear the most. We can go with only so many young blueliners and expect to win. Any UFA dman we bring in that we expect to be better than Girardi is likely to cost more than 3 mil a year.

The smart thing to do with Girardi is to sign him to a 2 year deal and then trade him in 2011. Or only sign him for 1 year and then trade him (he'd still be RFA). Either way, he'd be off the books in time for us to give raises to Dubi, Cally and Anisimov.

I know everyone wants him gone because he didn't jump in to help Gaborik, but this is not the year to trade him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
I would like the Rangers to take a 'gamble' on acquiring Hodgson.. He most certainly has first line playmaking upside and already has fantastic chemistry with Grachev- they played on a line together in Brampton with Peluso. Hodgson will be 20 next season ellible for the AHL.. If you pair him up with Grachev(who I think needs another year seasoning) it would help them grow as players going forward together
I'd like them to gamble as well. Although I wouldn't give up our first rounder if it's indeed a top-5 pick.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
3 mil a year is not that much. We need to clear cap space and getting rid of Rozy and Redden will clear the most. We can go with only so many young blueliners and expect to win. Any UFA dman we bring in that we expect to be better than Girardi is likely to cost more than 3 mil a year.

The smart thing to do with Girardi is to sign him to a 2 year deal and then trade him in 2011. Or only sign him for 1 year and then trade him (he'd still be RFA). Either way, he'd be off the books in time for us to give raises to Dubi, Cally and Anisimov.

I know everyone wants him gone because he didn't jump in to help Gaborik, but this is not the year to trade him.
Totally agree. If people are serious about wanting to rid this team of Rozsival and Redden than Girardi needs to stay at least for one or two more seasons.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
would vancouver accept a 1st rounder and mid level prospect for him. from our pov i see it as we basically use this years first round pick to get a more developed top 10 pick.
Ya know Slats is pretty damn good at this trade business. What if the Rangers could land him w/out the first rounder going the other way? Value could be a little low with the back problems, maybe a 2nd and a prospect. Maybe Hagelin? <--Who by all acounts could have raised his value quite a bit as a hobey candidate?

Last edited by Lion Hound: 02-06-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

You guys complain about players getting overpaid on our team, and you have no problem with signing Girardi for $3M?

That would be equivalent to Rozsival's signing imo. Signing him for about double his actual value as a #5, maybe #4 defenseman.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:

3 mil for Dan Girardi? Did I miss something?

Old
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
You guys complain about players getting overpaid on our team, and you have no problem with signing Girardi for $3M?

That would be equivalent to Rozsival's signing imo. Signing him for about double his actual value as a #5, maybe #4 defenseman.
Girardi should get no more then $2 million per year. He is a #5-6 D-man that is not getting any better at this stage in his development. Sather usually plays hardball with his RFA's though. Does he have arbitration rights?

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Girardi should get no more then $2 million per year. He is a #5-6 D-man that is not getting any better at this stage in his development. Sather usually plays hardball with his RFA's though. Does he have arbitration rights?
Yes.

And if Girardi opts to take him to arbitration, I have a feeling he will go the way of Dominic Moore and be traded to another team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Cherepanisimov

My turn my turn my turn

Sign Kovalchuk for 8 years. Sign a decent top 4 defenseman (Hamhuis, Volch, Backman) Do something with Rozsival (Trade for picks/prospects or bury in Hartford). Trade Girardi or Gilroy and a pick for Versteeg. Bettman takes the team from Dolan for exceeding the cap.

Koval****-Anisimov-Gaborik
Grachev-Dubinsky-Versteeg
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Prust-Christ-Lisin/Voros

Staal-Del Zotto
Gilroy/Girardi-UFA
Redden-Sanguinetti

Enrique
Johnson

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I agree there UA...2 mil for him is as high as I would go...And that's only if he got into a new off-season regiment that not only bulked him up, but also added some more snarl to his game. Becuase others might be knocking on the door next season with much cheaper pricetags that come with that label more so than Girardi does. McDonogh, Sauer...hell what happens next season when Nigel Williams flattens a few people in training camp?

Old
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:

The time to trade him was the next day! I want to look around the locker room and know guys have my back, because I've got theirs! Not this team...no way to build team unity. A team needs to stand together, this team does not, and that was the most glaring example of it and it was unacceptable!

It is rash and a rush to judgement, but it is how I feel. Girardi will bring a good/similar return.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2010, 12:29 PM
UAGoalieGuy

In an ideal world (in my dreams) the following happens:

- Drury realizes he can't hack it anymore and retires.
- Sather swallows his pride and demotes Redden to Hartford.
- Roszival and Brashear are traded to Columbus for Husalius.
- Rangers sign Kovy to a 12 year $100 million contract, an about $8 million cap hit.
- Rangers sign Volchenkov at about $4 million per year.
- Re-sign Staal to 3 year contract at a cap hit of $3 million.
- Re-sign Girardi to a contract with a cap hit of $2 million.
- Re-sign Prust to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $600K.
- Re-sign Prospal to a 1 year $2 million contract.
- Re-sign Jokinen to a 2 year contract with a cap hit of $4.5 million ($5.5 this season and $3.5 next).
- Bring up one of Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen for the last D spot, I put Sangs in for numbers sake.

If the cap stays the way it is right now, the total salary would be $56.2 million with around $600K in cap space. The roster would look like so:

Prospal - Jokinen - Gaborik
Kovalchuk - Dubinsky - Husalius
Avery - Anisimov - Callahan
Voros - Boyle - Prust

Staal - MDZ
Volchenkov - Gilroy
Girardi - Sangs/Sauer/McD/Heikkanen

Lundqvist
Johnson

Again, this is in my dreams and probably has 0.001% chance of happening, but hey, a guy can dream.

And so I can show you how the salary works, here is the capgeek breakdown:

FORWARDS
* Ilya Kovalchuk ($8.300m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / * Kristian Husalius ($4.750m)
* Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / * Vaclav Prospal ($2.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Aaron Voros ($1.000m)
Artem Anisimov ($0.822m) / * Brandon Prust ($0.600m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
* Anton Volchenkov ($4.000m) / * Marc Staal ($3.000m)
* Daniel Girardi ($2.000m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m) / Bobby Sanguinetti ($0.855m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Chad Johnson ($0.850m)

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote