HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames and Stars talking?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2010, 10:22 AM
  #1
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Flames and Stars talking?

Darryl Sutter has made some interesting moves the past couple of days, moving out players where there have been whispers of them being malcontents and getting in return a collection of second line talent. The Flames are way over the number of forwards needed so something has to be in the works. Could he be talking with Dallas? There is circumstantial evidence to suggest he might be.

The day of the Oilers-Flames Hockey Day in Canada game he was returning from Texas after having watched the AHL Heat play the Dallas affiliate in Austin.

Just before that game took place the Flames jockeyed their minor league goaltenders, recalling David Shantz from the ECHL and sending Leland Irving to down from the AHL. This was a strange move in its own right, but to do so when the Flames GM was in attendance makes it interesting. There really is no reason for the Flames GM to take a trip to Austin to see the Heat play when he can get a direct flight to Abbottsford almost any time he likes. The timing of all of this is strange.

Later that day Sutter makes two franchise shaking trades that seem to defy logic, getting back a number of players that seem redundant or out of place. Could these players be part of a package that recoups something from the Stars? Could Dallas be in a position to trade away some salary for some middle market guys?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:29 AM
  #2
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,763
vCash: 500
I think it's possible that he makes a deal with Dallas because he was in Texas when he made the Phaneuf trade call. You figure he'd either be in Calgary in anticipation of a major presser or in Toronto scouting the players they acquired.

I do think something else is going to happen. They cleared Phaneuf's long term salary of 7+ million for a reason (and before you say that he wanted to "spread the money around", remember that he JUST signed Bouwmeester this past summer - I doubt he suddenly came to this conclusion).

WJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:30 AM
  #3
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz
 
wpgyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,742
vCash: 500
Well, just off the top of my head, Brad Richards or Mike Ribiero jump out as capable players to fill that No. 1 playmaking centre role alongside Iginla. Whether or not Dallas would be willing to part with one of those two remains to be seen; however, Richards' salary obviously presents a big chunk of change, and more likely if Dallas was to give up a piece like that, they'd want a major piece to improve a porous defence corps. Calgary didn't add much if anything to their blue-line through those two deals, so I can't seem them parting with one of Bouwmeester or Regehr.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:35 AM
  #4
Ozy_Flame
Registered User
 
Ozy_Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Too much conspiracy. He was in Austin to keep up with his development players; any good GM would do that. Perhaps he wanted to see their performance on the road.

Very unlikely something becomes of his trip to Texas, and also becoming very unlikely there's a follow-up trade to get someone better. Me things we're just going to have a lot of depth until the summer when we let a bunch of people walk.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 10:37 AM
  #5
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Calgary is currently 9th in the West with 62 points... Dallas is currently 10th in the West with 59 points and a game in hand.

What are the chances that these two teams trade with each other when they are both fighting for a playoff spot this season? Neither team is going to risk helping the other and put themselves in a position to miss the playoffs thanks to the team they just traded with.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
  #6
vofty
Registered User
 
vofty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
Darryl Sutter has made some interesting moves the past couple of days, moving out players where there have been whispers of them being malcontents and getting in return a collection of second line talent. The Flames are way over the number of forwards needed so something has to be in the works. Could he be talking with Dallas? There is circumstantial evidence to suggest he might be.
Dallas doesn't need forwards they need defense and goaltending! Plus Austin is >4 hours from Frisco, where the Stars offices are located, not like he could just pop over for a meeting with Joe. Also I doubt he was looking at any of Dallas' prospects, Dallas has a rather shallow prospect pool now that Neal, Benn, Eriksson, Wandell, Fistric have all graduated, the important piece that is still there (Vishnevskiy) won't be going anywhere.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
  #7
St. Pats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
Calgary is currently 9th in the West with 62 points... Dallas is currently 10th in the West with 59 points and a game in hand.

What are the chances that these two teams trade with each other when they are both fighting for a playoff spot this season? Neither team is going to risk helping the other and put themselves in a position to miss the playoffs thanks to the team they just traded with.
The reason would have nothing to do with hockey. But rather finances. Sutter clears room to add salary. Can give Dallas guys coming off the books or reasonably priced. Those guys are easier to move. Because yes hockey wise you are right. Two teams battling for a playoff spot make a deal?

Unfortunately these days a lot of moves are made by sport franchises that have more to do with the owners stock market etc. fortunes than how it affects the team involved.

St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
  #8
cosmicnavigator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
The only player Dallas would be intrested is Iginla they desperately need a right handed shoot on forward.

Find it hard to see Calgary move him but Sutter seem to have lost it maybe he trade for 4 more forwards.

cosmicnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:10 PM
  #9
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 50
Why was Leland Irving sent to the ECHL? Has he been bad lately?

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:12 PM
  #10
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicnavigator View Post
The only player Dallas would be intrested is Iginla they desperately need a right handed shoot on forward.

Find it hard to see Calgary move him but Sutter seem to have lost it maybe he trade for 4 more forwards.

Eriksson - Richards - Iginla =

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
  #11
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Why does everyone seem to think the Stars are going to be trading Richards? The team has plenty of cap space, he's our leading scorer, and runs the powerplay. They really aren't in the dire financial situation people seem to think they are in. And with the Rangers(MLB) sale expected to be finalized by April or so, Hicks will have plenty of money. Unless the Stars just fall completely out of it and decide to go for an all-out rebuild, I cant see it happening.

__________________
Chaos is always right.

-Vagrant
Chaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:19 PM
  #12
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
The reason would have nothing to do with hockey. But rather finances. Sutter clears room to add salary. Can give Dallas guys coming off the books or reasonably priced. Those guys are easier to move. Because yes hockey wise you are right. Two teams battling for a playoff spot make a deal?

Unfortunately these days a lot of moves are made by sport franchises that have more to do with the owners stock market etc. fortunes than how it affects the team involved.
so why does Dallas help Calgary clear up salary so they can improve their team this season, if they are both competing for the same playoff spots?

Does Calgary have anything that improves Dallas enough for Dallas to consider taking on salary? And does Calgary risk sending parts that could improve Dallas when they are so close in the standings and could well be competing against each other for a playoff spot?

I don't see how either team has any incentive to help the other out by clearing salaries to further improve their team, or sending players that help the other team.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
  #13
enthropi
Hiss Hiss (TKA) Hiss
 
enthropi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,876
vCash: 500
So he made a trip to Texas to save on long-distance internet fees? Or maybe he had to go there because Sather and Burke are flooding his email accounts with LOLmails...

enthropi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:36 PM
  #14
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South Korea
Country: United States
Posts: 15,104
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Why does everyone seem to think the Stars are going to be trading Richards? The team has plenty of cap space, he's our leading scorer, and runs the powerplay. They really aren't in the dire financial situation people seem to think they are in. And with the Rangers(MLB) sale expected to be finalized by April or so, Hicks will have plenty of money. Unless the Stars just fall completely out of it and decide to go for an all-out rebuild, I cant see it happening.
Next year's budget is expected to be similar to this season's. Help is not imminent.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:37 PM
  #15
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,081
vCash: 500
Man, Sutter gets around, doesn't he?

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:39 PM
  #16
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Dreger said Leafs and Dallas were talking trade, but clearly that never happened..
Maybe Dallas is interested in one of Calgarys Ex Leaf forwards

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
  #17
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,840
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Dreger said Leafs and Dallas were talking trade, but clearly that never happened..
Maybe Dallas is interested in one of Calgarys Ex Leaf forwards
Well I can't see them bringing Hagman back. They may have been interested in White, though.

__________________
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands!
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2010, 03:59 PM
  #18
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Why was Leland Irving sent to the ECHL? Has he been bad lately?
The theory is that Shantz was brought up to be showcased at the AHL level.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
  #19
St. Pats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
so why does Dallas help Calgary clear up salary so they can improve their team this season, if they are both competing for the same playoff spots?

Does Calgary have anything that improves Dallas enough for Dallas to consider taking on salary? And does Calgary risk sending parts that could improve Dallas when they are so close in the standings and could well be competing against each other for a playoff spot?

I don't see how either team has any incentive to help the other out by clearing salaries to further improve their team, or sending players that help the other team.
Depends on how true the rumors are about Hick's financial situation. Would the like to be rid of Richards salary. In return they take back a couple of the UFA/RFA's that Sutter has stockpiled. Next year they let them walk and bring up some young guys. Salary down. Still competitive this year.

But that is why the speculation exists that Richards is moved and so it really comes down to is Hick's intending to cut the payroll?

St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
  #20
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Depends on how true the rumors are about Hick's financial situation. Would the like to be rid of Richards salary. In return they take back a couple of the UFA/RFA's that Sutter has stockpiled. Next year they let them walk and bring up some young guys. Salary down. Still competitive this year.

But that is why the speculation exists that Richards is moved and so it really comes down to is Hick's intending to cut the payroll?
That's the logic behind such a move. Hicks appears to be liquidating his sports holdings, so the Stars, who are suffering at the gate, are likely next to have to shed some substantial dollars. Richards seems to be the guy most likely to head out of town.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:31 PM
  #21
Knowledge*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
That's the logic behind such a move. Hicks appears to be liquidating his sports holdings, so the Stars, who are suffering at the gate, are likely next to have to shed some substantial dollars. Richards seems to be the guy most likely to head out of town.
So, are you saying Richards may be on the market, behind the scenes?

Knowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
  #22
GaryU
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Schaumburg,Il
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Good luck getting the Stars best player for the stuff you got from the Leafs...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:41 PM
  #23
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone
 
CGYPUKSUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hockey Purgatory
Posts: 2,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slesh View Post
So, are you saying Richards may be on the market, behind the scenes?
Yes, I think there are all sorts of indicators there to lead one to that belief.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:53 PM
  #24
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,840
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Van Whalen View Post
Yes, I think there are all sorts of indicators there to lead one to that belief.
Well his value probably hasn't been this high since 2004, so they'd get quite a return for him in any trade.

But I'd still rather keeep him around.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
  #25
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,981
vCash: 500
In my wildest dreams the Flames trade Kiprusoff, something and Hagman for Turco, something and Richards...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.