HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conboy signs with San Jose

Closed Thread

Old
04-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Mr Brownstone

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
Honestly, I sure hope that's the case. I'd rather have someone out there giving 100% and getting 20-30 points a season, than someone who floats around and gives 25%but pulls off 60-70 points (only beacuse everyone else feeds him the puck). Just my opinion though. I mean, it's not like he's a prospect any more and he has yet to make a dent in the SJ lineup yet. Maybe he'd do better elsewhere, I don't know.
Zalesak's work ethic just isn't there. He might do better somewhere else, but if he ever makes the NHL, he's no more than a third-liner.

I forgot about Fielder and Macho. I really hope Gill and Joseph are re-signed. It gives us an even stronger lineup because we will be minus DiSalvatore and Goc all year for sure. Maybe Clowe too.

Old
04-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Kevin Wey

I still think there's a chance Goc will start in Cleveland, depending who all San Jose retains and San Jose's health. I can't look in the mirror and tell myself Vincent Damphousse shouldn't be resigned.

Sc1: Marleau-Damphousse-Dimitrakos
Sc2: Ekman-McCauley-Korolyuk
Sc3: Sturm-Brown-Cheechoo
Sc4: Primeau-Smith-Michalek

If Michalek isn't healthy, then yeah, Goc has a real chance. I personally wouldn't have a problem with Harvey being retained regardless. Where's Thornton? Not in San Jose. He's injury prone and no longer effective. He's not unlike Owen Nolan now. If you plug in Thornton still, then Goc's odds get worse. (Notice Niko is on the first line, that combo is working, just like it did late last season. San Jose may have two true lines with real chemistry next year.)

That line-up may seem lacking physicality, but it's speedy and good on the forecheck. I mean, it's not much different than what's about to sweep Colorado. (Thornton is injured again.) This is why retaining Harvey can make sense.

Obviously, nobody wants Goc up as a scratch.

If San Jose retains Harvey, regardless of Michalek, Goc starts in Cleveland (unless say Sturm or McCauley is having problems still).

All said, yeah, Goc could play over half the season in the NHL next season, as he and Clowe should be the first two recalls as I see it.

I'm hopeful Zalesak and Fahey are moved to other NHL teams, perhaps Washington. (Do you all get the feeling I think Washington is now bereft of talent? You plug Fahey into the Caps and he becomes their top offensive defenseman. (don't tell me Boumedienne is better offensively than Fahey.) You can't tell me Zalesak couldn't compete for a spot on Washington's second line.

Hopefully Fibiger can catch on somewhere too. I'd expect Chicago and Calgary to consider it, and Washington should. Fibiger is a Group VI free agent, so...Washington should be free to go at him.

Old
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
I still think there's a chance Goc will start in Cleveland, depending who all San Jose retains and San Jose's health. I can't look in the mirror and tell myself Vincent Damphousse shouldn't be resigned.
Yeah, I expect one of Ricci or Damphousse to stay for continuity reasons, and right now Vinnie really seems to be the obvious choice. As long as he asks for reasonable money of course.

Old
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Ok...I know how premature to talk about next year, but hell, it's fun. I say keep Smitty, and make him the 13th forward. Assuming, and that is a big assumption, the Sharks sign Vinny, I would do this to start the year:

Sturm-Marleau-Niko
Ekman-McCauley-Korky
Michalek-Vinny-Cheech
Brown-Goc-Primeau

Old
04-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Kevin Wey

To me, playing Goc over Smith really makes San Jose too unphysical. (There are other reasons I can't personally accept Goc being played over Smith: I'd encourage him to punch Doug Wilson in the mouth Remember when Wilson said...)

Smith becomes important as an energy forward with scrappiness, speed, face-off ability, and he will fight some. To me, right now, Goc just can't compete with Smith. Smith brings more to the table right now. In the future, yeah, I expect Goc to surpass Smith, but...a team with McCauley and Brown really has no NEED to insert a player like Goc in the line-up.

Harvey's scrappiness is why, after his season, I'm in favor of retaining him. (Just show up to camp in shape ) To me, I'd push Harvey as the 13th forward and then Parker as the enforcer. Said 13th forward would play at least 40 games if he stays healthy too, because not everyone else will remain healthy or unsuspended, etc. The reason I push Smith over Harvey is because Smith is faster and Smith is pretty good in the face-off circle.

If Michalek isn't good to go, then inserting Goc and keeping Harvey as the 13th still...no problem with that, assuming Goc could outperform Harvey in camp. (Same goes for Clowe, he brings a lot to the table and is a different player than most of San Jose's forwards. The only player they have like him is Cheechoo. I see Clowe as the lesser version of Cheechoo, in that Clowe doesn't have Cheechoo's goal-scoring ability.)

Old
04-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Crazed is right on Conboy. It's true, from what I've been told by people in St. Cloud semi-close to the team, is that Conboy has had at least a couple incidents with teammates and then also a couple academic problems.
A couple?! Now THERE's the understatement of the year.

Old
04-27-2004, 11:36 PM
a89mogilny89

Send a message via ICQ to a89mogilny89 Send a message via AIM to a89mogilny89 Send a message via MSN to a89mogilny89 Send a message via Yahoo to a89mogilny89
Well, Conboy was a healthy etech tonight, and I expect him to continue to be unless Mulick, Labenski, and Cloutier all end up being scratched.

Old
04-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
A couple?! Now THERE's the understatement of the year.
He's intense, no doubt at all. Sometimes borderline psycho. Those guys are kinda fun to have on a team, because the opposition knows that they are somewhat nuts, but chemistry is always a question. If he fits in, he'll be a godsend, and if not, he'll be let go quickly. Kinda no in-between on him. I think Cleveland will love him. Talk about a lunchpail kid, Conboy is it.

~Crazed.

Closed Thread